Quiz Bowl Tournament Posting System

Dormant threads from the high school sections are preserved here.
Daegan
Lulu

Quiz Bowl Tournament Posting System

Post by Daegan »

Hey all,

This is a cross post from the collegiate discussion thread.

I've been developing a web application over the last few months that will handle several tasks of current quiz bowl applications, as well as take some to the next level.

A brief overview of the website and what it does is as follows:
  • Allows for team/organization creation and posting of tournaments
  • Tournaments that are posted will appear on the Google Map page
  • Tournaments will also appear on the master calendar
  • Tournaments posted will automatically be tweeted over at Twitter
  • Tournaments posted will appear on the front page of the website, and will enjoy an easy link.
  • Any tournament posted on the website will have the option to use the stat manager feature, which is talked about in detail below.
There is a stat implementation module being developed. It's about 90% finished. It'll provide an easy-to-use stat manager that will be able to provide individual round data (SQBS only provides match data, nothing lower). This will be of interest to people that wish to directly compare players that play the same tournament question sets in different fields. It'll also be of interest to people that wish to see how questions they have written fared.

Tournament Directors (denoted by the user that created the tournament) may add moderators to a tournament, who can manage the stats.

The stat system will provide a scorecard for every match that will pull the data live. If anyone would want to see tournament stats and placements that's absolutely always current, this would be an ideal system for them to use. Due to the nature of it being a web application, to use the stats system you'd need an internet connection. This obviously isn't ideal for 100% of the tournaments, but it should cover a nice spread.

This system was basically developed for players and coaches to have an easy way to find information about a tournament. Don't know where it's at? No problem. It's on the site, and you can even search for the tournament by name! It even links you directly to Google Map's "find directions" form.

QBTPS is a free system, and will always be free. Data stored is well protected, and all passwords are encrypted. Tournaments may be edited/deleted at any time by the tournament owner.

All of that being said, the majority of the features of this website cater to the needs of college players and directors. I'm taking suggestions on ways to improve this system from anyone that would like to provide them. I'm trying to bring this system to the widest crowd possible, so if I can make high school tournament director's lives easier, I'd love to.
Ray Lehnhoff
Missouri State University '12
Cody
2008-09 Male Athlete of the Year

Re: Quiz Bowl Tournament Posting System

Post by Cody »

On the home page, in my opinion, it would look better if the tournaments were ordered by date, i.e.:

Also, something to consider is underlining and changing the color of "here" to a link in the boxed region (yes, I know you can click anywhere, but this gives people a point of reference and makes it more user-friendly... not everyone will understand it otherwise)
Cody Voight, VCU ’14.
Daegan
Lulu

Re: Quiz Bowl Tournament Posting System

Post by Daegan »

I changed the order, I didn't realize that it wasn't doing that :)

I made a change last night that must have removed the "Pointer" cursor. I'll fix it today. I had to present this project for a class so everythings been a little hectic lately.

Thanks for the submission!
Ray Lehnhoff
Missouri State University '12