The 2013-14 Tournament Schedule

Old college threads.
Adventure Temple Trail
Auron

The 2013-14 Tournament Schedule

Post by Adventure Temple Trail »

Per Nick in the other thread: let's talk about it! I'd rather not run the updating calendar post a la Andrew Hart the past two years, but perhaps someone can do that in a post right below mine. I figure I may as well start the opening thread with my own thoughts and concerns.

Seems like we have two regular-difficulty events for the fall, and ACF Fall. Anything else on the radar there? Seems like there might be room for an EFT- or MUT-difficulty event in early October if Fall isn't running then, or on that first November weekend if Fall relinquishes its traditional spot from earlier climes. Is Collegiate Novice happening again? There may additionally be room for something more in late November/early December. Are rumors of Minnesota Open's death correct?

In the spring, it seems like SCT, Regionals, ICT, and Nationals are all good to go again. Are any other events returning? Who else is up for writing another event besides those four?

ISSUES WORTH DISCUSSING (perhaps in split threads):
-How many events should be packet-sub, and when should they be? How much practice should teams be getting writing packets, and how can we balance this out better across the year so we don't have 1 packet sub event in the fall and 5 in the spring again?
-A tournament in late January should probably be a thing. (this looks feasible)
-Scheduling collegiate nationals to avoid NHBB and MSNCT conflicts if possible (this happened! yay!)
-How big a deal is it if two tournaments are on adjacent weekends?
-How many tournaments there should be that are harder than regular? Last year, only MO was significantly harder during the regular year and QUARK was regular-plus; this was fine by me, and I frankly don't think we need two hard tournaments per year if both only get 20 teams apiece to play them (which is about the number that MO or Peaceful Resolution actually draws).
-Getting new and good science editors into the writing/editing game (perhaps this deserves a separate thread where someone with science experience can suss out these people and try assigning them to events that need science help)
-Who wants to write stuff but doesn't have a writing team? If people volunteer to help create a set, but couldn't do it on their own, writing teams might be able to glob together when otherwise-atomized individuals wouldn't be able to.
-Dear God, people, if you want to write a set announce it early (preferably in this next month or so, but like September or so at the latest) so we don't get into scheduling conniptions mid-year. This caused big scheduling and packet-submission problems for Terrapin 2013. (we're pretty good on this score too)

FALL SEMESTER EVENTS:
Collegiate Novice 4 (September through October 5)
Michigan Fall Tournament (sub-regular) (October 5, 12) [packet-optional]
Penn Bowl (regular) (October 19, 26)
ACF Fall (easy) (November 2) [packet-sub]
<Delta Burke (easy) (November 9)>
DRAGOON (regular) (mid-late November)
Fernando Arrabal Tournament of the Absurd (crazy hard) (November 23)

SPRING SEMESTER EVENTS:
Terrapin?
WIT?
NAQT SCT (regular DI|easy DII) (February 8)
ACF Regionals (February 22) [packet-sub]
Cane Ridge Revival (March 1, March 8)
MUT (almost certainly March-April)
NAQT ICT (March 29)
ACF Nationals (April 12-13) [packet-sub]
Last edited by Adventure Temple Trail on Mon Aug 26, 2013 9:50 am, edited 12 times in total.
Matt Jackson
University of Chicago '24
Yale '14, Georgetown Day School '10
member emeritus, ACF
Tanay
Rikku

Re: The 2013-14 Tournament Schedule

Post by Tanay »

WIT will return. Perhaps that can be the late January event.
Tanay
ex-Berkeley, ex-Bellarmine
Rococo A Go Go
Auron

Post by Rococo A Go Go »

