Southern California '09-'10

Dormant threads from the high school sections are preserved here.
fudGez
Kimahri

Re: Southern California '09-'10

Post by fudGez »

It was mainly due to a string of 5 negs in the last 7 questions that changed our 185-165 lead to a 85 pt loss.
Stanley Yuan
Arcadia High School '10
Princeton University '14
Joe Romersa
Rikku

Post by Joe Romersa »

(This is in no way meant to insult anyone)
Why do teams take so long to post up statistics? When I did ACE stats, I had them up by the end of the day. Am I missing a part of the process or something?
Alex Wang
Arcadia High '10
UCLA '14 or so
dtaylor4
Auron

Post by dtaylor4 »

Irwin R Schyster wrote:(This is in no way meant to insult anyone)
Why do teams take so long to post up statistics? When I did ACE stats, I had them up by the end of the day. Am I missing a part of the process or something?
In some cases (such as with our mirror of EFT), not all of the scoresheets are procured before the end of the tournament. This was overlooked due to the need to use a paper tiebreaker to determine who played in the final.
warpoet
Wakka

Post by warpoet »

computational math bonuses = :w-hat: TF?
Max Stivers
Santa Monica High '10
NYU '14
rylltraka
Tidus

Post by rylltraka »

Also, Alex, the stats person may not have web space of their own. Additionally, college students, especially grad students, are busy, and stats are pretty meaningless anyway, so there's no rush.
Mik Larsen
USC '08, UCLA '14
Sen. Estes Kefauver (D-TN)
Chairman of Anti-Music Mafia Committee

Post by Sen. Estes Kefauver (D-TN) »

rylltraka wrote:Also, Alex, the stats person may not have web space of their own. Additionally, college students, especially grad students, are busy, and stats are pretty meaningless anyway, so there's no rush.
That's what scobo.net is all about. Also, ignore the last sentence, there is no excuse to not just upload the stats immediately after a tournament.
Charlie Dees, North Kansas City HS '08
"I won't say more because I know some of you parse everything I say." - Jeremy Gibbs

"At one TJ tournament the neg prize was the Hampshire College ultimate frisbee team (nude) calender featuring one Evan Silberman. In retrospect that could have been a disaster." - Harry White
Golran
Auron

Post by Golran »

But the flu is. I'd say that Christine's health is much more important than the appearance of stats on the internet.
Drayer the Slayer
currently unaffiliated
AKKOLADE
Sin

Post by AKKOLADE »

Dude Love wrote:But the flu is. I'd say that Christine's health is much more important than the appearance of stats on the internet.
Hey Ian, if you can get the stats to me, I'll post them.
Fred Morlan
University of Kentucky CoP, 2017
International Quiz Bowl Tournaments, CEO, co-owner
former PACE member, president, etc.
former hsqbrank manager, former NAQT writer & subject editor, former hsqb Administrator/Chief Administrator
AKKOLADE
Sin

Post by AKKOLADE »

rylltraka wrote:stats are pretty meaningless anyway
Delays in posting stats delays the ability of PACE to certify tournaments for gold or platinum certification. They're also important for allowing people to see how successful a set was at meeting its target difficulty and for comparing teams who may never play each other before nationals.
Fred Morlan
University of Kentucky CoP, 2017
International Quiz Bowl Tournaments, CEO, co-owner
former PACE member, president, etc.
former hsqbrank manager, former NAQT writer & subject editor, former hsqb Administrator/Chief Administrator
Golran
Auron

Post by Golran »

The problem is that I don't have a copy of the stats, only Christine does. I probably should have gotten them from her on Saturday.
Drayer the Slayer
currently unaffiliated
ctarleton
Kimahri

Post by ctarleton »

I apologize for not getting the stats up immediately. I couldn't get scobo to work (and I still haven't figured out why it wouldn't...it wouldn't let me access the admin panel for the account I created) and as I was ridiculously sick with the flu, I didn't exactly have the energy to fight with it and try to figure out what I was doing wrong.

I sincerely apologize.

That said, I wish I had known the extent to which I was being talked about on the boards...
Christine Tarleton
UCLA '14
UGA '09
Golran
Auron

Post by Golran »

Would people be interested in attending a mirror of New Trier Varsity at UCLA on January 9, 16, or 23? Is there anything already scheduled for those days? Are SATs or ACTs on those days? Which day works best? Is this a set people would like to play in this region (no HSNCT qualification from it)?
Drayer the Slayer
currently unaffiliated
gyre and gimble
Yuna

Post by gyre and gimble »

I'd be up for anything mACF, and I could probably convince the team to go, especially since we've already qualified to HSNCT. On the other hand, I think I'd enjoy an HSAPQ set over New Trier Varsity (don't ask me why, I don't know). If Southern California had both I'd probably try to get our team to go to both. And hey, we've got months ahead of us.
Stephen Liu
Torrey Pines '10
Harvard '14
Stanford '17
gyre and gimble
Yuna

So there's been some discussion in another thread about how states like Minnesota and Ohio and wherever are organizing their HSAPQ NASAT teams. Well, I'll go ahead and ask. How is California going to decide who to send? Will we even send a team at all? And who gets to decide?

