ACF Nationals 2013: Harlem Shake Prohibited (Apr 27-28)

Old college threads.
Matt Weiner
Sin

Re: ACF Nationals 2013: Harlem Shake Prohibited (Apr 27-28)

Post by Matt Weiner »

Also, Harvard is playing an advantaged Undergraduate final against Chicago B, and Illinois B is playing an advantaged Division II final against Chicago D. Stats through round 18: http://www.hsquizbowl.org/db/tournament ... /playoffs/
Matt Weiner
Advisor to Quizbowl at Virginia Commonwealth University / Founder of hsquizbowl.org
Matt Weiner
Sin

Post by Matt Weiner »

Illinois B has won the DII championship. Chicago B defeated Harvard in the first game of the UG final, and they are now playing a second game for the championship.

Yale defeated Michigan in the tiebreaker game, meaning Michigan has finished third and Yale is entering the overall final at a disadvantage to Illinois A.
Matt Weiner
Advisor to Quizbowl at Virginia Commonwealth University / Founder of hsquizbowl.org
Matt Weiner
Sin

Post by Matt Weiner »

Finals stream at http://ustre.am/LEfJ
Matt Weiner
Cheynem
Sin

Post by Cheynem »

Haters be damned, Illinois is your ACF Nationals champions.
Mike Cheyne
Formerly U of Minnesota

"You killed HSAPQ"--Matt Bollinger
Rufous-capped Thornbill
Tidus

Post by Rufous-capped Thornbill »

Congratulations Illinois!
Jarret Greene
South Range '10 / Ohio State '13 / Vermont '17
dolphin
Lulu

Post by dolphin »

Thanks everyone for coming out to NYC/Columbia for this, and congrats to Illinois and Yale!
Victoria Cui
LASA '11, Columbia '15
Adventure Temple Trail
Auron

Post by Adventure Temple Trail »

Congratulations to Illinois on their well-earned victory.

Will the scoresheets from the play-in, overall final, undergrad final, and/or DII final be added to final stats?
Matt Jackson
University of Chicago '24
Yale '14, Georgetown Day School '10
member emeritus, ACF
minusfive
Rikku

Post by minusfive »

Matt Weiner wrote:Illinois B has won the DII championship.
Congrats to Andrew but especial congrats to the tennis ball component of Illinois B. No getting thrown out of a window for you!
RyuAqua wrote:Congratulations to Illinois on their well-earned victory.
I second that, and would also like to add my congratulations to all of the elite bracket (good players, good people) and especially to the top-bracket University of Alberta, the first Canadian school to achieve this feat. Alberta, next time you are in Ottawa, your poutine is on me :grin: .
dolphin wrote:Thanks everyone for coming out to NYC/Columbia for this
A HUGE Thank You to all of the readers and scorekeepers. Your professionalism, friendliness and awesomeness made this tournament enjoyable. Another HUGE ('cause I appear to be capitalizing that) Thank You to the Organizers and Editors, including Matt Weiner, Jerry Vinokurov, and Jonathan Magin (but undoubtedly others) for their hard work and for having the tournament run on time and smoothly. Last but not least, thanks to Columbia for hosting!!!! Very nice place to be.

See you next time!
Jordan Palmer, Nick Penner's Hero.

Pass by, and curse thy fill, but pass and stay not here thy gait.
Skepticism and Animal Feed
Auron

Post by Skepticism and Animal Feed »

I think somebody is going to post a statement on behalf of ACF (or at least on behalf of the ACF Nationals editing team) later, but speaking solely for myself as an individual I would like to give props to Columbia University for giving this tournament a home and managing all of the logistical issues very well, to Matt Weiner for being the best tournament director in the game today, to New York street food vendors for feeding me with minimal damage to my wallet and time, to all the people who helped me write questions or playtested questions, and most of all to the teams who helped make this the largest ACF Nationals ever.

This tournament probably concludes my involvement in quizbowl as a writer/editor (2012 Chicago Open earlier concluded my involvement as a player), and while it wasn't perfect, I don't think I'm going to have any major regrets.
Bruce
Harvard '10 / UChicago '07 / Roycemore School '04
ACF Member emeritus
My guide to using Wikipedia as a question source
grapesmoker
Sin

Post by grapesmoker »

Matt Weiner wrote:Finals stream at http://ustre.am/LEfJ
Any way of getting that recording?
Jerry Vinokurov
ex-LJHS, ex-Berkeley, ex-Brown, sorta-ex-CMU
presently: John Jay College Economics
code ape, loud voice, general nuissance
Matt Weiner
Sin

Post by Matt Weiner »

A few stats corrections have been brought to my attention and will be incorporated. The final order of finish is as displayed on the stats:

http://www.hsquizbowl.org/db/tournament ... /playoffs/

Top 10 in the UG standings were:

1. Chicago B
2. Harvard
3. Rice
4. Berkeley
5. Ohio State
6. Michigan State
7. WUSTL
8. George Mason
9. VCU
10. Dartmouth

D2 teams were:

1. Illinois B
2. Chicago D
3. MIT
4. Hunter
5. South Carolina

Overall all-stars based on prelim scoring:

