Grad School / Post-College Plans For Seniors et al.

Old college threads.
Chris Frankel
Rikku

Grad School / Post-College Plans For Seniors et al.

Post by Chris Frankel »

Inspired by the thread about HS seniors' college plans and my own having sent in all but one of my law school apps (damn your extra "optional" essay, Duke!), I thought it would be interesting to get a survey of what all the seniors and other grad school applicants were looking at doing next year, and more importantly, whether or not everyone is planning to keep playing.

Off the top of my head, either through what I've heard or assumed, the following people should be moving on after this year (mention others of note if you know of any):

Matt Weiner
Matt Lafer
Leo Wolpert
Zeke Berdichevsky
Paul Litvak
Mike Sorice
Sudheer Potru
Dan Suzman
Micha Elsner
Chris White
Martin Devecka
comedy Jason Mueller option

As for me, I'm applying to law school, as mentioned before. Everything's really dependent on where I get in; Columbia, NYU, or Chicago are in my target area, but if I don't get in there I'll probably be looking at UT-Austin. Whether or not I play is dependent on the status of the team at whatever school I go to, but I'd like to continue. I'm sure we can follow up this thread in the spring when people figure out where they're going.

Captain Sinico
Auron

Post by Captain Sinico »

I will be finished with my undergraduate degree after next semester. I intend to go to graduate school and continue working in the same field (plasma engineering.) I'm applying to MIT, UIUC, Berkeley, and Princeton; that is my order of preference, too. Assuming I do get in anywhere, I'll almost certainly continue playing.

MaS

Theory Of The Leisure Flask
Yuna

Post by Theory Of The Leisure Flask »

First off, I suck compared to everyone else on this list.

Second, I believe Sandeep Vaheesan of Maryland and Morgan Saxby of Virginia are both seniors, and both are at least as good as me, so they should be on the list as well.

I plan on taking two years off from academia, and probably then going to grad school for music composition; I'll certainly play (probably on a reduced basis), and you may see me moderating/on a masters team a couple times a year in the interim.
Chris White
Bloomfield HS (New Jersey) '01, Swarthmore College '05, University of Pennsylvania '10. Still writes questions occasionally.

Leo Wolpert
Rikku

Post by Leo Wolpert »

I'm applying to graduate schools for Computer Science. The six schools that will have the pleasure of rejecting me are, in no particular order: Michigan, Berkeley, Virginia, Florida, UT-Austin, and UC-San Diego.

Assuming I beat the odds and am accepted, I'll in all likelihood continue to suck at qb by playing as a graduate student.

mps4a_mps4a
Wakka

Post by mps4a_mps4a »

I *may* be applying to Teach for America (actually, if anyone on this board either has done it, or had a relative/close friend who did it, and had a good experience with it, please email me, cause I'd like to talk to you/them), and if I apply and get in, and the school I take education classes from has a team, I may play. Three of my top choices would be Baltimore, Philly, and New Jersey, so there's a possibility I'd play with Johns Hopkins, U Penn, or Rutgers-Newark.

If I don't do that, probably a year or two off, then back to grad school. So I'm a maybe either way.

msuter
Wakka

Post by msuter »

One of my players from the late 90s, Ginger Moored, graduated from UVA with a degree in chemical engineering, I believe, and just finished a two-year Teach America stint in D.C. She taught pre-engineering classes at Dunbar High School.

Am not sure how the teaching went (moving from the Valley of Va. to inner-city D.C. and their educational system was somewhat of a learning curve) but she got an academic team started there and even got some grant money to buy them a set of buzzers. I know she had a team of committed kids by the time she left (they came to our tournament twice). She's now in grad school at Princeton studying public policy.

I just found an email I received from Ginger in June as she was leaving DC and heading for Princeton. I don't think she would mind my sharing this part with you, and I hope it will give you some insight as to what the Teach America program can do or mean.

"Just wanted to give you a ginger-update before I move away from D.C.!!  Today I gave my last round of exams and started taking down posters and student work in my classroom.  One of my students, Brandon Foster, asked me if I'd miss Dunbar.  My only response was to laugh.  Yes, out loud.  (Of course in the nicest way possible.)  But then i turned around and ran to brandon (ok, that's a bit exaggerated) and gave him a big hug!  And then I just started hugging all my students!!  So if you read in the Post about a teacher with a sexual harrassment lawsuit, then pretend you didn't read this.

So here comes the mushy part: Yes, I'll miss Brandon, who made a second thermometer at home after he made the required one in class.  I'll miss Candace who raised her grade from a 33% first advisory to a 96% fourth advisory.  I'll miss Lawrence who said he started building model airplanes after taking my aerospace science class (cool, huh?).  I'll miss Roxy who could kick any boy's butt in a science or math class (yes!).  I'll miss Matthew, who after getting a question right in class, would always say: "YEAH!  That's tight.  I rocked that joint!!  yeah, I knew that equation!  That was tight!"  I'll miss Vontee (actually, he now spells his name "Vontae") who would enter class every day saying "Man, this ain't no college Ms. Moor-ed.  I know you want to prepare us to work hard and all, but this ain't no college" and couldn't correctly conjugate the verb "to be" to save his life ("Well, see, they was over there in that corner."  "Vontee, you should say ' they were'"  "Yeah Ms. Moored, they was!".  And I'll miss Mubarak, who built a chair about twice his height!!" (a picture was attached)

If you're interested in getting in touch with Ginger, let me know and I'll email her with your address. I wish you well.

suds1000
Wakka

Post by suds1000 »

Because of my decision to go pre-med fairly late in my collegiate career, I'll have to take at least one extra semester here at UIUC if not a full year, after which I'll (hopefully) be on my way to medical school. Assuming that I don't get in anywhere at that point (this is looking more and more likely), I'll probably join corporate America and retire.

So, in short, I'll play (regularly) for one more academic year after this one, at the maximum.

grapesmoker
Sin

Post by grapesmoker »

Better get in on the act...

I'm applying to a bunch of physics departments: U of Chicago, NYU, Columbia, Berkeley, Maryland, Brown, Northwestern, UIUC, and Michigan, with that being roughly my order of preference. I sucked it up my first two years so I don't know how likely I am to get into any of those schools, but wherever I wind up I intend to continue playing while pursuing my other full-time hobby of slacking off. And if grad school doesn't work out, there's always homelessness.

Jerry
Jerry Vinokurov
ex-LJHS, ex-Berkeley, ex-Brown, sorta-ex-CMU
code ape, loud voice, general nuissance

Captain Sinico
Auron

Post by Captain Sinico »

I committed to UIUC for graduate school in plasma engineering yesterday (initial MS, final Ph.D), so I'll be back here for a couple years at least. Since the 15th was the conventional choice day, has anyone else committed yet? I'm curious if we're getting anyone.

MaS