Fall High School Novice Tournament?

Dormant threads from the high school sections are preserved here.
Blackboard Monitor Vimes
Auron

Re: Fall High School Novice Tournament?

Post by Blackboard Monitor Vimes »

everyday847 wrote:
MLWGS-Gir wrote:So your "distribution editors" are basically the group of subdistro editors for that subject who act as a second pair of eyes for each other. Am I getting this, Andy, or is it more complicated than that? As I understand it, it sounds like an excellent idea.

I would prefer to edit American Lit, World Lit, Brit/Euro Lit, Visual Art, Mythology, Religion, or any combo of those. I am also willing to edit trash if no one else would like to. I don't have a particular preference for any of those listed over another, with the exception that Religion is last on my list.

edit: added preference
That's one way to think of it, at least. I was illustrating it for the case where the science distro editors (Cameron and Zhao) are also probably going to subdistro-edit something in science. Suppose Cameron's doing math and Zhao chem; their role as distro editors isn't just to collaborate on editing everyone else's bio/physics/other sci; their role includes editing the other person's stuff.

Alternatively, we could just tell all the subdistro editors in a field (in the big three, at least) to act collaboratively; they first edit their category, and then reality check everyone else. (The reason I'm not sure about this is because being a subdistro editor should involve less of a commitment, and moreover because that would give someone editing bio, world lit, and world history the responsibility to at least check other people's work in twelve categories--that's not feasible.)
I think we've managed to confuse each other now, Andy. My interpretation wouldn't have a subdistro editor checking over everyone else in that distro, just one or so depending on how broken down a category is. I understand what you were saying now, though, and given enough subdistro editors it's roughly equivalent to what I was trying to say.

At Aidan: I don't really see a way for you to help without forcing someone's schedule to have a bye, which would be unfortunate. Perhaps you could assist Charlie in sending nagging emails about deadlines? Beyond that, I don't know.
Sam L,
Maggie L. Walker Governor's School 2010 / UVA 2014 / VCU School of Education 2016
PACE
Kouign Amann
Forums Staff: Moderator

Post by Kouign Amann »

MLWGS-Gir wrote:
At Aidan: I don't really see a way for you to help without forcing someone's schedule to have a bye, which would be unfortunate. Perhaps you could assist Charlie in sending nagging emails about deadlines? Beyond that, I don't know.
Yeah, I think I'll just settle for playing this one. Maybe in a few years. Good luck, guys.
Aidan Mehigan
St. Anselm's Abbey School '12
Columbia University '16 | University of Oxford '17 | UPenn GSE '19
Sen. Estes Kefauver (D-TN)
Chairman of Anti-Music Mafia Committee

Post by Sen. Estes Kefauver (D-TN) »

Yeah, Aiden, if this gets off the ground then next year when you're out of the range for this kind of tournament I would definitely encourage you to get involved in writing for a future incarnation.
Charlie Dees, North Kansas City HS '08
"I won't say more because I know some of you parse everything I say." - Jeremy Gibbs

"At one TJ tournament the neg prize was the Hampshire College ultimate frisbee team (nude) calender featuring one Evan Silberman. In retrospect that could have been a disaster." - Harry White
intothenegs
Wakka

Post by intothenegs »

I'm too lazy to look through all the posts made before me, but if no one's expressed interest in editing geography I'd certainly be willing to do that (though I've never really had experience editing).
Chuhern Hwang
James Monroe High School Class of 2009
University of Virginia Class of 2013
Whiter Hydra
Auron

Post by Whiter Hydra »

i might be able to do some freelance stuff, though that depends on how my schedule for the summer works out.
Harry White
TJHSST '09, Virginia Tech '13

Owner of Tournament Database Search and Quizbowl Schedule Generator
Will run stats for food
Mechanical Beasts
Banned Cheater

Post by Mechanical Beasts »

Jeremy Gibbs Free Energy wrote:Yeah, Aiden, if this gets off the ground then next year when you're out of the range for this kind of tournament I would definitely encourage you to get involved in writing for a future incarnation.
And it's never too early to play ACF Fall.
Andrew Watkins
Joshua Rutsky
Tidus

Post by Joshua Rutsky »

I'd like to volunteer Hoover High to host the Southeastern Mirror of this tourney. I'm also happy to write lit questions.
Joshua Rutsky
VP for Curriculum and Camp Operations, Qwiz
ASCA Board Member
Hoover High School Coach (Retired)
Kouign Amann

