Southern California End-Of-Year Survey

Dormant threads from the high school sections are preserved here.
cvdwightw
Auron

Southern California End-Of-Year Survey

Post by cvdwightw »

As an attempt to gauge the opinions of the current coaches, players, and community members in the Southern California high school quizbowl community, I sent out a survey to the local listserv (73 members, some of which are multiple e-mail addresses) and a group of coaches that are unable to access the listserv (another 5-6 members), and asked them to forward it to other coaches/players on their teams, so that I should hopefully get a representative sample of the people that are interested enough to respond. I have duplicated the survey on this thread so that other people who may want to do a similar thing with their states can adapt any relevant questions. I do not think any of these questions employ the "push poll" strategy of other surveys that are sometimes out there. Also, if you're one of those people that for some reason are on this board but not on the list, you can take this survey and send it to me, I guess.

Survey results will be posted in a couple of weeks. Thanks to Anurag and Zhao from RB and Tracy from Arcadia for suggestions on the survey.

End-of-Year Survey 2009
Responses to this survey should be sent to dpwynne at gmail dot com by Friday, June 19.

This survey contains 20 questions, each followed by between 4 and 7 statements, except for question 16, which asks you to rate factors on a scale from 1-5.

Please select the number that best corresponds to your answer to the question. Comments are welcome and encouraged, especially if there are two statements that nearly equally correspond to your feelings.

The 20 questions are divided into four sections:
THIS YEAR - 7 questions related to events that happened in high school quiz bowl this year.
FORMATS - 8 questions related to NAQT and other question providers.
NEXT YEAR - 3 questions related to moving forward next year.
BACKGROUND INFORMATION - 2 questions asking for your relationship to the Southern California quiz bowl community.

THIS YEAR
1. Due to school budget cuts and team responses, entry fees were cut from a standard base fee of $100+ to a standard base fee in the $70-$90 range. How do you feel about this?
1 - This has no effect on my/my team's ability to enjoy quiz bowl.
2 - I do not like this. Fees should go back to the $100 range.
3 - I like this. Fees should stay in this range next year.
4 - I like this. Fees should drop even lower next year.

2. This year, Baby Anteater used a packet set intended for newer players and restricted entry to newer players and teams. How do you feel about this?
1 - This has no effect on my/my team's ability to enjoy quiz bowl.
2 - All tournaments should be open to all high school players. We do not need separate tournaments for newer players.
3 - There should be a few similar tournaments next year, and they should restrict entry to freshmen and sophomores only.
4 - There should be a few similar tournaments next year, and they should restrict entry to players in their first two years of competition.
5 - There should be many similar tournaments next year, and they should restrict entry to freshmen and sophomores only.
6 - There should be many similar tournaments next year, and they should restrict entry to players in their first two years of competition.

3. This year, the Southern California High School Quizbowl Information Center was created to consolidate announcements and results, as well as notify visitors to the site of upcoming tournaments. How do you feel about this new resource?
1 - This has no effect on my/my team's ability to enjoy quizbowl.
2 - I/my team was unaware of this service, and may use it next year.
3 - I/my team used this service, but did not find it helpful (specify reasons).
4 - I/my team used this service, and found it helpful.
Suggestions on how to improve the website are encouraged.

4. This year, Arcadia hosted a tournament and Rancho Bernardo canceled a tournament due to lack of interest. How do you feel about high schools hosting tournaments?
2 - A few high school-hosted tournaments are okay, but tournaments should be primarily hosted by colleges (specify reasons).
3 - Both colleges and high schools should host tournaments.
4 - A few college-hosted tournaments are okay, but tournaments should be primarily hosted by high schools (specify reasons).
5 - I/my team enjoys tournaments hosted by high schools and would be interested in hosting a tournament.

5. This year, Triton Bowl and BAIT were largely written by high school students. How do you feel about high school student-written tournaments?
2 - I/my team prefers tournaments written by writers who have graduated high school (specify reasons).
3 - I/my team prefers tournaments written by writers who are still in high school (specify reasons).
4 - I/my team enjoys tournaments written by writers who are still in high school, and would be interested in collaborating with high school teams in other parts of the country to write a tournament.

6. This past summer, open practices were held at colleges and at players' houses. How do you feel about practices open to all players, regardless of school affiliation?
2 - I did not know about these practices until now, and I/my team may consider attending a few of them this summer.
3 - I do not like this idea. Players should get better on their own or by practicing with their teammates.
4 - I have no opinion on this specifically, but support any effort players put in to get better.
5 - I like this idea. Players can benefit by practicing with college players and players from other schools.

7. This year, schools such as Arcadia and Rancho Bernardo attended local college and open tournaments. How do you feel about high schools competing against players in college and players who have graduated from college?
2 - I did not know about the existence of these tournaments, and I/my team may consider attending a few of them if opportunity and funds allow.
3 - I do not like this idea. High school students should only play other high school students.
4 - I have no opinion on this specifically OR I am not likely to go/take my team to these tournaments, but support any effort players put in to get better.
5 - I like this idea. Players can benefit by playing tournaments on harder questions and against better opponents.

FORMATS
For questions 8-11, please consider the NAQT tournaments this year (TWAIN, Technophobia Jr., CBCT, Baby Anteater, Arcadia Carnal Embrace, NAQT State Championship, and HSNCT).

8. How do you feel about the subject distribution of NAQT packets (a current distribution of IS sets can be found at http://www.naqt.com/hs/distribution.jsp)?
1 - Subject distributions have no effect on my/my team's ability to enjoy quizbowl.
2 - I hate it! It needs drastic overhaul!
3 - I do not like it. There are several things I would change.
4 - It is all right, but there are some things I would change.
5 - I like it. There are a few things I would change.
6 - I love it! I would not change anything!

