UMD mirror of KABO: Kurtis and Ashvin's Backyard Open (8/4)

Old college threads.
Mike Bentley
Sin

Re: UMD mirror of KABO: Kurtis and Ashvin's Backyard Open (8/4)

Post by Mike Bentley »

Jonathan, Isaac and I are still looking for a fourth player for the main event, preferably someone who knows something about science, but we're open to most anyone at this point. Send me an e-mail at [email protected] if you're interested.

Eric Douglass, Bryn Reinecke and I are also looking for a fourth for Bayou a Drank.
Mike Bentley
Treasurer, Partnership for Academic Competition Excellence
Adviser, Quizbowl Team at University of Washington
University of Maryland, Class of 2008
kdroge
Wakka

Post by kdroge »

Could someone please tell me who I should email the packets to for this event?
Kurtis Droge
East Lansing 08, Michigan 12, Louisville 17
Oak's Grandson
Lulu

Post by Oak's Grandson »

kdroge wrote:Could someone please tell me who I should email the packets to for this event?
You can send them to me at [email protected]
Gary Weiser University of Maryland '14
Mike Bentley
Sin

Post by Mike Bentley »

kdroge wrote:Could someone please tell me who I should email the packets to for this event?
Yeah it would be great if someone on the Maryland team could decree an official schedule for these events (in the sense of when the events are taking place--which I think we've largely agreed on--and what the format/team caps are for each event).
Mike Bentley
DumbJaques
Forums Staff: Administrator

Post by DumbJaques »

I think the delay in seeing Gary's post stemmed from it not being approved, but we should have a packet destination up now.

Since there have been no other formal announcements, I guess I'll set the schedule as follows:

Saturday: KABO, then myth, then movies
Sunday: Bayou, then Tech, then basketball for those interested parties

It is intensely recommended that people sign up for the side events they plan to play; right now we only even have like three teams slated for Bayou, though I know there are more. At this point, I'm not even sure technology will take place since it's currently a two-person field, though we can assuredly provide buzzers and a room for whoever wants to play the packets if no critical mass emerges. In that event, it's entirely possible we might consider moving movies to Sunday - though that would assume nobody gets screwed out of playing by the move. I'd still like to see all tournaments run.

Could the contact person for Bayou-a-Drank get in touch with me? Packets for that event should be sent to Arun Chonai ([email protected]), but we need to know how many there are so we can plan a schedule. Similarly, is 10 the definite packet number for KABO?

One more thing: Right now, there appear to be 9 teams signed up for KABO at UMD; I'd really like to have 10, so we can just run a round robin with a 1-game final if necessary. If there's anyone else on the fence about playing this event (or staffing; we've got a lot of staffers who would be happy to fill out the schedule if someone replaced them), please let me know.
Chris Ray
OSU
University of Chicago, 2016
University of Maryland, 2014
ACF, PACE
Mike Bentley
Sin

Post by Mike Bentley »

With regards to moving the movies tournament, I know of at least one person very interested in that tournament who can't make it if it was on Sunday.

With regards to the tech tournament, I really hope to see this tournament happen (and not just as a shootout, which are much less fun in my opinion than doubles). People should really sign up.
Mike Bentley
kdroge
Wakka

Post by kdroge »

DumbJaques wrote:Similarly, is 10 the definite packet number for KABO?
Yes, 10 is the definitely number. I was toying with writing an eleventh packet to have 9 for RR and 2 for finals, but that's just not a realistic option at this point.
Kurtis Droge
East Lansing 08, Michigan 12, Louisville 17
jekbradbury
Lulu

Post by jekbradbury »

I can't make it Sunday and would definitely want to play the tech tournament if it were Saturday, but I'm guessing that's the case for a lot of people with a lot of side events and they can't exactly all be on Saturday.
James Bradbury, Stanford '16, TJHSST '12
Ethnic history of the Vilnius region
Auron

Post by Ethnic history of the Vilnius region »