And if there are some nice answers to those questions, we have an even bigger problem: this is supposed to be a California team, right? Not a Southern California team? So what do people think is a good way to integrate the two halves of the state that rarely if ever will play each other in good quizbowl?

I mean, I know MSJ and some other schools in the Bay Area are considering making a trip down here sometime, but I'm not sure if that's really enough exposure for the two regions to each other, especially if the NorCal teams come down to play a college tournament or an NAQT set or something. Maybe we could have a statewide tournament using an HSAPQ set, or maybe NorCal people can play us on UCSD's pre-nationals warmup. I'm of the opinion that whatever we use as our standard should be of a substantially high difficulty.

Thoughts?
Stephen Liu
Torrey Pines '10
Harvard '14
Stanford '17
Joe Romersa
Rikku

Post by Joe Romersa »

I think they're going to split it into Southern California and Northern California.

Also, unless someone's going to catch a red-eye flight after graduation, don't count on getting anyone from Arcadia to be on the All-Star team.

*edit*
Why don't we use UCLA's team optimization program?
Alex Wang
Arcadia High '10
UCLA '14 or so
gyre and gimble
Yuna

What is that?

And by the way, all you LA people missed out on a lot of fun in San Diego last saturday.
Stephen Liu
Torrey Pines '10
Harvard '14
Stanford '17
Thundercougarfalconbird
Lulu

Post by Thundercougarfalconbird »

Well, the first step, obviously, would be to determine interest in attending NASAT. Presumably, there will be more than enough interest among SoCal players to field a team (assuming that we're split off from NorCal), but it would be helpful to know exactly who might have an interest in being on the team if possible. After that, it seems like the fairest thing would be to determine the top players among those interested by comparing results (we could compare throughout the year, accounting for circumstances (team & tournament composition, etc.) that would have affected scores, or we could have one deciding tournament (but what if good people couldn't attend that tournament?)?).

In my mind, the tricky bit would be the next step, which would be picking a balanced team from those top players. After all, you don't want a team with an extreme bias against any field of subject matter. I have no idea how to go about something like that, though.
Joe Romersa
Rikku

Post by Joe Romersa »

Option 1: Free for all
Get everyone interested from the SoCal area into one room, and just read tossups. 4 highest scores go.

Option 2: UCLA's Team Optimization program
Plug in the stats from some tournament into that program (http://quizbowl.gimranov.com/TeamQualifier/) and select a team based on that.

Option 3: Let some higher power choose
I nominate Dwight for this.
Alex Wang
Arcadia High '10
UCLA '14 or so
gyre and gimble
Yuna

So I'm not sure if I heard correctly, but yesterday Ian said UCLA would be hosting another NAQT tournament. If that's going to be State Championships, then that's perfectly fine. But breaking down the SoCal tournaments that I've been aware of, we've had/are having later this year:

NAQT: IS-86 at UCLA, IS-88 at Caltech, IS-90 at Arcadia, IS-91A at UCI, IS-92 at La Jolla, IS-94 or IS-95 at UCLA? --- 6
Other: HFT at UCSD, FNT at Arcadia, NTV at UCLA, Prison Bowl at Claremont Colleges, Pre-Nationals Warmup at UCSD --- 4

I just wanted to see if SoCal could work an HSAPQ set into its schedule, as we've nearly exhausted every available NAQT set.

On another note, at least 10 tournaments in Southern California is really, really awesome! I could be wrong, but I don't think we've ever had this many.

EDIT: added Fall Novice Tournament.
Last edited by gyre and gimble on Sun Jan 10, 2010 5:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Stephen Liu
Torrey Pines '10
Harvard '14
Stanford '17
Joe Romersa
Rikku

Post by Joe Romersa »

You missed Fall Novice @ Arcadia in your count, so 11 tournaments this year. Another amazing thing is they've avoided A-sets except for one novice tournament.

