VCU Open: (not on) 8/4/12

Old college threads.
Matt Weiner
Sin

VCU Open: (not on) 8/4/12

Post by Matt Weiner »

VCU Open will be held on Saturday, August 4 at VCU in Richmond. It will be written by me and Cody Voight. The cost is $120. The distribution will be roughly standard, though I may do something mildly wacky like add a 21st tossup to each game. There will probably not be 1/1 chemistry per packet, so in case that freaks you out, now you know. Overall difficulty will be similar to last year and will purposely mix both very hard and very easy tossup answers (with the very easy ones of course to have lots of hard clues to start).

There will likely be some companion event on Sunday, and possibly social events over the course of the weekend, which will be announced when they are confirmed.

Register your teams or request a mirror by e-mailing me at [email protected].

UPDATE: THIS TOURNAMENT HAS BEEN POSTPONED, see below post.
Matt Weiner
Advisor to Quizbowl at Virginia Commonwealth University / Founder of hsquizbowl.org
Ethnic history of the Vilnius region
Auron

Re: VCU Open: 8/4/12

Post by Ethnic history of the Vilnius region »

Bryn Reinecke and myself will be playing in this. Feel free to contact me at [email protected] if you are interested in joining our team. We'll gladly play with anyone.
Eric D.
University of South Carolina Alum
Cheynem
Sin

Post by Cheynem »

When will the mirrors be announced?
Mike Cheyne
Formerly U of Minnesota

"You killed HSAPQ"--Matt Bollinger
Matt Weiner
Sin

Post by Matt Weiner »

Hey, we've run into some bumps in hosting this at VCU. We are still doing our best to keep it in the Richmond area, but if all options fail we will have to crash a campus in another city like last year. So, please don't book any travel just yet. I'll keep people updated.
Matt Weiner
Advisor to Quizbowl at Virginia Commonwealth University / Founder of hsquizbowl.org
fett0001
Tidus

Post by fett0001 »

Worst case, we can get you space at VT in Blacksburg, though I know that's far less than ideal.
Mike Hundley
PACE Member
Virginia Tech
grapesmoker
Sin

Post by grapesmoker »

I could probably rustle up space at CMU if you care to go as far as Pittsburgh. But I would guess the DC/College Park area would be a lot more convenient for most people.
Jerry Vinokurov
ex-LJHS, ex-Berkeley, ex-Brown, sorta-ex-CMU
presently: John Jay College Economics
code ape, loud voice, general nuissance
Matt Weiner
Sin

Post by Matt Weiner »

Due to various factors including but not limited to the difficulty of securing a site in the Richmond area, we have decided to postpone this tournament and resume hosting VCU Open in the summer of 2013. Hopefully this announcement comes in time for anyone looking to organize a substitute August event to do so.
Matt Weiner
Auks Ran Ova
Forums Staff: Chief Administrator

Post by Auks Ran Ova »

Matt Weiner wrote:Due to various factors including but not limited to the difficulty of securing a site in the Richmond area, we have decided to postpone this tournament and resume hosting VCU Open in the summer of 2013. Hopefully this announcement comes in time for anyone looking to organize a substitute August event to do so.
booooooooooooooooooo

(looking forward to its return!)
Rob Carson
University of Minnesota '11, MCTC '??, BHSU forever
Member, ACF
Member emeritus, PACE
Writer and Editor, NAQT
Cheynem
Sin

Re: VCU Open: (not on) 8/4/12

Post by Cheynem »

So I'm not sure if anyone has the resources or willpower to write a full fledged tournament for August, bu I'm wondering if it would be at least feasible for like a day/weekend of various side events, potentially combined with like guerrilla academic/trash events. I think Will's tech tournament and my film tournament would definitely be done by then, I'm sure there are others out there.

That said, obviously if someone is willing to try to produce a full fledged academic/trash tournament, have at it, but at this short notice, perhaps this is a feasible alternative.
Mike Cheyne
Formerly U of Minnesota

naturalistic phallacy
Auron

Post by naturalistic phallacy »

Cheynem wrote:So I'm not sure if anyone has the resources or willpower to write a full fledged tournament for August, bu I'm wondering if it would be at least feasible for like a day/weekend of various side events, potentially combined with like guerrilla academic/trash events. I think Will's tech tournament and my film tournament would definitely be done by then, I'm sure there are others out there.

That said, obviously if someone is willing to try to produce a full fledged academic/trash tournament, have at it, but at this short notice, perhaps this is a feasible alternative.
Since I no longer have an excuse to go to the DC area, I'd gladly attend something like this in Michigan
Bernadette Spencer
University of Minnesota, MCTC
Member, NAQT
Member, ACF
Member Emeritus, PACE
Cheynem
Sin

Post by Cheynem »

I'll start another thread to perhaps coordinate this better.
Mike Cheyne
Formerly U of Minnesota