PACE NSC: format changes, 2010 information

Dormant threads from the high school sections are preserved here.
AKKOLADE
Sin

Re: PACE NSC: format changes, 2010 information

Post by AKKOLADE »

I've worked on recruitment for the NSC the past two years. Each year, we've had a number of teams unable to attend due to graduation and each year it's been on a different weekend. Due to when nationals are held, you're just going to have this issue unfortunately.
Fred Morlan
University of Kentucky CoP, 2017
International Quiz Bowl Tournaments, CEO, co-owner
former PACE member, president, etc.
former hsqbrank manager, former NAQT writer & subject editor, former hsqb Administrator/Chief Administrator
jonah
Auron

Post by jonah »

How bad would it be to move it to late April? Then you run into AP studying, of course, but that might be less objectionable than conflicts with actual AP tests or graduation (or prom). Illinois doesn't really have any tournaments then, but what about other circuits?
Jonah Greenthal
National Academic Quiz Tournaments
AKKOLADE
Sin

Post by AKKOLADE »

A lot of people currently in college or who work at colleges are members of PACE. Most colleges are still in session in April.
Fred Morlan
former hsqbrank manager, former NAQT writer & subject editor, former hsqb Administrator/Chief Administrator
Wall of Ham
Rikku

Post by Wall of Ham »

Plus there's also the collegiate nationals in April.
Barry
Cornell
Gautam
Auron

Post by Gautam »

As far as I know, most state tournaments and/or season enders still happen in the last weeks of April/early weeks of May, and I don't think scheduling against those is beneficial.
Gautam - ACF
Currently tending to the 'quizbowl hobo' persuasion.
Captain Sinico
Auron

Post by Captain Sinico »

klebian wrote:If I understand what you're saying, my point was that there would probably be fewer graduations in the third or fourth week of may as compared to the first or second week of June.
Okay. On what basis are you making that claim and, if it's true, why does it matter?

MaS
Mike Sorice
Former Coach, Centennial High School of Champaign, IL (2014-2020) & Team Illinois (2016-2018)
Alumnus, Illinois ABT (2000-2002; 2003-2009) & Fenwick Scholastic Bowl (1999-2000)
Member, ACF (Emeritus), IHSSBCA, & PACE
Sen. Estes Kefauver (D-TN)
Chairman of Anti-Music Mafia Committee

Post by Sen. Estes Kefauver (D-TN) »

Yeah, some areas of the country such as the midwest hold graduations then, so I don't believe that there is one true weekend that will maximize our attendance based on graduations. Also guys, note the other thread where someone says NAQT is probably taking the weekend before. Assuming this is true, this makes it impossible for PACE to run on Memorial Day weekend again despite what you all are calling for, and I guarantee you no matter which date PACE picked a lot of places would be having graduation conflicts.
Charlie Dees, North Kansas City HS '08
"I won't say more because I know some of you parse everything I say." - Jeremy Gibbs

"At one TJ tournament the neg prize was the Hampshire College ultimate frisbee team (nude) calender featuring one Evan Silberman. In retrospect that could have been a disaster." - Harry White
Terrible Shorts Depot
Yuna

Post by Terrible Shorts Depot »

Every weekend from the beginning of March until the middle of June will have conflicts. Get over it. Pick something that you can change to criticize, like question quality.
Charlie Rosenthal
Shady Side Academy '09
Carleton College '13
University of Pennsylvania '18
Adventure Temple Trail
Auron

Post by Adventure Temple Trail »

Jeremy Gibbs Free Energy wrote: NAQT is probably taking the weekend before
NAQT has a scheduling committe for a reason, right? Why not actually ask them which weekend they are taking? If they are amenable to shifting their date to the week before Memorial Day weekend, then there's no issue with PACE taking Memorial Day weekend (May 29-31, 2010). If they say they are already committed to using Memorial Day weekend, it's worth looking into whether more major issues arise with graduations, etc. from the weekend before NAQT (May 22-23, 2010 - this corresponds to about when PACE was this year without a major hitch and is after AP testing) or the weekend after (the currently-planned June 5-6, which may be an issue only for Klein HS and Georgetown Day, but somehow I doubt it).
Matt Jackson
University of Chicago '24
Yale '14, Georgetown Day School '10
member emeritus, ACF
Captain Sinico
Auron

