2011 ICT discussion

Old college threads.
Important Bird Area
Forums Staff: Administrator

2011 ICT discussion

Post by Important Bird Area »

The ICT set is clear now; please discuss --JTH, 4/24.
Jeff Hoppes
President, Northern California Quiz Bowl Alliance
former HSQB Chief Admin (2012-13)
VP for Communication and history subject editor, NAQT
Editor emeritus, ACF

"I wish to make some kind of joke about Jeff's love of birds, but I always fear he'll turn them on me Hitchcock-style." -Fred
Auroni
Auron

Re: 2011 ICT discussion

Post by Auroni »

It's probably a good idea to just keep this private, given the non-negligible instances of high schoolers cheating this last year.
Auroni Gupta (she/her)
AKKOLADE
Sin

Post by AKKOLADE »

no dont
Fred Morlan
University of Kentucky CoP, 2017
International Quiz Bowl Tournaments, CEO, co-owner
former PACE member, president, etc.
former hsqbrank manager, former NAQT writer & subject editor, former hsqb Administrator/Chief Administrator
AKKOLADE
Sin

Post by AKKOLADE »

This is fine for very, very general discussion, I suppose, but we'll be getting a private conversation forum set up as soon as we can.
Fred Morlan
former hsqbrank manager, former NAQT writer & subject editor, former hsqb Administrator/Chief Administrator
AKKOLADE
Sin

Re: 2011 ICT discussion (Fred: WILL NOT HAPPEN HERE)

Post by AKKOLADE »

Okay, a private forum should be set up now; Jeff is currently the only one who can approve your admittance.
Fred Morlan
AKKOLADE
Sin

Post by AKKOLADE »

Oh, and if you can somehow view this forum improperly, I'd hope you'd speak up.
Fred Morlan
MicroEStudent
Rikku

Post by MicroEStudent »

Wow, that question on ImageImageImageImageImageImageImage was unfair. I felt bad for the teams.

The questions in the ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage distribution were easier than normal and the ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage distribution was unusually tough.

Overall, this tournament ImageImageImageImageImageImage.
Nathaniel Kane
RIT '09, '11 (BS Microelectronic Engineering, MS Microelectronic Engineering)
AKKOLADE
Sin

Post by AKKOLADE »

I'd like to buy an 'e.'
Fred Morlan
MicroEStudent
Rikku

Post by MicroEStudent »

Fred wrote:I'd like to buy an 'e.'
That'll be $250. I take cash, American Express and PayPal.
Nathaniel Kane
RIT '09, '11 (BS Microelectronic Engineering, MS Microelectronic Engineering)
AKKOLADE
Sin

Post by AKKOLADE »

Let me just hit alt+shift+ctrl+c

rosebud
rosebud
rosebud
Fred Morlan
Cheynem
Sin

Post by Cheynem »

I liked everything until I didn't win. And then Ted Gioia beat me up and made me cry.
Mike Cheyne
Formerly U of Minnesota

"You killed HSAPQ"--Matt Bollinger
Magister Ludi
Tidus

Post by Magister Ludi »

Well, I only had one profanity laced meltdown about question quality, which is a record low for me at a NAQT tournament. Seriously though, I thought this was the best NAQT tournament I've ever played, but I'm still annoyed that NAQT seems to ignore some of the most basic tenets of good question writing. Aside from distribution concerns, I was annoyed (and occasionally infuriated) that so many questions would devote two lines to describing some tangential leadin about a writer and devote very few clues to actually describing the works themselves. When there are already such strict limits on length, it's doubly harmful to waste significant portions of a tossup on unhelpful leadins because it basically transforms an already regrettably short 5 line tossup into a 2 or 3 line tossup.

But I don't want to be too harsh on NAQT and want to applaud Seth et al because ICT was a decidedly decent tournament. I especially enjoyed that there were a number of tossups on core literary works, which I assume is Seth's influence.

Also, it would be very helpful for specific critiques in the private forum if an electronic copy of the questions were made available to players. This is common practice for all modern tournaments and I hope NAQT would consider doing this in the future.