Post by Kouign Amann »

everyday847 wrote:
Jeremy Gibbs Free Energy wrote:Yeah, Aiden, if this gets off the ground then next year when you're out of the range for this kind of tournament I would definitely encourage you to get involved in writing for a future incarnation.
This has actually crossed my mind before. Is this in any way a good idea?
Aidan Mehigan
Blackboard Monitor Vimes
Auron

Prof.Whoopie wrote:
everyday847 wrote:
This has actually crossed my mind before. Is this in any way a good idea?
I played ACF Fall my sophomore year and greatly enjoyed it. Bring a notebook and write things down and you'll learn a lot. Plus, the high school discount is fairly substantial.
Sam L,
Maggie L. Walker Governor's School 2010 / UVA 2014 / VCU School of Education 2016
PACE
Mechanical Beasts
Banned Cheater

I don't think it's unreasonable to say that ACF Fall 2008 was around the difficulty of PACE NSC (at times and in some subjects easier, at times and in some subjects harder); if you'd be comfortable playing a high school national tournament, there's no reason why not to play ACF Fall. (And a great way to find out, after all, whether it would be good for you to play the tournament is to read past Fall packets.)
Andrew Watkins
Kouign Amann

Post by Kouign Amann »

everyday847 wrote:I don't think it's unreasonable to say that ACF Fall 2008 was around the difficulty of PACE NSC (at times and in some subjects easier, at times and in some subjects harder); if you'd be comfortable playing a high school national tournament, there's no reason why not to play ACF Fall. (And a great way to find out, after all, whether it would be good for you to play the tournament is to read past Fall packets.)
I am now seriously considering this idea. I have been using Fall as my personal study materials lately, and I think I could convert most of the tossups against empty chairs, and some substantially earlier, so it doesn't sound like it would be too hard to maybe do well in a few games.
Aidan Mehigan
Mechanical Beasts
Banned Cheater

Prof.Whoopie wrote:
everyday847 wrote:I don't think it's unreasonable to say that ACF Fall 2008 was around the difficulty of PACE NSC (at times and in some subjects easier, at times and in some subjects harder); if you'd be comfortable playing a high school national tournament, there's no reason why not to play ACF Fall. (And a great way to find out, after all, whether it would be good for you to play the tournament is to read past Fall packets.)
I am now seriously considering this idea. I have been using Fall as my personal study materials lately, and I think I could convert most of the tossups against empty chairs, and some substantially earlier, so it doesn't sound like it would be too hard to maybe do well in a few games.
Sure: and even if that weren't the case, I'd still suggest going to Fall just because it's good to spend some time at the edges of your competence. Maybe you can answer fewer than half of ACF Winter tossups against empty chairs: you might go 1-9 on the day, but you'd learn a ton, particularly if you write things down. And a whole lot of bonus parts (for example) will show up in high school tossups that you play all the time.
Andrew Watkins
Kouign Amann

Post by Kouign Amann »

everyday847 wrote:
Prof.Whoopie wrote:
Sure: and even if that weren't the case, I'd still suggest going to Fall just because it's good to spend some time at the edges of your competence. Maybe you can answer fewer than half of ACF Winter tossups against empty chairs: you might go 1-9 on the day, but you'd learn a ton, particularly if you write things down. And a whole lot of bonus parts (for example) will show up in high school tossups that you play all the time.
Sweet. Thanks for the advice.
Aidan Mehigan
AlphaQuizBowler
Tidus

Post by AlphaQuizBowler »

MLWGS-Gir wrote:
AlphaQuizBowler wrote:I'd volunteer to contribute up to a packet; my stronger points are lit and fine arts. Also, doesn't Guarav's suggestion have 21/21? My suggestion would be to move the extra 1/1 to art, giving it 3/3 like in ACF. Of course, there might not be that much art to ask at that level.
We tried 3/3 art for HAVOC I. It did not go over well.
Rereading Round 1 of HAVOC 1, I'm not overly impressed by the art. I don't think Death of Socrates is tossupable at this level, and the School of Athens TU has few useful clues.

