Iowa 08-09

Dormant threads from the high school sections are preserved here.
gack1224
Wakka

Iowa 08-09

Post by gack1224 »

Calling all Iowans and adjacent areas. Please post if in Iowa (or want Iowa teams).
Cresston Gackle
University of Minnesota '13
theMoMA
Forums Staff: Administrator

Re: Iowa 08-09

Post by theMoMA »

Iowa teams should really consider going to the burgeoning number of high school events in Minnesota. The first is our Ubu Roi season opener on October 11. NAQT's MQBA site is also a good resource for finding out about upcoming tournaments.
Andrew Hart
Minnesota alum
gack1224
Wakka

Post by gack1224 »

The problem with that is the lack of funds, we would stay overnight or at least have an extremely long travel+quizbowl day with a 6-hour travel time.

Also, we lack the enthusiasm of other states. Debate takes precedence here. Even when we qualified for NAQT nationals, we were unable to go because of graduation and, ultimately, a lack of funds. Bettendorf will certainly consider coming to some tournaments, just don't count on it.
Cresston Gackle
dtaylor4
Auron

Post by dtaylor4 »

gack1224 wrote:The problem with that is the lack of funds, we would stay overnight or at least have an extremely long travel+quizbowl day with a 6-hour travel time.
This has been a point raised by many players/coaches, and the big solution is: host tournaments. Whether you mirror a tournament elsewhere or use NAQT or even write them yourself, run tournaments. This brings in money, and exposes teams to good questions. Over time, those teams themselves may start hosting tournaments, which may be closer to you than ones in MN, MO or IL.
vandyhawk
Tidus

Post by vandyhawk »

dtaylor4 wrote: This has been a point raised by many players/coaches, and the big solution is: host tournaments. Whether you mirror a tournament elsewhere or use NAQT or even write them yourself, run tournaments. This brings in money, and exposes teams to good questions. Over time, those teams themselves may start hosting tournaments, which may be closer to you than ones in MN, MO or IL.
Seriously, there are plenty of high schools in the Quad Cities that could be recruited to go to a tournament (including Illinois teams, but not sure how their crazy rules would deal with that), plus it seems Cedar Rapids and Des Moines area teams are starting to play more. You guys aren't too far from some of the WI schools that actually compete too. The Pleasant Valley academic team (which seems to be Ac. Decath. only these days) coach looks to be the same one who took over my senior year, so I could always give you at least one solid contact there. When we were able to find some qb tournaments to go to, we had talked about the possibility of hosting one ourselves, and heard that there used to be some QC area tournaments back in the day (keep in mind, my "day" is the late '90's), so it certainly seems like a good area to try to get reinvolved with quizbowl. Also, when U of Iowa hosted high school tournaments in the late '90's, they drew pretty good sized fields, so it's probably just a matter of getting the word out, since Iowa is such a great educational state...
Matt Keller
Vanderbilt (alum)
ACF editor (emeritus)
NAQT editor (emeritus)
Maxwell Sniffingwell
Auron

Post by Maxwell Sniffingwell »

vandyhawk wrote:The Pleasant Valley academic team (which seems to be Ac. Decath. only these days) coach looks to be the same one who took over my senior year, so I could always give you at least one solid contact there.
I can confirm that - one of my current teammates at Lawrence is Pleasant Valley class of '07, and she has Ac Dec experience but no real quizbowl.
Greg Peterson

Northwestern University '18
Lawrence University '11
Maine South HS '07

"a decent player" - Mike Cheyne
gack1224
Wakka

Post by gack1224 »

At Bettendorf, we haven't seen any of PV. Only Davenport Central makes an effort in the western QC. In Iowa, there is no organization and it's even more difficult when they don't advertise (random invitation or online). Boone, Ames, Bishop Garrigan, Southeast Polk, Chariton and (according to Scott Nystrom/Iowa State) many smaller ones. We (Bettendorf) have just seen those teams once at the Iowa State NAQT. Bettendorf may host an F/S tournament this year, but it's still in the air.
Cresston Gackle
gack1224
Wakka

Post by gack1224 »

If there are any eastern Iowa (east of Des Moines) coaches or players out there, please post the name of your school.
Cresston Gackle
David Riley
Auron

Post by David Riley »

Hawkeye brethren: I know my team would love to attend tournaments in Iowa within fairly easy driving distance (though our schedule this year is already pretty full), my team even won the Iowa NAQT championship one year....LONG story (but I love telling it :grin: ).

If any of you host a tournament and are willing to invite Illinois teams, then let me know and I will see that it is posted in our coaches' association newsletter.
David Riley
Coach Emeritus, Loyola Academy, Wilmette, Illinois, 1993-2010
Steering Committee, IHSSBCA, 1996 -
Member, PACE, 2012 -

"This is 1183, of course we're barbarians" -- Eleanor of Aquitaine in "The Lion in Winter"
gack1224
Wakka

Re: Iowa 08-09 Possible tournament

Post by gack1224 »

Bettendorf High School will be hosting a varsity tournament tentatively scheduled for March 28 in Bettendorf, IA. We are still undecided on possible formats (4v4 vs. 5v5) because of IHSA rules for out-of-season tournaments.

