Top Canadian School Title at the 2009 HSNCT

Dormant threads from the high school sections are preserved here.
rhentzel
Rikku

Top Canadian School Title at the 2009 HSNCT

Post by rhentzel »

Starting with the 2009 High School National Championship Tournament, NAQT will award a Top Canadian School title after a final on Sunday if there are at least five Canadian schools in attendance. If there are at least ten in attendance, the title will be awarded after an ancillary playoff similar to that used for the Top Small School title.

The exact structure of such a playoff will depend on how many schools qualify and where they finish in the overall playoffs.
bsmith
Tidus

Re: Top Canadian School Title at the 2009 HSNCT

Post by bsmith »

While I appreciate the gesture, I'm not sure where the surge from 1 team to 5-10 will come from.

Has NAQT done any publicity in Canada beyond what I (and Toronto) have done? I'm not on good terms with Reach, but NAQT may consider contacting Reach for the Top for sharing information (they have addresses and phone numbers through the website www.reachforthetop.com). Unlike past years, the national championships of these two organizations will not directly overlap in 2009.
Ben Smith
Ottawa '08 & '10
AKKOLADE
Sin

Post by AKKOLADE »

Is this going to result in a change in distribution for IS sets, i.e. increase in Canada-related material?
Fred Morlan
University of Kentucky CoP, 2017
International Quiz Bowl Tournaments, CEO, co-owner
former PACE member, president, etc.
former hsqbrank manager, former NAQT writer & subject editor, former hsqb Administrator/Chief Administrator
quizbowllee
Auron

Post by quizbowllee »

leftsaidfred wrote:Is this going to result in a change in distribution for IS sets, i.e. increase in Canada-related material?
Oh, God... I hadn't even thought about that. More hockey questions are coming, aren't they?
Lee Henry
AP Lit and APUSH Teacher
Quiz Bowl Coach
West Point High School
President-Elect/Past President- Alabama Scholastic Competition Association (ASCA)
Sen. Estes Kefauver (D-TN)
Chairman of Anti-Music Mafia Committee

Post by Sen. Estes Kefauver (D-TN) »

I look forward to there being 2 sets of packets in which the US content is replaced by Canadiana for the games involving a Canadian team.
Charlie Dees, North Kansas City HS '08
"I won't say more because I know some of you parse everything I say." - Jeremy Gibbs

"At one TJ tournament the neg prize was the Hampshire College ultimate frisbee team (nude) calender featuring one Evan Silberman. In retrospect that could have been a disaster." - Harry White
rhentzel
Rikku

Post by rhentzel »

bsmith wrote:While I appreciate the gesture, I'm not sure where the surge from 1 team to 5-10 will come from.

Has NAQT done any publicity in Canada beyond what I (and Toronto) have done? I'm not on good terms with Reach, but NAQT may consider contacting Reach for the Top for sharing information (they have addresses and phone numbers through the website http://www.reachforthetop.com). Unlike past years, the national championships of these two organizations will not directly overlap in 2009.
NAQT is hoping to do more publicity in Canada this year, but can't (yet) point to any sort of sustained marketing drive. We don't anticipate that just announcing the title will cause Canadian teams to appear in droves, but we hope that it sends the proper signal that we are interested in increasing international participation.
rhentzel
Rikku

Post by rhentzel »

leftsaidfred wrote:Is this going to result in a change in distribution for IS sets, i.e. increase in Canada-related material?
No change in the distribution is currently under contemplation for this year's Invitational Series or at the High School National Championship Tournament.
Auroni
Auron

Post by Auroni »

I was hoping on some tossups on michael ondaatje's eighth best known work :sad:
Auroni Gupta (she/her)
Auks Ran Ova
Forums Staff: Chief Administrator

Post by Auks Ran Ova »

The Structure of SoCal Action wrote:I was hoping on some tossups on michael ondaatje's eighth best known work :sad:
come on, man, The Cinnamon Peeler is a-set material
Rob Carson
University of Minnesota '11, MCTC '??, BHSU forever
Member, ACF
Member emeritus, PACE
Writer and Editor, NAQT
theMoMA
Forums Staff: Administrator

Post by theMoMA »

I may lobby for tempbans for those who denigrate Michael Ondaatje.
Andrew Hart
Minnesota alum
Stained Diviner
Auron

Post by Stained Diviner »

I took a course from Michael Ondaatje and was surprised at how low-key he was. It would be really cool if there were a bunch of Sri Lankan teams at HSNCT.

If there are going to be a bunch of Canadian teams at HSNCT, don't ask which country the telephone was invented in--for some reason, Canadians get upset that it was invented in the United States.
David Reinstein
Head Writer and Editor for Scobol Solo, Masonics, and IESA; TD for Scobol Solo and Reinstein Varsity; IHSSBCA Board Member; IHSSBCA Chair (2004-2014); PACE President (2016-2018)
bsmith
Tidus

Post by bsmith »

So far, there is no need for more Canadian content in the regularly-distributed IS sets. Canadian content is added for the Canadian sites by the hosts.
Ben Smith
Ottawa '08 & '10