Post by Captain Sinico »

RyuAqua wrote:NAQT has a scheduling committe for a reason, right? Why not actually ask them which weekend they are taking?
Surely that was done.
To speak to your larger point: if one weekend is so much better than another, why is NAQT going to move off of the good one if they have it (and why is it optimal for them to do so?) I really don't see an answer to that, even accepting the premise that there's only one best weekend. On the contrary, if there are two or more weekends that are of about equal quality (which I strongly believe to be the case,) then PACE and NAQT will take one of each and it shouldn't matter in particular which goes where.

MaS
Mike Sorice
Former Coach, Centennial High School of Champaign, IL (2014-2020) & Team Illinois (2016-2018)
Alumnus, Illinois ABT (2000-2002; 2003-2009) & Fenwick Scholastic Bowl (1999-2000)
Important Bird Area
Forums Staff: Administrator

Post by Important Bird Area »

Captain Sinico wrote:
RyuAqua wrote:NAQT has a scheduling committe for a reason, right? Why not actually ask them which weekend they are taking?
Surely that was done.
It was, both over email and in person on Sunday.
Captain Sinico wrote:if there are two or more weekends that are of about equal quality (which I strongly believe to be the case,) then PACE and NAQT will take one of each and it shouldn't matter in particular which goes where.
And this was the sense of the discussion.
Jeff Hoppes
President, Northern California Quiz Bowl Alliance
former HSQB Chief Admin (2012-13)
VP for Communication and history subject editor, NAQT
Editor emeritus, ACF

"I wish to make some kind of joke about Jeff's love of birds, but I always fear he'll turn them on me Hitchcock-style." -Fred
AKKOLADE
Sin

Post by AKKOLADE »

You can find the discussion regarding power matching at the NSC at http://hsquizbowl.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=7936 .
Fred Morlan
dschafer
Rikku

Post by dschafer »

millionwaves wrote:The tournament format for the PACE NSC in 2010 will be a 64-team tournament divided into eight brackets of eight teams each, seeded based on the team's performance-to-date with the goal of making each bracket both competitively equal to the other brackets and geographically diverse within the bracket. The top two teams from each preliminary bracket, by win-loss record, will advance to the championship playoffs. Teams 3 and 4 will go to the second playoff flight, teams 5 and 6 to the third flight, and teams 7 and 8 to the fourth flight. All ties for entrance into a higher playoff flight will be played off on half-games. Each flight will be divided into two brackets of eight such that the brackets are competitively equal based on prelim PPG but no rematches occur in the playoff brackets. Teams will play another round-robin against the other seven teams in their playoff bracket, be ranked by win-loss record, then (except for the top 4 in the championship brackets), play half-games to break ties and then play a final crossover game with their counterpart in the other bracket of their playoff flight for final ranking.

Those teams who are in the top 4 of each of the two playoff brackets (with ties for fourth place being broken by half-games) will instead play a 4-game crossover against the top 4 of the other bracket. The top 8 overall teams in the tournament will be ranked on their total record against each other over the 7 games they have played within that group--that is, the 4 crossover games and the 3 games that each team played in the first portion of the playoffs against other Top 8 teams. At this point, if a teams is 2 games ahead of the rest of the Top 8, it wins the tournament outright; if there is a tie for first, it is played off on a full game (or a series of PPG-seeded full games if the tie involves more than 2 teams); or, if a team is 1 game ahead of the second place team (or 2 or more teams tied for second place, who will play off on full games first in this scenario), then it will receive the advantage in a weighted best-of-three final of up to two games. The tournament will conclude with an all-star game played on an additional academic packet.

