Gateway Invitational Tournament at WUSTL (11/12/11)

Old college threads.
Spencer Fish
Kimahri

Gateway Invitational Tournament at WUSTL (11/12/11)

Post by Spencer Fish »

The Washington University College Bowl Team will be hosting the fifteenth iteration of its Gateway Invitational Tournament on November 12th, 2011. It will be a mirror of the Delta Burke tournament written by Valencia College.

I, Spencer Fish, will be serving as the Tournament Director. To register for the tournament, or if you have any questions, please email us at [email protected].

Time

Tournament check-in will begin at 8:30 AM, morning announcements will be at 9:00, and play will begin at 9:15. The entire tournament (including awards and playoffs) should be over before 5:00. Each team will be guaranteed 8-9 games, and there will be finals as necessary to determine the champion.

Location UPDATED

Eads Hall

Registration

To register, please e-mail me at [email protected] with the following information:

1/ The Number of teams you will be bringing
2/ The Number of buzzers you will be bringing
3/ The number of players you will have, as well as their names.
4/ The number of staff (moderators and scorekeepers) you will be bringing

All registrations must be received prior to the date of the tournament. Once you register, I will send out all necessary information. Please feel free to share this announcement with any schools that you think would be interested in attending.

Fee Structure

Base fee: $80 for first team, $70 for subsequent teams.
$10 off the base fee for schools per working buzzer system provided
$10 off the base fee for schools per competent staffer*
$5 off the base fee for schools for each 100 miles traveled (one way)
$20 off for teams with 2 or fewer players.
$20 off for teams made up of only high schoolers.
$40 off for self funded teams

Minimum fee: $20

Showing up late without getting in touch with me: +$20 penalty.

*To be defined as an individual capable of either reading a 20 tossup, 20 bonus match in under 30 minutes or capable of scorekeeping such a match.

We are, of course, willing to make accommodations if a team has trouble paying and wishes to arrange a payment plan, etc. Checks should be made out to "Washington University Academic Team;" (Not "College Bowl") we can also take cash payments, but greatly prefer payment by check.

High School Staffing Discount

In addition to offering the above discounts for collegiate teams attending this event, we will also be offering a $10 discount to every high school player, coach, or anyone else involved with a high school who volunteers to staff our event, to be applied towards admissions fees for our high school tournament, the Washington University High School Academic Challenge (WUHSAC). We will also offer a $5 discount per 50 miles traveled, one way, for individuals affiliated with high schools traveling 50 or more miles to staff our tournament.

Also, volunteers who bring buzzer sets will be eligible for an additional $10 WUHSAC registration discount per buzzer. We will be offering two such discounts in total.

Eligibility

This tournament is open to all players and all teams (including those from more than one school). This is meant to be a novice tournament, however, so college teams with high caliber veteran players (you know who you are--and if you're not sure, ask me) are strongly recommended to have said players staff.

Questions

The tournament will be using the Delta Burke set, a set of accessible questions geared towards beginner players.

I look forward to seeing you at Washington University on November 12th.
Last edited by Spencer Fish on Tue Nov 08, 2011 1:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
Spencer Fish
Liberty High School 2005-2009
Washington University in St. Louis 2009-Current
President of Wash U Academic Team
Member of Missouri Quizbowl Alliance
crobbins52
Lulu

Re: Gateway Invitational Tournament at WUSTL (11/12/11)

Post by crobbins52 »

Harding will have at least one team at this.

Edit: Clearly I didn't read the entire post. I'll send you an email.
Caleb Robbins
Dixon High School '08
Harding University '12
Baylor University '17
Scott
Rikku

Post by Scott »

I will be in St. Louis on this week to tour WUSTL.
I may be able to compete in or staff for this tournament, depending upon how long I am able to stay.
I will get back with you when I find out if I will be able to come.

Edit: It turns out that we are leaving Saturday morning so I will not be able to come.
Maybe I will be able to make it to a tournament sometime in the winter/spring.
Scott Blain
Grayson '12
Vanderbilt '16
sephirothrr
Quizbowl Detective Extraordinaire

Post by sephirothrr »

UofL is working on trying to bring a couple teams, but we're wondering - is there anyway we could see how the field stands?
Ramapriya
Kentucky Quizbowl Alliance
University of Louisville
duPont Manual High School
Birdofredum Sawin wrote: Fri Apr 04, 2014 1:52 pmIf you don't want to be regarded as a "raving lunatic," it might be advisable to rave less, or at least to do so in a less loony manner.
Rococo A Go Go
Auron

Post by Rococo A Go Go »

I may or may not come to this tournament. I may or may not have teammates from WKU. If yes on the first question and no (or not enough) on the second, can I add a friend of mine who doesn't go to WKU to my team?

