Page 3 of 3

Re: Watkins-gate news media link collection - 19 Total

Posted: Tue Apr 09, 2013 11:25 am
by jonpin
[checks to make sure this is in the college realm of the board]
“The act of loading that Web page was a tiny little transgressive thrill,” he told me. “And if there was motive, I think that’s what it was.” Watkins, who’s now a graduate student at New York University, says that if he were more mature at the time, he might have told NAQT that he knowingly exploited a flaw in the security of its website.
hahahaahahhahha fuck you watkins

Re: Watkins-gate news media link collection - 19 Total

Posted: Tue Apr 09, 2013 11:45 am
by Sen. Estes Kefauver (D-TN)
lol christian b. flow

Re: Watkins-gate news media link collection - 19 Total

Posted: Tue Apr 09, 2013 11:50 am
by marnold
jonpin wrote:[checks to make sure this is in the college realm of the board]
“The act of loading that Web page was a tiny little transgressive thrill,” he told me. “And if there was motive, I think that’s what it was.” Watkins, who’s now a graduate student at New York University, says that if he were more mature at the time, he might have told NAQT that he knowingly exploited a flaw in the security of its website.
hahahaahahhahha fuck you watkins
This is awesome. I can't be bothered to look now, but in one of the 20 different threads about this both here and Forbidden Zone'd, Stephen said Andy's explanation "sucked balls" but this... this is beyond even my expectations.

Re: Watkins-gate news media link collection - 19 Total

Posted: Tue Apr 09, 2013 11:53 am
by Cheynem
It's actually so stupid that I'm tempted to believe it. Not in the "Oh, Andy didn't use this to benefit himself" way, but in the "Andy gets off on his thrills by messing up quizbowl."

Re: Watkins-gate news media link collection - 19 Total

Posted: Tue Apr 09, 2013 12:25 pm
by Gaterion
And now there's a MetaFilter post!

Re: Watkins-gate news media link collection - 19 Total

Posted: Tue Apr 09, 2013 12:38 pm
by Tees-Exe Line
One commenter writes: "There was a Stanford tournament where slugs of Jack Daniels were involved in one match. The BYU team were appalled."

All I can say is, YES!

Re: Watkins-gate news media link collection - 19 Total

Posted: Tue Apr 09, 2013 1:21 pm
by bmcke
"an exciting final game of NCAA basket ball"

When did Andy buzz on this Thailand question?

Re: Watkins-gate news media link collection - 19 Total

Posted: Tue Apr 09, 2013 2:03 pm
by grapesmoker
I love how the MetaFilter post brings out all these people who played at various Midwestern schools in 2002.

Re: Watkins-gate news media link collection - 19 Total

Posted: Tue Apr 09, 2013 2:20 pm
by Fond du lac operon
[Alman] denies the charge, saying in an email, “When I competed in tournaments, I was hearing the questions for the very first time."
Technically true, most likely! Good save, Alman.

Re: Watkins-gate news media link collection - 19 Total

Posted: Tue Apr 09, 2013 3:24 pm
by setht
grapesmoker wrote:I love how the MetaFilter post brings out all these people who played at various Midwestern schools in 2002.
And Fred! Did you ever meet Fred, or was she before your time?

-Seth

Re: Watkins-gate news media link collection - 19 Total

Posted: Tue Apr 09, 2013 4:34 pm
by The Bold Ideas of Bernie Sanders (I-VT)
bmcke wrote:"an exciting final game of NCAA basket ball"

When did Andy buzz on this Thailand question?
It was a bit after "Theravadan" had been said.

Re: Watkins-gate news media link collection - 19 Total

Posted: Tue Apr 09, 2013 4:35 pm
by jonpin
Fond du lac operon wrote:
[Alman] denies the charge, saying in an email, “When I competed in tournaments, I was hearing the questions for the very first time."
Technically true, most likely! Good save, Alman.
Yes, I noticed that and meant to mention it as well. You're a star, Josh.

Re: Watkins-gate news media link collection - 19 Total

Posted: Tue Apr 09, 2013 9:05 pm
by grapesmoker
setht wrote:
grapesmoker wrote:I love how the MetaFilter post brings out all these people who played at various Midwestern schools in 2002.
And Fred! Did you ever meet Fred, or was she before your time?

-Seth
Was Fred one of them? I never met her, no, which commenter was she?

edit: all we need now is some way to suss Nick Meyer out into the open and my life will come full circle.