Under this tournament format, no team can win the tournament without playing all seven of the other Top 8 teams, and no playoff team can be eliminated from championship contention without losing at least twice in the upper playoffs. All teams are guaranteed at least 15 rounds of officially counted gameplay regardless of their prelim finish.
This is an awesome format.
Dan Schafer
Carnegie Mellon '10
Thomas Jefferson '06
btressler
Tidus

Post by btressler »

Regarding the actual execution of the tournament:

Would it be possible to hold your moderator meeting either before the player meeting or concurrently with it?

The last two years, we've sat in the round 1 rooms for 30-60 minutes waiting to start. I took note that round 1 started at 10:15 in the room I was in this year.
Bill Tressler,
Dickinson ('97) Carnegie Mellon ('99) Delaware ('06)
Seen moderating at various SE Pennsylvania events.
AlphaQuizBowler
Tidus

Post by AlphaQuizBowler »

If two teams out of each bracket make the playoffs, isn't it possible that both make the top 8? In this case, would you have them play a crossover game in addition to the game from the prelims? And which games would count in that situation?
William
Alpharetta High School '11
Harvard '15
naturalistic phallacy
Auron

Post by naturalistic phallacy »

Bad Boy Bill wrote:Regarding the actual execution of the tournament:

Would it be possible to hold your moderator meeting either before the player meeting or concurrently with it?

The last two years, we've sat in the round 1 rooms for 30-60 minutes waiting to start. I took note that round 1 started at 10:15 in the room I was in this year.
This was discussed, and the meetings with probably be concurrent next year.
Bernadette Spencer
University of Minnesota, MCTC
Member, NAQT
Member, ACF
Member Emeritus, PACE
Down and out in Quintana Roo
Auron

Post by Down and out in Quintana Roo »

millionwaves wrote:The 2010 PACE NSC will take place on Saturday and Sunday, June 5-6, 2010.
Originally this worked for us, but now i hear that our tentative graduation date is June 5th (in the past, it's been the last week of May, but i guess we don't want to schedule it the same weekend as the NASCAR race that's in town at the same time). We surely can't go now. Oh well.
Mr. Andrew Chrzanowski
Caesar Rodney High School
Camden, Delaware
CRHS '97-'01
University of Delaware '01-'05
CRHS quizbowl coach '06-'12
http://crquizbowl.edublogs.org
Nine-Tenths Ideas
Auron

Post by Nine-Tenths Ideas »

Schools should be more like ours and hold their graduation on a Wednesday.
Isaac Hirsch
University of Maryland '14
Never Gonna Play Again
Auron

How large is your school? We'll graduate around 450 next year so it's tough to do indoors anywhere. But believe me, i agree with you, and did so even before this news. I guess they want to assure that as many family members as possible can attend, and Saturday mornings work best for that. We usually fill up the whole football bleachers, and we have one of the biggest stadiums in the state.

Oh well, again.
Mr. Andrew Chrzanowski
Camden, Delaware
CRHS '97-'01
Sen. Estes Kefauver (D-TN)
Chairman of Anti-Music Mafia Committee

Post by Sen. Estes Kefauver (D-TN) »

You guys don't have some kind of nearby auditorium? All the NKC district schools held their graduations in the Municipal Auditorium/basketball arena indoors. Also, we did a Thursday graduation, so you should all complain to your schoolboards to change your dates.
Charlie Dees, North Kansas City HS '08
"I won't say more because I know some of you parse everything I say." - Jeremy Gibbs

"At one TJ tournament the neg prize was the Hampshire College ultimate frisbee team (nude) calender featuring one Evan Silberman. In retrospect that could have been a disaster." - Harry White
The Atom Strikes!
Tidus

Post by The Atom Strikes! »

Good god people, just man up and skip your graduations.
Henry Gorman, Wilmington Charter '09, Rice '13, PhD History Vanderbilt '1X
Nine-Tenths Ideas
Auron