[EDIT: Grammar]
Ted Gioia - Harvard '12
Editor ACF, PACE
Mechanical Beasts
Banned Cheater

Post by Mechanical Beasts »

I'll echo Ted's positive comments; I really enjoyed this set. I think Seth did a great job on the science. Difficulty seemed appropriate, and having a physics-y bias to the chemistry made the questions overall very interesting. Congratulations to Minnesota, as well; both games of the effective final were absolutely terrifying and I look forward to playing you again at ACF.
Andrew Watkins
The King's Flight to the Scots
Auron

Post by The King's Flight to the Scots »

Yeah, despite the unfortunate circumstances around our team, I enjoyed the questions in areas that I knew. A couple clunkers, some questions that seemed top-heavy, but I really didn't feel frustrated at question quality all that often.
Matt Bollinger
UVA '14, UVA '15
setht
Auron

Post by setht »

Hey all,

can I entice you to join the discussion forum and elaborate on these comments? It would be nice to have a clearer idea of which questions you felt were clunkers/top heavy/biography heavy/otherwise problematic and hash things out a bit in discussion--for instance, I think at least one of the author tossups that didn't immediately go into descriptions of works had a defensible lead-in, but perhaps I'm wrong about that.

I can't send out electronic copies of the set, but I (and Jeff and various others) can post question text in the discussion forum, so if anyone wants to make comments on specific questions but needs the text let us know.

Thanks,
-Seth
Seth Teitler
Formerly UC Berkeley and U. Chicago
President of NAQT
Emeritus member of ACF
Nine-Tenths Ideas
Auron

Post by Nine-Tenths Ideas »

There were some readers at this tournament who were not very good. That's all I really want to say about that.
Isaac Hirsch
University of Maryland '14
Never Gonna Play Again
Irreligion in Bangladesh
Auron

Post by Irreligion in Bangladesh »

Yeah, looking at the stats online it seems the D2 moderators were hitting 24/24 with remarkable consistency but D1 was far behind getting to 26 and in multiple cases didn't get to 20. In my rounds, we hit tossup 24 as the second half was ending, so 26/26 with somewhat longer questions seems like more than 10 minutes would be necessary to satisfy people.

Or, you know, you could just get rid of the clock. That'd be nice. We had a couple moderators who seemed to start the rounds at a pace too fast for them to handle, then upon getting to halftime at tossup 13-14, noticeably relaxed having avoided the problem of not finishing the packet in time.
Brad Fischer
Head Editor, IHSA State Series
IHSSBCA Chair

Winnebago HS ('06)
Northern Illinois University ('10)
Assistant Coach, IMSA (2010-12)
Coach, Keith Country Day School (2012-16)
jonah
Auron

Post by jonah »

styxman wrote:Yeah, looking at the stats online it seems the D2 moderators were hitting 24/24 with remarkable consistency but D1 was far behind getting to 26 and in multiple cases didn't get to 20. In my rounds, we hit tossup 24 as the second half was ending, so 26/26 with somewhat longer questions seems like more than 10 minutes would be necessary to satisfy people.
I was looking through the stats to see the details of this for myself, and noticed that the Div I Oxford-Virginia and Harvard-Wash U games in round 3 both had 31 TUH. In Div II, there were two games with 27 TUH: NIU-Michigan in round 3 and Valencia-Snead in round 10.
Jonah Greenthal
National Academic Quiz Tournaments
cvdwightw
Auron

Post by cvdwightw »

jonah wrote:I was looking through the stats to see the details of this for myself, and noticed that the Div I Oxford-Virginia and Harvard-Wash U games in round 3 both had 31 TUH. In Div II, there were two games with 27 TUH: NIU-Michigan in round 3 and Valencia-Snead in round 10.
Both of the 27 TUH games were close enough that it could have easily been 24 plus NAQT tiebreaker procedures (3 tossups). The 31 TUH is probably a mistype in the first digit, of which there are multiple (we definitely lost to RPI 340-305).
Dwight Wynne
socalquizbowl.org
UC Irvine 2008-2013; UCLA 2004-2007; Capistrano Valley High School 2000-2003

