Baseball Mogul!

Dormant threads from the high school sections are preserved here.
Chico the Rainmaker
Wakka

Baseball Mogul!

Post by Chico the Rainmaker »

For those of you that don't know, Baseball Mogul is a computer-based simulation game in which a person takes the role of a general manager of a baseball team (or teams). I am currently involved in an online Baseball Mogul league (it's free to participate in the league, buying the game costs money but it is not necessary to do so) along with a few members of this forum and some other folks. It takes about as much time as fantasy baseball and (in my opinion) is a lot more rewarding because there is a lot more to it than basically just drafting a team and setting your lineups every day. Please reply to this post if you are at all interested in joining the league or have any questions about doing so (we are currently on the verge of beginning the 2008 season after starting out in the 2006 season) because we need more people so that, ideally, each person can concentrate on controlling only one or two teams instead of one person controlling 17 and everyone else controlling one or two as is currently the case.

Teams still available:
New York Yankees
Toronto Blue Jays
Chicago White Sox
Cleveland Indians
Detroit Tigers
Minnesota Twins
Oakland Athletics
Texas Rangers
Philadelphia Phillies
Washington Nationals
Chicago Cubs
Pittsburgh Pirates
Milwaukee Brewers
St. Louis Cardinals
Colorado Rockies
San Francisco Giants
San Diego Padres
James(NotI)
Tufts '10
The Goffman Prophecies
Quizbowl Detective Extraordinaire

Re: Baseball Mogul!

Post by The Goffman Prophecies »

I absolutely second this - we could use some more GMs!

Like James mentioned, it's not necessary to own a copy of the game to participate. Our beloved league commissioner makes sure that the necessary information is available and distributed to anyone that needs it.

If you're interested in running a team, post here and we'll make sure you get the information you need to join in and participate. If you're on the fence, hopefully those of us that currently participate can answer any questions you might have.
Dan Goff
HSQB sysadmin

Virginia Tech '13
South Carolina '15
and a couple other places
Not Thomas Dale HS

STAAATS
Golran
Auron

Post by Golran »

I'm interested!

And how are the Rays still in 1st place?
Drayer the Slayer
currently unaffiliated
Chico the Rainmaker
Wakka

The game is "carried out" on the Baseball Mogul forum at bbclubhouse.com so you will need to make an account there to participate (free, of course, though I believe a board administrator has to approve each new user so don't make a username that sounds like a spambot). Some links to descriptive posts about Mogul there (I believe you need an account there to see these threads):

http://www.bbclubhouse.com/forums/index ... =0&start=0

http://www.bbclubhouse.com/forums/index ... st&p=37763

Great to hear you're interested Ian! As I said, the first step would be to make an account on http://www.bbclubhouse.com. If you have any questions at all about Mogul before you decide to join or in addition to joining, Dan or I will be happy to answer them. I'm assuming you meant to post the Rays comment in the Baseball Thread not in this thread, as the Devil Rays are not in first place in Mogul (as Brice can attest) but I think it is mostly just to make me feel dumb for doubting Baseball Prospectus' ranking of them at the beginning of the season.
James(NotI)
Tufts '10
evilmonkey
Yuna

Post by evilmonkey »

Chico The Rain Maker wrote:STUFF
PURESIM IS BETTER
Bryce Durgin
Culver Academies '07
University of Notre Dame '11
Texas A&M '15
Chico the Rainmaker
Wakka

evilmonkey wrote:
Chico The Rain Maker wrote:STUFF
PURESIM IS BETTER
Lies all of it lies.
James(NotI)
Tufts '10
... and the chaos of Mexican modernity
Rikku

Post by ... and the chaos of Mexican modernity »

Let me get the Rockies if that is okay with you.
Zach Foster
North Myrtle Beach High School class of 2009
George Mason University class of 2013
evilmonkey
Yuna

Post by evilmonkey »

Oh, yea, I'll get around to registering later, but I will take my beloved Yankees
Bryce Durgin
Culver Academies '07
Texas A&M '15
evilmonkey
Yuna

Post by evilmonkey »

evilmonkey wrote:Oh, yea, I'll get around to registering later, but I will take my beloved Yankees
And my first item of business will be to get rid of that [word rhyming with firetruck] Giambi. Perhaps firing Hank, as well ;)
Bryce Durgin
Culver Academies '07
Texas A&M '15
The Goffman Prophecies
Quizbowl Detective Extraordinaire

Post by The Goffman Prophecies »

Chief Pride wrote:Let me get the Rockies if that is okay with you.
It's absolutely ok. Go to the Baseball Clubhouse link that James posted above, register an account and post something in the 08 General Thread so that we know you're on board. I think we're going to start the season rather soon (as soon as someone fixes his internet issues at home - something about squirrels or rain or some such), so if you want to get on board, you probably want to act soon.

You can still join mid-season, and take over based on where the team is at that point.
Dan Goff
HSQB sysadmin

Virginia Tech '13
South Carolina '15
and a couple other places
Not Thomas Dale HS

STAAATS
Blackboard Monitor Vimes
Auron

Post by Blackboard Monitor Vimes »

evilmonkey wrote:
evilmonkey wrote:Oh, yea, I'll get around to registering later, but I will take my beloved Yankees
And my first item of business will be to get rid of that [word rhyming with firetruck] Giambi. Perhaps firing Hank, as well ;)
Please do. I'd already have volunteered if I had time for this. Best of luck with the pitching staff; we find out tonight without or not Ponson will be any good.
Sam L,
Maggie L. Walker Governor's School 2010 / UVA 2014 / VCU School of Education 2016
PACE
Chico the Rainmaker
Wakka

Just a reminder that if those of you who said you're interested are, in fact, interested, you should head over to http://www.bbclubhouse.com, make an account there and post something in the Baseball Mogul Forum saying you want to join the league. Thanks!
James(NotI)
Tufts '10
AKKOLADE
Sin

Post by AKKOLADE »

Posting ITT to indicate that I run this game and if you don't sign up you're a terrible human being.
Fred Morlan
University of Kentucky CoP, 2017
International Quiz Bowl Tournaments, CEO, co-owner
former PACE member, president, etc.
former hsqbrank manager, former NAQT writer & subject editor, former hsqb Administrator/Chief Administrator
Golran
Auron

Post by Golran »

I'm sorry, but I'm going to have to take a pass for this year. Next year (march/april) contact me again as I should be in much better position. I've heard that the college transition takes up a lot of time.
Drayer the Slayer
currently unaffiliated
Chico the Rainmaker
Wakka

Meh, I joined the Mogul league during my freshman year and had plenty of time to do it (assuming you're referring to time during the year and not time in the summer leading up to freshman year). Just saying.
James(NotI)
Tufts '10