We hope we can bring together Iowa and Illinois teams for at least four rounds of NAQT/Illinois-style scholastic bowl (eight rounds total). We plan on 20-tossup rounds with standard 4-part bonuses for each question. Miscellaneous rules to be discussed later.

Fees: $50 per team
$40 per team and a working buzzer set
32-team cap

If your team has interest or you would like more information contact Diane Borcherding at dborcherding [at] bettendorf.k12.ia.us.
Cresston Gackle
David Riley
Auron

Post by David Riley »

If you use NAQT, then we'll probably come.....assuming my Kenilworth redhead of a captain doesn't have a lacrosse tournament :grin:

But I would assume you would get some Illinois teams in the Quad Cities and environs who would come if they weren't planning on attending a National, current 5-on-5 (if you did use that, and my NSH advice is to use 4-on-4) says you can play one out of season tournament .

-------

BTW (just saw the above post): many years ago PV used to always come to Mr. Pitz' f/s tournament at Moline, and they weren't bad.....do some promotion chatter!
David Riley
Member, PACE, 2012 -

"This is 1183, of course we're barbarians" -- Eleanor of Aquitaine in "The Lion in Winter"
Sen. Estes Kefauver (D-TN)
Chairman of Anti-Music Mafia Committee

Post by Sen. Estes Kefauver (D-TN) »

If you use unmodified NAQT I might be able to convince some teams in Missouri to go as well.
Charlie Dees, North Kansas City HS '08
"I won't say more because I know some of you parse everything I say." - Jeremy Gibbs

"At one TJ tournament the neg prize was the Hampshire College ultimate frisbee team (nude) calender featuring one Evan Silberman. In retrospect that could have been a disaster." - Harry White
gack1224
Wakka

Post by gack1224 »

Deesy Does It wrote:If you use unmodified NAQT I might be able to convince some teams in Missouri to go as well.
We're looking into NAQT format without timed rounds. It's nice to get through all the questions.
Cresston Gackle

Not to be prying, but wouldn't standard 20/20 work better to ensure tiebreakers?
"I won't say more because I know some of you parse everything I say." - Jeremy Gibbs

"At one TJ tournament the neg prize was the Hampshire College ultimate frisbee team (nude) calender featuring one Evan Silberman. In retrospect that could have been a disaster." - Harry White
gack1224
Wakka

Post by gack1224 »

Deesy Does It wrote:Not to be prying, but wouldn't standard 20/20 work better to ensure tiebreakers?
I'm not sure what you mean by 20/20. Do you mean 20 questions per round or 20-min. halves? Or something else?
Cresston Gackle
ClemsonQB
Tidus

Post by ClemsonQB »

Twenty tossups and twenty bonuses, formerly known as "mACF" (mock ACF).
George Stevens

Dorman High School 2008
Clemson University 2012

Most (or all) NAQT tournaments that don't use a clock use games that are 20 tossups long, and potentially 20 bonuses long, and reserve the remaining 4 questions for tiebreakers. In quizbowl whenever you see numbers separated by a slash it usually means "tossups/bonuses".

gack1224
Wakka

Post by gack1224 »

Deesy Does It wrote:Most (or all) NAQT tournaments that don't use a clock use games that are 20 tossups long, and potentially 20 bonuses long, and reserve the remaining 4 questions for tiebreakers. In quizbowl whenever you see numbers separated by a slash it usually means "tossups/bonuses".
I think I assumed that. I've not seen NAQT done any other way (20/20). By all the questions, I mean all 20. The leftover 4 for a tie.

Does it make a difference to anyone if the tournament is an NAQT qualifier or not? We're contemplating the cost of buying NAQT questions (at $16 per team plus $85).
Cresston Gackle
David Riley
Auron

Post by David Riley »

Not to me as we have several NAQT tournaments here this year.

I would prefer NAQT questions unless Charlie's group or other good question-writers are willing to write for you..
David Riley
Member, PACE, 2012 -

I'm curious what "Charlie's group" is, Coach Riley. Also, to gack1224, you might be interested in checking out this thread to track down some questions to use if you want to run a quality tournament that is independently written. Events like the No Name tournament, Prison Bowl, and the Gonzaga tournament are most likely going to be very good.

David Riley
Auron

Post by David Riley »

Charlie: Aren't you writing questions as part of a group now, or am I misinformed?
David Riley
Member, PACE, 2012 -

Oh, I do write for HSAPQ, but that is a group with enough good/better writers in it that I can hardly claim it as my own. I was just kind of confused about that.

vandyhawk
Tidus

Post by vandyhawk »

PV's contact person should be Kate Stangler. Who knows if it'll help, but you can tell her I really think they should attend - might give her a chuckle to find out I'm still involved in this stuff. Also, that date is around the time Vandy normally has a spring tournament in the 20/20 format, so there's another possible question source. I don't think there will be a shortage of sets that time of year that aren't NAQT to maximize the number of people who can attend your tournament.
Matt Keller
Vanderbilt (alum)
ACF editor (emeritus)
NAQT editor (emeritus)
gack1224
Wakka

