ICT Prediction Thread

Old college threads.
Maxwell Sniffingwell
Auron

Re: ICT Prediction Thread

Post by Maxwell Sniffingwell »

marnold wrote:Also, I like how every list with numbers has put us at #14.
Personally, I'm just disappointed that Columbia didn't finish fourteenth.
Greg Peterson

Northwestern University '18
Lawrence University '11
Maine South HS '07

"a decent player" - Mike Cheyne
marnold
Tidus

Post by marnold »

cornfused wrote:
marnold wrote:Also, I like how every list with numbers has put us at #14.
Personally, I'm just disappointed that Columbia didn't finish fourteenth.
You and me both!
Michael Arnold
Chicago 2010
Columbia Law 2013

2009 ACF Nats Champion
2010 ICT Champion
2010 CULT Champion
Member of Mike Cheyne's Quizbowl All-Heel Team

Fundamental Theorem of Quizbowl (Revised): Almost no one is actually good at quizbowl.
ValenciaQBowl
Auron

Post by ValenciaQBowl »

I was surprised to learn during lunchtime that you guys had won the bracket outright, only to lose to Valencia B
Hey, hey, hey--settle down: don't go bracketing my Black team with your contempt-filled italics!

But sure, that was a shocker. Keep in mind that I think only 17-18 TUs were heard, and UCF lost by five after having a protest denied. But I'm glad to officially be Champions of Orlando.

Also, Delaware kept my prediction of Chipola making the top bracket from coming true by beating them in the "Group of Death" in Div. II.
Chris Borglum
Valencia College Grand Poobah
Muriel Axon
Tidus

Post by Muriel Axon »

Just to clarify, we brought the same sectionals team plus one player, and I think the 4th player (Matt) really helped us in tight situations, whereas we had lost some of those close games at SCT.
Okay, so I guessed wrong which one of you it was. :P Yeah, I can imagine that would help a lot, since even though you weren't perfectly balanced (and who is?) all four of you got questions.
And I don't want to sound corny, but I just want to give a shout out to all of the teams in the top bracket, I had never been in a 4 way tie like that before and almost all of the matches in the bracket were close and intense. I think I aged a little by the end of the tournament.
Yep, there were definitely a lot of very intense matches in the afternoon, and it was great to see people playing well.
Hey, hey, hey--settle down: don't go bracketing my Black team with your contempt-filled italics!
Sorry, I didn't mean to insult you! You guys did great for a CC. (I could remove the "for a CC" part, and that statement would still hold.) But it's odd to see the team that ultimately placed #5 or 6 lose to one that ended up lower. Also, Chris - awesome reading. I heard a lot of compliments from people I passed throughout the day.
Shan Kothari

Plymouth High School '10
Michigan State University '14
University of Minnesota '20
ValenciaQBowl
Auron

Post by ValenciaQBowl »

No worries, and thanks for the praise, Shan. I was really impressed by your team and the others in the top bracket of DII teams. I look forward to seeing y'all move up and do well in DI in the next couple years.
Chris Borglum
Valencia College Grand Poobah
Black-throated Antshrike
Rikku

Post by Black-throated Antshrike »

Yeah Bradley, I didn't study like 11 hours a day, but I did spend around 3-4 reading stuff for quizbowl and playing on tinychat and Quizbowl Central. I had a lot of fun playing this tournament and wanted to thank the other teams in the top bracket for making it so exciting.

EDIT: because I'm so good at remembering who's talking
Joe
Delaware
bradleykirksey
Wakka

Post by bradleykirksey »

Qmwne235 wrote:
bradleykirksey wrote:Nah. Delaware can keep their shocker of the year award. They come off the wait list the week of ICT. One of their players said he spent about 11 hours a day on quiz bowl during spring break. And it evidently paid off. Good for them.
Really? Wow, that really is impressive. Do you know if any of their ICT players were actually missing at sectionals?
bradleykirksey wrote:I still wish we didn't lose to Valencia B and could have played Harvard for a national championship.
I was surprised to learn during lunchtime that you guys had won the bracket outright, only to lose to Valencia B. I feel the same way about our prelim loss to MIT, which should not have happened - especially considering that we beat them pretty soundly later in the day. But if either of us had won those prelim games, we still would've tied with NYU, right?

What happened in the Valencia B game, anyway?
A: They added someone named Matt who averaged 17 PPG. That was a nice little addition, but since he got 10 tossups+powers combined after lunch, I'm going with a super binge study effort by Alex Gross to only drop from 83PPG at sectionals to keeping up 66.45 PPG at ICT. He's the one who carried it. (And I'm pretty sure you offhandedly gave the number 11 at some point. Which means it's infallable, right?)

B: It was a lot of things. Like Chris said, just because they're the B team doesn't mean they're bad. Kaitlyn, the A team's second leading scorer, said B is probably better because Julio is just really that good. Plus, we brough a freshman as an alternate and I thought it would be a good game for him to play the first half in, and I knew 4 tossups before anyone else. So I'm a dumbass when it comes to determining who should start. We only heard 19 tossups. Then, just as things were looking bad, Mickey Sizemore (who put up 100 points against Harding) negged himself to a grand total of 0 points that game. And we lost a very, very close protest.

