Minnesota '09-'10

Dormant threads from the high school sections are preserved here.
at your pleasure
Auron

Re: Minnesota '09-'10

Post by at your pleasure »

How many teams are in the playoffs?
Douglas Graebner, Walt Whitman HS 10, Uchicago 14
"... imagination acts upon man as really as does gravitation, and may kill him as certainly as a dose of prussic acid."-Sir James Frazer,The Golden Bough

http://avorticistking.wordpress.com/
nafitzgerald
Lulu

Post by nafitzgerald »

I agree with what has been said about the playoff structure: sure, it saves time, but I don't think most of the teams would mind moving playoffs to a Saturday and having a full-length tournament to decide the league winners.

It's also unfortunate that the format on which the league finals are played prominently features speed-checks and lightning rounds. Fortunately, I don't think these elements affected our rounds, but they certainly have the potential to do so: I heard that St. Thomas had a close game against Chaska in semifinals, for instance.

That said, the tossup-bonus portion was better than I expected. The tossups didn't seem to be significantly worse than IS tossups, and in some cases seemed better, but maybe that's just because we were winning more of the buzzer races than usual. The bonuses, however, were too easy; many (or maybe even most) of them basically handed 20 or 30 points to teams of this caliber. As others have said, using IS would fix that.
Dave Breger wrote:How many teams are in the playoffs?
Sixteen, four from each division.
Neil Fitzgerald
Eden Prairie High School '10
MIT '14
at your pleasure
Auron

Post by at your pleasure »

nafitzgerald wrote:I agree with what has been said about the playoff structure: sure, it saves time, but I don't think most of the teams would mind moving playoffs to a Saturday and having a full-length tournament to decide the league winners.
Dave Breger wrote:How many teams are in the playoffs?
Sixteen, four from each division.
Is there any reason not to do a Saturday tournament(assuming conflicts with non-league events are avoided) if only 16 teams are involved?
Douglas Graebner, Walt Whitman HS 10, Uchicago 14
"... imagination acts upon man as really as does gravitation, and may kill him as certainly as a dose of prussic acid."-Sir James Frazer,The Golden Bough

http://avorticistking.wordpress.com/
Cheynem
Sin

Post by Cheynem »

Don't forget that the University of Minnesota is hosting a high school tournament on March 27th.

Also, high school teams who wish to are more than welcome to register for MUT, an easier college tournament that will be run on March 6th.
Mike Cheyne
Formerly U of Minnesota

"You killed HSAPQ"--Matt Bollinger
gaurav.kandlikar
Forums Staff: Moderator

Post by gaurav.kandlikar »

Cheynem wrote:Don't forget that the University of Minnesota is hosting a high school tournament on March 27th.
EP should be registering 1, likely 2 teams for this some time soon. I'm looking forward to playing on the set.
Dave Breger wrote:Is there any reason not to do a Saturday tournament(assuming conflicts with non-league events are avoided) if only 16 teams are involved?
As far as any one of us knows, there is no reason for this not to happen. There are at least 2-3 free Saturdays in February that can be used for playoffs. That said, I think that contacting the MNHSQB Board of Directors about this before they start planning next years' games would be a good idea. There was a rumbling about this last year, but nothing came out of it, and it would be a shame if nothing changed this time, either.

Also, I want to gauge interest for a potential HSAPQ tournament hosted by EP on (hopefully) the 24th of April. We're probably going to go ahead and reserve rooms for that date soon, and it'd be nice to confirm that at least a few teams would actually show up to it.

Gaurav
Gaurav Kandlikar
UCLA
Member of ACF and PACE
The Kid Who Collects Spider-Man
Lulu

Post by The Kid Who Collects Spider-Man »

gaurav.kandlikar wrote:Also, I want to gauge interest for a potential HSAPQ tournament hosted by EP on (hopefully) the 24th of April. We're probably going to go ahead and reserve rooms for that date soon, and it'd be nice to confirm that at least a few teams would actually show up to it.
Cheynem wrote:Don't forget that the University of Minnesota is hosting a high school tournament on March 27th.

