Reading at NHBB Nationals and making $ while doing so

Old college threads.
Great Bustard
Auron

Reading at NHBB Nationals and making $ while doing so

Post by Great Bustard »

My recent post in the NHB College Nationals thread is one way I've thought of to help encourage college players to help staff our high school Nationals tournament; here's a second. If you are a current student (grad student is fine, but you must be enrolled full-time at a college somewhere), and are able to come staff our National Championships, I will credit the difference of $200 minus your travel reimbursement.
Further details:
1. You would agree to arrive by no later than 6pm on Friday, and ideally, 4pm would be considerably better.
2. You would need to agree to stay (and read on Sunday) through 1pm Sunday.
3. You would get $25 for food on top of this.
4. You would get free room at the hotel on top of this
, but you would need to agree to quad occupancy (possibly less, but no guarantees on that point unless you're willing to pay the difference). That is to say travel reimbursement is simply the cost of you getting to the tournament and back. Typically, we reimburse for either $.15 a mile or gas receipts, whichever you prefer (within reason on receipts - we're not reimbursing a full tank for 20 miles round trip) if you're driving. Of course, if you carpool, then everyone gets to keep that much more cash.
5. You would read on Friday and not play the side events (Sports and Entertainment Bees)
6. This cannot be combined with the "Play College History Bowl for free or discounted rate" offer. Pick one or the other.
7. If you are a good reader and would like to read a playoff match, that can be arranged.
8. If you'd prefer to have Saturday night entirely at your disposal in DC, that's cool too. Just be ready to go at 6:45 on Sunday morning.
9. If too many people respond to this, I reserve the right to stop giving this discount (though those to whom I have already given it will get it no matter what).
10. This offer is valid for anyone who is generally competent, intelligent, can follow directions, read quickly and clearly without a thick accent, and knows how to pronounce generally common historical terms. That can include people from outside the current scope of quizbowl, so if you want to do it with some friends who don't otherwise play, that's fine, but our staff director needs to hear you read and ok it first.
11. Don't forget about the part about being a student. We're not looking to compensate our entire staff in this way, but rather provide an incentive for students to join us, who could both often use the $ more, and have greater reading experience.
So, to summarize, this is probably of greatest interest to anyone who can get to DC for under, say $100, as now you can make at least that amount, possibly considerably more, for the weekend, in addition to having travel covered. If you attend VCU, UVA, UMD, Penn, Delaware, Carnegie Mellon, Princeton, UNC, GWU, Georgetown, Virginia Tech, etc. and do not have plans to be at ACF Nationals that weekend, this is probably of particular interest to you.
Questions? Let me know. Thanks for your help.
David Madden
Ridgewood (NJ) '99, Princeton '03
Founder and Director: International History Bee and Bowl, National History Bee and Bowl (High School Division), International History Olympiad, United States Geography Olympiad, US History Bee, US Academic Bee and Bowl, National Humanities Bee, National Science Bee, International Academic Bowl.
Adviser and former head coach for Team USA at the International Geography Olympiad
Great Bustard
Auron

Re: Reading at NHBB Nationals and making $ while doing so

Post by Great Bustard »

Ok, so apparently my email address on the forums is not working (and I am unable to change it on my own, since my actual email must have been used for an account at some point that I no longer use). So, anyone who wishes to contact me about this offer or anything else, please email me at director at historybowl dot com or just send me a private message here. I apologize for any inconvenience; if one of the administrators can look into fixing this, so my email address as posted next to my username is at the historybowl dot com domain, I'd greatly appreciate it.
David Madden
Ridgewood (NJ) '99, Princeton '03
Founder and Director: International History Bee and Bowl, National History Bee and Bowl (High School Division), International History Olympiad, United States Geography Olympiad, US History Bee, US Academic Bee and Bowl, National Humanities Bee, National Science Bee, International Academic Bowl.
Adviser and former head coach for Team USA at the International Geography Olympiad
Susan
Forums Staff: Administrator

Re: Reading at NHBB Nationals and making $ while doing so

Post by Susan »

nationalhistorybeeandbowl wrote:if one of the administrators can look into fixing this, so my email address as posted next to my username is at the historybowl dot com domain, I'd greatly appreciate it.
You should be all set now--PM me or another admin if you're still having issues (although note that I won't see any PMs til the morning).
Susan
UChicago alum (AB 2003, PhD 2009)
Member emerita, ACF