"It's a competition, but it's not a sport. On a scale, if football is a 10, then rowing would be a two. One would be Quiz Bowl." --Matt Birk on rowing, SI On Campus, 10/21/03

"If you were my teammate, I would have tossed your ass out the door so fast you'd be emitting Cerenkov radiation, but I'm not classy like Dwight." --Jerry
jonah
Auron

Post by jonah »

cvdwightw wrote:
jonah wrote:I was looking through the stats to see the details of this for myself, and noticed that the Div I Oxford-Virginia and Harvard-Wash U games in round 3 both had 31 TUH. In Div II, there were two games with 27 TUH: NIU-Michigan in round 3 and Valencia-Snead in round 10.
Both of the 27 TUH games were close enough that it could have easily been 24 plus NAQT tiebreaker procedures (3 tossups). The 31 TUH is probably a mistype in the first digit, of which there are multiple (we definitely lost to RPI 340-305).
Ahhh, I forgot that the tiebreaker is 3 questions. 31 is still almost certainly a problem (unless at least 3 questions went dead after the initial 3/0 tiebreaker).
Jonah Greenthal
National Academic Quiz Tournaments
ValenciaQBowl
Auron

Post by ValenciaQBowl »

One thing I was thinking while hiking over to Maria's for our staff lunch (thanks, NAQT!) and, frankly, well before, is that I would really like to see the ICT move again. I completely understand the very good reasons why it has stayed at the Hyatt Regency for a while now, and I further understand that my own reasons are selfish (bored with same old place, tired of lack of food/entertainment options in the Rosemont area, interest in having excuse to go to different cities).

But I wanted to put this out there and see if anyone else agrees. Even if going back to campus locations is unfeasible, I'd still prefer to be in gargantuan, bland airport hotels in different cities, and certainly those cities could remain to be large airport hubs in reasonably central parts of the country. But as one of those (rare?) people who does like to do some non-QB stuff on these trips, I'd sure be interested in checking out some new places.
Chris Borglum
Valencia College Grand Poobah
Irreligion in Bangladesh
Auron

Post by Irreligion in Bangladesh »

The NIU-Michigan game was OT.
Brad Fischer
Head Editor, IHSA State Series
IHSSBCA Chair

Winnebago HS ('06)
Northern Illinois University ('10)
Assistant Coach, IMSA (2010-12)
Coach, Keith Country Day School (2012-16)
evilmonkey
Yuna

Post by evilmonkey »

cvdwightw wrote:Both of the 27 TUH games were close enough that it could have easily been 24 plus NAQT tiebreaker procedures (3 tossups). The 31 TUH is probably a mistype in the first digit, of which there are multiple (we definitely lost to RPI 340-305).
I can confirm that the games listed as 27 TUH are games that went to OT.
Bryce Durgin
Culver Academies '07
University of Notre Dame '11
Texas A&M '15
49-Mile Scenic Drive
Rikku

Post by 49-Mile Scenic Drive »

ValenciaQBowl wrote:One thing I was thinking while hiking over to Maria's for our staff lunch (thanks, NAQT!) and, frankly, well before, is that I would really like to see the ICT move again. I completely understand the very good reasons why it has stayed at the Hyatt Regency for a while now, and I further understand that my own reasons are selfish (bored with same old place, tired of lack of food/entertainment options in the Rosemont area, interest in having excuse to go to different cities).