Also, high school teams who wish to are more than welcome to register for MUT, an easier college tournament that will be run on March 6th.
Hopefully St. Thomas will be attending all of these. I'll talk to my coach about them tomorrow.

Regarding the playoffs, they really should have been held on a harder set. Even in our first round there were buzzer races on mind-numbingly easy "lead-ins", and as the playoffs progressed this became more and more frequent and more and more frustrating. It looks as though there are a couple of IS sets that go unplayed in Minnesota (92 and 94) so I can't imagine that it would be too difficult to use one of them. Using a harder set would differentiate the teams much better and would make it less imperative to go double elimination or something, which still would be a good idea in any situation.
Alex Gerten
Wisconsin '12
Columbia '16
GeneVan
Lulu

Post by GeneVan »

I know Chan would be interested in attending EP's HSAPQ tourney (assuming our budget allows), but our spring break falls on the U's tournament on the 27th so we won't be going to it.
Austin Wilder

Georgia Tech 2015
Chanhassen High School 2011, Coach 2016-20
klwalton33
Lulu

Post by klwalton33 »

gaurav.kandlikar wrote: As far as any one of us knows, there is no reason for this not to happen. There are at least 2-3 free Saturdays in February that can be used for playoffs. That said, I think that contacting the MNHSQB Board of Directors about this before they start planning next years' games would be a good idea. There was a rumbling about this last year, but nothing came out of it, and it would be a shame if nothing changed this time, either.
Gaurav (and all) -- we (The Board) typically meet 1-2 times during the offseason. I will remember to bring it up this coming year to see if a Saturday meet to determine the Champion (and allow for more matches, not just single elim) is a possibility. The pushback I imagine would be:

1) "This is the way we've always done it" (in other words, the worst pushback in history) and/or
2) "With the filming for television (burnsville.tv) we need to do it on a weeknight so we can get the stuido"

Both of these could be overcome I think. The bigger challenge may be convincing coaches to give up a longer Saturday since they already give up so many during the year.

Congrats to all teams this year in the playoffs. Want to give a HUGE congrats to Chanhassen for making the Sweet 16. I'm guessing they might be the first first-year school to ever make the playoffs -- awesome! (plus gotta put in a plug for my son's future alma mater, right?)
Kirk Walton
Chaska HS player (1993-1995)
Eden Prairie HS Coach (2004-2008)
Proud Pop Culture Nerd (since 1976)
theMoMA
Forums Staff: Administrator

Post by theMoMA »

Minnesota high schoolers: we're hoping to run a somewhat informal mirror of Dallin Kelson's Lit and Fine Arts tournament on campus this Saturday. I don't know if you guys have tournaments to play or standardized tests to take, but if not, you're welcome to join us. Email me at [email protected] to express interest. If we get enough people, we should be able to play this in a couple of rooms and give everyone a good chance to answer tossups.
Andrew Hart
Minnesota alum
klwalton33
Lulu

Post by klwalton33 »

mrichardquinn wrote:I wanted to remind you of Armstrong's pop culture tournament on 2/27/10. The original announcement is above in this forum.
Matt and anyone else reading this:

I totally wish I could come out to join the fun this weekend. Thank you for keeping a pop culture tourney alive in the Twin Cities. EPIC was an extremely fun tourney.

I'd love to help with future incarnations of this (unless I'd be allowed to play, of course). AND - if I could get a copy of this year's questions, I'd love it. My buddies love pop culture trivia so I'd love to share these with them.
Kirk Walton
Cheynem
Sin

Post by Cheynem »

I think folks at the U of Minnesota would also enjoy seeing the questions as well if that's possible.
Mike Cheyne
Formerly U of Minnesota

Coelacanth
Rikku

Post by Coelacanth »

Cheynem wrote:I think folks at the U of Minnesota would also enjoy seeing the questions as well if that's possible.
The best way to do this, clearly, would be to go to Armstrong on Saturday and help to staff the event.