Thanks, Matt, for starting the discussion. There are a few things I wanted to discuss, which you brought up in your opening post.
RyuAqua wrote:that first November weekend if Fall relinquishes its traditional spot from earlier climes.
The early November spot isn't an ideal one for my team this year, but I still think Fall does best there rather than on another weekend. I would hate to see it moved earlier, although I guess if it wanted to switch with that mid-November DRAGOON spot I wouldn't see a huge issue.
RyuAqua wrote:-How many events should be packet-sub, and when should they be? How much practice should teams be getting writing packets, and how can we balance this out better across the year so we don't have 1 packet sub event in the fall and 5 in the spring again?
The first two announced events are house-writes, and while I'd like to see a housewritten EFT/IFT set materialize in early October, I think any other regular difficulty set (whether it be in the QUARK timeslot in early Fall or the THUNDER slot of early December) should try to be packet-submission. On the other hand, somebody should already start planning to have a housewrite in the spring.
RyuAqua wrote:Who wants to write stuff but doesn't have a writing team? If people volunteer to help create a set, but couldn't do it on their own, writing teams might be able to glob together when otherwise-atomized individuals wouldn't be able to.
I'm up for contributing to something personally. We should probably have a collaboration thread similar to last year.

I'm also going to repeat my call for an early December regular difficulty tournament. I think it is a viable option and would be happy to play a tournament during that time period. I also think it is a good idea for teams within each region to coordinate their regions' schedules, I know the Midwest did this via email this year. Perhaps a more collaborative version of the Southeastern Quizbowl Newsletter would be a good idea for some regions to emulate.
Nicholas C
KQBA member
Important Bird Area
Forums Staff: Administrator

Post by Important Bird Area »

RyuAqua wrote: -Scheduling collegiate nationals to avoid NHBB and MSNCT conflicts if possible
I believe this has been already been sorted out via private communication (in particular: ACF Nationals, NHBB Nationals, and MSNCT will be three distinct weekends in 2013-14, which I hope makes everyone's staff grids a bit easier to work with).

Edit: the 2014 MSNCT is planned for May 10th and 11th.
Jeff Hoppes
President, Northern California Quiz Bowl Alliance
former HSQB Chief Admin (2012-13)
VP for Communication and history subject editor, NAQT
Editor emeritus, ACF

"I wish to make some kind of joke about Jeff's love of birds, but I always fear he'll turn them on me Hitchcock-style." -Fred
Masked Canadian History Bandit
Rikku

Post by Masked Canadian History Bandit »

While it was fun traveling to Brown and Yale and competing in the Northeast for a bunch of tournaments, could whatever caused most of UMD's tournaments to be inconveniently held on Sundays not happen next year?

EDIT: To clarify, I don't have anything against Sunday tournaments in particular, but the rest of Penn seems to always prefer tournaments on Saturdays, and are willing to travel significantly further (e.g. Brown), which is IMHO a bunch of wasted time.

EDIT2: I know my teammates have good reasons that they've probably mentioned, but I've forgotten and are not religiously devout or something like that.
Last edited by Masked Canadian History Bandit on Fri May 03, 2013 12:08 am, edited 2 times in total.
Patrick Liao
Lisgar Collegiate Institute 2011, University of Pennsylvania 2015, University of Toronto Faculty of Law 2019
Cody
2008-09 Male Athlete of the Year

Post by Cody »

What is your objection to Sunday tournaments?
Cody Voight, VCU ’14.
Auks Ran Ova
Forums Staff: Chief Administrator

Post by Auks Ran Ova »

None of the editors of any MO held thus far have expressed any interest in continuing it next year, myself included. At the very least, it's taking a hiatus, and will not be run next year.

MUT, on the other hand, will run again in the spring. I will be producing it in concert with members of the Minnesota team and, likely, some other collaborators.
Rob Carson
University of Minnesota '11, MCTC '??, BHSU forever
Member, ACF
Member emeritus, PACE
Writer and Editor, NAQT
ValenciaQBowl
Auron

Post by ValenciaQBowl »

I call November 9 for Delta Burke, though that doesn't usually interfere with any of y'all's bidness. I just assume/hope ACF Fall will shoot for November 2.
Chris Borglum
Valencia College Grand Poobah
Nine-Tenths Ideas
Auron

Post by Nine-Tenths Ideas »

Terrapin will be happening again this year. Expect us to announce it relatively soon.
Isaac Hirsch
University of Maryland '14
Never Gonna Play Again
evilmonkey
Yuna