Post by Nine-Tenths Ideas »

We have a big school, but I think we rent DAR Constitution Hall or something.
Isaac Hirsch
University of Maryland '14
Never Gonna Play Again
Auron

A.B.C.D E.F. Godthaab wrote:Good god people, just man up and skip your graduations.
That's what i keep telling them, Henry. But apparently Ryan and Seth already said "absolutely not" and Trey basically has said that it's too big of a deal to the family for him to skip. I guess we'll see.
Mr. Andrew Chrzanowski
Camden, Delaware
CRHS '97-'01
Dan Greenstein
Yuna

Post by Dan Greenstein »

Caesar Rodney HS wrote:
A.B.C.D E.F. Godthaab wrote:Good god people, just man up and skip your graduations.
That's what i keep telling them, Henry. But apparently Ryan and Seth already said "absolutely not" and Trey basically has said that it's too big of a deal to the family for him to skip. I guess we'll see.
I was under the impression that teachers are required to attend graduation anywhere and everywhere. Is this not the case?
Daniel Greenstein
University of Maryland (2000-2004)
Eleanor Roosevelt High School (1998-2000)
Broad-tailed Grassbird
Tidus

Post by Broad-tailed Grassbird »

Dan Greenstein wrote:
Caesar Rodney HS wrote:
I was under the impression that teachers are required to attend graduation anywhere and everywhere. Is this not the case?
Sports teams skip finals for their playoffs all the time. Quiz bowlers should do likewise, unless they think quiz bowl is a joke.

Only about 15 of the teachers were at my brothers graduation on Saturday (in a school of 2000+ students).
Nalin
Scranton Middle School (2000-2003)
Brighton High School (2003-2007)
Michigan State University (2007-2011)
Semi-Retired (2012-present)
at your pleasure
Auron

Post by at your pleasure »

Fortunately, ours is Thursday.
Douglas Graebner, Walt Whitman HS 10, Uchicago 14
"... imagination acts upon man as really as does gravitation, and may kill him as certainly as a dose of prussic acid."-Sir James Frazer,The Golden Bough

http://avorticistking.wordpress.com/
Stained Diviner
Auron

Post by Stained Diviner »

Teachers do not have to attend graduations. I have to do crowd control once every five years, which is much too often as far as I am concerned.
David Reinstein
Head Writer and Editor for Scobol Solo, Masonics, and IESA; TD for Scobol Solo and Reinstein Varsity; IHSSBCA Board Member; IHSSBCA Chair (2004-2014); PACE President (2016-2018)
Self-incompatibility in plants
Rikku

Post by Self-incompatibility in plants »

Sports teams skip finals for their playoffs all the time. Quiz bowlers should do likewise, unless they think quiz bowl is a joke.

Only about 15 of the teachers were at my brothers graduation on Saturday (in a school of 2000+ students).
I seriously hope that you aren't suggesting that the CR quiz bowl players think that quiz bowl is a joke. A team that has traveled to 13 regular tournaments, 2 national tournaments, and has played a total of over 140 matches this year is not a team that finds quiz bowl to be a joke. Let me remind you that everything we do, as high school students, is not entirely up for us to decide. For our families, graduation day is the culmination of the past 12 years. Even if we care more about quiz bowl, they don't. In any case though, your example of sports teams skipping finals for their playoffs is not exactly applicable for skipping graduation. We are more than willing and able to skip our exams (our families don't want to travel x miles to see us take a test...).
Trey Taraila
Caesar Rodney 2010
University of Delaware 2014
Mechanical Beasts
Banned Cheater

Post by Mechanical Beasts »

nalin wrote:Sports teams skip finals for their playoffs all the time. Quiz bowlers should do likewise, unless they think quiz bowl is a joke.
I'm pretty sure that the fact that high schools just love their sports teams and will make all kinds of exceptions for them that they won't make for other extracurriculars shouldn't enter into this debate at all, no sir.
Andrew Watkins
cvdwightw
Auron

Post by cvdwightw »

Perhaps we can split all this graduation nonsense off elsewhere, but before we do that, I'd just like to note that there appear to be two types of schools:

TYPE A: Football stadium/auditorium(for smaller classes), school parking lots/surrounding area, etc. are perfectly serviceable facilities for conducting graduation. Therefore graduation can be conducted in the middle of the week, often on the last day of class, because things like "graduation rehearsal" and "crowd control" are relatively easy.