The bonuses are characterized by very short and almost nondescriptive prompts:
1) There are three figures in this Edvard Munch work, although only one is usually noted.
A: The Scream
1) In this 1770 painting, the titular figure stands in a field wearing a certain color.
A: The Blue Boy
Also, unless I'm miscounting something, the fine arts distribution is like this:
Round 1: 4/4
Round 2: 5/4
Round 3: 4/4
Round 4: 3/3

I would even agree that's too much.
William
Alpharetta High School '11
Harvard '15
Blackboard Monitor Vimes
Auron

AlphaQuizBowler wrote:
MLWGS-Gir wrote:
AlphaQuizBowler wrote:I'd volunteer to contribute up to a packet; my stronger points are lit and fine arts. Also, doesn't Guarav's suggestion have 21/21? My suggestion would be to move the extra 1/1 to art, giving it 3/3 like in ACF. Of course, there might not be that much art to ask at that level.
We tried 3/3 art for HAVOC I. It did not go over well.
Rereading Round 1 of HAVOC 1, I'm not overly impressed by the art. I don't think Death of Socrates is tossupable at this level, and the School of Athens TU has few useful clues.

The bonuses are characterized by very short and almost nondescriptive prompts:
1) There are three figures in this Edvard Munch work, although only one is usually noted.
A: The Scream
1) In this 1770 painting, the titular figure stands in a field wearing a certain color.
A: The Blue Boy
Also, unless I'm miscounting something, the fine arts distribution is like this:
Round 1: 4/4
Round 2: 5/4
Round 3: 4/4
Round 4: 3/3

I would even agree that's too much.
Yeah, weird things happened with that somehow in terms of the final art distribution. It was supposed to be 3/3, and yeah, some of them ended up pretty bad. The four of us who were the main writers of HAVOC I (Cameron, Greg, Tommy, and myself) have learned a lot since then. I'm still convinced 3/3 is too much, since there just isn't enough art that's askable at this level.
Sam L,
PACE
lagazzaladra
Lulu

Post by lagazzaladra »

TJ would like to write a middle school tournament next year, although depending on the number of interested middle schools in the area, we may expand the field to include 9th graders also. Would these two tournaments conflict with each other, or could we possibly collaborate on one tournament?
Seoup Youn
TJHSST 2011
Blackboard Monitor Vimes
Auron

lagazzaladra wrote:TJ would like to write a middle school tournament next year, although depending on the number of interested middle schools in the area, we may expand the field to include 9th graders also. Would these two tournaments conflict with each other, or could we possibly collaborate on one tournament?
A middle school tournament would probably need to go easier than what we'll be aiming for and might need a slightly different distribution, although I'll admit my only experience with middle school qb is the occasional game against Longfellow, so I could quite easily be wrong. When it comes time to schedule things, if you're allowing ninth graders we'll need to aim for different weekends.
Sam L,
PACE
Gautam
Auron

Post by Gautam »

Hey,

This thread seems to be getting derailed a bit, so I was wondering if people who're interested in working on this want to setup a private forum for communications. I just set one up for fun, so if people definitely want to move the discussion over there, I can post the link for you to register on that discussion board.

GK
Gautam - ACF
Currently tending to the 'quizbowl hobo' persuasion.
Blackboard Monitor Vimes
Auron

gkandlikar wrote:Hey,

This thread seems to be getting derailed a bit, so I was wondering if people who're interested in working on this want to setup a private forum for communications. I just set one up for fun, so if people definitely want to move the discussion over there, I can post the link for you to register on that discussion board.

GK
This seems like a good way to keep better track of things. Thanks, Gautam.
Sam L,
PACE
Gautam
Auron

Post by Gautam »

http://s1.zetaboards.com/2009_Fall_HS_Novice/index/

Please use an email address which I can clearly associate with someone (eg. some combination of your names) You will receive a validation email and will have to be approved by me as well. If for some reason you haven't been approved within 48 hours, contact me at gkandlikar @ gmail dot com so I can figure things out.

Also, we all will have to live those stupid ads. Adblock Plus seems to be working okay with removing those ads on Firefox.

Gautam

EDIT:

Forget the above stuff. Just ask for access if you want to work on this. Make sure you have posted here or somehow communicated with me before asking for access.
Last edited by Gautam on Wed Apr 08, 2009 11:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Gautam - ACF
Matt Weiner
Sin

Post by Matt Weiner »

If you guys want a private forum on HSQB I can set that up for you.
Matt Weiner
Advisor to Quizbowl at Virginia Commonwealth University / Founder of hsquizbowl.org
Blackboard Monitor Vimes
Auron

Matt Weiner wrote:If you guys want a private forum on HSQB I can set that up for you.
That might be easier. Thanks, Matt. Thoughts, Gautam? (or others)?
Sam L,
PACE
cvdwightw
Auron

Post by cvdwightw »

Let me know if this kind of production model makes sense:

Ethereal Level: Overseers
Overseers are responsible for making sure that the tournament is completed in a timely manner, and that all questions meet difficulty and length standards. They will respond to questions from Writers or Editors in a timely manner. They will each individually have a good grasp of most subjects at the high school novice level, and collectively they will have a good grasp of all subjects at that level. Overseers should be college players or coaches, who have significant experience producing good tournaments. The Overseer position is that of a volunteer advisor. There is no limit on the number of Overseers, but each year there should be at least one.

