NAC schedule info/tournament thread

Dormant threads from the high school sections are preserved here.
... and the chaos of Mexican modernity
Rikku

Re: NAC schedule info/tournament thread

Post by ... and the chaos of Mexican modernity »

Will this be liveblogged via the liveblog channel used for NSC and HSNCT. If so please give the link so I can see the answers of this glorious :chip: tournament.
Zach Foster
North Myrtle Beach High School class of 2009
George Mason University class of 2013
Ben Dillon
Rikku

Post by Ben Dillon »

jonah wrote:I am going with two other people who I won't identify here; they can out themselves if they like. I will be recording the matches we watch and probably liveblogging.
Be careful. Chip does have a rule on this point:

"7. Participants are not permitted to record the audio or video of any match without the prior consent of the Executive Director, who reserves the right to assess a $10 per match fee for such privilege. Violation of this rule may result in match forfeiture."

Now this refers to teams in the match, which may not describe you. I'm not sure how Chip would react if other spectators broke the rule. But given that a hotel is private property, not public property, there's potential for nastiness.
Ben Dillon, Saint Joseph HS

"Why, sometimes I've believed as many as
six impossible things before breakfast!"
... and the chaos of Mexican modernity
Rikku

Post by ... and the chaos of Mexican modernity »

See though I don't belive Jonah is recording the thing by video or audio. I wouldn't know if writing about the thing is under either one of those categories
Zach Foster
North Myrtle Beach High School class of 2009
George Mason University class of 2013
jonah
Auron

Post by jonah »

Bakery, State, and Utopia wrote:Will this be liveblogged via the liveblog channel used for NSC and HSNCT. If so please give the link so I can see the answers of this glorious :chip: tournament.
Yes, I'll be using Cover It Live, and will post the link here when I start.
Ben Dillon wrote:
jonah wrote:I am going with two other people who I won't identify here; they can out themselves if they like. I will be recording the matches we watch and probably liveblogging.
Be careful. Chip does have a rule on this point:

"7. Participants are not permitted to record the audio or video of any match without the prior consent of the Executive Director, who reserves the right to assess a $10 per match fee for such privilege. Violation of this rule may result in match forfeiture."

Now this refers to teams in the match, which may not describe you. I'm not sure how Chip would react if other spectators broke the rule. But given that a hotel is private property, not public property, there's potential for nastiness.
Well, we're not participants, so if he sticks to the letter of the rules we're fine. Of course, that's not necessarily likely. Fortunately, my recording equipment is quite surreptitious.
Jonah Greenthal
National Academic Quiz Tournaments
rjaguar3
Rikku

Post by rjaguar3 »

I would have loved to attend this, but alas, I am leaving on a cross-country trip to a summer internship early Saturday morning.
Greg (Vanderbilt 2012, Wheaton North 2008)
jonah
Auron

Post by jonah »

I wrote:I...will post the link here when I start.
I got it set up in advance. The liveblog will be available here unless I run into internet connectivity problems. The hotel theoretically has free wifi, but who knows. As a backup, I might text updates to my twitter.
Jonah Greenthal
mlaird
Tidus

Post by mlaird »

soaringeagle22 wrote:Anyway, the last stage of this thing starts tomorrow in Chicago. Is there anybody here even going? For that matter, does anyone here have any idea who might take home the "national" "championship" "prize"?
I'll be attending as an observer. I plan on posting some notes when the tournament is over.
Jarvick
Kimahri

Post by Jarvick »

jonah wrote:
soaringeagle22 wrote:Anyway, the last stage of this thing starts tomorrow in Chicago. Is there anybody here even going? For that matter, does anyone here have any idea who might take home the "national" "championship" "prize"?
I am going with two other people who I won't identify here; they can out themselves if they like. I will be recording the matches we watch and probably liveblogging.
Wow I checked your live blog. In the Plano A- Cedar Crest match almost every Question was from a match I played in New Orleans, great job chip

This is my first post, so tell me if i did something wrong.
Joseph Longenecker
Homeschool (played with Elizabethtown 2005-2009)
U Chicago '13
Jarvick
Kimahri

Post by Jarvick »

Apparently Chip reuses questions at each stage, since the entire Cedar Crest match from the Chicago round on Jonah's liveblog is ripped from a match I played against Vidor in the New Orleans round.
Joseph Longenecker
Homeschool (played with Elizabethtown 2005-2009)
U Chicago '13
mlaird
Tidus

Post by mlaird »

Jarvick wrote:Apparently Chip reuses questions at each stage, since the entire Cedar Crest match from the Chicago round on Jonah's liveblog is ripped from a match I played against Vidor in the New Orleans round.
Yes, this was suspected, but it has now been officially confirmed by Chip himself to me. I brought up question security to him, and he acted like it was largely unimportant.
scquizbowl
Wakka

Post by scquizbowl »

On the Questions Unlimited website, Chip has in big letters, LADIES AND GENTLEMEN, MEET AMERICA'S NUMBER 1 ACADEMIC TEAM.

