Mea maxima culpa

Old college threads.
OntarioQuizzer
Lulu

Mea maxima culpa

Post by OntarioQuizzer »

I don't know what there is to say, really. There is no rational explanation or excuse for my recent actions except for "I dropped the ball completely".

I only ask to the quiz bowl community at large that my own actions not be held against any of the current Guelph squad.

Kudos to everyone that took a role in salvaging things from this.
Andy Saunders
formerly Brock University
(former) general helper, University of Guelph quiz bowl
Mechanical Beasts
Banned Cheater

Re: Mea maxima culpa

Post by Mechanical Beasts »

Just out of curiosity--when it was plain that you weren't going to edit this tournament, and that other people would have to, why didn't you come out of the woodwork to mention "yeah, that would be a good idea, I'm totally not going to appear the night before saying that i had edited the n packets that have been sent to me but am missing those that were only sent to Kurtis" or something like that? It would have been nice just to know that, like, you were totally dropping out of the project--as it was, we were just guessing that you were prooobably no longer involved.
Andrew Watkins
Down and out in Quintana Roo
Auron

Post by Down and out in Quintana Roo »

Yeah, exactly explaining what the heck happened with you would be helpful.
Mr. Andrew Chrzanowski
Caesar Rodney High School
Camden, Delaware
CRHS '97-'01
University of Delaware '01-'05
CRHS quizbowl coach '06-'12
http://crquizbowl.edublogs.org
bsmith
Tidus

Post by bsmith »

You had activities other than ANGST lined up for the day. Perhaps that activity was very important for those people involved, but you should have let all the quizbowlers know that something else came up... before we had to make reservations, submit packets, worry about organization, etc.
Ben Smith
Ottawa '08 & '10
OntarioQuizzer
Lulu

Post by OntarioQuizzer »

Carangoides ciliarius wrote:Yeah, exactly explaining what the heck happened with you would be helpful.
Looking back, everything goes back to "announcing the project before I had enough things ready to prevent the project from failing". This probably should have been things from "specifically what date?" "have more questions ready on my end", "have definite answers about a fair fee structure and mirrors". As it turned out, the project managed to get itself behind schedule due to my own time management issues, and it went past the point of no return before I realized it. Yes, this in itself was a problem, and my silence certainly didn't help matters.
Crazy Andy Watkins wrote:Just out of curiosity--when it was plain that you weren't going to edit this tournament, and that other people would have to, why didn't you come out of the woodwork to mention "yeah, that would be a good idea, I'm totally not going to appear the night before saying that i had edited the n packets that have been sent to me but am missing those that were only sent to Kurtis" or something like that? It would have been nice just to know that, like, you were totally dropping out of the project--as it was, we were just guessing that you were prooobably no longer involved.
In hindsight, this would have been an excellent idea.
bsmith wrote:You had activities other than ANGST lined up for the day. Perhaps that activity was very important for those people involved, but you should have let all the quizbowlers know that something else came up... before we had to make reservations, submit packets, worry about organization, etc.
Yes. Other activies were eventually lined up. However, those activities only were lined up once it became apparent to me that other players had overtaken the project and that my appearance at the ANGST itself would probably be a rather poor idea.
Andy Saunders
formerly Brock University
(former) general helper, University of Guelph quiz bowl