DII specific question discussion

Old college threads.
theMoMA
Forums Staff: Administrator

DII specific question discussion

Post by theMoMA »

Discuss individual questions, repeat issues, and the like in this thread (in the DII set).
Andrew Hart
Minnesota alum
Victor Prieto
Auron

Re: DII specific question discussion

Post by Victor Prieto »

Down in Texas, the only tossup we saw go dead was the tossup on steradians, during the final between Rice A and A&M A. Dunno if that was the right difficulty or not, but it didn't seem like it.

Bassoon had a really late power mark (after Rite of Spring!).

The power for Castle ended really, really early. I would have been extremely impressed if anybody nailed that before "Martha Rogers School of Acting," which is where the power was, but I think the power mark should be before "mystery writer."

The Secret Service question lead-in, the counterfeiting thing, had everyone on our team wondering, "is this really just Secret Service?" the whole time, but that got brought up in another thread already.

The Duke of Wellington tossup also had a pretty late power, Quatre Bras would have been a better spot.

The Gibbs phase rule was dropped in power, which was probably a little too early.

Alveoli was mentioned rather early for the tossup on surfactants.
Victor Prieto
Secretary, PACE
Tower Hill School '11 | Rice University '15 | Penn State University '21
Writer: NAQT (2019-present) | Writer, Editor: HSAPQ (2013-2016)
Member (and lots of other stuff): PACE (2015-present)
An Intergalactic Puzzlepalooza
Lulu

Re: DII specific question discussion

Post by An Intergalactic Puzzlepalooza »

Wasabi wrote: The power for Castle ended really, really early. I would have been extremely impressed if anybody nailed that before "Martha Rogers School of Acting," which is where the power was, but I think the power mark should be before "mystery writer."
I got it after it mentioned Chet, in power, but would've gotten it at the film noir names clue had I not had a reader who could not be understood. Having watched every episode of Castle within the last month alone I'm not the best person to ask about difficulty there, though... While I only read over the tossup once quickly afterwards, it seemed fine to me. Chet is one of the most major of the "minor recurring characters," and Martha certainly qualifies as a major character, so I certainly don't object to her name being placed at the end of/outside of power.

In comparison to any other trash from the day I have any familiarity with, the sports tossups were pretty in line with that particular tossup it seemed, and the music bonuses were at worst slightly easier than it (3 AM, I Just Had Sex, Common, and Gin Blossoms all seem like pretty easy hard parts. I don't remember Chess, though. I remember the two parts around it, since that was the "One" bonus, but yeah).

Just to make sure, though, where exactly was the mark?
Joseph Nation
Oak Mountain High School, '11.
Auburn '15