Early Autumn Collegiate Novice at Shorter (10/02/10)

Old college threads.
ShorterPearson
Wakka

Early Autumn Collegiate Novice at Shorter (10/02/10)

Post by ShorterPearson »

Shorter Academic Bowl, your Southeastern leader in quality tournaments that are announced entirely too late, is proud to be a host for the Early Autumn Collegiate Novice tournament on October 2, 2010 at Shorter University, in Rome, GA.

We will conduct registration in the Minor Fine Arts building between 9:00 AM and 10:00 AM, with a general meeting to happen at 10:00 in the Chorale Room in Minor Fine Arts and games to begin immediately after. The tournament editors have asked us to arrange a schedule that would assure conclusion before 5:00 PM, and we will respect that request.

Our fee schedule for the tournament is as follows:
Per the editors, teams will play for $15 per player; the base fee is (obviously) $60 for a team of 4.
We will discount you for buzzers and moderators brought a reasonable amount; however, since I've never dealt with a per-player fee before, I'm still figuring out a reasonable amount. Ask. We'll be fair, and you'll feel like we're fair.

These are the "novice" rules for the tournament, again per the editors:
1. All ACF eligibility rules apply, except when they contradict the rules below.
2. This is a tournament for introducing collegiate novices to quizbowl. Consequently, no high school teams or players are eligible.
3. Anyone (who does not break Rules 1 or 2) who has never played quizbowl before is automatically eligible. Other academic competition does not count as quizbowl for this rule.
4. Players meeting one or more of the following criteria must apply to the head editor for special permission to play:
i. If you have already completed your second year of college (calculated from time in college, not credits).
ii. If you were ever on a playoff team at NAQT HSNCT or PACE NSC.
iii. If you have ever scored at least 30 points per game at any college tournament.
iv. If you have ever won any college tournament.
5. Anyone who does not fall into any of the four categories listed in Rule 4 is automatically eligible to play.

(We have already had a request from someone outside these standards to compete; I would very much like to arrange a schedule that would let as many people play as want to, but only have the eligible novice teams compete for prizes. We'll arrange the schedule appropriately. Remember that the purpose of the tournament is introducing collegiate novices to quizbowl.)

The tournament director will be Chuck Pearson, assisted by Whitney Richert and Jeffrey Rice. The Shorter Academic Bowl e-mail is [email protected]; my personal e-mail is [email protected]. (I can be Facebooked as well.) Bug the tar out of us and keep us honest.

We look forward to seeing you in October!
Chuck Pearson
East Tennessee/Southwest Virginia quiz bowl flunky (and that won't change)
Vice President of Outreach (2018-2019), PACE (seriously, what even)
Associate Professor of Natural Science, Tusculum University (coming soon to a collegiate tournament in the Mid-South)
[email protected], @ShorterPearson where relevant
49-Mile Scenic Drive
Rikku

Re: Early Autumn Collegiate Novice at Shorter (10/02/10)

Post by 49-Mile Scenic Drive »

Assuming you go through with letting people outside the criteria play, but only those who meet the criteria be eligible for prizes, I'd love to drive down and play this assuming I don't have to work. I should know whether or not I have to work on that day within the next couple weeks or so.
Mark Morris
University of Alabama-Huntsville '13
Auburn Pharmacy '19
Frater Taciturnus
Auron

Post by Frater Taciturnus »

49-Mile Scenic Drive wrote:Assuming you go through with letting people outside the criteria play, but only those who meet the criteria be eligible for prizes, I'd love to drive down and play this assuming I don't have to work. I should know whether or not I have to work on that day within the next couple weeks or so.
This sounds like a job for emailing Andrew hart for an eligibility request!
Janet Berry
[email protected]
she/they
--------------
J. Sargeant Reynolds CC 2008, 2009, 2014
Virginia Commonwealth 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013,
Douglas Freeman 2005, 2006, 2007
49-Mile Scenic Drive
Rikku

Frater Taciturnus wrote:
49-Mile Scenic Drive wrote:Assuming you go through with letting people outside the criteria play, but only those who meet the criteria be eligible for prizes, I'd love to drive down and play this assuming I don't have to work. I should know whether or not I have to work on that day within the next couple weeks or so.
I think I meet 3 out of the 4 other criteria George, the only exception being winning a College Tournament. I figure that would definitely knock me out of the eligibility party quick. Unless playing solo had some affect on it of course. However, I will try to send an e-mail shortly just to see.
Mark Morris
Auburn Pharmacy '19
Frater Taciturnus
Auron

Post by Frater Taciturnus »

