2010 ACE

Dormant threads from the high school sections are preserved here.
Scott
Rikku

2010 ACE

Post by Scott »

I know this may be a little early, but,
Is there any word on what classes will be offered at ACE this year?
Grayson is planning on taking at least 6 students and a couple of coaches to SEMO.

Edit: Looks like we're are going to Cambellsville now, which makes a lot more sense, actually.
Last edited by Scott on Sun Apr 25, 2010 11:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Scott Blain
Grayson '12
Vanderbilt '16
Eric Huff
Wakka

Re: 2010 ACE

Post by Eric Huff »

Scott,

We're still finalizing the details, but we should be able to make a preliminary announcement soon. Rest assured that there will be plenty of new classes offered covering every major category that comes up in quizbowl. As soon as we have a finalized course listing, we'll post it here and on http://www.acequizbowlcamp.com
Eric Huff

National History Bee (eric AT historybee.com)
ACE Quizbowl Camps (eric AT acequizbowlcamp.com)
Former Head Coach, Dorman High School (2001-2012)

http://www.historybee.com
http://www.acequizbowlcamp.com
Rountree
Rikku

Post by Rountree »

Scott,

We look forward to having you back at ACE this summer. Mr. Huff is correct; hopefully, we will have a preliminary announcement for classes in the next couple of weeks. For now, though, I am pretty confident I can tell you what I will be teaching: Brit Lit II (1798 and after), Shakespeare, and Popular Plots - Short Fiction.

Brit Lit II is not a new class, but I didn't teach it last year at SEMO (or at any of the other ACE camps if I recall correctly). Shakespeare is always in high demand, so we are bringing it back again. The Popular Plots - Short Fiction class is new, and it will likely focus on 30-40 of the most commonly asked about short stories, novellas, and collections, that come up in quizbowl. The works will not come from a particular time period; instead, we will try to look at mainly non-American pieces, though some American works will definitely make an appearance.

See you soon!
Elliott Rountree
Lambert Coach, 2017-present
Buford Coach, 2014-2015
Chattahoochee Coach, 2004-2014
GATA, 2018-present; 2007-2014
ACE, 2000-2013
Scott
Rikku

Post by Scott »

I will be definitely be taking to short fiction class this summer.
I also want to take another lit class that I have not yet taken.
Do you know who will be teaching Modern History this year; I may want to take that.
Scott Blain
Grayson '12
Vanderbilt '16
ryandillon
Wakka

Post by ryandillon »

RountreeCHS wrote:Scott,

We look forward to having you back at ACE this summer. Mr. Huff is correct; hopefully, we will have a preliminary announcement for classes in the next couple of weeks. For now, though, I am pretty confident I can tell you what I will be teaching: Brit Lit II (1798 and after), Shakespeare, and Popular Plots - Short Fiction.

Brit Lit II is not a new class, but I didn't teach it last year at SEMO (or at any of the other ACE camps if I recall correctly). Shakespeare is always in high demand, so we are bringing it back again. The Popular Plots - Short Fiction class is new, and it will likely focus on 30-40 of the most commonly asked about short stories, novellas, and collections, that come up in quizbowl. The works will not come from a particular time period; instead, we will try to look at mainly non-American pieces, though some American works will definitely make an appearance.

See you soon!
Take the Brit Lit. By the way Mr. Rountree, do you think that you are going to be teaching Modern World Literature again? I have taken that the past two summers and it has really helped me develop as a player.
Ryan Dillon

Detroit Catholic Central Class of 2011
University of Michigan Class of 2015
DrCongo
Wakka

Post by DrCongo »

I'd be really interested in a Modern History class, too. Also, are there plans for a geography class?
Bobby Dorigo Jones
Detroit Catholic Central '12
Michigan State University '16
Harvard '17
Eric Huff
Wakka

Post by Eric Huff »

I'm not sure exactly how you define "Modern World History", but I can confirm that we are definitely teaching a "Current Events" class. There will also almost certainly be a yet-to-be-finalized/named 20th Century History Class. Both of these would potentially touch on "Modern World History"

Geography is something that we have offered in the past and will no-doubt offer again, but I'm not sure if we'll be offering it this summer. It largely depends on staff availability.

