What to do with bystanders?

Old college threads.
bmcke
Wakka

What to do with bystanders?

Post by bmcke »

My club's hosting SCT in a few days, and there's a decent chance we'll have more volunteers than we can use. After we fill out mods, scorekeepers, TD, and someone on stats, our attendance numbers show people left over who are attending the tournament but not playing -- highschoolers who aren't eligible to play, or people from our Trivia Club with no interest in joining a house team.

- Is there anything these people can do to help with the tournament?
- Is there anything these people can do just to have something to do?
- Are they any problems I should watch out for from having all these extra people around?

It should be noted that this "problem" is largely my fault / my club's fault, since we sent out such an aggressive call for volunteers.
Brendan McKendy
University of Ottawa 2011
Ontario QBA 2019

alexdz
Rikku

Re: What to do with bystanders?

Post by alexdz »

If only you could send them to me...

It cannot hurt to have someone assisting the statistician, even if just to intercept scoresheets as they come in the room so as to keep the stats table clear.
Alex Dzurick
====
Owner/Editor, SAGES Quizbowl Questions
Coach, Harcum College (PA)
====
Former midwesterner (South Callaway - Mizzou - UIUC) coping with life on the east coast.

Susan
Forums Staff: Administrator

Post by Susan »

What an excellent problem to have--whatever you're doing to get your volunteers to come out, keep it up!

Ideas for extra staffers:
-if you have more competent moderators and scorekeepers than you need, you can rotate people in and out (though, obviously, the need to use the best staffers trumps the need to let everyone participate as a staffer)
-extra hands for the stats person--organizing scoresheets, tracking down sheets that haven't come in, keeping an eye on the tossups-heard per round in case there are any slow moderators who should be replaced.
-on the off chance you're not running everything off laptops, you can have a packet wrangler--someone who holds onto all of the packets, makes sure no one has access to them who ought not to, and passes the appropriate packet out at the beginning of each round so that no one grabs the wrong one. if you've got loads of extra people you could have a packet wrangler for DI and a packet wrangler for DII.
-if your schedule has byes, you could perhaps let the high schoolers scrimmage teams on their byes.
-if you have enough competent readers, this could free the TD up to not read and thereby be available to deal with any problems as they arise; if the TD is needed to read, it's still useful to have a general dogsbody who can handle things like "call R and resolve this protest," "chase those LARPers out of a game room" or "get campus security to unlock this door" (regarding the latter, it's helpful if the person is a student).

I don't think the extra people are likely to be a big problem unless they're hanging out in game rooms being loud.
Susan
UChicago alum (AB 2003, PhD 2009)
Member emerita, ACF

bmcke
Wakka

Post by bmcke »

I like these ideas. Definitely our TD won't be reading, and we'll be sure to have someone collecting stats and handing out packets. We also just added an extra house team, so our casual U of O players can rotate between playing / scorekeeping / standing around. Here are two I've wondered about:

- Putting a second scorekeeper in some rooms. It's weird to me that so many quiz-players distract themselves during a tournament by keeping back-up scoresheets. Maybe it would be worth having two people keep score in our (two) Div I rooms? Drawback: people might feel demeaned by this job.
- Highschoolers scrimmaging bye teams. This got proposed and I went against it at first, because I didn't want to give teams a "job" during their byes. This could be fun to do informally, though, if it works under NAQT rules. The official doc doesn't say anything about, like, non-paying exhibition teams.

