Scheduling intra-school matches

Dormant threads from the high school sections are preserved here.
bsmith
Tidus

Scheduling intra-school matches

Post by bsmith »

In several statistical reports this year, I've noticed that TDs are doing the right thing and splitting A, B, and C teams into separate prelim brackets where possible. Diversity in competition is good!

That being said, some bracket situations force the TD to set up matches with teams from the same school (I had a bracket of six where four were from Lisgar...). In those cases, I noticed the intra-school matches were being held late in the round-robin: in one case, an intra-school match was held in the last round where a playoff spot was on the line for one team but not the other.

Intra-school prelim matches should be held in the first round. If there are 3 school teams in a bracket, get those matches over with in the first three rounds. I can think of good reasons why intra-school matches should be held in the first round, and I can't think of a reason why they shouldn't. Why?

1. An intra-school match is more forgiving for getting through first-round hiccups like a reader figuring out a strange buzzer system or a outside scorekeeper learning the ropes for the first time.

2. If the school is relatively new to quizbowl, a good moderator can read the match and cover the basics for two teams at once.

3. If a school or coach has a low moral code, there is no way they can know in the first round if one team should throw a match for the other. I'm not saying that this happens, and I don't wish to accuse any teams of match-fixing, but there's no reason why a TD should invite the possibility with a last-round intra-school match.

In summary, get intra-school prelim matches finished as early as possible in a tournament. Playoffs are different: if an A and B team meet in a top bracket, they're both good and not worried about the reasons I mentioned earlier.

If you can give a good reason why the same school should not meet in the first round, please, speak up and I will adjust my future tournaments accordingly.

ps: before people go pot & kettle at me, scheduling 4 school teams in a 6-team RR without a last-round intra-school match is impossible. I did the best I could with the circumstances.
Ben Smith
Ottawa '08 & '10
Sen. Estes Kefauver (D-TN)
Chairman of Anti-Music Mafia Committee

Re: Scheduling intra-school matches

Post by Sen. Estes Kefauver (D-TN) »

Who cares?
Charlie Dees, North Kansas City HS '08
"I won't say more because I know some of you parse everything I say." - Jeremy Gibbs

"At one TJ tournament the neg prize was the Hampshire College ultimate frisbee team (nude) calender featuring one Evan Silberman. In retrospect that could have been a disaster." - Harry White
bsmith
Tidus

Post by bsmith »

Jeremy Gibbs Free Energy wrote:Who cares?
The schedule suggestion is extremely easy to implement and there are no obvious downsides. I don't understand your opposition to it.
Ben Smith
Ottawa '08 & '10

I don't think the upsides really matter either. Teams are teams, teams play games, it doesn't matter when. I agree you should keep B teams and A teams from a school separated in the prelims, but if your schedule is a full round robin, such as 4 Lisgar teams plus two others, the games all matter equally and I can't imagine any real situation where a game plays any differently between intra-school matches and inter-school matches. Also, in the example you gave of 4 Lisgar teams, there is simply no choice but to play some of those games later, unless you want the 2 other teams to have consecutive byes for 2 rounds, which is an extremely unsatisfying setup in my opinion. Thus, your advice seems to not be applicable in the very example you brought up. In your 3 teams example, again, you have to run that over the course of three rounds. I can't imagine what is so different about Toronto A and C meeting in round 3 instead of meeting in round five. If teams really are playing these games differently and it's affecting the outcomes of tournaments, then teams are being stupid, and I simply can't believe that's the case.
"I won't say more because I know some of you parse everything I say." - Jeremy Gibbs

"At one TJ tournament the neg prize was the Hampshire College ultimate frisbee team (nude) calender featuring one Evan Silberman. In retrospect that could have been a disaster." - Harry White
Auks Ran Ova
Forums Staff: Chief Administrator

Post by Auks Ran Ova »

bsmith wrote:
Jeremy Gibbs Free Energy wrote:Who cares?
The schedule suggestion is extremely easy to implement and there are no obvious downsides. I don't understand your opposition to it.
I think what your friend and mine, Charlie Dees, meant to say was "Huh. Has this ever been an issue, or something that teams have had problems with, before? In my experience it has not!"