Top Level: Chief Editors
The three Chief Editors are responsible for assigning questions to writers, compiling the final packets, communicating with Overseers to make final judgments on the acceptability of questions or clues, and handling communication about the set, both internally and externally (i.e. among both writers and potential mirror sites). They will catch and replace repeats spanning two or more categories. They will make sure that the difficulty of the set is consistent between categories, e.g., that the science is not systematically harder than the literature. All decisions of the Chief Editors are final, though important decisions should not be made without consulting at least one of the Overseers. The Chief Editors should all be high school juniors and seniors, who have some previous experience editing good high school tournaments.

Second Level: Category Editors
The Category Editors are responsible for editing questions within a specific category. They will assign subcategories and give advice to Subcategory Editors, revise any questions edited by the Subcategory Editors that need additional revision, and ensure that difficulty is consistent within the category. They will catch and replace repeats within their category, and submit the final set of questions in their category to the Chief Editors for compiling. There may be up to two Category Editors in each of the major categories (literature, history, science) and one Category Editor in each of the minor categories (religion/mythology, arts, other academic (e.g. SS/P/Geo), trash/CE/GK). The Category Editors make subdistributional decisions, e.g., the science Category Editors decide how much of each minor science is to be written for the tournament, to be approved by the Chief Editors. The Category Editors should all be high school or college students, who have some previous experience writing good questions, though previous editing experience is not a prerequisite.

Third Level: Subcategory Editors
The Subcategory Editors are responsible for editing questions within a specific subcategory and submitting them for review to the Category Editors. They will catch and replace repeats within their subcategory. Subcategory Editors will pursue delinquent questions in their subcategories. The Subcategory Editors should all be high school or college students; writing and editing experience is not necessary, only a good grasp of the subcategory.

Bottom Level: Writers
The writers are responsible for producing the raw material for this tournament - pristine, unedited questions. Writers will make their preferences known (both in categories, and number of total questions to write) to the Chief Editors, who will assign them questions and a due date by which to complete these questions once distributional and subdistributional requirements have been finalized. They will complete their assignment(s) by the assigned dates. Anyone in any way involved with quizbowl can become a writer by letting the Chief Editors know of their desire to produce questions for this set.

With the exception of the Ethereal Level, having a position at one level requires concurrently occupying positions at all levels below it. Chief Editors must also be Category Editors, Subcategory Editors, and Writers; Category Editors must also be Subcategory Editors and Writers; Subcategory Editors must also be Writers.

Future Years:
If this gets off the ground for future years, Editors who are no longer in high school may volunteer as Overseers.
In future years, two Chief Editors will be retained/promoted from the Chief Editor/Category Editor/Subcategory Editor ranks; the third can be either promoted from within the ranks or brought in from outside/the Writer pool, as long as the individual has a reputation for having edited at least one well-received tournament.
In future years, Chief Editors will be elected from a list of volunteers by the previous year's Writer pool, with three votes per writer. If two or more eligible candidates tie for the last Chief Editor spot(s), then there will be a runoff where each Writer votes for as many Chief Editors as there are available Chief Editor spots.
In future years, Chief Editors will select the Category Editors from a list of volunteers in each category. Volunteering for more than one Category Editor spot is allowed; such volunteers should indicate their order of preference. Chief Editors will take into account reputation for punctuality, quality of questions, etc. in determine the Category Editor lineup. Every effort should be made to include as many Category Editors as possible.
In future years, Category Editors will select the Subcategory Editors in their categories from a list of volunteers in each subcategory. Volunteering for more than two Subcategory Editor spots is allowed; such volunteers should indicate their order of preference. The final Subcategory Editor lineup will be approved by the Chief Editors, who will mostly make sure that no one is serving in more than two Subcategory Editor spots. Every effort should be made to include as many Subcategory Editors as possible.
New writers are encouraged to volunteer for Chief Editor/Category Editor/Subcategory Editor spots, but will not receive a vote in the Chief Editor election.

