Poetry Canon

Dormant threads from the high school sections are preserved here.
Monk
Lulu

Poetry Canon

Post by Monk »

This is my first post here, but some of you probably know me.

I'm trying to cover most of Literature for my team, and I've set out to read (or at least read excerpts from) the poetry cannon. The only problem is that I don't have a very good list of what it is, which is the whole reason I'm setting about this task.
J. L. Monk
CCHS Captain '09-'10
Kouign Amann
Forums Staff: Moderator

Re: Poetry Canon

Post by Kouign Amann »

I recommend starting out with poets you like, and then moving to those they influenced or their influences, and just kinda creating a nice web like that. Also, picking up a poetry anthology could be good.
Aidan Mehigan
St. Anselm's Abbey School '12
Columbia University '16 | University of Oxford '17 | UPenn GSE '19
Auroni
Auron

Post by Auroni »

The very basic canon:

English:
Renaissance-era poets (most notably Shakespeare; also Marlowe, Sidney, etc.)
Metaphysical, Cavalier poets (Donne, Lovelace, Herrick, Marvell, Milton, Jonson etc.)
Enlightenment-era (Swift, Johnson, Pope, Cibber, Dryden, etc.)
Romantic poets (Wordsworth, Keats, Blake, Byron, Shelley, Coleridge, Burns (sometimes))
Victorian poets (Matthew Arnold, the Brownings, Tennyson, C. Rosetti)
Turn of the century (Eliot, Auden, Yeats, etc.)
Modern (Hughes, Larkin, etc.)

These are just off the top of my head, so there are quite a few that I'm missing. But these are the major poets of British canon. To get a base, you have to be familiar with their most famous works. If you're set on reading poetry, this would be the place to start. Someone can compose a similar list for American, European, and World poetry.
Last edited by Auroni on Wed Oct 14, 2009 8:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Auroni Gupta (she/her)
azngod1992
Wakka

Post by azngod1992 »

Although not strictly poetry, the Stanford culture guide index provides a great starting place for literature canon (and other categories as well): http://ai.stanford.edu/~csewell/culture/
Alvin Shi
Alabama School of Fine Arts 2005-2009
Duke 2009-13
MIT 2015-???
at your pleasure
Auron

Post by at your pleasure »

Monk wrote: poetry cannon.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Great ... Nelson.JPG
Now that that's out of the way, you should pick up a copy of the Norton Anthology of English Poetry. There's a lot of stuff that won't come up, but also a lot of stuff that will. Also, yeah, just read poets you come across and like.
Douglas Graebner, Walt Whitman HS 10, Uchicago 14
"... imagination acts upon man as really as does gravitation, and may kill him as certainly as a dose of prussic acid."-Sir James Frazer,The Golden Bough

http://avorticistking.wordpress.com/
Sen. Estes Kefauver (D-TN)
Chairman of Anti-Music Mafia Committee

Post by Sen. Estes Kefauver (D-TN) »

That is such an old joke.
Charlie Dees, North Kansas City HS '08
"I won't say more because I know some of you parse everything I say." - Jeremy Gibbs

"At one TJ tournament the neg prize was the Hampshire College ultimate frisbee team (nude) calender featuring one Evan Silberman. In retrospect that could have been a disaster." - Harry White