Post by evilmonkey »

Re: the Sunday issue - My speculation is that there's a difference to some between spending a full day playing quizbowl and getting home at 8 when you have no obligations (or church) in the morning, and when you have class (or work) in the morning. While I prefer Saturday tournaments, and have no relevance to the discussion of tournaments in the Northeast, I'm not categorically opposed to Sunday tournaments.
Bryce Durgin
Culver Academies '07
University of Notre Dame '11
Texas A&M '15
grapesmoker
Sin

Post by grapesmoker »

Ukonvasara wrote:None of the editors of any MO held thus far have expressed any interest in continuing it next year, myself included. At the very least, it's taking a hiatus, and will not be run next year.

MUT, on the other hand, will run again in the spring. I will be producing it in concert with members of the Minnesota team and, likely, some other collaborators.
Would there be any interest in having my open master's tournament take the usual place of MO on the docket? It would be a one-time thing (I don't plan to ever do this again) but if there's demand for one crazy-hard open during the year, I am well-positioned to fill it.
Jerry Vinokurov
ex-LJHS, ex-Berkeley, ex-Brown, sorta-ex-CMU
presently: John Jay College Economics
code ape, loud voice, general nuissance
Cheynem
Sin

Post by Cheynem »

I would rather see that in the summer if at all possible.
Mike Cheyne
Formerly U of Minnesota

"You killed HSAPQ"--Matt Bollinger
grapesmoker
Sin

Post by grapesmoker »

Cheynem wrote:I would rather see that in the summer if at all possible.
I'm targeting August right now, so it can definitely happen in the summer, but I thought I'd see if people would be interested in this alternative or would be more likely to show up.
Jerry Vinokurov
Muriel Axon
Tidus

Post by Muriel Axon »

For what it's worth (i.e. not much) I would be more likely to come if it were in the MO spot.
Shan Kothari

Plymouth High School '10
Michigan State University '14
University of Minnesota '20
Mike Bentley
Sin

Post by Mike Bentley »

I've always enjoyed the fall open tournament. The summer is already reasonably crowded with open events.
Mike Bentley
Treasurer, Partnership for Academic Competition Excellence
Adviser, Quizbowl Team at University of Washington
University of Maryland, Class of 2008
Cheynem
Sin

Post by Cheynem »

Is the summer actually crowded? There's CO and VCU Open, which I thought was tentatively going to be paired with Jerry's thing as a weekend fest.
Mike Cheyne
Formerly U of Minnesota

"You killed HSAPQ"--Matt Bollinger
Sima Guang Hater
Auron

Post by Sima Guang Hater »

I would like Arrabal to take the MO spot, partly because it would push NHB to a weekend day, partly because I like having a fall open to play, and partly because then I have something to pair Lederberg 2 with.
Eric Mukherjee, MD PhD
Brown 2009, Penn Med 2018
Instructor/Attending Physician/Postdoctoral Fellow, Vanderbilt University Medical Center
Coach, University School of Nashville

“The next generation will always surpass the previous one. It’s one of the never-ending cycles in life.”
Support the Stevens-Johnson Syndrome Foundation
Tees-Exe Line
Tidus

Post by Tees-Exe Line »

grapesmoker wrote:
Ukonvasara wrote:None of the editors of any MO held thus far have expressed any interest in continuing it next year, myself included. At the very least, it's taking a hiatus, and will not be run next year.

Would there be any interest in having my open master's tournament take the usual place of MO on the docket? It would be a one-time thing (I don't plan to ever do this again) but if there's demand for one crazy-hard open during the year, I am well-positioned to fill it.
I am strongly in favor of a hard tournament happening in the autumn if MO isn't. If Jerry's is the only possible candidate, then that would be great.
Marshall I. Steinbaum

Oxford University (2002-2005)
University of Chicago (2008-2014)
University of Utah (2019- )

Get in the elevator.
Kyle
Auron

Post by Kyle »

The second Oxford Open is likely to run (under mostly new management) on January 25. I don't know if that will tempt anyone, but potentially it is a convenient date for any university whose spring semester begins on January 27.
Kyle Haddad-Fonda
Harvard '09
Oxford '13
naan/steak-holding toll
Auron