I said to everyone before hand that Harvard and maybe Michigan State were the only two teams that we theoretically couldn't beat, and we can lose to anyone. We beat our own C team on the last tossup at sectionals.

Out of curiosity, if NYU had the same number of afternoon loses as us and MSU and Delaware, then why did they get the automatic bid? Did the loss to Valencia B hurt us or what?
Bradley Kirksey
Mayor of quiz bowl at the University of Central Florida (2010-2015)
The club at Reformed Theology Seminary Orlando (2017 - 2021)
Muriel Axon
Tidus

Post by Muriel Axon »

A: They added someone named Matt who averaged 17 PPG. That was a nice little addition, but since he got 10 tossups+powers combined after lunch, I'm going with a super binge study effort by Alex Gross to only drop from 83PPG at sectionals to keeping up 66.45 PPG at ICT. He's the one who carried it. (And I'm pretty sure you offhandedly gave the number 11 at some point. Which means it's infallable, right?)
Yeah, Joe and Alex already discussed this earlier in the thread. Good for them, they really deserved it. (Especially great performance from Alex against RPI!)
Kaitlyn, the A team's second leading scorer, said B is probably better because Julio is just really that good.
Really? I wonder how they would've done if they'd rearranged things and stacked one of their teams. Once again, I didn't mean to imply they were bad. It's just that it's really easy to put my foot in my mouth when I'm on the internet and there are so many handy tools (like italics!) at my disposal.
I said to everyone before hand that Harvard and maybe Michigan State were the only two teams that we theoretically couldn't beat, and we can lose to anyone. We beat our own C team on the last tossup at sectionals.
Well, you did beat us, eh? :P
Out of curiosity, if NYU had the same number of afternoon loses as us and MSU and Delaware, then why did they get the automatic bid? Did the loss to Valencia B hurt us or what?
I don't know. Unless I'm completely off here, your loss to Valencia B shouldn't have carried over into the playoffs, whereas our loss to MIT should have, because MIT was in the top bracket and Valencia B wasn't. But the reasoning they gave behind the four-way tie was that we were all 9-4, which leads me to believe that they didn't distinguish those situations after all.
Shan Kothari

Plymouth High School '10
bradleykirksey
Wakka

Post by bradleykirksey »

I'm very interested in seeing how Delaware does in D1 next year. And us, too, of course.

There was a lot of discussion about that, and they didn't stack because Julio's strengths (current events and literature) are owned so strongly by CJ and others. The extra 30 PPG he would have added wouldn't have come near the 100 PPG B would have lost. Of course, since UCF went 9-4, I'm furious about that descision, but I will not question Chris Borglum's judgement on anything quiz bowl.

Ya, I looked at y'all dropping 650 3 times in 12 games, and thought not a chance. But I guess, we're capable of beating and losing to anyone. Yay early buzzes every other tossup.

Hm. That's a little dissapointing. (It would be more so if we didn't get our asses handed to us in the first tiebreaker.) I wonder if they had enough packets for a 5 way tiebreaker or even how to handle that, though. All the same, congrats to both Harvard and NYU.
Bradley Kirksey
Mayor of quiz bowl at the University of Central Florida (2010-2015)
The club at Reformed Theology Seminary Orlando (2017 - 2021)
Muriel Axon
Tidus

Post by Muriel Axon »

I'm very interested in seeing how Delaware does in D1 next year. And us, too, of course.
Yep. If Alex and co. keep studying like they have been, they're going to be really good. Should be fun to see both of you next year.
Ya, I looked at y'all dropping 650 3 times in 12 games, and thought not a chance. But I guess, we're capable of beating and losing to anyone. Yay early buzzes every other tossup.
If there's one catastrophic flaw we have, it's that we're inconsistent. Sectionals was a good day for us. But the early afternoon at ICT was not. We were sloppy. And then, suddenly, things swung around in the fourth playoff game against U of M, whom we whomped even though they're every bit as good as us. (If there's another catastrophic flaw we have, it's that we don't have a lit player.)

At ICT, (almost) anything can happen, and (almost) anybody can lose to (almost) anyone. Hence the four-way tie.
Shan Kothari

Plymouth High School '10
Black-throated Antshrike
Rikku

Post by Black-throated Antshrike »

Qmwne235 wrote:
Yep. If Alex and co. keep studying like they have been, they're going to be really good. Should be fun to see both of you next year.
Yeah that will be quite interesting. If anything, this tournament made us want to completely rededicate ourselves to learning all the stuff we don't know and do some heavy recruiting in the bio-chem departments, and (hopefully) get a literature player. Beating out everyone's predictions, and even our own (we were hoping to go 4-3 and make the second bracket if we played well.
Joe
Delaware
Z Rex
Kimahri

Post by Z Rex »

mastaloo wrote:I think I aged a little by the end of the tournament.
I concur. While we spent a year or two waiting for them to announce the results I tried to go to the bar and get a drink in a plastic cup to take with me to the match. They would not, and I almost burned the hotel down in revenge.
Chas Carpenter
UCF