Congratulations to John Cooper, who won it in Chicago, despite losing early in the playoffs in their own TQBA state championship. They made the tournament by winning the winter QuizNet competition.

Chip has pictures of all the players, dressed up.

However, he didn't do his full writeup about the tournament.

http://www.qunlimited.com/
Joe
James Island '10
the return of AHAN
Auron

Post by the return of AHAN »

Look again in a few days. He's sometimes tardy with his write-ups, I've found. I want to see the results of the Schaumburg matches to see how an above-average MSL squad stacks up against other teams with "national title" aspirations. Frankly, if Schaumburg did really well, it kind of exposes the NAC as not being a high-level event.
Jeff Price
Barrington High School Coach (2021 & 2023 HSNCT Champions, 2023 PACE Champions, 2023 Illinois Masonic Bowl Class 3A State Champions)
Barrington Station Middle School Coach (2013 MSNCT Champions, 2013 & 2017 Illinois Class AA State Champions)
------------------------------------------------------------------------------
jonah
Auron

Post by jonah »

Woody Paige wrote:I want to see the results of the Schaumburg matches to see how an above-average MSL squad stacks up against other teams with "national title" aspirations. Frankly, if Schaumburg did really well, it kind of exposes the NAC as not being a high-level event.
They were 1-2 at the end of the first day, for what that's worth.
Jonah Greenthal
scquizbowl
Wakka

Post by scquizbowl »

Chip has updated and added his summary about the tournament, as he talks about most of the questions. Strangely, our local Stratford team, who may have competed in one or two tournaments all year, only lost by 5 points in the playoffs to Hampton.

Copley and John Cooper are splitting the $2,000 Muller Foundation check, for making the finals of this tournament (cheap). For winning, John Cooper's team members are receiving letterman jackets, from something called the John and Adaline Simon Trust.

Here is a description of most of the important matches. Read for yourself and discuss.

http://www.qunlimited.com/national.htm
Joe
James Island '10
Adventure Temple Trail
Auron

Post by Adventure Temple Trail »

Chip wrote: Next Year’s Champs?

Watch out for two Westchester, NY schools next year, with their best players returning: Horace Greeley, and Byram Hills. Will West Virginia win its first title in 2010? Maybe – the Parkersburg brain trust will be intact.
.... :roll:
Matt Jackson
University of Chicago '24
Yale '14, Georgetown Day School '10
member emeritus, ACF
First Chairman
Auron

Post by First Chairman »

scquizbowl wrote:$2,000 Muller Foundation check ... . For winning, John Cooper's team members are receiving letterman jackets, from something called the John and Adaline Simon Trust.
I presume we're talking about the George Muller Foundation because the Maurice Muller Foundation makes no sense. Not that the George Muller Foundation makes sense as a donor...

There is a professorship for John and Adaline Simon at the University of Rochester, but I haven't found any information that can be accessed by website about a Foundation in their name.
Emil Thomas Chuck, Ph.D.
Founder, PACE
Facebook junkie and unofficial advisor to aspiring health professionals in quiz bowl
---
Pimping Green Tea Ginger Ale (Canada Dry)
quizbowlben
Kimahri

Post by quizbowlben »

scquizbowl wrote:On the Questions Unlimited website, Chip has in big letters, LADIES AND GENTLEMEN, MEET AMERICA'S NUMBER 1 ACADEMIC TEAM.

Congratulations to John Cooper, who won it in Chicago, despite losing early in the playoffs in their own TQBA state championship. They made the tournament by winning the winter QuizNet competition.

Chip has pictures of all the players, dressed up.

However, he didn't do his full writeup about the tournament.

http://www.qunlimited.com/
Thank you, but I think you are mistaken about our (John Cooper's) finish in the Texas state championship played with NAQT questions. The results and stats are online at www.texasquizbowl.org . We finished 3rd, behind Bellaire and Kincaid - not exactly early in the playoffs. Bellaire was a better team that day; we didn't play Kincaid all year AFAIK so I can't really say.

http://texasquizbowl.org/d/09state/index.html
Ben
John Cooper '09
Harvard '13
quizbowlben
Kimahri

Post by quizbowlben »

Woody Paige wrote:Look again in a few days. He's sometimes tardy with his write-ups, I've found. I want to see the results of the Schaumburg matches to see how an above-average MSL squad stacks up against other teams with "national title" aspirations. Frankly, if Schaumburg did really well, it kind of exposes the NAC as not being a high-level event.
Just to help you out, they ended up 1-5, ranked 88 out of 119 on Chip's page: http://www.qunlimited.com/rank09.htm
Ben
John Cooper '09
Harvard '13