Since we have so many people signing on that want to edit and stuff, I am proposing the following:
3 Chief Editors
Between 7 and 10 Category Editors (1-2 literature, 1-2 science, 1-2 history, 1 arts, 1 religion/mythology, 1 social science/philosophy/geography, 1 trash/CE)
Between 11 and 44 Subcategory Editors (American Literature, British Literature, European Literature, World Literature, American History, post-1500 European History, World History, Ancient/Medieval History, Biology, Chemistry, Physics, Math/CS, Earth Science/Astronomy, Visual Arts, Music, Religion, Mythology, Social Science, Philosophy, Geography, Pop Culture, Current Events) - up to 2 Subcategory Editors per subcategory, each person can serve as a Subcategory Editor in up to 2 categories
As many writers as want to volunteer

The purpose of this large stratification is to quickly develop competent writers and editors at a level where most people are comfortable with the answer space. If such a conglomerate gets off the ground for more than one year, then it provides a mechanism by which newer writers can ascend the "power structure" as old ones become less involved. It is also notable in that the Chief Editors will all be high school students, but it will involve interested high school players/college players/coaches/community members.
Dwight Wynne
socalquizbowl.org
UC Irvine 2008-2013; UCLA 2004-2007; Capistrano Valley High School 2000-2003

"It's a competition, but it's not a sport. On a scale, if football is a 10, then rowing would be a two. One would be Quiz Bowl." --Matt Birk on rowing, SI On Campus, 10/21/03

"If you were my teammate, I would have tossed your ass out the door so fast you'd be emitting Cerenkov radiation, but I'm not classy like Dwight." --Jerry
Gautam
Auron

Post by Gautam »

cvdwightw wrote:Let me know if this kind of production model makes sense:
A lot of it. It seems to require a lot of people, though.

A private forum on these boards also works.
Gautam - ACF
Matt Weiner
Sin

Post by Matt Weiner »

gkandlikar wrote:

I have set up a forum accessible only to members of the group "Fall HS Novice Tournament" with Gautam as the leader of that group. The way this should work is people request to join the group and Gautam approves them.

If something's not working, or if you can see that forum and aren't supposed to, let me know.
Matt Weiner
Advisor to Quizbowl at Virginia Commonwealth University / Founder of hsquizbowl.org

I want access.
"I won't say more because I know some of you parse everything I say." - Jeremy Gibbs

"At one TJ tournament the neg prize was the Hampshire College ultimate frisbee team (nude) calender featuring one Evan Silberman. In retrospect that could have been a disaster." - Harry White
cvdwightw
Auron

Post by cvdwightw »

gkandlikar wrote:

One of my beliefs about this project is that (if it takes off in this and future years) it should not just be a project for the betterment of JV quizbowl across the nation, but a largely high-school-student-run enterprise that allows for lots of high schoolers to improve their editing skills by working on a level, (a) subject(s), and a workload that they should be mostly comfortable with. I believe there are lots of high schoolers out there that are interested in improving their writing/editing skills, but either they don't have the time/knowledge to work on a huge chunk of the tournament, they don't have the confidence/experience/knowledge necessary to produce a good tournament, or they don't have the teammate/coach support to get them through the tough times that inevitably accompany any tournament production. A project like this would allow for many high school/newer college players to get on board to get some editing experience, which I believe will exponentially increase the quantity and quality of good high school tournaments as those players start (or continue) writing for housewrites/NAQT/HSAPQ.

Obviously we can decrease the number of Chief/Category/Subcategory Editors if it makes more sense to have a smaller editorial staff.

I will sign up for a small amount of writing (I can write just about any subject at this level with varying degrees of competence) and, I suppose, yet another Overseer position, but as I believe that this should be mostly produced by high schoolers and younger college students, I will not take on any editing jobs unless needed.
Jeremy Gibbs Free Energy wrote:I want access.
User Control Panel -> User Groups -> Fall Novice Tournament (click the radio button, then hit submit) -> Yes, you want to request membership in the group
Dwight Wynne
socalquizbowl.org

"It's a competition, but it's not a sport. On a scale, if football is a 10, then rowing would be a two. One would be Quiz Bowl." --Matt Birk on rowing, SI On Campus, 10/21/03