49-Mile Scenic Drive wrote:
Frater Taciturnus wrote:
I think I meet 3 out of the 4 other criteria George, the only exception being winning a College Tournament. I figure that would definitely knock me out of the eligibility party quick. Unless playing solo had some affect on it of course. However, I will try to send an e-mail shortly just to see.
Well andrew had said that people who felt they should be allowed to play but were ruled out by a requirement should email him, hence the post.
Janet Berry
[email protected]
she/they
--------------
J. Sargeant Reynolds CC 2008, 2009, 2014
Virginia Commonwealth 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013,
Douglas Freeman 2005, 2006, 2007
49-Mile Scenic Drive
Rikku

Oh gotcha, I'm emailing him as we speak
Mark Morris
Auburn Pharmacy '19
The Ununtiable Twine
Auron

Post by The Ununtiable Twine »

Alabama is interested in attending this event. I don't know how many teams we'll have yet, but I'm sure it'll be at least one.
Jake Sundberg
Louisiana, Alabama
retired
Cooper98
Wakka

Post by Cooper98 »

DarkMatter wrote:Alabama is interested in attending this event. I don't know how many teams we'll have yet, but I'm sure it'll be at least one.
I dunno if we'll have any Jake. That's the weekend of the Florida game.
Owen Cooper
Gadsden City High School '07
Alabama '11

Out of business.
Marble-faced Bristle Tyrant
Yuna

Post by Marble-faced Bristle Tyrant »

I hope GT can send at least one team.
Farrah Bilimoria
Formerly of Georgia Tech and Central High School (Macon)
The Ununtiable Twine
Auron

Post by The Ununtiable Twine »

Cooper98 wrote:
DarkMatter wrote:Alabama is interested in attending this event. I don't know how many teams we'll have yet, but I'm sure it'll be at least one.
I dunno if we'll have any Jake. That's the weekend of the Florida game.
Please do not discuss internal matters on the board, thanks. By saying such things, you give readers the notion that AAQT values college football more than competitive quizbowl. We are trying to fix our image, not add to the problem.

User was warned for telling other people how to post.
Jake Sundberg
Louisiana, Alabama
retired
ShorterPearson
Wakka

Post by ShorterPearson »

Meanwhile, back at the ranch...

I have a confirmation of Mark Morris (playing solo, I believe)...and, apart from a house team of freshmen and sophomores, that's the field.

I appreciate the interest that's been informally shown, but at a certain point, I need to know who's coming. Alabama and GT people especially, if you have a team coming, please send e-mail ([email protected] or [email protected]). If you have an interest and just need more info, drop the note to me specifically ([email protected]) and I'll talk to you.

Many thanks.
Chuck Pearson
Associate Professor of Natural Science, Tusculum University (coming soon to a collegiate tournament in the Mid-South)
Cooper98
Wakka

Post by Cooper98 »

ShorterPearson wrote:Meanwhile, back at the ranch...

I have a confirmation of Mark Morris (playing solo, I believe)...and, apart from a house team of freshmen and sophomores, that's the field.

I appreciate the interest that's been informally shown, but at a certain point, I need to know who's coming. Alabama and GT people especially, if you have a team coming, please send e-mail ([email protected] or [email protected]). If you have an interest and just need more info, drop the note to me specifically ([email protected]) and I'll talk to you.

Many thanks.

Alabama won't be attending due to lack of funds. We will attempt to go to your future tournaments though. I myself am fond of Rome, Georgia.
Owen Cooper
Gadsden City High School '07
Alabama '11

Out of business.
Marble-faced Bristle Tyrant
Yuna

Post by Marble-faced Bristle Tyrant »

I don't think GT will be able to field a team since the majority of our recruits seem to have disappeared.
Farrah Bilimoria
Formerly of Georgia Tech and Central High School (Macon)
ShorterPearson
Wakka

Post by ShorterPearson »

At T-minus-one-week to tournament, the official field is Morris (solo), Shorter, and Auburn-Montgomery (welcome!).

This is almost certain to be the lowest-key tournament in the history of quiz bowl. We fully intend to have a good time.

It is absolutely not too late to join us. Send e-mail to [email protected] if you're interested.
Chuck Pearson
49-Mile Scenic Drive
Rikku

Since I finally have some time on the boards and remembered about this, I'll post the quick results.

1st - Snead State (Myself) *
t2nd - Alabama (Rob Palmer) *
t2nd - Shorter University
4th - AUM

Individuals:

1st- Mark Morris
2nd- Robert Palmer
3rd - Eli from Shorter
4th - Will (I think?) from AUM

We played 6 rounds followed by an exhibition round featuring AUM's coach, Jake Sundberg, and a grad student from AUM in addition to the top scorers. I'd like to thank Chuck for a very enjoyable tournament, and not to mention thank him tremendously for buying our lunch. I look forward to coming back to Shorter for future tournaments. Chuck kept stats and I'm sure will post them when he gets a chance.
Mark Morris
Auburn Pharmacy '19
Adventure Temple Trail
Auron

Post by Adventure Temple Trail »

Are stats for this mirror available at this point?
Matt Jackson
University of Chicago '24
Yale '14, Georgetown Day School '10
member emeritus, ACF