Academic WorldQuest

Dormant threads from the high school sections are preserved here.
FlamingPiWalrusWizard
Lulu

Academic WorldQuest

Post by FlamingPiWalrusWizard »

Hi. I was just wondering if any Quizbowl players could help out a fairly new team short on time hoping to win a local WorldQuest competition. Any strategies or study sources other than the study guide (which can be found here: http://www.worldaffairscouncils.org/ima ... 0Guide.pdf) would be excellent.
Advice would also be appreciated. Thanks!
Eamon, Frenchtown High School '12
Tiger got to hunt, bird got to fly,
Man got to wonder, why, why, why?
Tiger got to sleep, bird got to land,
Man got to say, he understand.
at your pleasure
Auron

Re: Academic WorldQuest

Post by at your pleasure »

I don't know if anyone here has experience with Academic WorldQuest. Could you perhaps post sample questions and/or clarify the game format?
Douglas Graebner, Walt Whitman HS 10, Uchicago 14
"... imagination acts upon man as really as does gravitation, and may kill him as certainly as a dose of prussic acid."-Sir James Frazer,The Golden Bough

http://avorticistking.wordpress.com/
FlamingPiWalrusWizard
Lulu

Post by FlamingPiWalrusWizard »

This page: (http://www.worldaffairscouncils.org/mai ... ction=Main) can probably help you out more than I can, but I'll explain as best I can.
Basically, you sit at a table as a member of a 4-person team in a ballroom or other location where many other tables are containing other teams. At the head of the room, the master of ceremonies reads multiple choice questions aloud that are displayed on the wall by a projector. Each team has an answer sheet in front of them, and they fill in the bubbles accordingly. The questions cover ten areas of study defined by the study guide, including current events, world issues such as pandemics, and a spotlighted country (or two). The tests are 100 questions each, and the winners of each regional competition go to Washington D.C. for nationals with most of the expenses paid, I believe.
Eamon, Frenchtown High School '12
Tiger got to hunt, bird got to fly,
Man got to wonder, why, why, why?
Tiger got to sleep, bird got to land,
Man got to say, he understand.
at your pleasure
Auron

Post by at your pleasure »

What are the questions like?
Douglas Graebner, Walt Whitman HS 10, Uchicago 14
"... imagination acts upon man as really as does gravitation, and may kill him as certainly as a dose of prussic acid."-Sir James Frazer,The Golden Bough

http://avorticistking.wordpress.com/
Kwang the Ninja
Rikku

Post by Kwang the Ninja »

My only advice for such a competition is what our NTAE coach told Team Florida before we played (basically)-- get questions right, but don't get questions wrong.
Dallin Kelson
Chipola '11, UF '13
Adventure Temple Trail
Auron

Post by Adventure Temple Trail »

I did this last year. It doesn't involve buzzers and is more like a written exam where you confer with your teammates than anything else. As a result, the only things worth knowing for such a competition are the things in the study guide, so read it, run over it, memorize it, whatever you need to do. They will pick out dates, place names, and obscure sounding people above all else.
Matt Jackson
University of Chicago '24
Yale '14, Georgetown Day School '10
member emeritus, ACF
Terrible Shorts Depot
Yuna

Post by Terrible Shorts Depot »

I memorized every country's flag last year and that helped. Additionally, spending a lot of time with maps will do you well.
Charlie Rosenthal
Shady Side Academy '09
Carleton College '13
University of Pennsylvania '18
GeneVan
Lulu

Post by GeneVan »

I played on a team at Minnesota's Worldquest this year and we did fairly well. I would recommend flags, capitals and reading the study guides for sure. Also there tend to be a few sports related questions especially about the olympics that tend to come up in our regionals, although I am pretty sure different regions have different questions so this may or may not apply.
Austin Wilder

Georgia Tech 2015
Chanhassen High School 2011, Coach 2016-20
rchschem
Yuna

Post by rchschem »

And don't look for good quizbowl standards. The judges don't care if the question was a hose or not. You'll get responses like "the players should know what we meant by the question."

But: memorize the book they put out and get to know what famous political Europeans look like.
Eric Grunden, Research Triangle High School/NCATA
The Atom Strikes!
Tidus

Post by The Atom Strikes! »

I've done this a few times. Just read the things mentioned in their study guides. If you do that and keep abreast of current events (reading a respectable newspaper or the Economist will do this for you), you should have no trouble.
Henry Gorman, Wilmington Charter '09, Rice '13, PhD History Vanderbilt '1X