Lowlights from the IESA Regionals ....

Dormant threads from the high school sections are preserved here.
Tegan
Coach of AHAN Jr.

Lowlights from the IESA Regionals ....

Post by Tegan »

For entertainment purposes only ... not sure if this belongs in AHAN or here
QG wrote:The 2007-08 primary season was unique in that it featured a woman, and African-American, and a member of the Church of Later Day Saints as serious presidential candidates. Who was the first Jewish American to be on a major American party ticket when he ran for the office of vice president in 2000?
Apparently, QG has hired former Interior Secretary James Watt as an advisor.
QG wrote:Sounds travel through solids, liquids, and air. Sound is transmitted b vibrations of varying frequencies. What is the 6-letter term for a place where there is an absence of matter and it is always completely silent.
1. Air is now a phase of matter.
2. Silent my hairy butt! I've seen Star Wars!! I've seen Star Trek!! Space is plenty noisy ... when things aren't blowing up, there's a nice symphonic score being broadcast through the ships' external speakers.
QG wrote:Today, we have elaborate GPS systems in our cars to help us find our way home. In the time of Columbus, explorers and travelers depended on the stars or hand-made compasses to show them where they were going. What must be present in a compass for it to work properly?
The given answer is "a magnet" (though magnetic needle or magnetized needle are acceptable) ... makes me glad I've got GPS.
QG wrote:The proverb "slow and steady wins the race", comes from one of Aesop's fables. What animal lost the race in this story?
The only redeeming part of this question is that it was in the replacement packet, and hopefully was never used in actual competition.
QG wrote:Honeybees are social insects and each bee belongs to one of three groups: queens, drones, or workers. Older workers are called field bees, and they are responsible for gathering the two food sources used by honeybees. One food source is flower nectar. What is the other food source?
I like this question because it does eventually get to the point .... kind of like getting on a plane to O'Hare, and after stopping over in 4-5 airports, you eventually get home. It is an adventure!
QG wrote:This animal is one of the strangest creatures in Australia, with its tail and fur like those of a beaver, and its bill and webbed feet like those of a duck. What is this mammal that lays eggs outside its body, has four legs that extend horizontally from its body, and makes a sound like a growling puppy
I'm glad the growling puppy clue was added at the end ... y'know, in case no one got it by then .... best lead in award nominee.
QG wrote:An airplane is flying overhead. It starts to fly faster than the speed of sound and squashes the air in front of it, generating a shock wave that is heard as an explosive sound below. What is the two-word term used to describe this sound?
I would have answered: really-loud ... though that is too obvious.

Great opening clues:
QG wrote:She was the British ruling monarch in 1564 .....
QG wrote:This phrase was coined by Joseph Heller .....
QG wrote:This Egyptian sculpture .....
QG wrote:What red haired, braided heroine did Swedish author .....
QG wrote:What sister company of Freddie Mac .....
QG wrote:This famous painting is memorable due to its soft melting watches .....
QG wrote:This is the only crime that is defined in the U.S. Constitution .....
QG wrote:This website contains more than 10 million articles .....
QG wrote:This cabbage-based salad's name .....
QG wrote:Named for the pair who discovered radium .....
QG wrote:This future president gained fame at the Battle of Tippecanoe .....
QG wrote:What is the name of the pensive Rodin masterpiece .....
QG wrote:This large citrus fruit grows in clusters like grapes .....
QG wrote:This five-foot-tall woman was the famous markswoman in Buffalo Bill's .....
My personal favorite ..... in the category "SCIENCE -- General Science"
QG wrote:This is your 'sign' if you were born between November 23rd and December 21st. What is this sign of the zodiac represented by an archer?
:shock: :mad: :sad: :cry:
jonah
Auron

Re: Lowlights from the IESA Regionals ....