Me and Bryn's team has merged with Jon Pinyan and Stephanie Yuen's team for the main event.
Eric D.
University of South Carolina Alum
Cheynem
Sin

Post by Cheynem »

In response to the film packets, I will e-mail them to Mike Bentley and he can dispense them as needed unless there's someone else I should e-mail.
Mike Cheyne
Formerly U of Minnesota

"You killed HSAPQ"--Matt Bollinger
DumbJaques
Forums Staff: Administrator

Post by DumbJaques »

Ethnic history of the Vilnius region wrote:Me and Bryn's team has merged with Jon Pinyan and Stephanie Yuen's team for the main event.
In that case, it appears we're looking at 8 teams. I guess I suggest full rr (7 games) + playoff rr in brackets of four (3); this notably leaves no packet left over for a final, but considering the top teams get two cracks at each other that might not be the worst thing in the history of worst thingity. Thoughts?
Chris Ray
OSU
University of Chicago, 2016
University of Maryland, 2014
ACF, PACE
setht
Auron

Post by setht »

DumbJaques wrote:
Ethnic history of the Vilnius region wrote:Me and Bryn's team has merged with Jon Pinyan and Stephanie Yuen's team for the main event.
In that case, it appears we're looking at 8 teams. I guess I suggest full rr (7 games) + playoff rr in brackets of four (3); this notably leaves no packet left over for a final, but considering the top teams get two cracks at each other that might not be the worst thing in the history of worst thingity. Thoughts?
Sounds good here.
Seth Teitler
Formerly UC Berkeley and U. Chicago
President of NAQT
Emeritus member of ACF
Adventure Temple Trail
Auron

Post by Adventure Temple Trail »

setht wrote:
DumbJaques wrote:
Sounds good here.
I personally would rather do the RR + finals and hear the remaining one or two packets in a scrimmage or shootout before the side tournaments begin, because someone's going to get mad when this tournament ends in a three-way tie at 8-2 or something.
Matt Jackson
University of Chicago '24
Yale '14, Georgetown Day School '10
member emeritus, ACF
Ike
Auron

Post by Ike »

Cheynem wrote:In response to the film packets, I will e-mail them to Mike Bentley and he can dispense them as needed unless there's someone else I should e-mail.
Ditto for ANFORTAS. If someone else should get them, let me know by tomorrow morning.

Ike
Ike
UIUC 13
Mike Bentley
Sin

Post by Mike Bentley »

RyuAqua wrote:
setht wrote:
DumbJaques wrote:
Sounds good here.
I personally would rather do the RR + finals and hear the remaining one or two packets in a scrimmage or shootout before the side tournaments begin, because someone's going to get mad when this tournament ends in a three-way tie at 8-2 or something.
Another possibility is a Page Playoff, which they apparently do in curling and VETO.

The gist of it is that after the round robin, you seed for a quarterfinal game between 1v2 and 3v4. The winner of 1v2 advances to the finals; the loser plays the winner of 3v4. The winner of that game then advances to a one-game final against the winner of the 1v2 game. It's probably "more fair" than single elimination and definitely gives us a winner, although it can result in cases where a team goes undefeated except for in the final, and lose to a 6-3 team.
Mike Bentley
Mike Bentley
Sin

Post by Mike Bentley »

Ike wrote:
Cheynem wrote:In response to the film packets, I will e-mail them to Mike Bentley and he can dispense them as needed unless there's someone else I should e-mail.
Ditto for ANFORTAS. If someone else should get them, let me know by tomorrow morning.

