Please help a newbie.

Dormant threads from the high school sections are preserved here.
brenlee
Lulu

Please help a newbie.

Post by brenlee »

Hi,

I am coaching a couple of quiz bowl teams at a middle school in Charlottesville, Virginia. What do I need to know? What are some competitions we can train for? What are the rules for Quiz Bowl in Virginia? What materials and systems should I get? I participated in brain bowl when I was in high school and joined Quiz Bowl at the University of Florida. I'm new at coaching and need guidance.

Thank you!
Brenda
Sutherland Middle School
Matt Weiner
Sin

Re: Please help a newbie.

Post by Matt Weiner »

Welcome to the boards. I've been involved in quizbowl from Richmond for some time now, and as far as I know, there is no organized middle school competition in our area of Virginia. One middle school (Longfellow, from northern VA) has attended a high school novice tournament in Richmond. While the alleged "Junior National Academic Championship" is run in Arlington, this is an extremely shady venture run by ethically challenged people and asks most of its questions about Harry Potter and similar nonsense; the word "academic" is sorely misused in its name, and I would urge any team to steer clear of it.

There is no standard set of rules for Virginia high school play; VHSL has a format, the straight tossup-bonus format is used at most Saturday invitationals, the TV shows all use their own formats, etc. Your best bet is to ask individual tournaments for their rules. Due to the lack of any real middle school tournaments, there is no format for that either.

Can you tell us who you've been in contact with so far? Whose idea was it to start a team, and are there any competitions asking you to participate? If there are some more middle schools across Virginia who are ready to form teams, I would be interested in helping out with the organization and question-procuring for a true middle school tournament in the greater Richmond area. Until then, you may be limited to participating in tournaments aimed at 9th and 10th grade players, if your students enjoy a challenge.
Matt Weiner
Advisor to Quizbowl at Virginia Commonwealth University / Founder of hsquizbowl.org
Kouign Amann
Forums Staff: Moderator

Post by Kouign Amann »

Matt Weiner wrote:Until then, you may be limited to participating in tournaments aimed at 9th and 10th grade players, if your students enjoy a challenge.
If you feel you can mobilize quickly enough, the Fall Novice Tournament could be a great experience for your team. It is a low-level high school tournament being held very close to you on October 10th, this Saturday.
Aidan Mehigan
St. Anselm's Abbey School '12
Columbia University '16 | University of Oxford '17 | UPenn GSE '19
brenlee
Lulu

Post by brenlee »

Thank you for your reply! I have contacted Matt Clay at Albemarle High, and I am awaiting his reply. I made the pitch to my administrators to start the club. I would be interested in joining a middle school organization.

We start practices this Friday, so, needless to say, we won't be ready for competition this Saturday.

Thank you again.
Brenda
Sutherland Middle School
The Goffman Prophecies
Quizbowl Detective Extraordinaire

Post by The Goffman Prophecies »

Brenda, welcome to the forums. The greater Richmond area has a lot of dedicated people with quite a bit of combined experience. Count me interested in helping to set up a middle school tournament as well.

You might also want to talk to Patricia Vandever; I believe she is still the coach at Charlottesville HS. Their program has done well for several years now, and I'll bet she has information that she may be willing to share as well.
Dan Goff
HSQB sysadmin

Virginia Tech '13
South Carolina '15
and a couple other places
Not Thomas Dale HS

STAAATS
brenlee
Lulu

Post by brenlee »

Thanks. I contacted Patricia at Charlottesville High. Any ideas for which question packets would be suitable for 6th to 8th graders?
Brenda
Sutherland Middle School
Down and out in Quintana Roo
Auron

Post by Down and out in Quintana Roo »

Some of the only middle school sets i've ever seen are online here, made by Bill Tressler and Wilmington Charter School of Delaware for their annual Charter Challenge tournament: http://www.charterschool.org/clubs/acad ... stions.php
Mr. Andrew Chrzanowski
Caesar Rodney High School
Camden, Delaware
CRHS '97-'01
University of Delaware '01-'05
CRHS quizbowl coach '06-'12
http://crquizbowl.edublogs.org
Kouign Amann
Forums Staff: Moderator

Post by Kouign Amann »

HACOV I and HAVOC II are pretty solid. That's what I read to my middle schoolers.
Aidan Mehigan
St. Anselm's Abbey School '12
Columbia University '16 | University of Oxford '17 | UPenn GSE '19
the return of AHAN
Auron

Post by the return of AHAN »

Prof.Whoopie wrote:HACOV I and HAVOC II are pretty solid. That's what I read to my middle schoolers.
And if/when they're frustrated by things that aren't part of the middle school curriculum, read Junior Wildcat 2009 to them.
Jeff Price
Barrington High School Coach (2021 & 2023 HSNCT Champions, 2023 PACE Champions, 2023 Illinois Masonic Bowl Class 3A State Champions)
Barrington Station Middle School Coach (2013 MSNCT Champions, 2013 & 2017 Illinois Class AA State Champions)
------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Stephen Colbert
Wakka

Post by Stephen Colbert »

Max Moon wrote:And if/when they're frustrated by things that aren't part of the middle school curriculum, read Junior Wildcat 2009 to them.
Our of curiosity, is this set posted online somewhere?
Nathan Hollinsaid
Coach, St. Anthony Streator (2004-2007)
IHSSBCA Performance & Test-Certified Moderator
the return of AHAN
Auron

Stephen Colbert wrote:
Max Moon wrote:And if/when they're frustrated by things that aren't part of the middle school curriculum, read Junior Wildcat 2009 to them.
Professor Wehrman has given his blessing to me sharing it with coaches. I probably should ask him to upload it to Christian Carter, or for him to give his blessing to me to upload it.
Jeff Price
Barrington High School Coach (2021 & 2023 HSNCT Champions, 2023 PACE Champions, 2023 Illinois Masonic Bowl Class 3A State Champions)
Barrington Station Middle School Coach (2013 MSNCT Champions, 2013 & 2017 Illinois Class AA State Champions)
Whiter Hydra
Auron