TYPE B: Facilities are not good enough for whatever reason (lack of stadium, lack of parking, school deciding that hosting it at school is not fancy enough). For instance, I think the Irvine USD schools and several local parochial schools held their graduations on the UCI campus (the four Irvine public high schools currently share a single football stadium; I'm not sure what the parochial schools' impetus was). In this case, it is usually easier to work things on a weekend.

That said, I hope that teams realize that there are really only 2-3 prime weekends for hosting a national tournament, and that inevitably, someone's graduation is going to conflict with the tournament. I'm sure PACE and NAQT take that into account when they try to figure out weekends.
Dwight Wynne
socalquizbowl.org
UC Irvine 2008-2013; UCLA 2004-2007; Capistrano Valley High School 2000-2003

"It's a competition, but it's not a sport. On a scale, if football is a 10, then rowing would be a two. One would be Quiz Bowl." --Matt Birk on rowing, SI On Campus, 10/21/03

"If you were my teammate, I would have tossed your ass out the door so fast you'd be emitting Cerenkov radiation, but I'm not classy like Dwight." --Jerry
The King's Flight to the Scots
Auron

Post by The King's Flight to the Scots »

Out of curiosity, has a site been decided yet? If not, is it likely to change?
Matt Bollinger
UVA '14, UVA '15
Kechara
Wakka

Post by Kechara »

Johannes Climacus wrote:We have a big school, but I think we rent DAR Constitution Hall or something.
I think the county rents out Constitution Hall for everyone. I know Paint Branch always graduates there on the first Friday of June. When your county has as much money has MoCo does, though, you can afford to rent out this big place for a week or two.
Jessie Francis

"Bubbles up"
First Chairman
Auron

Post by First Chairman »

ColJade wrote:Out of curiosity, has a site been decided yet? If not, is it likely to change?
In all likelihood, we are trying to keep it in the DC area.
Emil Thomas Chuck, Ph.D.
Founder, PACE
Facebook junkie and unofficial advisor to aspiring health professionals in quiz bowl
---
Pimping Green Tea Ginger Ale (Canada Dry)
Charley Pride
Rikku

Post by Charley Pride »

This is interesting...I guess I like the format changes, but I didn't mind the "visible" powers that were in place before. The date change may hurt, though, since it could conflict with finals schedules for some schools (I just checked, and Auburn finishes with school on the 4th). Am I right?
Zahed Haseeb

Auburn High School 2010
University of Chicago 2014
AlphaQuizBowler
Tidus

Post by AlphaQuizBowler »

How many rounds are we scheduled to play on Saturday, and how many on Sunday?
William
Alpharetta High School '11
Harvard '15
Joshua Rutsky
Tidus

Post by Joshua Rutsky »

My team will be attending this event for the first time this year. Does anyone with experience in the area have a suggestion for a hotel that combines proximity to PACE with nearness to a Metro stop?
Joshua Rutsky
VP for Curriculum and Camp Operations, Qwiz
ASCA Board Member
Hoover High School Coach (Retired)
The Goffman Prophecies
Quizbowl Detective Extraordinaire

Post by The Goffman Prophecies »

Joshua Rutsky wrote:My team will be attending this event for the first time this year. Does anyone with experience in the area have a suggestion for a hotel that combines proximity to PACE with nearness to a Metro stop?
GMU and the Vienna/Fairfax-GMU metro stop (on the western end of the Orange Line) are about 4 miles apart. There are quite a few hotels in the area between the two, mostly along VA-123 (Chain Bridge Rd) and US-50/US-29 (Fairfax Blvd or Arlington Blvd, depending on where you are).