But I wanted to put this out there and see if anyone else agrees. Even if going back to campus locations is unfeasible, I'd still prefer to be in gargantuan, bland airport hotels in different cities, and certainly those cities could remain to be large airport hubs in reasonably central parts of the country. But as one of those (rare?) people who does like to do some non-QB stuff on these trips, I'd sure be interested in checking out some new places.
Wholeheartedly agree here Borglum. Having been to Chicago 4 years in high school then the visits since I've been at Snead, I'd love to check out a new place. Hopefully next year it will be somewhere new to me, but then again I didn't even go to ICT this year. Next year will be fun and hopefully Alabama's Division II team qualifies for ICT. Roll Tide!!!!
Mark Morris
University of Alabama-Huntsville '13
Auburn Pharmacy '19
Duncan Idaho
Rikku

Post by Duncan Idaho »

evilmonkey wrote:I can confirm that the games listed as 27 TUH are games that went to OT.
I have a question for NAQT about tiebreaker tossups- do they count towards a team's bonus conversion? If they do, this seems unfair, since teams only hear tiebreaker tossups and not tiebreaker bonuses. (Obviously if I had taken better notes in our round that went to tiebreakers, I could measure this myself, but my notes for that round are incomplete.)

EDIT: I'm cross-posting to the actual discussion thread to avoid continuous posting in this thread.
Ben Cole, Southside '10, George Mason '14
nothing which we are to perceive in this world equals/ the power of your intense fragility:

"I'll also note the humor in me defending high schoolers from Matt Bollinger." - Mike Cheyne
Important Bird Area

No, tiebreakers don't count toward bonus conversion (there's a check-box in SQBS that tracks this).
Jeff Hoppes
Editor emeritus, ACF

"I wish to make some kind of joke about Jeff's love of birds, but I always fear he'll turn them on me Hitchcock-style." -Fred
Bartleby
Rikku

Post by Bartleby »

A logistical question: did the promised hamburger/sandwich stand ever get set up? And if so, where might it have been??
Brian McNamara
Western University '13
University of Waterloo '14
Temple University '20
Important Bird Area

Bartleby wrote:A logistical question: did the promised hamburger/sandwich stand ever get set up? And if so, where might it have been??
It was not a separate stand as it was last year, but there was a $10 sandwich/drink/chips deal available in the hotel lobby coffee shop.
Jeff Hoppes
Editor emeritus, ACF

Bartleby
Rikku

Post by Bartleby »

bt_green_warbler wrote:
Bartleby wrote:A logistical question: did the promised hamburger/sandwich stand ever get set up? And if so, where might it have been??
It was not a separate stand as it was last year, but there was a $10 sandwich/drink/chips deal available in the hotel lobby coffee shop.
Making this abundantly clear would have been good, because no one could really direct us as to what was going on. I mean, we still got lunch (from the Oh Grill in the lobby), but we had to rush to make our tiebreaker because we were under the impression that some sort of stand would be set up.
Brian McNamara
Western University '13
University of Waterloo '14
Temple University '20
Duncan Idaho
Rikku

Post by Duncan Idaho »

I have a question about the tournament's format. If, after 14 rounds, Chicago, OSU, VCU, and MIT all had three losses and Yale had none, why wasn't Yale awarded the Div II championship outright? I was under the impression that this was now universally how (good, bracketed) tournaments were settled. Even in HSNCT's non-bracketed format, though there's always a final, there is never greater than a one-game difference between the two teams in the final. Was this done just to ensure there was a final? It seems to me that allowing Chicago, or any other team, to play even an advantaged final with Yale could result in an unfair outcome, as Yale could lose the two matches to Chicago and Chicago could be awarded the championship with a worse final record, 12-3 to Yale's 13-2.

EDIT: grammar
Last edited by Duncan Idaho on Wed Apr 13, 2011 2:44 am, edited 2 times in total.
Ben Cole, Southside '10, George Mason '14
nothing which we are to perceive in this world equals/ the power of your intense fragility:

"I'll also note the humor in me defending high schoolers from Matt Bollinger." - Mike Cheyne
jonpin
Auron

Post by jonpin »