Sorry that I can't be more concrete, but I assure you that we will have a plethora of interesting, quizbowl-relevant classes at all three camps.
Eric Huff

Rountree
Rikku

Post by Rountree »

ryandillon wrote:By the way Mr. Rountree, do you think that you are going to be teaching Modern World Literature again?
No, not the same Modern World Literature course again. However, my new Short Fiction class will have several non-American and non-British works in it. As examples, think of stories like "In a Grove", "The Garden of Forking Paths", and "Dubliners."
Elliott Rountree
Lambert Coach, 2017-present
Buford Coach, 2014-2015
Chattahoochee Coach, 2004-2014
GATA, 2018-present; 2007-2014
ACE, 2000-2013
ryandillon
Wakka

Post by ryandillon »

RountreeCHS wrote:
ryandillon wrote:By the way Mr. Rountree, do you think that you are going to be teaching Modern World Literature again?
No, not the same Modern World Literature course again. However, my new Short Fiction class will have several non-American and non-British works in it. As examples, think of stories like "In a Grove", "The Garden of Forking Paths", and "Dubliners."
If available at Milligan, consider it taken. Also, just a quick question. At Milligan is there a CVS or some sort of store like that nearby? Or should I plan on bringing my wide assortment of energy drinks, kleenex, and such?
Ryan Dillon

Duncan Idaho
Rikku

Post by Duncan Idaho »

ryandillon wrote:If available at Milligan, consider it taken. Also, just a quick question. At Milligan is there a CVS or some sort of store like that nearby? Or should I plan on bringing my wide assortment of energy drinks, kleenex, and such?
Students aren't allowed to leave campus, although if you can find an adult to go with you, you might be able to search for a pharmacy.
Ben Cole, Southside '10, George Mason '14
nothing which we are to perceive in this world equals/ the power of your intense fragility:

"I'll also note the humor in me defending high schoolers from Matt Bollinger." - Mike Cheyne
Rufous-capped Thornbill
Tidus

Post by Rufous-capped Thornbill »

Ben Cole wrote:
ryandillon wrote:If available at Milligan, consider it taken. Also, just a quick question. At Milligan is there a CVS or some sort of store like that nearby? Or should I plan on bringing my wide assortment of energy drinks, kleenex, and such?
Students aren't allowed to leave campus, although if you can find an adult to go with you, you might be able to search for a pharmacy.
At Campbellsville last year, DCC kids would hit up CVS quite frequently. And yes, it was allowed.
Jarret Greene
South Range '10 / Ohio State '13 / Vermont '17
Duncan Idaho
Rikku

Post by Duncan Idaho »

Inkana7 wrote:At Campbellsville last year, DCC kids would hit up CVS quite frequently. And yes, it was allowed.
I could've sworn that at Milligan we were told to stay on campus unless we had special permission. Perhaps I'm misremembering.
Ben Cole, Southside '10, George Mason '14
nothing which we are to perceive in this world equals/ the power of your intense fragility:

"I'll also note the humor in me defending high schoolers from Matt Bollinger." - Mike Cheyne
jrbarry
Tidus

Post by jrbarry »

Ryan:

Nothing commercial is anywhere near Milligan College. Seriously. No CVS adjacent to the campus like in Campbellsville. So, no one will be leaving the MC campus during that ACE camp unless driven by an adult. Sorry about that.

JR Barry, Director
ACE 2010 Camps
J.R. Barry
Retired teacher and former coach
ryandillon
Wakka

Post by ryandillon »

jrbarry wrote:Ryan:

Nothing commercial is anywhere near Milligan College. Seriously. No CVS adjacent to the campus like in Campbellsville. So, no one will be leaving the MC campus during that ACE camp unless driven by an adult. Sorry about that.

