ACF Regionals at the UChicago (2/23/2013)

Old college threads.
kayli
Auron

ACF Regionals at the UChicago (2/23/2013)

Post by kayli »

The University of Chicago will be hosting ACF Regionals on February 23, 2013. This is a regular difficulty tournament. I will be the TD for this tournament. You can contact me through the e-mail button on the sidebar.

Location: This tournament will take place in Harper Memorial Library located at 1116 East 59th Street, Chicago, IL.

How to register: This form. You MUST sign up using the form if they want to play the tournament. You do not need to sign up directly with me.

Packet Submission and Packet Penalties (quoted from Chris's post in the ACF Regionals 2013 official tournament announcement):
Packet Submission:
Every team with at least one person on it who played a regular, collegiate, academic quizbowl tournament prior to September 1, 2011 is required to submit a packet in order to play in Regionals. Please note that, like last year, this requirement also applies to eligible high school teams. Further information can be found at the ACF Packet Submission Guidelines.

The submission schedule for this tournament is:
December 30, 2012: -$50
January 13, 2013: -$25 (-$50 for optional packets)
January 27, 2013: no penalty (-$25 for optional packets)
February 3, 2013: +$25
February 10, 2013: +$50
After that: My unending wrath, +$100, and a guarantee you will be dropped from the field if you haven't negotiated an extension before then.

Payment Deadline (NEW): February 16, 2013 (your payment must be postmarked by this date).

Please submit your packet to [email protected]; the actual email with attached packet should include the phrase "[name of school + A/B/etc. if applicable) PACKET" in the subject line. In order to meet any particular deadline, your packet must be in our inbox by 11:59 pm PST on the stated day.

As alluded to above, extensions *may* be granted after the final February 10 deadline, but are at my discretion and will certainly not be granted if the request appears mysteriously at 11:58 pm the night of the deadline.

Packet Penalties: Be sure to fully read the information contained in the Packet Guidelines. Any cases of incorrect formatting, plagiarism, or prohibited question types will result in hefty fees. The editors also reserve the right to send back any egregious cases to be fixed by the team in question, so be sure to do it right the first time.

Please note that in cases of plagiarism in particular, I have now graded many a term paper and edited many a tournament, and I will catch you. This is doubtless because if you have decided to plagiarize from past questions/wikipedia/wherever, you are an idiot; I encourage you to cut your losses with that rather than compounding the situation with plagiarism.
Eligibility: Normal ACF eligibility holds here. When registering, keep in mind the change in ACF's Division II rules.

Parking and accommodations information: Plenty of free parking can be found on Midway Plaisance just south of 59th street near the University of Chicago. If you need any other information about parking, feel free to contact me about it.

As for accommodations, the University of Chicago has provided a list of accommodations that it suggests for visitors. I suggest picking one of the hotels that it lists. Other hotels might not be in the best areas, so contact me if you have any problems.

Field (currently capped at 20 teams, will be expanded if there is sufficient demand):
Chicago (4)
Ohio State (1)
Northwestern (2)
Michigan State (1)
Illinois (2)
UIC (1)
Michigan (3)
Minnesota (2)
Notre Dame (1)
Miami (OH) (1)
Total: 18
Last edited by kayli on Thu Feb 21, 2013 2:27 am, edited 12 times in total.
Kay, Chicago.
kayli
Auron

Re: ACF Regionals at the UChicago (2/13/2013)

Post by kayli »

I accidentally made the date 2/13 instead of 2/23. Can a moderator fix that please? EDIT: Thanks.

