Results: 18th Annual Terrapin Invitational Tournament

Old college threads.
I'm a goff (in case you couldn't tell)
Quizbowl Detective Extraordinaire

Results: 18th Annual Terrapin Invitational Tournament

Post by I'm a goff (in case you couldn't tell) » Mon Oct 25, 2004 1:42 am

VCU went 11-2 to win the 18th annual Terrapin Invitational Tournament held on Saturday, October 23 at the University of Maryland. Princeton and Maryland both went 9-4, with Princeton taking second by virtue of overall PPG. Both teams received plaques. Leading scorers were Matt Weiner of VCU, Chris Frankel of Princeton, and Fred Bush of Rochester, with Fred also taking the neg price. All received a poorly-chosen selection of books from my bookshelf.

Full stats will be posted after I receive them from the TD.

Also, I ask that for the meantime, there be no discussion of the questions from the tournament. There is a potential mirror in the works.

Edit: Corrected VCU's record.
Last edited by I'm a goff (in case you couldn't tell) on Mon Oct 25, 2004 2:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
Dan Goff
HSQB sysadmin

Virginia Tech '13
South Carolina '15
and a couple other places
Not Thomas Dale HS

STAAATS

Matt Weiner
Sin

Post by Matt Weiner » Mon Oct 25, 2004 2:09 am

Thanks for the prompt fix.

I'll replace this post with a note that Maryland's team was super legit and everyone should beware of them lest you lose. The tournament as a whole was pretty good with the exception of the Hopkins packets, which were apparently written in an hour, and the Cornell packet which was solidly constructed but several orders of magnitude more difficult than the rest of the set.

Chris Frankel
Rikku

Post by Chris Frankel » Mon Oct 25, 2004 4:25 am

Thanks to Maryland for hosting what proved to be a fun and competitive tournament. It was good to see how balanced the competition in the Mid-Atlantic is, as each team lost to at least 2 others, and I'm looking forward to seeing another solid year of tournaments in the region.

My one critique for future reference is that, despite the relative inexperience of the editor(s), there should have been more a hands-on approach with the packets to get rid of repeats, balance difficulty and frequency of subject areas, and rework flawed questions. Fortunately, the questions turned out to be pretty solid for the most part, but there were still a few instances where everything seemed to be left to the mercy of inexperienced or ruthless packet writers. If the need for a mirror arises (Yes, I'm aware of the circumstances, Dan), I'm sure those of us who attended would be happy to offer some quick and specific advice to fix the more noticeably flawed questions.

I'm a goff (in case you couldn't tell)
Quizbowl Detective Extraordinaire

Post by I'm a goff (in case you couldn't tell) » Mon Oct 25, 2004 8:52 am

Chris Frankel wrote:If the need for a mirror arises...I'm sure those of us who attended would be happy to offer some quick and specific advice to fix the more noticeably flawed questions.
I think Matt touched on some of the more glaring examples, but we'd definitely appreciate any input those that attended can offer. In case anyone doesn't have it, my email is dgoff at umd dot edu.

Thanks to all of the teams that attended, and we look forward to the upcoming several weekends.
Dan Goff
HSQB sysadmin

Virginia Tech '13
South Carolina '15
and a couple other places
Not Thomas Dale HS

STAAATS