EDIT: I have been proven correct.
Rob Carson
University of Minnesota '11, MCTC '??, BHSU forever
Member, ACF
Member emeritus, PACE
Writer and Editor, NAQT
jdeliverer
Rikku

Post by jdeliverer »

1. Schools that have B teams are usually not as new to quizbowl (there are exceptions of course)
2. I can't imagine teams throwing games to their B teams, so they would know to throw it to the A team anyway
3. If the B team has a legitimate chance of beating your A team, there's probably something very wrong with the way you've set up your teams
Robert Volgman
Brown '14
Latin School of Chicago '10
Charbroil
Auron

Post by Charbroil »

jdeliverer wrote: 3. If the B team has a legitimate chance of beating your A team, there's probably something very wrong with the way you've set up your teams
It's only in Illinois that you're obligated to put your best players on A team--there are plenty of teams that I know of, both collegiate and high school, that play evenly matched A/B teams.
Charles Hang
Francis Howell Central '09
St. Charles Community College '14
Washington University in St. Louis '19, 2x (President, 2017-19)

Owner, Olympia Academic Competition Questions, LLC
Question Writer, National Academic Quiz Tournaments, LLC and National History Bee and Bowl

None of those things are particularly good advice - your B team should not be throwing games, they should simply be playing to the best of their ability and letting whatever happens happens. B teams beat A teams frequently - in 2007 at Nationals TJ B beat TJ A - and it's completely a good thing that they played the game and let what happens happen. I also disagree with your assessment of how a B team being good means they haven't built their teams right. There is such thing as a school having 7 or 8 players who are all very good and who make competitive combinations. Schools like Dorman, TJ, and State College very often have competitive B teams, and it's not their fault if they have more than a team's worth of good players and have to split them into two teams that are both extremely strong. Look at the facts a little closer.
Also Charles, that's not even the case - the teams I listed above literally have had examples of situations where they play their best four on one team and second four on another team and they both are so strong they can potentially win any game depending on what packet gets read.

the return of AHAN
Auron

Post by the return of AHAN »

FWIW, Northwestern University's First (and apparently only) Jr. Wildcat resulted in Barrington Station B defeating Barrington Station A. I'm quite happy that the 4 pools used saw 3 Station teams in separate pools.
Jeff Price
Barrington High School Coach (2021 & 2023 HSNCT Champions, 2023 PACE Champions, 2023 Illinois Masonic Bowl Class 3A State Champions)
Barrington Station Middle School Coach (2013 MSNCT Champions, 2013 & 2017 Illinois Class AA State Champions)
------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Angry Babies in Love
Yuna

Post by Angry Babies in Love »

jdeliverer wrote: 3. If the B team has a legitimate chance of beating your A team, there's probably something very wrong with the way you've set up your teams
This is not true. There were multiple occasions (at least three) in my two and a half years at RM which RM B has defeated or came within a very small margin of defeating RM A. These teams were based on how well the players play. Some players have good days, some players have bad days, and when a school has more than 4 or 5 excellent players (like RM did two years ago, and like many programs do now) these games can be very close.
It really doesn't matter what time B plays A, a game is a game.
Raynell Cooper
Arcadia ES '04
Richard Montgomery HS '11
George Washington University '15
University of Maryland, College Park '17
Hella things, National History Bee and Bowl
Papa's in the House
Tidus

Post by Papa's in the House »

If you're already forced into a situation where there are intraschool matches, then it shouldn't really matter when they play one another since everyone playing should be doing so with the intention to win. If they aren't playing with that intention, then they'd probably lose whether the match was earlier in the day or not, thus making the point of when the match is held moot.
Charles Martin Jr.
University of Illinois Urbana-Champaign
Academic Buzzer Team | President
B.S. in Accountancy, August 2011
B.S. in Finance, August 2011
MAS Program, Class of 2012
jonpin
Auron

Post by jonpin »

Most people have said about what I would say: Obviously keep teams from the same school apart as much as possible. Within the same group, it really shouldn't matter, but I prefer aesthetically to get them over with in the first half of the schedule than later. It just avoids any unfounded comments that "Massive School A knew they needed a win and lots of points in their last game, and of course they blew out Massive School C."
Jon Pinyan
Coach, Bergen County Academies (NJ); former player for BCA (2000-03) and WUSTL (2003-07)
HSQB forum mod, PACE member
Stat director for: NSC '13-'15, '17; ACF '14, '17, '19; NHBB '13-'15; NASAT '11

"A [...] wizard who controls the weather" - Jerry Vinokurov