Ike
For what it's worth, I don't think I can TD either tournament because I'll need to leave around 5:00 PM, but I'll at least try to get the questions to someone.
Mike Bentley
Oak's Grandson
Lulu

Post by Oak's Grandson »

You can find a schedule for KABO here.
jonpin
Auron

Post by jonpin »

RyuAqua wrote:
setht wrote:
DumbJaques wrote:
Sounds good here.
Or a two-way tie at 9-1. Which, for what its worth, is what happened at Ridgewood Summer's Sunday event. The two top teams agreed to play the mystical half-existent eleventh packet, which wouldn't be an option here.
Jon Pinyan
Coach, Bergen County Academies (NJ); former player for BCA (2000-03) and WUSTL (2003-07)
HSQB forum mod, PACE member
Stat director for: NSC '13-'15, '17; ACF '14, '17, '19; NHBB '13-'15; NASAT '11

"A [...] wizard who controls the weather" - Jerry Vinokurov
Matt Weiner
Sin

Post by Matt Weiner »

RyuAqua wrote:I personally would rather do the RR + finals and hear the remaining one or two packets in a scrimmage or shootout before the side tournaments begin, because someone's going to get mad when this tournament ends in a three-way tie at 8-2 or something.
I endorse this post.
Matt Weiner
Advisor to Quizbowl at Virginia Commonwealth University / Founder of hsquizbowl.org
Mike Bentley
Sin

Post by Mike Bentley »

We did the page system. I think Weiner's team won, although my memory is a bit spotty at this point.

By the way, be in Jimenez by 9 AM tomorrow for Bayou a Drank and then Tech if you didn't already receive that message.
Mike Bentley
Adventure Temple Trail
Auron

Post by Adventure Temple Trail »

Mike Bentley wrote:We did the page system. I think Weiner's team won, although my memory is a bit spotty at this point.

By the way, be in Jimenez by 9 AM tomorrow for Bayou a Drank and then Tech if you didn't already receive that message.
Yeah, after an initial round robin in which Teitler's team went 7-0 and Weiner's team went 5-2, we broke (as agreed upon in the morning) to an HSNCT Final Four playoff seeding, in which Weiner's team won the initial 1v2 game as a 2-seed against Teitler and then won the next one as a 1-seed to take the tournament. In hindsight it seems sort of silly to have wiped everyone's records like that, but there weren't many better solutions given the number of packets available.

The promised Teitler mythxtermination occurred, as did a filmxtermination from Yogesh Raut.

The KABO set was not that great. More thoughts once discussion starts.
Matt Jackson
University of Chicago '24
Yale '14, Georgetown Day School '10
member emeritus, ACF
Mike Bentley
Sin

Post by Mike Bentley »

The team of myself, Eric Douglas, Bryn Reinecke and Yogesh Raut went 5-0 in the trash tournament. We decided not to play a final.

Matt Weiner and I went 8-1 to win the tech tournament in a four-team doubles field.
Mike Bentley
Matt Weiner
Sin

Post by Matt Weiner »

Mike Bentley wrote:Matt Weiner and I went 8-1 to win the tech tournament in a four-team doubles field.
Was someone actually doing stats for this?
Matt Weiner
Advisor to Quizbowl at Virginia Commonwealth University / Founder of hsquizbowl.org
jonpin
Auron

Post by jonpin »

Matt Weiner wrote:
Mike Bentley wrote:Matt Weiner and I went 8-1 to win the tech tournament in a four-team doubles field.
Was someone actually doing stats for this?
The scoresheets were definitely gathered up and someone definitely took them. I do not know who said person was. Our finest people are working on it.
Jon Pinyan
Coach, Bergen County Academies (NJ); former player for BCA (2000-03) and WUSTL (2003-07)
HSQB forum mod, PACE member
Stat director for: NSC '13-'15, '17; ACF '14, '17, '19; NHBB '13-'15; NASAT '11

"A [...] wizard who controls the weather" - Jerry Vinokurov
Mike Bentley
Sin

Post by Mike Bentley »

We can we expect Bayou a Drank and Tech stats?
Mike Bentley
Oak's Grandson
Lulu

Post by Oak's Grandson »

Stats for Bayou-A-Drank are already up. I wasn't in charge of tech stats and have no idea who has them.