Seattle-area Knowledge Bowl

Dormant threads from the high school sections are preserved here.
majadirks
Lulu

Seattle-area Knowledge Bowl

Post by majadirks »

Hello,
This may be gauche to post on a Quizbowl forum, but I'm trying to encourage middle school Knowledge Bowl in the Seattle area. Yes, Quizbowl is in some ways better, but, hey, Knowledge Bowl is much more common in Washington high schools, hence the choice.

Anyway, I've created a website, <http://www.seattleknowledge.org/>, to provide information to local middle schools.

Anybody out there with connections? I have a few schools on board, but it's nowhere near as widespread as it could be.
Matthew Dirks - U Chicago
------------------
My favorite non-pyramidal question:
"These real or imaginary people had unusual features with respect to what part of their bodies?
Erik in 'The Phantom of the Opera'; Severus Snape in the Harry Potter books; Socrates; Tycho Brahe; The Duke of Wellington; Cyrano de Bergerac"
Answer: nose(s)
-Washington Knowledge Bowl, State Tournament 2009 (But where, oh where, is Major Kovalev?)
the return of AHAN
Auron

Re: Seattle-area Knowledge Bowl

Post by the return of AHAN »

15 seconds to confer after buzzing in? :shock:
Sh-auk-ing!
Is this format prevalent anywhere else? And why the affinity for Academic Hallmarks for practice questions if your format is pyramidal?

EDIT: Matthew, give my e-mail address (jprice at barrington220 dot org) to MS coaches looking for pyramidal TU for practices. I have some used packets I can send them.
Jeff Price
Barrington High School Coach
Barrington Station Middle School Coach (2013 MSNCT Champions, 2013 & 2017 Illinois Class AA State Champions)
------------------------------------------------------------------------------
majadirks
Lulu

Re: Seattle-area Knowledge Bowl

Post by majadirks »

*Yeah, fifteen seconds, but nobody uses that long when questions are pyramidal, only on AH questions where you have to spend time figuring out what the question's asking for.
*I recommend AH because there are no pyramidal alternative companies for middle school. Unless you know of any?
*Thanks - I'll share your e-mail!

EDIT: Might it be easier if you sent me the packets to post on the site? My e-mail is majadirks at gmail dot com.
Matthew Dirks - U Chicago
------------------
My favorite non-pyramidal question:
"These real or imaginary people had unusual features with respect to what part of their bodies?
Erik in 'The Phantom of the Opera'; Severus Snape in the Harry Potter books; Socrates; Tycho Brahe; The Duke of Wellington; Cyrano de Bergerac"
Answer: nose(s)
-Washington Knowledge Bowl, State Tournament 2009 (But where, oh where, is Major Kovalev?)