Failing that (what, you're playing in some tournament this weekend?) I'm sure Matt will make them available later. I'm not sure if any mirrors are in the works or what.
Brian Weikle
I say what it occurs to me to say when I think I hear people say things. More, I cannot say.
Cheynem
Sin

Post by Cheynem »

I would enjoy staffing on Saturday but lack a car. If some fine person reading this board could offer me a ride, I'd go.
Mike Cheyne
Formerly U of Minnesota

klwalton33
Lulu

Post by klwalton33 »

I should have prefaced my earlier post -- the reason I would like questions is because I will not be in MN this weekend. Which stinks, I would have loved to have gone to the Armstrong tourney this weekend.
Kirk Walton
mrichardquinn
Lulu

Post by mrichardquinn »

Armstrong’s conceivably regular or nearly yearly meet (ACRONYM) III ran successfully on 2/27/10. Generally from our perspective as the host, it went very well. We would welcome feedback from players and coaches that participated to help us improve the tournament should we decide to run it again.

Results:
Champs- Minnetonka A
2nd place- DeLaSalle B
3rd place- Blake
4th place- Benilde St. Margaret’s B

34 teams from 17 schools participated, 155 players total.

Questions:
I see that several people are interested in the questions. I’d be happy to send them out. In the spirit of the Radiohead album In Rainbows (which was made available at whatever cost the purchaser saw fit to pay) I’ll send out questions to interested parties for a completely optional donation to Armstrong Quiz Bowl (checks made out to Armstrong High School). I won’t be at all offended if you do not make a donation, nor will I accept donations of more than $15. I won’t make them downloadable (I don’t know how) or send them via e-mail (I don’t want to deal with a flooded inbox). Therefore, to obtain the questions, send a large self-addressed stamped envelope to:

Armstrong High School
c/o Matt Quinn
10635 36th ave. N
Plymouth MN 55441

In this way, we can re-use the stack of about twenty sets of packets. When we’re out of paper packets, then we’ll be done sending them out as well. I'll post here when that happens. I hope this plan sounds reasonable, I’m not entirely familiar with the etiquette for something like this. But we’re flattered that others are interested. We hope the questions live up to your expectations, we tried really hard to have a high standard, even if there were some questions I would have changed in retrospect.

Thanks again to all the players, coaches, moderators, writers, editors and everyone that helped with this tournament. We hope it can continue for the future.

-Matt Quinn
-Armstrong Quiz Bowl
Matt Quinn
Armstrong Quiz Bowl Coach 2000-2016
Cheynem
Sin

Post by Cheynem »

To make the questions downloadable, just send an electronic copy to Mike Bentley's Wastebin at cultquizbowl AT gmail DOT com. People can still use your address if they wish to send a donation.
Mike Cheyne
Formerly U of Minnesota

DLSqb10
Lulu

Post by DLSqb10 »

Just wondering, would we be able to see stats for ACRONYM III?
Losha Ndemeno-Tegomoh, DeLaSalle High School '10
University of St. Thomas '14
Lulu

Eden Prairie people: I am fairly certain that we'd be able to go to your tournament if you end up holding it.
Alex Gerten
Wisconsin '12
Columbia '16
klwalton33
Lulu

Post by klwalton33 »

Matt Q:

I am still interested in ACRONYM packets, if there are still some available. SASE will be in the mail tomorrow (hopefully!)
Kirk Walton
mrichardquinn
Lulu

Post by mrichardquinn »

Hey everyone- sorry for the delayed reply, I don't check in here regularly.
Kirk- still haven't seen a SASE, if you want to just e-mail me your address I can send them to you.
Losha- I put a print out of the teams/individual stats sheets with the questions I gave to your coach. If you need them again, drop me an e-mail.
Mike- I still haven't made a complete electronic file, when I do I'll send it there.
My e-mail is matt_quinn at rdale.org
Thanks again!
-Matt Quinn
Matt Quinn
Armstrong Quiz Bowl Coach 2000-2016
Cheynem
Sin

Post by Cheynem »

Mr. Quinn: No need, the paper copy you gave Andrew Hart is fine. Thanks.
Mike Cheyne
Formerly U of Minnesota

DLSqb10
Lulu

Post by DLSqb10 »

Mr. Quinn: We received the team stats, but the individual stats were missing. Were they supposed to be there or were we just supposed to have team stats?
DLSqb10
Lulu

Post by DLSqb10 »