1. John Lawrence, London 91.25 PPG
2. Andrew Hart, Minnesota 83.12 PPG
3. Matt Bollinger, Virginia 76.88 PPG (also #1 UG)
4. Ike Jose, Illinois A 63.12 PPG (also #2 UG)
5. Matt Jackson, Yale 62.50 PPG (also #3 UG)
6. Eric Mukherjee, Penn A 60.00 PPG
7. Henry Gorman, Rice 56.88 PPG (also #4 UG)
8. Chris Ray, Maryland 56.25 PPG

The top 4 Undergraduate all-stars (traditionally awarded to those not making the top 8 overall) were:

1T. Stephen Liu, Harvard 51.88 PPG
1T. Sean Smiley, VCU 51.88 PPG
3. Richard Yu, WUSTL 49.38 PPG (also #1 D2)
4. Jasper Lee , Ohio State, 45.62 PPG

The top 4 Division II all-stars (traditionally awarded to those not making the top 8 overall or the top 4 UG) were:

1. Adam Silverman, Georgia Tech 43.75 PPG
2T. Benji Nguyen, Stanford 36.25 PPG
2T. Andrew Wang, Illinois B 36.25 PPG
4. Kevin Malis, Northwestern 33.75 PPG

Thanks to all the teams, staffers, and editors and especially to Victoria Cui for going above and beyond as the host contact and making sure everything ran well facilities-wise all weekend.
Matt Weiner
tracyclee
Lulu

Post by tracyclee »

Thanks to all the editors and staff who made this tournament possible! Congratulations to Illinois for having overall and DII champions!

Additionally, I would like to thank Stephen Liu and the rest of Harvard for being so upstanding. For those of you who weren't there, during the first match of the UG final, Stephen chose to be honest about messing up a title and forwent those tossup/bonus cycle points. His error was unclear and in a situation with such high stakes, it would have been very easy for that to slip by. So really thanks so much for your incredible honesty.
Tracy Lee
Arcadia High School '09
Chicago '13
Charbroil
Auron

Post by Charbroil »

I might just not have seen it, but are the packets posted?
Charles Hang
Francis Howell Central '09
St. Charles Community College '14
Washington University in St. Louis '19, 2x (President, 2017-19)

Owner, Olympia Academic Competition Questions, LLC
Question Writer, National Academic Quiz Tournaments, LLC and National History Bee and Bowl
The Toad to Wigan Pier
Tidus

Post by The Toad to Wigan Pier »

William Butler
UVA '11
Georgia Tech 13
Charbroil
Auron

Post by Charbroil »

Thanks! Also, if someone could either list the packets in the round report or simply post a copy of the schedule, that would be greatly appreciated.
Charles Hang
Francis Howell Central '09
St. Charles Community College '14
Washington University in St. Louis '19, 2x (President, 2017-19)

Owner, Olympia Academic Competition Questions, LLC
Question Writer, National Academic Quiz Tournaments, LLC and National History Bee and Bowl
gyre and gimble
Yuna

Post by gyre and gimble »

Not that this matters too much, but Harvard was supposed to have a replacement tossup read just to us in the second game of the UG final. We decided instead to read the bonus first so we wouldn't disturb the overall final, and Harvard got 10 on the bonus so we just ignored the tossup. If we'd heard the replacement (a chemistry question which Sriram probably would have converted) the final score would have been 190-180.
Stephen Liu
Torrey Pines '10
Harvard '14
Stanford '17
Captain Sinico
Auron

Post by Captain Sinico »

Hello friends,

I just wanted to say that I had a very good time editing for this tournament. To see such a great cast of (mostly young!) players duking it out on my questions, for the highest stakes in the game is enough to melt the hart even of a spite-fueled dinosaur such as I am. Unfortunately, I have to add that didn't manage my time very well in the leadup and needed a lot of help finishing when I did (which wasn't on time.) Before I brick-bat myself for that failing, I would be an absolute turd if I didn't first thank Seth Teitler, Jerry Vinokurov, Andrew Yaphe, and Auroni Gupta for absolutely indispensable help in getting done the job I signed up for. Also, thanks very much to Jonathan Magin and Matt Weiner for successfully pivoting around the delays I created. If I've left anyone off that list (as I inevitably have,) I apologize.

Now, for that brick-batting! This tournent went late to print 100% due to me, from what I can tell. Everyone else was done on time, or close enough. Now, I am confident that I gave each question I edited and wrote my all; I like the finished product very much and will stand by it. Nevertheless, I needed to have finished them on time instead of the two days late that I did. So please feel free to lay any disorganization resulting from that, e.g. a lack of replacement questions in some places, at my feet. More importantly, please do recognize that Jonathan and Matt did an excellent job in getting a smooth-running, fair tournament despite the hurdles I put up. So, thank you very much for bearing with me, guys.

In conclusion, I'd like to repeat what we all already know: please budget enough time to get your editing done. I am extremely proud of my team for winning this tournament, which I am thus doubly ashamed to have shorted in the way I did.

See you at Chicago Open,
M
Mike Sorice
Former Coach, Centennial High School of Champaign, IL (2014-2020) & Team Illinois (2016-2018)
Alumnus, Illinois ABT (2000-2002; 2003-2009) & Fenwick Scholastic Bowl (1999-2000)
Member, ACF (Emeritus), IHSSBCA, & PACE