"If you were my teammate, I would have tossed your ass out the door so fast you'd be emitting Cerenkov radiation, but I'm not classy like Dwight." --Jerry
Mechanical Beasts
Banned Cheater

cvdwightw wrote:I will sign up for a small amount of writing (I can write just about any subject at this level with varying degrees of competence) and, I suppose, yet another Overseer position, but as I believe that this should be mostly produced by high schoolers and younger college students, I will not take on any editing jobs unless needed.
So, like, I don't want the Overseers writing unless absolutely necessary; I don't want college students (for the most part) writing at all. You're absolutely correct; this is a high school endeavor and it's their job to run things. If and when things go wrong and there's two weeks to go and n/n is unwritten, it's great to have a stable of a dozen college people who have been performing (and training high schoolers in) various administrative duties since day one who can each write 5/5 that night and finish the tournament and have a laugh about it. But this should not have many college writers at all starting out. (Especially not you or Donald, who write for tons of high school things already.)
Andrew Watkins

Yes.

Mechanical Beasts
Banned Cheater

Also, I am an overseer and I am lazy, so I proclaim that our job is not to write. Boom.
Andrew Watkins
cvdwightw
Auron

Post by cvdwightw »

everyday847 wrote:Also, I am an overseer and I am lazy, so I proclaim that our job is not to write. Boom.
I can subscribe to this logic.
Dwight Wynne
socalquizbowl.org

Nuclear Densometer Test
Wakka

Post by Nuclear Densometer Test »

I would love to help out with this.
I can write questions on mostly everything.
Amit Bilgi
Southside '11

Fun fact: The "l" comes before the "g" in my last name.
at your pleasure
Auron

Post by at your pleasure »

I have set up a forum accessible only to members of the group "Fall HS Novice Tournament" with Gautam as the leader of that group. The way this should work is people request to join the group and Gautam approves them.
User Control Panel -> User Groups -> Fall Novice Tournament (click the radio button, then hit submit) -> Yes, you want to request membership in the group
My apologies if you are aware of this already.
Douglas Graebner, Walt Whitman HS 10, Uchicago 14
"... imagination acts upon man as really as does gravitation, and may kill him as certainly as a dose of prussic acid."-Sir James Frazer,The Golden Bough

http://avorticistking.wordpress.com/
Mechanical Beasts
Banned Cheater

Anti-Climacus wrote:
Could you explain what you mean in the form of explaining what you mean instead of quoting text off the forums and Matt's words without explanation? That way maybe we can help you.
Andrew Watkins
Auks Ran Ova
Forums Staff: Chief Administrator

Post by Auks Ran Ova »

everyday847 wrote:
Anti-Climacus wrote:
Could you explain what you mean in the form of explaining what you mean instead of quoting text off the forums and Matt's words without explanation? That way maybe we can help you.
I think he was (somewhat opaquely) explaining to Amit how to join the tournament-writing project.
Rob Carson
University of Minnesota '11, MCTC '??, BHSU forever
Member, ACF
Member emeritus, PACE
Writer and Editor, NAQT
at your pleasure
Auron

Post by at your pleasure »

I think he was (somewhat opaquely) explaining to Amit how to join the tournament-writing project
This is correct.
Douglas Graebner, Walt Whitman HS 10, Uchicago 14
"... imagination acts upon man as really as does gravitation, and may kill him as certainly as a dose of prussic acid."-Sir James Frazer,The Golden Bough

http://avorticistking.wordpress.com/
Frater Taciturnus
Auron

Post by Frater Taciturnus »

Any one who is not on the following list who wants to write for this event needs to email me in the next 48 hours.

Sarah Angelo
George Berry
Zhao Zhang
Chuhern Hwang
Gaurav Kandlikar
Donald Taylor
Nick Petrilli
Jonah Greenthal
Neil Fitzgerald
Charlie Rosenthal
Cameron Orth
Sandy Huang
Doug Graebner
William Horton
Harry White
Graham Moyer

EDIT: my email can be found at the email button on all my posts.
Last edited by Frater Taciturnus on Tue May 05, 2009 11:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Janet Berry
[email protected]
she/they
--------------
J. Sargeant Reynolds CC 2008, 2009, 2014
Virginia Commonwealth 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013,
Douglas Freeman 2005, 2006, 2007
Gautam
Auron

Post by Gautam »

I am pretty sure Amit from Southside asked for access to the forum a couple of days ago, and has been granted access. It seems that he wants to write, too.
Gautam - ACF
master15625
Rikku

Post by master15625 »

Frater Taciturnus wrote:Any one who is not on the following list who wants to write for this event needs to email me in the next 48 hours.