JR Barry, Director
ACE 2010 Camps

No worries Mr. Barry! Also, are there fridges? (Sorry for all this pestering but I seriously can't go on quiz bowl binges like I do at ACE without some Rockstar)
Ryan Dillon

DrCongo
Wakka

Post by DrCongo »

ryandillon wrote:No worries Mr. Barry! Also, are there fridges? (Sorry for all this pestering but I seriously can't go on quiz bowl binges like I do at ACE without some Rockstar)
Don't worry, Ryan. I'll stock the van. In the meantime we should be thinking of this year's shenanigans.
Bobby Dorigo Jones
Harvard '17
jrbarry
Tidus

Post by jrbarry »

Guys:

No refrigs at Milligan. Really spartan there compared to Campbellsville which is like the Hilton compared to Milligan.

And you aren't bothering me at all. Keep any shanangans SAFE! :-)

JRB
J.R. Barry
ryandillon
Wakka

Post by ryandillon »

I'm going to go out on a limb and assume there are plugs. Bring the mini-fridge(s) bobbo.
Ryan Dillon

DrCongo
Wakka

Post by DrCongo »

Ok I'm making the list. Anything else? And I've never heard bobbo before.
Bobby Dorigo Jones
Harvard '17
Eric Huff
Wakka

Post by Eric Huff »

We have now posted a tentative course listing on our website here:

www.acequizbowlcamp.com/classes
Eric Huff

Eric Huff
Wakka

Post by Eric Huff »

Apparently some people are unable to access the course list on our website. While we work on figuring out the problem, I'll go ahead and post it here...

ACE Quizbowl Camp
2010 Class Offerings

Literature I *
Literature I Lab **
History I*
History I Lab**
Science I*
Science I Lab**

British Literature: 1798-Present
Shakespeare
Ancient Literature
Short Fiction
Poetry

Scientists & Experiments
Anatomy
Astronomy
Chemistry
Math

Social Sciences
World Religion
Opera
Art History

British History: 1660-Present
Post WWII American History
20th Century World History
American Military History
Current Events

Science Buzzer Practice
Literature Buzzer Practice
History Buzzer Practice

* The I-Level courses are designed for players new to quizbowl (or at least new to the "canon" in that particular subject)
** The Lab courses are designed to complement the I-Level courses by offering extra instruction and buzzer practice specific to that subject. You must be in the accompanying I-Level course in order to register for the lab.

ALL COURSES ARE SUBJECT TO CHANGE

For those unfamiliar with how camp works, each camp day is divided into 5 periods. Each camper takes three classes and two individual practice sessions (ability grouped). Each evening all campers are placed into teams (also ability grouped) and compete in a tournament.
Eric Huff

Eric Huff
Wakka

Post by Eric Huff »

Also, to answer a question that we've been asked several times, there is no registration deadline and there are no late fees; we will take registrations up to the day each respective camp begins. However, space is limited at each site. We are well ahead of pace this year (we've already surpassed last year's numbers, and we still have 2 weeks before the start of the first camp), and I fully expect that we will hit our cap at at least one of the sites. If you want to register, there's still time, but you need to do so sooner rather than later. For more information or to register, go to:

Eric Huff

jrbarry
Tidus

Post by jrbarry »

ACE will offer Physics also but only at our Milligan camp in TN.

ACE will offer European History Topics: 1500-1815 at SEMO only.

Not all our courses are offered at every camp. Availability of qualified staff dictates some of that.
J.R. Barry
GBRodgers12
Wakka

Post by GBRodgers12 »

Eric Huff wrote:Apparently some people are unable to access the course list on our website. While we work on figuring out the problem, I'll go ahead and post it here...