Done. --Mgmt.
Kay, Chicago.
Susan
Forums Staff: Administrator

Re: ACF Regionals at the UChicago (2/23/2013)

Post by Susan »

Here's a link showing the (registered) field for this tournament. Teams, if you need to change anything (more or fewer buzzers, removing teams, etc.) please email me at [email protected] .
Susan
UChicago alum (AB 2003, PhD 2009)
Member emerita, ACF
merv1618
Tidus

Post by merv1618 »

Susan wrote:Here's a link showing the (registered) field for this tournament. Teams, if you need to change anything (more or fewer buzzers, removing teams, etc.) please email me at [email protected] .
The link doesn't seem to be working at this time.
Adam Sperber
Hickman '10
Northwestern B '14
Loyola (inactive) '21

" 'Yay, more Adam Sperber' --Nobody " --Cody Voight
Susan

Post by Susan »

merv1618 wrote:
Susan wrote:Here's a link showing the (registered) field for this tournament. Teams, if you need to change anything (more or fewer buzzers, removing teams, etc.) please email me at [email protected] .
Okay, I figured out what the problem was and this will be fixed in the next 10-15 minutes.
Susan
Member emerita, ACF
Susan

Post by Susan »

Susan wrote:
merv1618 wrote:
Okay, I figured out what the problem was and this will be fixed in the next 10-15 minutes.
Should be fixed now.
Susan
Member emerita, ACF
kayli
Auron

Post by kayli »

We only have three more spots left so, if you want to registered teams, you should do that A$AP.
Kay, Chicago.
Steeve Ho You Fat
Auron

Post by Steeve Ho You Fat »

What time should teams show up at this?
Joe Nutter
PACE Emeritus
Michigan State University '14
Walnut Hills High School '11
kayli
Auron

Post by kayli »

I'll send out an e-mail about logistics later. The field is now full at 20 teams.

EDIT: If you really want to have another team, e-mail me and I'll see if we can work something out.

EDIT 2: We have one more spot open.
Kay, Chicago.
kayli
Auron

Post by kayli »

I have sent an e-mail to the various contacts. Here's a copy of the e-mail:
Dear teams,

In order for us to create the best brackets possible, I need you all to e-mail me with the rosters of your teams. If you don't do this, I'll just make various assumptions on the strength of your teams.

ACF Regionals will be held this Saturday at Harper Memorial Library, located at 1116 East 59th Street, Chicago, IL. Parking is plentiful along Midway Plaisance just south of Harper. You can reach me by phone at REDACTED.

Staffer and equipment check-in will begin at 8:00 AM in room 103 (subject to change). We hope to have rounds start at 8:30 AM, so please make sure to arrive before then. If you arrive later than 8:30, your matches may be played without you.

We currently have 19 teams registered for this tournament. That means, if you want one additional team, then you should register immediately. Should teams drop or be added, we will follow the ACF suggested formats.

Let me know if you have any questions.
Kay, Chicago.
tracyclee
Lulu

Post by tracyclee »

Matthew Menard and Sam Bailey are hosting an after party, now that they've been badgered into it. Ask us about it on Saturday if you're already thinking, "Ah man, I've always wanted to get jiggy with Chicago quiz bowl."

Obviously, we will listen to plenty of Will Smith.
Tracy Lee
Arcadia High School '09
Chicago '13
kayli
Auron

Post by kayli »

One more team has dropped. If you want to split up teams or whatever do so before Thursday night.
Kay, Chicago.
kayli
Auron

Post by kayli »

I sent an e-mail to this effect, but there will be some road closures the day of the tournament. This should not affect most of your routes to the tournament, but it is something to be aware of. You can read about which roads are closed here.
Kay, Chicago.
kayli
Auron

Post by kayli »

Prelim stats will be uploaded after each round.
Kay, Chicago.
kayli
Auron

Post by kayli »

Playoff stats. First two games of every team are carried over from their prelim games.
Kay, Chicago.
kayli
Auron

Post by kayli »

Illinois beat Chicago A in a one-game final. Ohio State won the undergrad title, and Michigan State won the DII title. Prelim and playoff stats are complete.

I'd like to thank all my staffers from the University of Chicago as well as Rob and Bernadette, who were just excellent. I apologize for various delays that happened and also some of the slow and imperfect moderation. I hope you all enjoyed the tournament.
Kay, Chicago.
merv1618
Tidus

Post by merv1618 »

This might be a bit late, but thanks to Chicago for hosting this and to Kay for being an effective TD.
Adam Sperber
Hickman '10
Northwestern B '14
Loyola (inactive) '21

" 'Yay, more Adam Sperber' --Nobody " --Cody Voight