9. How do you feel about the NAQT game format (10-point tossups with 15-point powers and 5-point interrupt penalties, and 30-point bonuses; either 20-tossup untimed rounds or timed 9-minute halves)?
1 - Game formats have no effect on my/my team's ability to enjoy quizbowl.

10. How do you feel about the difficulty of NAQT's A-level sets (played at Technophobia Jr. and Baby Anteater)?
1 - Difficulty has no effect on my/my team's ability to enjoy quizbowl.
2 - These sets are too easy for novices.
3 - These sets are appropriate for novices, but too easy for varsity teams.
4 - These sets are appropriate for both novices and varsity teams.
5 - These sets are too hard for novices, but appropriate for varsity teams.
6 - These sets are too hard for varsity teams.
7 - The difficulty of these tournaments is highly variable, so I cannot make a good judgment.

11. How do you feel about the difficulty of NAQT's IS sets (played at TWAIN, CBCT, Arcadia Carnal Embrace, and NAQT State Championships)?
7 - The difficulty of these tournaments is highly variable, so I cannot make a good judgment.

For questions 12-14, please consider the ACF-format tournaments this year (Triton Bowl and BAIT) and the PACE-format tournaments this year (SCIENCE!, NSC).

12. How do you feel about the subject distribution of ACF-format tournaments (in each set of 20 questions, 4 literature, 4 history, 4 science, 2-3 arts, 2-3 religion/mythology/philosophy, 1 geography, 1 social science, 1 popular culture or current events)? The PACE distribution starting in 2009-2010 is the same.
1 - Subject distributions have no effect on my/my team's ability to enjoy quizbowl.

13. How do you feel about the ACF format (10-point tossups with 5-point interrupt penalties and 30-point bonuses; 20 tossups, untimed)? The PACE format starting in 2009-2010 has been changed to the ACF format with 20-point powers.
1 - Game formats have no effect on my/my team's ability to enjoy quizbowl.

14. How do you feel about the difficulty of sets produced by HSAPQ (SCIENCE!) and independent groups (Triton Bowl, BAIT)?

15. What should be the ideal length of a high school tossup?
1 - Length has no effect on my/my team's ability to enjoy quizbowl.
2 - No more than two lines.
3 - Two to three lines (about the length of an IS-A tossup).
4 - Three to five lines (about the length of an IS tossup).
5 - Five to six lines (about the length of an ACF-style tossup).
6 - Longer than six lines.

NEXT YEAR
16. Teams will choose which tournaments to attend next year based on a variety of factors. Typically, the most important of these factors is "I have four players that are able to attend the tournament on that date." Below are eight other factors (A-H) that teams often cite as desirable factors in a tournament. Please rate each of them on the following five-point scale:
1 - I do not find that factor desirable and would not consider going to a tournament with it
2 - I do not find that factor desirable, but would consider going to a tournament with it
3 - The presence or absence of that factor would not affect whether my team attends a tournament
4 - I find that factor desirable, and would consider going to a tournament based solely on its presence
5 - I find such a factor so desirable that I would not consider going to a tournament WITHOUT it

Factors:
A. Low proportion (5% or less) of non-academic material
B. Opportunity to qualify for NAQT HSNCT
C. Opportunity to qualify for PACE NSC
D. Location is less than 70 miles away
E. Base fee of $80 or less
F. Tournament has a history of starting and ending on time
G. Tournament staff are courteous and knowledgeable
H. Other (please specify and rate any additional factors that would influence your decision over which tournaments to attend next year)

17. In 2010, HSAPQ will be running the National All Star Academic Tournament, which will feature All Star teams from different states competing against each other and questions more difficult than those at HSNCT and NSC. Would you be interested in this kind of tournament?
1 - The presence of an All Star tournament has no effect on my/my team's ability to enjoy quizbowl.
2 - I am not interested in this tournament.
3 - I may be interested in this tournament, but have some reservations (please specify).
4 - I may be interested in playing on or chaperoning a team at this tournament. Please send me more information.

18. Should I do a mid-year and end-of-year survey again next year?
1 - Surveys have no effect on my/my team's ability to enjoy quizbowl.
2 - Surveys are a waste of time and you should not do them.
3 - You should do only an end-of-year survey. A mid-year survey is a waste of time.
4 - You should do only a mid-year survey. An end-of-year survey is a waste of time.
5 - You should do both a mid-year survey and end-of-year survey.

BACKGROUND INFORMATION
19. My primary involvement with high school quiz bowl in Southern California is/was as:
1 - I have no involvement with high school quiz bowl
2 - A high school player who will return next year
3 - A high school player graduating this year
4 - A high school coach
5 - A tournament director or staffer (current college players, please select this one)
6 - A parent or community member

20. I am primarily affiliated with a high school team that (coaches, and players that split time between teams of different ability levels, please select all that apply):
1 - I am not affiliated with a high school team
2 - Made the playoffs at a national tournament
3 - Attended or qualified for a national tournament, but did not make the playoffs
4 - Finished near the middle at most local tournaments
5 - Finished near the bottom at most local tournaments
Dwight Wynne
socalquizbowl.org
UC Irvine 2008-2013; UCLA 2004-2007; Capistrano Valley High School 2000-2003

"It's a competition, but it's not a sport. On a scale, if football is a 10, then rowing would be a two. One would be Quiz Bowl." --Matt Birk on rowing, SI On Campus, 10/21/03

"If you were my teammate, I would have tossed your ass out the door so fast you'd be emitting Cerenkov radiation, but I'm not classy like Dwight." --Jerry

ihavenoidea
Rikku

Re: Southern California End-Of-Year Survey

Post by ihavenoidea »

Am I allowed to respond to this?
Zhao Zhang
Rancho Bernardo High School '09