Just wanted to know which teams were coming to DeLaSalle's tournament on the 17th.
future
Lulu

Post by future »

Central's sending a team. Really looking forward to it... I've had a two-month hiatus from tourneys....
Martin Camacho
St Paul Central '10
Harvard '14
GeneVan
Lulu

Post by GeneVan »

Chanhassen will be sending a team as well. I'm pretty excited, I don't think I've played in over a month either.
Austin Wilder

Georgia Tech 2015
DLSqb10
Lulu

Post by DLSqb10 »

Just for anyone wondering the NAQT Minnesota State Championship was today the results are as follows:
1. Eden Prairie A
2. Central
3. DeLaSalle A
4. Eden Prairie B

Top individual was Alex G. of St. Thomas Academy
mtimmons
Wakka

Post by mtimmons »

While I think the state tournament accurately determined the best teams yesterday, I wish the format had been double round robin instead instead of single elimination. It seems like Chaska and STA are probably better than Eden Prairie B, which managed to get fourth without beating a single top tier team. The tournament was well run though and there were no delays, which was good.
Max Timmons
St. Paul Central High School 2012
MIT 2016
klwalton33
Lulu

Post by klwalton33 »

Just curious -- and I know most people on this board aren't all that fired up about the activity, but who won the Knowledge Bowl State?
Kirk Walton
sam.peterson
Lulu

Post by sam.peterson »

mtimmons wrote:While I think the state tournament accurately determined the best teams yesterday, I wish the format had been double round robin instead instead of single elimination. It seems like Chaska and STA are probably better than Eden Prairie B, which managed to get fourth without beating a single top tier team. The tournament was well run though and there were no delays, which was good.
I'm confused -- you think the tournament determined the best teams, but you think Chaska and STA are better than a team that finished higher than they did?
klwalton33 wrote:Just curious -- and I know most people on this board aren't all that fired up about the activity, but who won the Knowledge Bowl State?
1. St. Anthony
2. Little Falls
3. St. Thomas
4. Holy Family
5. Chaska
6. Prior Lake
Sam Peterson
Harvard College '13
Chaska High School '09
gaurav.kandlikar
Forums Staff: Moderator

Post by gaurav.kandlikar »

Yeah, this was a pretty good tournament logistically, but the schedules for prelims played out weirdly. From what I understand, St. Thomas, Chaska, Chanhassen, and De La Salle all lost games to each other at some point during the day, and eventually, our side of the bracket ended having EP A, Chan, EP B, and a few other teams, while the other bracket got SPC, STA, DLS, Chaska, and others. Obviously, having bracketed round robins would have been better, but I think the prelims losses teams had to each other primarily led to the somewhat unexpected results.

Also, it looks like Southwest played us, STA, Chaska, and SPC in the prelims, which is a pretty unfair schedule... TDs should make sure teams don't end up with schedules like that.

Hope to see people around at the Carleton tourney and at nationals.

Gaurav
Gaurav Kandlikar
UCLA
Member of ACF and PACE
Lulu

gaurav.kandlikar wrote:Hope to see people around at the Carleton tourney...
When is this happening?
Alex Gerten
Wisconsin '12
Columbia '16
nafitzgerald
Lulu

Post by nafitzgerald »

I'll just weigh in belatedly on a couple aspects of Saturday's tournament.

Going into the tournament, the four teams I thought we had the greatest change of losing to were STA, SPC, DLS, and Chaska. Of these four, we only played SPC (albeit twice), in part since all four of them ended up on the other side of the playoff bracket from us. If the tournament had been bracketed double round robin, we would have had to play STA and Chaska as well (since I believe these were the second and third seeds), and potentially some other good teams like Chanhassen depending on the size of the rebrackets. Then again, the wonky prelim matching/results mentioned above may have had more to do with this than the inherent flaws of single-elim playoffs (though DRR still would have been better).