Sarah Angelo
George Berry
Zhao Zhang
Chuhern Hwang
Gaurav Kandlikar
Donald Taylor
Nick Petrilli
Jonah Greenthal
Neil Fitzgerald
Charlie Rosenthal
Cameron Orth
Sandy Huang
Doug Graebner
William Horton
Harry White
Graham Moyer
I would like to help for this event if I can, but I don't know your email address. I can definitely write a packet for this tournament.
Neil Gurram
'10 DCDS
'15 MIT
'16 MIT
Mechanical Beasts
Banned Cheater

master15625 wrote:I would like to help for this event if I can, but I don't know your email address. I can definitely write a packet for this tournament.
We wouldn't be having you write a packet; rather, we'd give you a specific writing assignment playing to your strengths in writing. Email me at [email protected] if you're still interested.
Andrew Watkins
Nuclear Densometer Test
Wakka

Post by Nuclear Densometer Test »

gkandlikar wrote:I am pretty sure Amit from Southside asked for access to the forum a couple of days ago, and has been granted access. It seems that he wants to write, too.
That is correct.
Amit Bilgi
Southside '11

Fun fact: The "l" comes before the "g" in my last name.
Gautam
Auron

Post by Gautam »

Hey, I am not accepting any more requests to join the writing team. There are a bunch of members on board now, and things should start gaining momentum soon.

Gautam
Gautam - ACF
... and the chaos of Mexican modernity
Rikku

Post by ... and the chaos of Mexican modernity »

Two questions

1. How many lines should each TU be?

2. Do you want to remain around the HAVOC difficulty range?
Zach Foster
North Myrtle Beach High School class of 2009
George Mason University class of 2013
Mechanical Beasts
Banned Cheater

Bakery, State, and Utopia wrote:Two questions

1. How many lines should each TU be?

2. Do you want to remain around the HAVOC difficulty range?
HAVOC's a good difficulty target, yes. And TUs don't need to be longer than five lines 12 point TNR with one-inch margins. The style guide that Charlie posted is very good for those questions.
Andrew Watkins
Joe Romersa
Rikku

Post by Joe Romersa »

If Zhao is an editor, does that mean RB gets first priority to host a SoCal mirror?
Alex Wang
Arcadia High '10
UCLA '14 or so
ihavenoidea
Rikku

Post by ihavenoidea »

I doubt our quizbowl team will be active enough to host this. If Arcadia wants to, they are more than welcome.
Zhao Zhang
Rancho Bernardo High School '09
Mechanical Beasts
Banned Cheater

ihavenoidea wrote:I doubt our quizbowl team will be active enough to host this. If Arcadia wants to, they are more than welcome.
Zhao's statement is imprecise; he's not necessarily giving Arcadia the go-ahead to host a mirror because that's outside of the system (to be announced shortly) for bidding for mirrors, et cetera. Rather, he means that RB won't be taking the priority that it would otherwise receive, so Arcadia, just like other area schools, will have the opportunity to host.
Andrew Watkins
ihavenoidea
Rikku

Post by ihavenoidea »

Edit by way of post: Arcadia will be more than welcome to submit a bid.
Zhao Zhang
Rancho Bernardo High School '09
... and the chaos of Mexican modernity
Rikku

Post by ... and the chaos of Mexican modernity »

All right so I am already at 6/6 regarding History, Geography, and RMP. Is this what I am limited to in subject writing, or can I write on more subjects?
I also would like to know if I could write more then 20/20 because I want some of my questions to be in the tournament. I can do like 30/30
Zach Foster
North Myrtle Beach High School class of 2009
George Mason University class of 2013
Terrible Shorts Depot
Yuna

Post by Terrible Shorts Depot »

Bakery, State, and Utopia wrote:All right so I am already at 6/6 regarding History, Geography, and RMP. Is this what I am limited to in subject writing, or can I write on more subjects?
I also would like to know if I could write more then 20/20 because I want some of my questions to be in the tournament. I can do like 30/30
Sweet, dude. Write as much as you want. We'll see what we can do with what you give us. While you're at it, send me any and all history and geography you've written at la2pgh03 AT gmail DOT com.
Charlie Rosenthal
Shady Side Academy '09
Carleton College '13
University of Pennsylvania '18