If you're trying to do this trip without a car, your best bet is to look into the Fairfax CUE bus. Both the Green and Gold routes run between the Metro and GMU. I'd suggest looking for stops along the bus routes, if that's what you're looking at.

Not speaking on behalf of PACE, but one of our members looked at a hanful of hotels in the area for the staff, and these all looked decent: the Holiday Inn Express on Lee Highway, the Best Western on Chain Bridge Rd, and the Courtyard by Mariott on Lee Jackson Highway all checked out well. I haven't checked to see if these are on the bus line, however.
Dan Goff
HSQB sysadmin

Virginia Tech '13
South Carolina '15
and a couple other places
Not Thomas Dale HS

STAAATS
MahoningQuizBowler
Rikku

Post by MahoningQuizBowler »

Speaking solely for myself, I was able to book the Hyatt Fair Lakes at $59/night in Fairfax, which is 7 miles from GMU. They offer complimentary transportation to the Vienna Metro station.
Greg Bossick
Director, Mahoning Quizbowl League (2004-2011, 2013-present)
Director, NAQT Ohio Small School State Championship (2018-present)
Executive Director, Ohio Academic Competition (2013-2016)
Cassian
Lulu

Post by Cassian »

We looked at the Best Western and the HI Express - both seem to have bus service to the GMU campus and are right about the same price. I think we're going with the Best Western.
Jason Flowers
Quiz Bowl Coach
The Liberal Arts and Science Academy
Austin, TX
The Goffman Prophecies

More travel information (via Tom Chuck and Tricia Southard from Facebook):

http://www.wmata.com/about_metro/news/P ... s=facebook

Metro is closing the Orange Line between the East Falls Church and West Falls Church stops for construction on PACE NSC weekend. They are running shuttle bus service between the two stations, which will add delays if you're planning on using Metro to get to GMU or your hotel.
Dan Goff
HSQB sysadmin

Virginia Tech '13
South Carolina '15
Not Thomas Dale HS

STAAATS
dtaylor4
Auron

Re: 2009 PACE NSC

Post by dtaylor4 »

Based on my records, I have yet to receive checks from the following schools:

St. Joseph (NJ)
Alpharetta (GA)
Woodford County (KY)
Rancho Bernardo (CA)
Rockford Auburn (IL)
Maggie Walker (VA)
LASA (TX)
Loyola Academy (IL)
Holden (MO)
Warren Harding (OH)
State College (PA)
Georgetown Day School (DC)
Ocean Lakes (VA)
John T Hoggard (NC)
Wilmington Charter (DE)
Southside (SC)
Mission San Jose (CA)
Walter Johnson (MD)
duPont Manual (KY)
Richard Montgomery (MD)
Lisle (IL)
MLK Magnet (TN)
Copley (OH)
Troy (MI)
Patton (NC)
Ransom Everglades (FL)
Norcross (GA)
Seven Lakes (TX)
Shady Side (PA)
Langley (VA)
University (CA)

The deadline to pay without additional penalties is in a week. I have been in contact with a few teams, and will soon email the contacts listed for the above teams.

If you have any questions, send me an email, it is the best way to get in touch with me, and I usually respond promptly.
Andrew's a Freshman
Wakka

Post by Andrew's a Freshman »

I remember seeing a page that laid out the responsibilities of a team adult at/during the competition but haven't been able to find it since. Could someone direct me towards it?
Norcross High School '11
Northwestern University '15
Joshua Rutsky
Tidus

Post by Joshua Rutsky »

When should we be expecting to receive information regarding locations, schedule, etc?
Joshua Rutsky
VP for Curriculum and Camp Operations, Qwiz
ASCA Board Member
Hoover High School Coach (Retired)
AKKOLADE
Sin

Post by AKKOLADE »

Andrew's a Freshman wrote:I remember seeing a page that laid out the responsibilities of a team adult at/during the competition but haven't been able to find it since. Could someone direct me towards it?
Sorry, I didn't see this at first; I'll blame that on finals week.

