HS tournament at RPI

Dormant threads from the high school sections are preserved here.
Ondes Martenot
Tidus

HS tournament at RPI

Post by Ondes Martenot »

So we're thinking of hosting a high school tournament sometime next year and were wondering what the interest level would be. For those who don't know, RPI is about 3 hours from Boston and about 2.5 hours from the NYC area. I really can't give you any specifics of the format, but it would probably be NAQT or HSAPQ format, with a non-zero chance of mirroring a house-written tournament or something like that. Anyway, let me know if you'd be interested.

p.s. There is some sort of quiz bowl TV league in Albany so even if there wasn't a lot of interest on this board, we might still have the tournament if we can get enough of these teams to show up.
Aaron Cohen, Bergen County Academies '08, RPI '12, NYU-???, NAQT writer, HSAPQ writer, PACE writer
First Chairman
Auron

Re: HS tournament at RPI

Post by First Chairman »

If I remember, there was a small TV-based set of teams between Rochester and Albany. I don't remember how good they were, but it was difficult in the pre-Web 2.0 days to get any interest (to Cleveland). That said, I don't know if there was any success at Cornell or any central NY programs on this.
Emil Thomas Chuck, Ph.D.
Founder, PACE
Facebook junkie and unofficial advisor to aspiring health professionals in quiz bowl
---
Pimping Green Tea Ginger Ale (Canada Dry)
SHP Pirate
Rikku

Post by SHP Pirate »

Aaron,

Contact me off the board. There is a school in the area (Doldgeville SP?) which hosts an annual tournament called "Geek Wars". That might be a good place to start. Also, in the Ithaca area there are a number of teams playing in an annual tournament hosted at Tompkins Cortland Community College by Brooks Sanders. I will be happy to give you all the information I have.

Get a date together and we will try to come.

Pax,

- MTZ
Michael T. Zinsmeister
Director of Admission
Seton Hall Preparatory School
West Orange, NJ
Theory Of The Leisure Flask
Yuna

Post by Theory Of The Leisure Flask »

First Chairman wrote:If I remember, there was a small TV-based set of teams between Rochester and Albany. I don't remember how good they were, but it was difficult in the pre-Web 2.0 days to get any interest (to Cleveland). That said, I don't know if there was any success at Cornell or any central NY programs on this.
I knew a couple folks who played in the Rochester competition- they used CBI questions, and CBCI was accordingly promoted at those events.

Between them and Chip's Westchester stronghold, that's a lot of entrenched institutional support for bad quizbowl in NY...
Chris White
Bloomfield HS (New Jersey) '01, Swarthmore College '05, University of Pennsylvania '10. Still writes questions occasionally.
Wall of Ham
Rikku

Post by Wall of Ham »

I have a huge email list of NY quizbowl coaches that is partially combined from NAQT sources, other QB sources, and me looking up the school websites of those that played Masterminds(that TV show) and trying to find the emails of their listed quizbowl coach.

Email me at cuquizbowl at gmail if you want that.
Barry
Cornell
Ondes Martenot
Tidus

Post by Ondes Martenot »

Hey, so an update on information I've gather on this tournament:

I talked to my Union and they seem to like the idea, so we will definitely be going ahead with this. There seems to be enough interest from teams in the area that we should have a fairly large field.

Right now October 17th is looking like a good date, although that is not set in stone. If anyone knows right off the bat that this is a bad date, let me know ASAP. We'll probably be using NAQT or HSAPQ questions with a basic tournament format and pricing structure.
Aaron Cohen, Bergen County Academies '08, RPI '12, NYU-???, NAQT writer, HSAPQ writer, PACE writer