Post by naan/steak-holding toll »

Cheynem wrote:Is the summer actually crowded? There's CO and VCU Open, which I thought was tentatively going to be paired with Jerry's thing as a weekend fest.
I thought there was also a plan to run NHBB College Nationals on Sunday at VCU Open. I'd definitely like to see that happen.
Will Alston
Dartmouth College '16
Columbia Business School '21
ThisIsMyUsername
Auron

Post by ThisIsMyUsername »

Chicago is planning on writing a spring open tournament with a couple of members of the Dartmouth team, with a release date in the early spring (in the old HI / Peaceful Resolution slot). This will be either at Regionals+ or Nats-level difficulty. (I'm open to input as to which would be better for the circuit.)

I will be serving as head editor for the tournament and as subject editor for Lit and Fine Arts; Marshall will edit History, Social Science, and Current Events; Seth Teitler will edit Physics and Mythology. We are currently negotiating to find a biology/chem editor and a religion editor. The tournament will be written slowly over the course of the summer and the next school year, so that the writers can get extensive feedback from the editing team. My goal is not only to produce a good tournament, but also to give a lot of valuable training to the younger writers involved to hopefully produce writers/editors who will go on to be involved in other projects.
John Lawrence
Yale University '12
King's College London '13
University of Chicago '20

“I am not absentminded. It is the presence of mind that makes me unaware of everything else.” - G.K. Chesterton
Rococo A Go Go
Auron

Post by Rococo A Go Go »

Anybody from ACF care to elaborate on what might happen with their tournaments next year? For instance, when might we expect dates to be announced?
Nicholas C
KQBA member
Susan

Post by Susan »

Sulawesi Myzomela wrote:Anybody from ACF care to elaborate on what might happen with their tournaments next year? For instance, when might we expect dates to be announced?
Within a few days.
Susan
UChicago alum (AB 2003, PhD 2009)
Member emerita, ACF
Excelsior (smack)
Rikku

Post by Excelsior (smack) »

I will be serving as head editor for the tournament and as subject editor for Lit and Fine Arts; Marshall will edit History, Social Science, and Current Events; Seth Teitler will edit Physics and Mythology. We are currently negotiating to find a biology/chem editor and a religion editor.
Philosophy and other science?
Ashvin Srivatsa
Corporate drone '?? | Yale University '14 | Sycamore High School (OH) '10
Tale of Mac Datho's Pachycephalosaur
Wakka

Post by Tale of Mac Datho's Pachycephalosaur »

RyuAqua wrote: -Getting new and good science editors into the writing/editing game (perhaps this deserves a separate thread where someone with science experience can suss out these people and try assigning them to events that need science help)
-Who wants to write stuff but doesn't have a writing team? If people volunteer to help create a set, but couldn't do it on their own, writing teams might be able to glob together when otherwise-atomized individuals wouldn't be able to.
I am interested to start editing my usual suspect categories of physics, astronomy, math, and earth science for some sort of tournament in the spring--reminding potential collaborators that I have exactly zero editing experience. I'd prefer for the tournament to be regular difficulty or below.
Zach Pace
Clarence High School '10, University at Buffalo '14
Writer, NAQT; Reader, NY MasterMinds
Space Advocate, Amateur Astronomer, and Occasional STEM Pundit
You don't want me anywhere near literature that's not sci-fi or written in Latin. Seriously.
ThisIsMyUsername
Auron

Post by ThisIsMyUsername »

Excelsior (smack) wrote:
I will be serving as head editor for the tournament and as subject editor for Lit and Fine Arts; Marshall will edit History, Social Science, and Current Events; Seth Teitler will edit Physics and Mythology. We are currently negotiating to find a biology/chem editor and a religion editor.
Philosophy and other science?
Seth is most likely doing misc. science, and I will probably be editing the Philosophy.
John Lawrence
Yale University '12
King's College London '13
University of Chicago '20

“I am not absentminded. It is the presence of mind that makes me unaware of everything else.” - G.K. Chesterton
Susan

Post by Susan »

Susan wrote:
Sulawesi Myzomela wrote:Anybody from ACF care to elaborate on what might happen with their tournaments next year? For instance, when might we expect dates to be announced?
Within a few days.
Fall: November 2, 2013
Regionals: February 22, 2014
Nationals: April 12-13, 2014
Susan
UChicago alum (AB 2003, PhD 2009)
Member emerita, ACF
Adventure Temple Trail
Auron

Thanks, Susan.