I honestly don't recall this document, but I'll see if I can dig it up
Joshua Rutsky wrote:When should we be expecting to receive information regarding locations, schedule, etc?
Soon, I hope. One of the biggest delays right now is that Mike Sorice managed to cut up one of his fingers, which makes typing a bit harder.
Fred Morlan
etchdulac
Rikku

Post by etchdulac »

The Motley Eye wrote:Metro is closing the Orange Line between the East Falls Church and West Falls Church stops for construction on PACE NSC weekend. They are running shuttle bus service between the two stations, which will add delays if you're planning on using Metro to get to GMU or your hotel.
Should those of us coming into the area from BWI consider renting a car, or is doing the "bus - green line - interrupted orange line" at night with baggage not an unsafe idea?

Only been to D.C. on school trips and such; any better informed advice is appreciated.
Stephen Fontenot
Texas Quiz Bowl Alliance Deputy Director
Communications, UT Dallas
Strake Jesuit '96 -+-+- Southwestern '00
cchiego
Yuna

Post by cchiego »

etchdulac wrote:Should those of us coming into the area from BWI consider renting a car, or is doing the "bus - green line - interrupted orange line" at night with baggage not an unsafe idea?
I did the BWI-Greenbelt-Metro dance at ACF Nats at night and it really wasn't bad at all. The bus picks you up right from BWI (be sure to figure out exactly where in your terminal- for me, it was at the extreme left of the bus pick-up area) and drops you at the Greenbelt much earlier than the scheduled 40 minutes (I think it was less than 30 both times). Bring cash for the buses. Just be prepared for delays on the Metro and be sure that you get to BWI/the Greenbelt before the last bus leaves (I think it was around 10 on weekends?). A bit of a long travel time, but can't argue with BWI's insanely cheap prices.
Chris C.
Past: UGA/UCSD/Penn
Present: Solano County, CA
The Goffman Prophecies

Here is the timetable for the B30 bus that runs between Greenbelt and BWI.

http://www.wmata.com/bus/timetables/md/b30.pdf?n
Dan Goff
HSQB sysadmin

Virginia Tech '13
South Carolina '15
Not Thomas Dale HS

STAAATS
Red-necked Phalarope
Rikku

Post by Red-necked Phalarope »

It also looks like Amtrak from BWI to Union Station is about $10, if time is at a premium and your schedule makes it feasible. I can vouch for the MetroBus to Greenbelt being totally reasonable, though I haven't done the bus leg to Fairfax before.
Brice Russ
East Forsyth '04
UNC '08
Ohio State '13
Kouign Amann
Forums Staff: Moderator

Post by Kouign Amann »

The Green Line generally only becomes "unsafe" once you get past downtown and into Anacostia; if you're transferring to the Orange Line, you should be fine. And yes, definitely be prepared for all sorts of wacky delays - Metro is notoriously unreliable.
Aidan Mehigan
St. Anselm's Abbey School '12
Columbia University '16 | University of Oxford '17 | UPenn GSE '19
Captain Sinico
Auron

Post by Captain Sinico »

FYI, what's being asked about is this ill-timed/placed line closure. My supposition is that the route will still be safe given that DC public transit is some of the best. Indeed, I'm planning on traveling it myself. I do expect a not insignificant delay, of course.
I took buses and trains from BWI to GMU and back last year without too much ado, except that I think I barely caught the last bus going back. That said, I was leaving significantly later than anyone actually playing the tournament ever should, so that shouldn't be an issue for you guys. I took regional light rail inbound that was pretty good, but it wasn't running outbound that late on Sunday.

MaS
Mike Sorice