I should know more by Wednesday or Thursday, and I'll email you with the details.
Nicholas C
KQBA member
Spencer Fish
Kimahri

Post by Spencer Fish »

The current field is

Harding 1 team
Illinois 2(+) teams
MS&T 2 teams

If you are planning on bringing teams please email me asap.
Last edited by Spencer Fish on Tue Nov 08, 2011 6:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Spencer Fish
Papa's in the House
Tidus

Post by Papa's in the House »

In order to try to increase the field size, I (and I'm betting some of my fellow ABT members) am willing to play on a solo team... so long as we're not getting charged $100 per team. If you're willing to charge us for the number of teams we would otherwise bring to the field (2), I will gladly let you know how many extra (solo/shorthanded) teams you can expect from us tomorrow morning.
Charles Martin Jr.
University of Illinois Urbana-Champaign
Academic Buzzer Team | President
B.S. in Accountancy, August 2011
B.S. in Finance, August 2011
MAS Program, Class of 2012
sephirothrr
Quizbowl Detective Extraordinaire

Post by sephirothrr »

So, I don't think that Uofl will be able to send teams - some of our members have other commitments, and we've having difficulties with travel arrangements.
Ramapriya
Kentucky Quizbowl Alliance
University of Louisville
duPont Manual High School
Birdofredum Sawin wrote: Fri Apr 04, 2014 1:52 pmIf you don't want to be regarded as a "raving lunatic," it might be advisable to rave less, or at least to do so in a less loony manner.
Rococo A Go Go
Auron

Post by Rococo A Go Go »

I'm still on a holding pattern on whether or not I can make it. If I do, I'll be playing solo but I'll have a moderator with me. I'm waiting to find out if the person I'd be bringing to staff can make it. If they can't, I likely won't go, because I'm not a fan of driving long distances by myself.

I will let you know for sure by tomorrow afternoon at the very latest, and earlier if at all possible. Sorry for any inconvienence.
Nicholas C
KQBA member
Papa's in the House
Tidus

Post by Papa's in the House »

Illinois will expand/contract teams such that you have 8 total teams at this tournament (unless the field somehow expands rapidly in the next 30+ hours).
Charles Martin Jr.
University of Illinois Urbana-Champaign
Academic Buzzer Team | President
B.S. in Accountancy, August 2011
B.S. in Finance, August 2011
MAS Program, Class of 2012
ValenciaQBowl
Auron

Post by ValenciaQBowl »

Charles or Gordon: I've e-mailed you both an important question regarding the number of packets you'll need for your mirror of DB. In case you see this first, please check and reply ASAP. Thanks!
Chris Borglum
Valencia College Grand Poobah
Rococo A Go Go
Auron

Post by Rococo A Go Go »

I hate to say this, but I'm not going to be able to make it tomorrow. One of these days I'm going to make it back to WUSTL for a tournament, hope this one goes well!
Nicholas C
KQBA member
Spencer Fish
Kimahri

Post by Spencer Fish »

Congratulations to Illinois A, who took the tournament clearing the field twice in a double round robin.

Results can be found here (teams)
http://young-frankenstein.wustl.edu/sta ... amentid=10

And here (individuals)
http://young-frankenstein.wustl.edu/ind ... amentid=10
Spencer Fish
The Friar
Wakka

Post by The Friar »

Congratulations to Illinois A (Greg, Zach, Tom, and Chinmay) for winning this year's Gateway Invitational Tournament! After a ten-round double round robin, Illinois A finished undefeated and two games ahead of the next team, Illinois B (Billy, Austin, and Charles Martin, Scientist). Congratulations to high scorer Matt Chadbourne of Missouri S&T 2.

Full stats and standings are available here: http://young-frankenstein.wustl.edu/tou ... amentid=10
Gordon Arsenoff
Rochester '06
WUStL '14 (really)

Developer of WUStL Updates Statistics Live!