Seeking Mirrors: New Trier Varsity

Dormant threads from the high school sections are preserved here.
jonah
Auron

Seeking Mirrors: New Trier Varsity

Post by jonah »

Next year's New Trier Varsity will be held December 19, 2009, and I would love to have it mirrored at various locations throughout the country. Mirrors in early and mid-January would be okay.

The tournament will be ACF format. The distribution will be slightly different from the ACF distribution, but will not include any computational questions. For distribution details, feel free to contact me. We will be producing eleven or perhaps twelve packets plus replacements. I am the head editor and will be assisted by David Reinstein and Carlo Angiuli; other writers include Ben Cohen, Jack Glerum, Michael Jiang, Matt Laird, and Nick Matchen, though we may add more writers later. I have arranged the writing schedule in order to have a lot of time for editing, so I expect the end product to be excellent.

The difficulty level will be similar to that of last year's tournament (from which the questions are available), which is quite hard by Illinois standards; I'm not sure, though, how that stacks up against difficulty norms elsewhere in the country. Again, there won't be computation this time, and I also intend to put a seven-line cap on tossup length (with about six lines being the usual).

I'd love to have mirrors in as many areas as possible. If you are interested or prospectively interested in mirroring the tournament, or have any questions, please contact me at jonah at jonahgreenthal fullstop com. If you should happen to be interested in writing, that's awesome; do the same.

edited because email addresses aren't visible after all
Last edited by jonah on Tue Jul 28, 2009 2:28 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Jonah Greenthal
National Academic Quiz Tournaments
TheCzarMan
Tidus

Re: Seeking Mirrors: New Trier Varsity

Post by TheCzarMan »

I'd be interested in mirroring this at Montclair State, pending my starting a club there.
Nick Petrilli
Bloomfield High School 2009
Freelance/Mercenary Moderator, TD, Player, and Reader
Golran
Auron

Post by Golran »

I would express tentative interest in a UCLA mirror.
Drayer the Slayer
currently unaffiliated
Joe Romersa
Rikku

Post by Joe Romersa »

If UCLA hosts this, Arcadia is definately interested in attending.
These are the packets from ntsolo on #scobowl, right?
Alex Wang
Arcadia High '10
UCLA '14 or so
Stained Diviner
Auron

Post by Stained Diviner »

This is different. If somebody is interested in mirroring Solo in November, that's fine, but it's a different tournament. That will take place on November 7 this coming year.

To see questions from last year's New Trier Varsity, which will be December 19 this year, go here. As Jonah said above, this year's NTV, unlike previous years', will not have computational math--the distribution will be more in line with a typical mACF high school distribution (if there is such a thing). The exact line-up of writers changes from year to year, but there is some continuity, and I expect the question quality to be slightly better next year than it was this year.

I will play a smaller role with NTV than I did this year, though I will do some of the writing and editing, and I will continue to write Solo as I have in the past.
David Reinstein
Head Writer and Editor for Scobol Solo, Masonics, and IESA; TD for Scobol Solo and Reinstein Varsity; IHSSBCA Board Member; IHSSBCA Chair (2004-2014); PACE President (2016-2018)
leapfrog314
Wakka

Post by leapfrog314 »

I anticipate this will be an extremely high-quality (and difficult) high school tournament, and I hope you get a number of mirrors. Given the amount of effort going into the set, it really deserves mirroring, at any rate.
Carlo Angiuli, Indiana University
Director, Aegis Questions, Inc.
jonah
Auron

Post by jonah »

We're still looking for mirrors at a price of $12 per team. (We don't want the price to deter anyone from mirroring it; if it's an issue, talk to me.) There will definitely be 12 packets.
Jonah Greenthal
Golran
Auron

Post by Golran »

Probably count us out because of timing issues, unless we could run it mid-January, as the entire campus shuts down Dec. 12 after finals.
Drayer the Slayer
currently unaffiliated
jonah
Auron

Post by jonah »

Mid-January is okay. Please email me.
Jonah Greenthal
jonah
Auron

Post by jonah »

I am willing to allow mirrors later in the year if there is interest. We already have one at UCLA, and more are quite welcome. There will be 12 packets. With the tournament now nearly done, I can say with confidence that this will be an excellent set; if you're prospectively interested in mirroring it, you are welcome to contact me for samples.
Jonah Greenthal
jonah
Auron

Post by jonah »

With the set complete (and the New Trier site played), I'm glad to say that this set turned out very well. Anyone who is possibly interested in mirroring it should email me for a sample packet or two, and/or request to join the Facebook group in which the tournament is being discussed. I will make corrections and improvements to the set as appropriate, based on feedback and the few problems I noticed while reading, before the mirror(s).
Jonah Greenthal
jonah
Auron

Post by jonah »

Well, the only mirror I had besides UCLA's has been canceled. This is unfortunate in a number of ways, not least in that I paid the writers assuming that the Richard Montgomery mirror would happen. Any chance I can interest anyone in mirroring it in the next month or so? If cost or time is a prohibitive factor, email me and I'm sure we can make it work.
Jonah Greenthal
jonah
Auron

Post by jonah »

Oh well. This set has been sent to George for posting on quizbowlpackets.com.
Jonah Greenthal
Stained Diviner
Auron

Post by Stained Diviner »

It's now up. Feel free to use this space to provide feedback. There is a good chance that NTV will be a mirror of some other tournament next year, but the people who wrote and edited it will continue to write and edit a variety of questions.

As it turned out, the people responsible in approximate order of output level were Jonah, Matt Laird, Dan Donohue, me, Brad Fischer, David Garb, Jack Glerum, Alex Harrison, Andy Mathews, Trygve Meade, Donald Taylor, John Brown, Tom Egan, Carlo Angiuli, Steve Server, Joe Ahmad, Michael Jiang, Adam Johnson, Nick Matchen, Jeff Price, Ian Drayer, Jeff Geringer, David Riley, Ben Cohen, Alex Slack, and Robert Sido. Thanks to everybody who helped out.
David Reinstein
Head Writer and Editor for Scobol Solo, Masonics, and IESA; TD for Scobol Solo and Reinstein Varsity; IHSSBCA Board Member; IHSSBCA Chair (2004-2014); PACE President (2016-2018)
dtaylor4
Auron

Post by dtaylor4 »

Any questions/comments about myth go to me, as I was responsible for it. Feel free to email me with feedback.
Irreligion in Bangladesh
Auron

Post by Irreligion in Bangladesh »

I edited the classical music distribution, and I wrote a few SS questions here and there. Either email me or post here with feedback/questions.
Brad Fischer
Head Editor, IHSA State Series
IHSSBCA Chair

Winnebago HS ('06)
Northern Illinois University ('10)
Assistant Coach, IMSA (2010-12)
Coach, Keith Country Day School (2012-16)