Post by jonah »

Man, the IHSA questions ask about yield signs, and the IESA questions ask about zodiac signs?
Jonah Greenthal
National Academic Quiz Tournaments
rjaguar3
Rikku

Post by rjaguar3 »

Thanks for the material. I'll have to use this sometime when I am writing my Questions Galore parody packet.
Greg (Vanderbilt 2012, Wheaton North 2008)
rjaguar3
Rikku

Post by rjaguar3 »

Tegan wrote: I like this question because it does eventually get to the point .... kind of like getting on a plane to O'Hare, and after stopping over in 4-5 airports, you eventually get home. It is an adventure!
It's an experience we'd rather not repeat.
the return of AHAN
Auron

Post by the return of AHAN »

jonah wrote:Man, the IHSA questions ask about yield signs, and the IESA questions ask about zodiac signs?
[insert Five Man Electrical Band reference here]
Jeff Price
Barrington High School Coach (2021 & 2023 HSNCT Champions, 2023 PACE Champions, 2023 Illinois Masonic Bowl Class 3A State Champions)
Barrington Station Middle School Coach (2013 MSNCT Champions, 2013 & 2017 Illinois Class AA State Champions)
------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Tegan
Coach of AHAN Jr.

Post by Tegan »

rjaguar3 wrote:Thanks for the material. I'll have to use this sometime when I am writing my Questions Galore parody packet.
How can you parody something that would need to be vastly improved to reach the level of a parody itself?
the return of AHAN
Auron

PRE-SECTIONALS TO-DO LIST
*Newspapers.... Must get all the resource I can lay my hands on about newspapers so we can pwn the new literature canon....
*Get Anish to memorize perfect squares of 3.5, 4.5, 6.5, 7.5, etc.
*Find an almanac or something with every state's state bird, flower, etc. and not just Illinois...
Jeff Price
Barrington High School Coach (2021 & 2023 HSNCT Champions, 2023 PACE Champions, 2023 Illinois Masonic Bowl Class 3A State Champions)
Barrington Station Middle School Coach (2013 MSNCT Champions, 2013 & 2017 Illinois Class AA State Champions)
Stained Diviner
Auron

Post by Stained Diviner »

To square a half number, you multiply the two whole numbers it is between and add 1/4. So, 3.5^2=(3)(4)+0.25=12.25. Similarly, 4.5^2=(4)(5)+0.25=20.25.
David Reinstein
Head Writer and Editor for Scobol Solo, Masonics, and IESA; TD for Scobol Solo and Reinstein Varsity; IHSSBCA Board Member; IHSSBCA Chair (2004-2014); PACE President (2016-2018)
at your pleasure
Auron

Post by at your pleasure »

QG wrote:
This Egyptian sculpture .....
"BUZZ! The Narmer Palette."
Douglas Graebner, Walt Whitman HS 10, Uchicago 14
"... imagination acts upon man as really as does gravitation, and may kill him as certainly as a dose of prussic acid."-Sir James Frazer,The Golden Bough

http://avorticistking.wordpress.com/
Tegan
Coach of AHAN Jr.

Post by Tegan »

Anti-Climacus wrote:
QG wrote:
This Egyptian sculpture .....
"BUZZ! The Narmer Palette."
Clearly, you have never played Questions Galore questions
at your pleasure
Auron

Post by at your pleasure »

It was supposed to be a "given a lead-in giveaway, buzz in with an obscure answer that also fits the clue" joke. Unless QG would actually toss up the Narmer Palette, in which case I am even more disturbed.
Douglas Graebner, Walt Whitman HS 10, Uchicago 14
"... imagination acts upon man as really as does gravitation, and may kill him as certainly as a dose of prussic acid."-Sir James Frazer,The Golden Bough

http://avorticistking.wordpress.com/
rjaguar3
Rikku

Post by rjaguar3 »

Anti-Climacus wrote:
It was supposed to be a "given a lead-in giveaway, buzz in with an obscure answer that also fits the clue" joke. Unless QG would actually toss up the Narmer Palette, in which case I am even more disturbed.
At least twice, they have tossed-up answers that have never appeared in any other high school or collegiate packet.
Tegan
Coach of AHAN Jr.

Post by Tegan »

Anti-Climacus wrote:
Nah ..... I get that it was a joke ..... QG questions are as maddening to read as they must be to play on. It was sad as a moderator to see good kids ring in and get hosed down by an awful question.

My bad ... my post probably sounded a little too stern.
the return of AHAN
Auron

Tegan wrote:
Anti-Climacus wrote:
Nah ..... I get that it was a joke ..... QG questions are as maddening to read as they must be to play on. It was sad as a moderator to see good kids ring in and get hosed down by an awful question.

My bad ... my post probably sounded a little too stern.
My players were greatly amused by your apologies whenever a player got hosed or a TU went dead. :smile:
Jeff Price