I think people are reluctant to use an HSAPQ set (due to some previous issues) when there are so many other mACF tournaments open to mirrors. Also, its hard to add more tournaments between now and spring break season, and between spring break season and APs/Nationals.
Alex Wang
Arcadia High '10
UCLA '14 or so
gyre and gimble
Yuna

al3xWal3x wrote:I think people are reluctant to use an HSAPQ set (due to some previous issues) when there are so many other mACF tournaments open to mirrors.
Hmm. What I had thought was that the issue was not being able to finish the set on time, and that the sets that were completed were nevertheless good sets.
Stephen Liu
Torrey Pines '10
Harvard '14
Stanford '17
Joe Romersa
Rikku

Post by Joe Romersa »

There were some comments on the Maryland Fall Tournament thread about issues with the packet (repeats, difficulty swings, etc.) , although some of them were the result of last minute editing.
Alex Wang
Arcadia High '10
UCLA '14 or so
Down and out in Quintana Roo
Auron

Post by Down and out in Quintana Roo »

al3xWal3x wrote:There were some comments on the Maryland Fall Tournament thread about issues with the packet (repeats, difficulty swings, etc.) , although some of them were the result of last minute editing.
Still better than NAQT, though, in my opinion at least.
Mr. Andrew Chrzanowski
Caesar Rodney High School
Camden, Delaware
CRHS '97-'01
University of Delaware '01-'05
CRHS quizbowl coach '06-'12
http://crquizbowl.edublogs.org
MattyJ
Lulu

Post by MattyJ »

With the great preferences by new and young players at Baby Anteater, I know that Southern California Quiz Bowl is going to be in good shape for the next few years.
Matthew UCI '012
Edison '08

I stand by all the misstatements that I've made.
- Dan Quayle
Joe Romersa
Rikku

Post by Joe Romersa »

Should we start figuring out the team for NASAT?
Alex Wang
Arcadia High '10
UCLA '14 or so
Golran
Auron

Post by Golran »

There was some murmurings of having a tryout type thing with the WCI on Saturday night(we should know exactly what's happening after ACF regionals, but I currently have some rooms reserved for the 20th/21st). If that doesn't work out/WCI falls through, we can do something during states; even though I only have the rooms until 5:00, at least 2 of them will be open afterwards.
Drayer the Slayer
currently unaffiliated
Carambola!
Lulu

Post by Carambola! »

WCI will most likely be the first high school tournament for us NorCal teams since November. Our circuit is less active than Montana's.
Jeffrey Li
Mission San Jose High '11
Berkeley '15

But I shall forgive you. Some things are beautiful because they cannot be obtained.
Joe Romersa
Rikku

Post by Joe Romersa »

laserphaser wrote:WCI will most likely be the first high school tournament for us NorCal teams since November. Our circuit is less active than Montana's.
MSJ seems to be large enough of a club to be able to host their own tournament (i.e. you sent 5 teams to a tournament once), so why don't you host your own tournament? You make money for your club, you could probably field a house team and have a team or two play in it, and you get a set you can play on yourself.
Alex Wang
Arcadia High '10
UCLA '14 or so
Commodore
Lulu

Post by Commodore »

I assume it's logistically impossible for some schools to hold a tournament.
George Dewey
Chicago '13
Golran
Auron

Post by Golran »

Yeah, for example my high school required a teacher or staff member to be in every room that we would be using. We would not have been able to get enough rooms to make it worthwhile since we could get 2 maybe 3 teachers/staff to help us.
Drayer the Slayer
currently unaffiliated
Carambola!
Lulu

Post by Carambola! »

Joe Romersa wrote:
laserphaser wrote:WCI will most likely be the first high school tournament for us NorCal teams since November. Our circuit is less active than Montana's.
MSJ seems to be large enough of a club to be able to host their own tournament (i.e. you sent 5 teams to a tournament once), so why don't you host your own tournament? You make money for your club, you could probably field a house team and have a team or two play in it, and you get a set you can play on yourself.
We would have to clear that with our notoriously cranky administration (who doesn't know we have a team or know that we went to nationals last year) and motivate our seniors to do something. We had extremely tentative plans earlier in the year that fell through.
Jeffrey Li
Mission San Jose High '11
Berkeley '15

But I shall forgive you. Some things are beautiful because they cannot be obtained.
LucasBrown
Lulu

Post by LucasBrown »

Commodore wrote:I assume it's logistically impossible for some schools to hold a tournament.
Logistically impossible or bureaucratically impossible. I've talked to RB's admin folks about hosting, and they've said that they will consent only if it will help us qualify for a national tournament. Since the host school doesn't compete, RB can't host.
Lucas Brown
Rancho Bernardo 2011
Caltech 2015

Every day is finals day.
"If people only knew how hard I work to gain my mastery, it wouldn't seem so wonderful at all." --Michelangelo Buonarroti
warpoet
Wakka

Post by warpoet »

so, Seniors from around this corner of the intertubes, where are you headed next year?

EDIT: Just noticed Steven's and Gammage's signatures...
Max Stivers
Santa Monica High '10
NYU '14