Post by Whiter Hydra »

Max Moon wrote:
Stephen Colbert wrote:
Professor Wehrman has given his blessing to me sharing it with coaches. I probably should ask him to upload it to Christian Carter, or for him to give his blessing to me to upload it.
Just as an FYI, George Berry is now the person you'd want him to get in touch with.
Harry White
TJHSST '09, Virginia Tech '13

Owner of Tournament Database Search and Quizbowl Schedule Generator
Will run stats for food
brenlee
Lulu

Post by brenlee »

Matt Weiner wrote:One middle school (Longfellow, from northern VA) has attended a high school novice tournament in Richmond.
When is this tournament?

Thanks.
Brenda
Sutherland Middle School
Matt Weiner
Sin

Post by Matt Weiner »

brenlee wrote:
Matt Weiner wrote:One middle school (Longfellow, from northern VA) has attended a high school novice tournament in Richmond.
When is this tournament?

Thanks.
This was the HAVOC tournament at Maggie Walker, which they ran for the past two years. I believe that this year they are running the aforementioned Fall Novice instead.
Matt Weiner
Advisor to Quizbowl at Virginia Commonwealth University / Founder of hsquizbowl.org
Blackboard Monitor Vimes
Auron

Post by Blackboard Monitor Vimes »

Matt Weiner wrote:
brenlee wrote:
When is this tournament?

Thanks.
This was the HAVOC tournament at Maggie Walker, which they ran for the past two years. I believe that this year they are running the aforementioned Fall Novice instead.
Confirm. We're all too busy to produce another HAVOC this year, unfortunately. Longfellow is attending Whitman's mirror of the Fall Novice Tournament, which is a little later in the season than ours (10/24). I'm not sure how far Whitman is from Charlottesville because I don't understand this whole geography thing, but I figured I'd point it out.
Sam L,
Maggie L. Walker Governor's School 2010 / UVA 2014 / VCU School of Education 2016
PACE
at your pleasure
Auron

Post by at your pleasure »

It's something like two and a half hours, although I imagine that depends on where in Charlottesville you leave from.
Douglas Graebner, Walt Whitman HS 10, Uchicago 14
"... imagination acts upon man as really as does gravitation, and may kill him as certainly as a dose of prussic acid."-Sir James Frazer,The Golden Bough

http://avorticistking.wordpress.com/
brenlee
Lulu

Competitions

Post by brenlee »

Hi. If anyone sees this, are there any updates about upcoming tournaments that my middle schoolers may attend? So far, I've found The Knowledge Master Open and the Thinking Cap Quiz Bowl. If anybody has any experience with the aforementioned competitions, please share. Thanks!
Brenda
Sutherland Middle School
Matt Weiner
Sin

Re: Competitions

Post by Matt Weiner »

brenlee wrote:Hi. If anyone sees this, are there any updates about upcoming tournaments that my middle schoolers may attend? So far, I've found The Knowledge Master Open and the Thinking Cap Quiz Bowl. If anybody has any experience with the aforementioned competitions, please share. Thanks!
Those two you mentioned aren't really quizbowl tournaments; they are more like competitive, computer-based tests. You do them at your own school and don't directly face an opponent. They might be a fun/useful activity for your team to do in addition to quizbowl tournaments, but they are a different sort of thing.
Matt Weiner
the return of AHAN
Auron

Re: Competitions

Matt Weiner wrote:
brenlee wrote:Hi. If anyone sees this, are there any updates about upcoming tournaments that my middle schoolers may attend? So far, I've found The Knowledge Master Open and the Thinking Cap Quiz Bowl. If anybody has any experience with the aforementioned competitions, please share. Thanks!
Those two you mentioned aren't really quizbowl tournaments; they are more like competitive, computer-based tests. You do them at your own school and don't directly face an opponent. They might be a fun/useful activity for your team to do in addition to quizbowl tournaments, but they are a different sort of thing.
What Matt said. If you're willing to travel to the Chicago area, I'd be happy to extend an invite to the Barrington Invitational Tournament on March 13th, 2010. Out east, though, I don't know what kind of circuit exists for middle school-only tournaments.
Jeff Price
STPickrell
Auron

Post by STPickrell »

There's something called the Southside Middle School Conference, with these member institutions. But this, too, is unlike quizbowl as we know it -- students are given 1,200 questions and answers at the start of the year, and are then asked questions from this bank.

Unfortunately, it seems the closest to you is Powhatan. I am in touch with some of the HS coaches I know at these schools' feeders, so if you e-mail me, I can tell you what I find out.

* Powhatan Junior High School
* Halifax Middle School
* Amelia Middle School
* Greensville County (Wyatt M.S.)
* Nottoway Middle School
* Brunswick County (Russell M.S.)
* Central (Charlotte County) M.S.(feeder to Randolph-Henry)
* Bluestone Middle School
* Lunenburg Middle School (feeder to Central-Lunenburg, often known as 'Central' in those parts)
* Parkview Middle School

Also, I am aware of the occasional grade 6-9 tournament in West Virginia.
Shawn Pickrell, HSAPQ CFO
AKKOLADE
Sin

Post by AKKOLADE »

There are middle school tournaments in WV; I just can't say I've heard of any this year yet.
Fred Morlan
University of Kentucky CoP, 2017
International Quiz Bowl Tournaments, CEO, co-owner
former PACE member, president, etc.
former hsqbrank manager, former NAQT writer & subject editor, former hsqb Administrator/Chief Administrator