Videogames and Misc. Topics Discussion

Old college threads.
Mike Bentley
Sin

Videogames and Misc. Topics Discussion

Post by Mike Bentley »

Discuss videogames and everything under the 3/3 other in this topic.
Mike Bentley
Treasurer, Partnership for Academic Competition Excellence
Adviser, Quizbowl Team at University of Washington
University of Maryland, Class of 2008
stevebahnaman
Wakka

Re: Videogames and Misc. Topics Discussion

Post by stevebahnaman »

Could you post a list of the Videogames questions like you did for the sports questions, so I can see if one thing I thought was in fact accurate?
Steve Bahnaman, Campbell University
Commissioner, Online Quiz League USA (quizcentral.net)
NC Wesleyan College, Librarian and Quiz Bowl Advisor/Coach 2009-2011
Emory Academic Team, 1999-2004
Pretty trashy
Mike Bentley
Sin

Post by Mike Bentley »

Mario & Donkey Kong / Ms. Pac-Man
Frogger / Punch-Out
Total War / Revived Series
Virtual Boy / PS2 Launch
Burnout / NCSoft MMOs
Max / WiiWare
Game Gear / Golf Games
Skies of Arcadia / Fighting Games
Dracula / NFL2k series
Activision / Flight Simulators
Bomberman / Games set in London
Silent Hill 2 / Mega Man X
Dark World / 2.5D Games
Hockey Games / FFXIII
Ghostbusters / Expansion packets
Killzone 2 / Riven
Dante / Disney Games
Trauma Center / Casual Gaming Sites
Ratchet and Clank Future: A Crack in Time / Ubisoft Games
Laserdisc / Modern Warfare 2

Looking back, I think I did a poor job suppressing my interests. Things that I obviously like (older videogames, especially of the 16-bit era; platformers) came up too frequently while things I don't like as much (PC Games; AAA 360/PS3 titles) didn't come up enough. I also shouldn't have indulged myself quite so much with some of these questions (e.g. Laserdisc, Ghostbusters, Dracula and Virtual Boy).

The counter-argument, I guess, is that some of the "popular" modern games ended up being more difficult than tossups on older series like Bomberman or whatever. For instance, I think the conversion rate of Killzone 2 and A Crack in Time was pretty low and I'd be relatively surprised if there were a lot of people getting early buzzes on questions like Trauma Center.
Mike Bentley
Treasurer, Partnership for Academic Competition Excellence
Adviser, Quizbowl Team at University of Washington
University of Maryland, Class of 2008
stevebahnaman
Wakka

Post by stevebahnaman »

I wondered whether Killzone 2 was a particularly good tossup answer choice given that recent games tended not to show up much anyway.

I wonder if the problem you mention would have benefitted (like most non-submission tournaments probably would) from a tournament-wide distro where you followed "2-2 X360/PS3, 4-4 PC with at least 2-2 after 2000..." and did it that way. NAQT does this I think. Did you do anything like that, or was it more of an eyeball thing?
Steve Bahnaman, Campbell University
Commissioner, Online Quiz League USA (quizcentral.net)
NC Wesleyan College, Librarian and Quiz Bowl Advisor/Coach 2009-2011
Emory Academic Team, 1999-2004
Pretty trashy
Demonic Leftovers
Wakka

Post by Demonic Leftovers »

The overabundance of video game questions on your favorite topics was definitely noticed and commented on by my team. As for the modern video games questions (which is what I know the best) I thought they were ok. I got Killzone 2 because I played it and if we had played the finals I could have gotten the A Crack in Time question. However I agree these were probably too hard. I think the solution is too make these on series or notable characters or other aspects from these series. Turn Killzone 2 into a Killzone question and the A Crack in Time question into a question on Ratchet or Clank. I would have liked to see more balance between modern and old videogames.
TWO TIME NATIONAL CHAMPION David A. Seal, Esq.
QUINTUPLE CROWN WINNER: ICT/ICT/NHB/NHB/CULT
Coach of 2014 and 2015 ICT Champion UVA
University of Chicago '10
University of Virginia School of Law '13
Not Every Team Can Afford Me
Coattail Rider
gregpweinstein
Lulu

Post by gregpweinstein »

I agree with your assessment of your video game questions. Luckily, for my team I was playing with John Kilby but usually I am okay on video games due to my interest the past 10 years, but there was a definite shift towards the 90s and more nintendo and other systems of the sort as opposed to playstation and xbox, which I always thought a distribution would be 1/4, 1/4, 1/4, and 1/4 for the respective big 3 and the extra for pc and systems that have died out, but which were prevalent. Either way I am not able to comment on the difficulty or accessibility of the questions that you did write.
Mr. Charles Montgomery Burns, "I cant be responsible for what my goons are ordered to do."
Greg "Lover of red-headed women, The Simpsons, and various other stuff" Weinstein
Berry College 2007-?