ACE Quizbowl Camp
2010 Class Offerings

Literature I *
Literature I Lab **
History I*
History I Lab**
Science I*
Science I Lab**

Shakespeare
Ancient Literature
Short Fiction
Poetry

Scientists & Experiments
Anatomy
Astronomy
Chemistry
Math

Social Sciences
World Religion
Opera
Art History

Current Events

Science Buzzer Practice
History Buzzer Practice

* The I-Level courses are designed for players new to quizbowl (or at least new to the "canon" in that particular subject)
** The Lab courses are designed to complement the I-Level courses by offering extra instruction and buzzer practice specific to that subject. You must be in the accompanying I-Level course in order to register for the lab.

For those unfamiliar with how camp works, each camp day is divided into 5 periods. Each camper takes three classes and two individual practice sessions (ability grouped). Each evening all campers are placed into teams (also ability grouped) and compete in a tournament.
No Geography class? :sad:
Joe Czupryn
Ohio Academic Competition Committee Executive Director
Sidney Coach 2012-2015
Northmont Assistant Coach 2008-2011
Northmont '08
DrCongo
Wakka

Post by DrCongo »

GBRodgers12 wrote:
Eric Huff wrote:Apparently some people are unable to access the course list on our website. While we work on figuring out the problem, I'll go ahead and post it here...

ACE Quizbowl Camp
2010 Class Offerings

Literature I *
Literature I Lab **
History I*
History I Lab**
Science I*
Science I Lab**

Shakespeare
Ancient Literature
Short Fiction
Poetry

Scientists & Experiments
Anatomy
Astronomy
Chemistry
Math

Social Sciences
World Religion
Opera
Art History

Current Events

Science Buzzer Practice
History Buzzer Practice

I too was extremely disheartened by this...
Bobby Dorigo Jones
Harvard '17
Angry Babies in Love
Yuna

Post by Angry Babies in Love »

DrCongo wrote:
GBRodgers12 wrote:

ACE Quizbowl Camp
2010 Class Offerings

Literature I *
Literature I Lab **
History I*
History I Lab**
Science I*
Science I Lab**

Shakespeare
Ancient Literature
Short Fiction
Poetry

Scientists & Experiments
Anatomy
Astronomy
Chemistry
Math

Social Sciences
World Religion
Opera
Art History

Current Events

Science Buzzer Practice
History Buzzer Practice

I too was extremely disheartened by this...
Same. Geography is my one true quizbowl love.
Raynell Cooper
Arcadia ES '04
Richard Montgomery HS '11
George Washington University '15
University of Maryland, College Park '17
Hella things, National History Bee and Bowl
SHM
Lulu

Post by SHM »

Is there a list posted anywhere of who is registered for the Milligan camp?
Susan, Dunbar
jrbarry
Tidus

Post by jrbarry »

Nope. But I can tell you that the Milligan camp has 149 student campers, 9 adult campers, and 17 staff. Dunbar has 3 kids regsitered: John, Valerie, and Vania.
J.R. Barry
ryandillon
Wakka

Post by ryandillon »

jrbarry wrote:Nope. But I can tell you that the Milligan camp has 149 student campers, 9 adult campers, and 17 staff. Dunbar has 3 kids regsitered: John, Valerie, and Vania.
149? Wow. Does Milligan usually get this sort of draw? Or is this a record? Because if I recall correctly we had about 50 kids at Campbellsville last year and about 90 at SEMO the year prior to that.
Ryan Dillon

jrbarry
Tidus

Post by jrbarry »

Ryan:

This is our largest camp since 2000 when we went to multiple camps annually instead of just one at Furman. (We had 247 student campers at that last Furman camp in 2000.)

Last year Milligan and SEMO were exactly the same size, 115 kids at each. Campbellsville was 57 kids. As of today, Milligan is 150 kids and Campbellsville is 85 kids while SEMO stayed exactly the same at 115 last month.

Look forward to seeing you guys next week.

JRB
J.R. Barry