How about NAQT? I take it that SCT will be two weeks before Regionals, as is traditional; will ICT be two weeks before ACF Nationals or two weeks after, given that after seems to be an option?

And it seems like Fall did go for its traditional November spot. Does anyone have thoughts of putting together an event for early October, ideally a Fall-level or EFT-level event?
Matt Jackson
member emeritus, ACF
jonpin
Auron

Post by jonpin »

While I can't speak for him, Dave Madden announced some time ago that he had already booked the Crystal Gateway the weekend of April 26-27 for NHBB. Easter is April 20, so presumably ICT will again precede ACF Nationals.
Jon Pinyan
Coach, Bergen County Academies (NJ); former player for BCA (2000-03) and WUSTL (2003-07)
HSQB forum mod, PACE member
Stat director for: NSC '13-'15, '17; ACF '14, '17, '19; NHBB '13-'15; NASAT '11

"A [...] wizard who controls the weather" - Jerry Vinokurov
Sam
Rikku

Post by Sam »

RyuAqua wrote:Thanks, Susan.

How about NAQT? I take it that SCT will be two weeks before Regionals, as is traditional; will ICT be two weeks before ACF Nationals or two weeks after, given that after seems to be an option?

And it seems like Fall did go for its traditional November spot. Does anyone have thoughts of putting together an event for early October, ideally a Fall-level or EFT-level event?
Is there a reason it should be Fall- or EFT-level? I understand the usefulness of having new players come to appropriate difficulty tournaments as soon as possible, but Fall still very much exists and for complete novices there is now also Collegiate Novice.
Sam Bailey
Minnesota '21
Chicago '13
Cody

Post by Cody »

One (maybe two) tournaments isn't a great introduction to quizbowl before throwing (new) people into regular difficulty.
Cody Voight, VCU ’14.
evilmonkey
Yuna

Post by evilmonkey »

SirT wrote:One (maybe two) tournaments isn't a great introduction to quizbowl before throwing (new) people into regular difficulty.
I agree. The fall is the key time to brainwash new people into the belief that quizbowl is awesome. However, the vast majority of potential team members will not be at all ready for regular difficulty (and some will be challenged greatly even by fall level questions). I'd prefer not to say "You get a really easy tournament that's not really representative of college quizbowl in September, ACF Fall in November, and that's it for difficulty appropriate questions for you" to those members who have not yet decided they actually want to do quizbowl.
Bryce Durgin
Culver Academies '07
Texas A&M '15
marnold
Tidus

Post by marnold »

People who need 3 tournaments in a semester just for them before they play big-mean-scary regular difficulty aren't going to play quizbowl for long anyway.
Michael Arnold
Chicago 2010
Columbia Law 2013

2009 ACF Nats Champion
2010 ICT Champion
2010 CULT Champion
Member of Mike Cheyne's Quizbowl All-Heel Team

Fundamental Theorem of Quizbowl (Revised): Almost no one is actually good at quizbowl.
Matt Weiner
Sin

Post by Matt Weiner »

I still support moving Fall a full month earlier in future years so the opening of the everybody-plays season isn't delayed to November.