Are we really the first school with too many volunteers at something?
Brendan McKendy
University of Ottawa 2011
Ontario QBA 2019

Important Bird Area

Post by Important Bird Area »

bmcke wrote:Highschoolers scrimmaging bye teams. This got proposed and I went against it at first, because I didn't want to give teams a "job" during their byes. This could be fun to do informally, though, if it works under NAQT rules. The official doc doesn't say anything about, like, non-paying exhibition teams.
This is fine assuming two obvious conditions:

1. You keep enough unread packets to resolve tiebreakers/schedule problems.

2. None of the high schoolers involved are planning to play spring high school tournaments using either of the SCT sets.
Jeff Hoppes
President, Northern California Quiz Bowl Alliance
former HSQB Chief Admin (2012-13)
VP for Communication and history subject editor, NAQT
Editor emeritus, ACF

"I wish to make some kind of joke about Jeff's love of birds, but I always fear he'll turn them on me Hitchcock-style." -Fred

bsmith
Tidus

Post by bsmith »

Susan wrote:What an excellent problem to have--whatever you're doing to get your volunteers to come out, keep it up!
This doesn't account for all the staff, but in Ontario, HS students must complete volunteer hours. The large pool of Lisgar qb players are happy to oblige if we sign their volunteer forms.
Ben Smith
Ottawa '08 & '10

tiwonge
Yuna

Post by tiwonge »

bt_green_warbler wrote:2. None of the high schoolers involved are planning to play spring high school tournaments using either of the SCT sets.
How do we know if a spring tournament uses SCT sets? Are they explicit (I didn't realize people did that), or is it that there is some overlap between questions like there is between DI and DII or DII and CC?

(And if they're observing anyway, they'll hear the questions. I'm not sure that playing them would be any different.)
Colin McNamara, Boise State University
PACE
Idaho Quiz & Academic Teams

Important Bird Area

Post by Important Bird Area »

tiwonge wrote:How do we know if a spring tournament uses SCT sets? Are they explicit (I didn't realize people did that), or is it that there is some overlap between questions like there is between DI and DII or DII and CC?
These are tournaments that explicitly announce "we will use the DII SCT set," such as the Mid-Atlantic Championship or Midwest Championship. It has been suggested on this board that there might be an event of this type this year using the DI set instead.

There has been no overlap between IS sets and DII SCT since (I believe) 2007.
Jeff Hoppes
President, Northern California Quiz Bowl Alliance
former HSQB Chief Admin (2012-13)
VP for Communication and history subject editor, NAQT
Editor emeritus, ACF

"I wish to make some kind of joke about Jeff's love of birds, but I always fear he'll turn them on me Hitchcock-style." -Fred

Sen. Estes Kefauver (D-TN)
Chairman of Anti-Music Mafia Committee

Post by Sen. Estes Kefauver (D-TN) »

It has been suggested on this board that there might be an event of this type this year using the DI set instead.
Fortunately I don't think that idea is being acted on.
Charlie Dees, North Kansas City HS '08
"I won't say more because I know some of you parse everything I say." - Jeremy Gibbs

"At one TJ tournament the neg prize was the Hampshire College ultimate frisbee team (nude) calender featuring one Evan Silberman. In retrospect that could have been a disaster." - Harry White

The Ununtiable Twine
Auron

Post by The Ununtiable Twine »

It might be a good idea to make bystanders watching matches put themselves on a list of players that would be ineligible to play in tournament that use these questions just as a precaution. Just hand the list of people ineligible to play in them over to NAQT and that's that.
Jake Sundberg
Louisiana '04-'10, '14-'16, '18-'xx
Alabama '10-14
President, University of Louisiana at Lafayette Club for Academic Competition

cvdwightw
Auron

Post by cvdwightw »

bmcke wrote:Putting a second scorekeeper in some rooms. It's weird to me that so many quiz-players distract themselves during a tournament by keeping back-up scoresheets.
See here: http://www.hsquizbowl.org/forums/viewto ... =20&t=3196
Dwight Wynne
socalquizbowl.org
UC Irvine 2008-2013; UCLA 2004-2007; Capistrano Valley High School 2000-2003

"It's a competition, but it's not a sport. On a scale, if football is a 10, then rowing would be a two. One would be Quiz Bowl." --Matt Birk on rowing, SI On Campus, 10/21/03

"If you were my teammate, I would have tossed your ass out the door so fast you'd be emitting Cerenkov radiation, but I'm not classy like Dwight." --Jerry