Ben Cole wrote:I have a question about the tournament's format. If, after 14 rounds, Chicago, OSU, VCU, and MIT all had three losses and Yale had none, why wasn't Yale awarded the Div II championship outright? I was under the impression that this was now universally how (good, bracketed) tournaments were settled. Even in HSNCT's non-bracketed format, though there's always a final, there is never greater than a one-game difference between the two teams in the final. Was this done just to ensure there was a final? It seems to me that allowing Chicago, or any other team, to play even an advantaged final with Yale could result in an unfair outcome, as Yale could lose the two matches and to Chicago, and Chicago could be awarded the championship with a worse final record, 12-3 to Yale's 13-2.
"NAQT finals format" (as compared with ACF finals format) requires that there always be a final, regardless of the various records of the top two teams at the end of the pre-finals games. A similar (but not quite as drastic) situation happened in the 2005 D-II ICT. After playoffs, Michigan was 12-1 while Chicago and Harding were both 10-3. Chicago beat Harding in a tiebreaker and then took two straight from Michigan to win the D-II title. There was a modest uproar at the time, as I recall.
Jon Pinyan
Coach, Bergen County Academies (NJ); former player for BCA (2000-03) and WUSTL (2003-07)
HSQB forum mod, PACE member
Stat director for: NSC '13-'15, '17; ACF '14, '17, '19; NHBB '13-'15; NASAT '11

"A [...] wizard who controls the weather" - Jerry Vinokurov
Sun Devil Student
Rikku

Post by Sun Devil Student »

Ben Cole wrote:Yale could lose the two matches and to Chicago, and Chicago could be awarded the championship with a worse final record, 12-3 to Yale's 13-2.
I actually thought of this a while ago when I first read NAQT's hosting requirements for high school State Championships, which actually explicitly allow this kind of outcome (as I remember, NAQT allows hosts to decide whether to hold a final or not; the only restriction is that the final can't be *one* game if the teams have different records and the worse team wins the first game. The host could choose to have no final or an advantaged final.)

I also thought of a simple tweak like this: If the top team in the finals is n games ahead of the second place team, the second place team must win (n+1) games in a row while the top team needs to win only 1 game. This way, the second-place team is not declared the victor until their record improves to the point of being better than the first-place team. For example, you could have an extremely-advantaged final between a 12-1 and a 10-4 team in which the 9-4 team has to win 4 games in a row, boosting it to 13-4 with the other team down to 12-5 having lost all four games in the final series. A win by the 12-1 team at any point during the series terminates the tournament.

Of course, in practice there often aren't enough packets for such a long finals series, and beyond about 3 games it starts to get kind of ridiculous (and almost impossible for the second place team to win anyways, if they're that different in skill).

So just one idea. Let advantaged finals go up to 3 games, rather than 2.
Kenneth Lan, ASU '11, '12, UIC '17
The University of Illinois at Chicago
-stranger in a strange land (2013-)
The Sonoran Desert quizbowl ecosystem
-activist/advocate (2010-2013)
The Arizona State University Quizbowl Club
-elder statesman (2011-2013)
-coach (2009-2011)
-club president (2008-2011)
-founder (2007-)
Kyle
Auron

Post by Kyle »

Back before we got to the point where a fundamental quizbowl axiom could be violated by three undergrad teams making the top bracket, this situation was likely to be even more pronounced among the teams competing for the undergrad title. I was on both sides of it in consecutive years. In 2007, Carleton made the top bracket and we made the second; we got to play a final against them anyway. In 2008, we were the only undergraduate team in the top bracket and got to have an advantage against Dartmouth, who squeaked past Minnesota in a second-bracket tiebreaker. The teams' records are irrelevant when they're in different brackets, too, meaning that in 2008 we had an advantage with a 6-7 record (having lost the top bracket) over Dartmouth, who had a 9-5 record (having won the second bracket). I bring this up to point out that any resolution to the perceived problem is going to be a little more complicated than the previous few posts suggest. I tend to be of the opinion (a) that it's worth contesting a final regardless and (b) that if you can't win at least one of two games in the final, you don't really deserve to win no matter how good your record was in the prelims and playoffs.
Kyle Haddad-Fonda
Harvard '09
Oxford '13
Important Bird Area

The set is clear now; I'll move the question-specific discussion over from the private forum.
Jeff Hoppes
Editor emeritus, ACF