Failing that: how about a mid-September tournament this year? The vast majority of colleges start in late August. If this is targeted as a regular event and not at new players, recruiting beforehand won't be a concern.
Matt Weiner
Advisor to Quizbowl at Virginia Commonwealth University / Founder of hsquizbowl.org
AKKOLADE
Sin

Post by AKKOLADE »

One problem with the current schedule is that the two most prominent easy tournaments are very early in the year, and that can be difficult for new teams to get organized in time to send players to. Obviously these tournaments aren't really focused on targeting established strong players or strong players from high school; what's left as a target audience are brand new programs and weaker players at established programs. It's poorly planned to hold only 2 events for that group, and even worse to schedule them when it's nigh impossible for a significant number teams to actually be able to go.
Fred Morlan
University of Kentucky CoP, 2017
International Quiz Bowl Tournaments, CEO, co-owner
former PACE member, president, etc.
former hsqbrank manager, former NAQT writer & subject editor, former hsqb Administrator/Chief Administrator
Important Bird Area

Post by Important Bird Area »

RyuAqua wrote:How about NAQT? I take it that SCT will be two weeks before Regionals, as is traditional; will ICT be two weeks before ACF Nationals or two weeks after, given that after seems to be an option?
SCT: February 8, 2014
ICT: March 29, 2014
Jeff Hoppes
President, Northern California Quiz Bowl Alliance
former HSQB Chief Admin (2012-13)
VP for Communication and history subject editor, NAQT
Editor emeritus, ACF

"I wish to make some kind of joke about Jeff's love of birds, but I always fear he'll turn them on me Hitchcock-style." -Fred
evilmonkey
Yuna

Post by evilmonkey »

marnold wrote:People who need 3 tournaments in a semester just for them before they play big-mean-scary regular difficulty aren't going to play quizbowl for long anyway.
No. But people who are the major targets of these tournaments probably aren't committed enough yet that they'll make all three, either. You're probably lucky if they make one, because the first one landed on the scholarship luncheon they had to attend, and the second one is on the week that their parents have decided to come up and visit them (or something).
Bryce Durgin
Culver Academies '07
Texas A&M '15
ValenciaQBowl
Auron

Post by ValenciaQBowl »

I'll remind folks that Delta Burke is probably between Collegiate Novice and ACF Fall in difficulty (maybe closer to the latter) and would be available for cheap mirroring in late November/early December or even early spring. So you can give the newbies another intro-level tournament while also exposing them to scatology and socialist snark.
Chris Borglum
Valencia College Grand Poobah
kdroge
Wakka

Post by kdroge »

I believe us at Michigan are going to be running a tournament in the October timeslot that we've run MOO and QUARK in the past two years. This will probably involve packet submission to some extent. In terms of difficulty, it seems like there'd be room for either a regular difficulty event or a regular plus event- do people have a preference across these alternatives?

Also, we're currently looking for a science editor for this tournament, so, if you'd be interested, feel free to talk to either Will or I about this.
Kurtis Droge
East Lansing 08, Michigan 12, Louisville 17
Cody

Post by Cody »

A below-Fall-level tournament doesn't really serve the purpose of transitioning new people to regular difficulty. Ideally, another IFT level (between Fall and Regionals) will pop up.

I'd prefer Michigan didn't write another tournament, even packet sub, but since you can't be convinced otherwise, it would be better if it were regular.
Cody Voight, VCU ’14.
Sam
Rikku

Post by Sam »

kdroge wrote:I believe us at Michigan are going to be running a tournament in the October timeslot that we've run MOO and QUARK in the past two years. This will probably involve packet submission to some extent. In terms of difficulty, it seems like there'd be room for either a regular difficulty event or a regular plus event- do people have a preference across these alternatives?
I'd like to see a tournament somewhere between Fall and EFT, to ease people into the transition from Fall to not-quite-Regionals level difficulty.
Sam Bailey
Minnesota '21
Chicago '13
1992 in spaceflight
Auron

Post by 1992 in spaceflight »

I like Sam's idea-in-between Fall and EFT would be an excellent way to help people transition from Fall to not-quite Regionals difficulty. If that doesn't work out, I think it's best if Michigan edits a regular difficulty event.
Jacob O'Rourke
Washington (MO) HS Assistant Coach (2014-Present); MOQBA Secretary (2015-Present)
Formerly: AQBL Administrator (2020-2023); HSAPQ Host Contact; NASAT Outreach Coordinator (2016 and 2017); Kirksville HS Assistant Coach (2012-2014); Truman State '14; and Pacific High (MO) '10