The questions, by the way, seemed pretty decent, with the exception of a couple of comically bad tossups, a couple of bonuses that seemed a bit too difficult, and one round that contained a remarkable amount of a certain subcategory. I don't think I have any major non-question-specific complaints about this set (other than broader things I don't like about the NAQT distribution).
Neil Fitzgerald
Eden Prairie High School '10
MIT '14
Important Bird Area
Forums Staff: Administrator

Post by Important Bird Area »

nafitzgerald wrote:The questions, by the way, seemed pretty decent, with the exception of a couple of comically bad tossups, a couple of bonuses that seemed a bit too difficult, and one round that contained a remarkable amount of a certain subcategory.
Please email me with the details and I'll fix as much as I can.
Jeff Hoppes
President, Northern California Quiz Bowl Alliance
former HSQB Chief Admin (2012-13)
VP for Communication and history subject editor, NAQT
Editor emeritus, ACF

"I wish to make some kind of joke about Jeff's love of birds, but I always fear he'll turn them on me Hitchcock-style." -Fred
Terrible Shorts Depot
Yuna

Post by Terrible Shorts Depot »

der_ubermensch wrote:
gaurav.kandlikar wrote:Hope to see people around at the Carleton tourney...
When is this happening?
I had thought that I posted to let you all know that we wouldn't be hosting anything, but, clearly, I didn't. Sorry about this.

Additionally, if any of you happen to be visiting Carleton for Accepted Students Weekend, you really should come to practice on Thursday night. Email me.
Charlie Rosenthal
Shady Side Academy '09
Carleton College '13
University of Pennsylvania '18
GeneVan
Lulu

Post by GeneVan »

Are there going to be any more meets before Nationals?
Austin Wilder

Georgia Tech 2015
Cheynem
Sin

Post by Cheynem »

All Minnesota high schoolers are invited to appear at the University of Minnesota's practices, which are on campus (usually) at Room 323 in Coffman Student Union, Monday and Wednesday nights, 6-9. Since we're done with our season, we can be a little flexible in what we choose to read, especially if those interested in coming expressed interest beforehand, even running some informal matches if there is enough interest.
Mike Cheyne
Formerly U of Minnesota

future
Lulu

Post by future »

nafitzgerald wrote:Going into the tournament, the four teams I thought we had the greatest change of losing to were STA, SPC, DLS, and Chaska. Of these four, we only played SPC (albeit twice), in part since all four of them ended up on the other side of the playoff bracket from us. If the tournament had been bracketed double round robin, we would have had to play STA and Chaska as well (since I believe these were the second and third seeds), and potentially some other good teams like Chanhassen depending on the size of the rebrackets. Then again, the wonky prelim matching/results mentioned above may have had more to do with this than the inherent flaws of single-elim playoffs (though DRR still would have been better).
So for one, I was worried (and rightfully so, as it turned out, since we lost :P) when we had to play EPA/Chaska in the prelims. However, we ended up facing STA and DLS (and finally EPA) in the playoffs.
My only explanation for this variation might be the small number of teams in attendance - maybe a double round robin would have fixed this, as Max said, but staffing wasn't adequate.
Overall, a great tournament, with great questions. I really appreciated the gradual replacement of some of the math computation with theory, and was happy to see more physics questions than usual. (?)

I'd be up to start showing up to the Wednesday practices.
Martin Camacho
St Paul Central '10
Harvard '14
Cheynem
Sin

Post by Cheynem »

Might want to try doing it soon, since the term is sending next week. (info about summer practices pending)
Mike Cheyne
Formerly U of Minnesota

OctagonJoe
Tidus

Post by OctagonJoe »

For the quizbowl diehards, Carleton is in session like normal high schools into June, so if you are driving south on I-35 and your car breaks down around here on a Monday or Thursday night between 6:30-8:30ish we will have some sort of practice going on. Or if you're planning on going to Carleton or thinking about applying in the future and want to see our set up, our practices are open to all comers.
Carsten Gehring
Wayzata HS '08 | Carleton College '12 | Denver Publishing Institute '12
DLSqb10
Lulu

Post by DLSqb10 »

First day of HSNCT should be over.
We (DeLaSalle) went 7-3, with a round 15 victory over Chaska, who most likely went 6-4.
Going into round 15 Saint Thomas was 6-3, I have no update on that. Apparently they played Central at some point in the day and lost. I heard (unconfirmed) that Central went 6-4 through the first day. No word on the other Minnesota teams.