Like MOQBA on Facebook and follow us on Twitter!
Frater Taciturnus
Auron

Post by Frater Taciturnus »

If Jerry's tournament is indeed happening in the fall, I would personally prefer if no other fall tournaments exceeded Regionals and/or "regular" difficulty.
Janet Berry
[email protected]
she/they
--------------
J. Sargeant Reynolds CC 2008, 2009, 2014
Virginia Commonwealth 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013,
Douglas Freeman 2005, 2006, 2007
grapesmoker
Sin

Post by grapesmoker »

Frater Taciturnus wrote:If Jerry's tournament is indeed happening in the fall, I would personally prefer if no other fall tournaments exceeded Regionals and/or "regular" difficulty.
So I'm sensing that people would prefer this, but I don't want to push anything on anyone. I would like to hear more from masters players who would be the main target of such an event.
Jerry Vinokurov
1992 in spaceflight
Auron

Post by 1992 in spaceflight »

So is Collegiate Novice happening next year? My apologies if I'm jumping the gun before an announcement.
Jacob O'Rourke
Washington (MO) HS Assistant Coach (2014-Present); MOQBA Secretary (2015-Present)
Formerly: AQBL Administrator (2020-2023); HSAPQ Host Contact; NASAT Outreach Coordinator (2016 and 2017); Kirksville HS Assistant Coach (2012-2014); Truman State '14; and Pacific High (MO) '10

Like MOQBA on Facebook and follow us on Twitter!
No Rules Westbrook
Auron

Post by No Rules Westbrook »

I hope that there will be one hard open-level event during the fall...I'd rather have Jerry's event played in August, and have another event take the usual place of MO as a hard open.

If the Michigan guys want to write that type of hard open, that's a possibility.

Either way, I'll probably show up to any scheduled hard open tourney.
Ryan Westbrook, no affiliation whatsoever.

I am pure energy...and as ancient as the cosmos. Feeble creatures, GO!

Left here since birth...forgotten in the river of time...I've had an eternity to...ponder the meaning of things...and now I have an answer!
Adventure Temple Trail
Auron

To revive this discussion: I've now been a teammate to several people who were on very competitive teams in high school, or were very good players themselves, and I can't think of a single one of them (myself included) who didn't benefit from the existence of another sub-regular tournament besides Fall their first year. No matter which way you slice it, the jump from high school to college is quite a jump, and that EFT/IFT-type set has been a really good tool for showing people the ways in which college quizbowl is different from high school without being as large and discomfiting a leap as it could otherwise be. From the experiences I've seen I'm squarely on the side of such a "Fall+ / Regionals-" tournament existing in the fall. I know at least that Will Nediger is open to this from talking to him off-boards; would other returning Michigan people really be stridently against this? Writing a tournament that's more like EFT or MUT will still result in lots of improvement for the writers and will definitely improve the circuit as a whole.
Matt Jackson
member emeritus, ACF
Adventure Temple Trail
Auron

Updated the 1st post with all publicly-available current information.

Jerry, do you have any updates on when your crazy open will be?

Berkeley/Maryland/Rob Carson: Any further ideas about when your events will be, what they'll look like (packet sub, difficulty, etc.), and who will edit them? On the surface it seems as though there's only room for two more events without overstuffing the spring calendar (one in late January, one in late March, perhaps running into the between-Nats or post-Nats weeks in some areas) - has there been any thought of consolidation?
Matt Jackson
member emeritus, ACF
Cody

Post by Cody »

The last Maryland tournament run on MLK weekend seemed to work quite well (at least in the Mid-Atlantic); that should be considered.
Cody Voight, VCU ’14.
Auks Ran Ova
Forums Staff: Chief Administrator

Post by Auks Ran Ova »

MUT will almost certainly, like this past year, run at various weekends of convenience through late March and April.
Rob Carson
University of Minnesota '11, MCTC '??, BHSU forever
Member, ACF
Member emeritus, PACE
Writer and Editor, NAQT