Post by gack1224 »

Eastern Iowa teams:
If you live in Des Moines or live east of there, consider joining an eastern Iowa scholastic bowl confederation. Email me at gack1224 [at] gmail.com or Diane Borcherding at dborcherding [at] bettendorf.k12.ia.us. To increase competition for everyone in Iowa (and for neighboring states), we hope you consider this opportunity.
Cresston Gackle
David Riley
Auron

Post by David Riley »

Let us Illinoisans know if we can do anything to help!
David Riley
Member, PACE, 2012 -

gack1224
Wakka

Post by gack1224 »

Bettendorf will be hosting an NAQT tournament on March 28, 2009. Information is posted here.
Last edited by gack1224 on Wed Nov 26, 2008 2:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Cresston Gackle
David Riley
Auron

Post by David Riley »

If you will permit this Illinois team to cross the border, we may come pending interest by my team.
David Riley
Member, PACE, 2012 -

JackGlerum
Tidus

Post by JackGlerum »

We already played IS-79, so we won't be attending.
David Riley
Auron

Post by David Riley »

Oops...sorry, I didn't even think to checki that because of the dates being so far apart.
David Riley
Member, PACE, 2012 -

theMoMA

Post by theMoMA »

If anyone from Iowa is interested, the University of Minnesota is hosting a tournament on a NAQT IS set on December 6. It will be both an HSNCT and PACE NSC qualifier. Please email me at [email protected] if you're interested or would like more info.
Andrew Hart
Minnesota alum
gack1224
Wakka

Post by gack1224 »

Bettendorf will be hosting a NAQT-format F/S tournament on February 28, 2009. Information is posted here.
Cresston Gackle
gack1224
Wakka

Post by gack1224 »

Preliminary announcement:

In April, Bettendorf will be hosting a trash-style varsity event with house-written questions based on current events, except that we will have computational math :roll:.

Basically, every question--social studies, lit, math, science, etc.--will have a current events link-in inside of a pyramidal set of clues. We promise that the questions will not be ridiculously easy because of this. For example, the answer set will not include Blagojevich, Obama, etc. We will also limit the number of political questions.

9 rounds of 20 tossups each with 4 bonus parts. Prizes as usual. Cost is probably discount (>$50 per team).
Cresston Gackle
David Riley
Auron

Post by David Riley »

Sounds like fun.....have you set a date in April yet?
David Riley
Member, PACE, 2012 -

Terrible Shorts Depot
Yuna

Post by Terrible Shorts Depot »

gack1224 wrote:Basically, every question--social studies, lit, math, science, etc.--will have a current events link-in inside of a pyramidal set of clues. We promise that the questions will not be ridiculously easy because of this. For example, the answer set will not include Blagojevich, Obama, etc. We will also limit the number of political questions.
I'm not so sure that I understand how this works, especially with literature. I can figure out science and history, and math seems pretty self explanitory (questions about computing Blagojevich's payoffs or something like that, eh?). What would a literature question on something with zero current events value look like? How does one stick a current events link into a tossup on Pride and Prejudice without resorting to Keira Knightley? I'm not trying to destroy your idea (I actually think it is pretty cool); I am merely confused.
Charlie Rosenthal
Shady Side Academy '09
Carleton College '13
University of Pennsylvania '18
gack1224
Wakka

Post by gack1224 »

As for a date, next year in the fall.
Last edited by gack1224 on Sun Jan 25, 2009 10:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Cresston Gackle

What?

Sir Thopas
Auron

Post by Sir Thopas »

gack1224 wrote:Twilight is a book; it has an author.
That absolutely does not make it part of the literature distribution.
Newbery/
see: Twilight
Nobel prizes are given yearly. Cutting-edge literature canon....
Have fun writing tossups on the literary output of Le Clezio.
Guy Tabachnick
Hunter '09
Brown '13

http://memoryofthisimpertinence.blogspot.com/
Ondes Martenot
Tidus

Post by Ondes Martenot »

Twilight is a book; it has an author.
Newbery/Nobel prizes are given yearly. Cutting-edge literature canon....
Recent emergence of facts...
......? Are you aware of how quizbowl works?
Aaron Cohen, Bergen County Academies '08, RPI '12, NYU-???, NAQT writer, HSAPQ writer, PACE writer
Mechanical Beasts
Banned Cheater

Post by Mechanical Beasts »

Quick, everybody, shoot your favorite ACTUAL QUIZBOWL AUTHOR so that their works can come up at this tournament instead of Bud, not Buddy.
Andrew Watkins
BuzzerZen
Auron

Post by BuzzerZen »

I'm looking forward to a Caldecott Medal-based tournament myself.
Evan Silberman
Hampshire College 07F

How are you actually reading one of my posts?
gack1224
Wakka

Post by gack1224 »

Ok fine. Better examples include: Studs Terkel, Bruce Ivins, David Halberstam, Solzhenitsen, St. Exupery, L'Engle. Etc.
Cresston Gackle

Sorry, but I think you're going to have to burn one of your tossups to show us exactly what this is going to look like.

Terrible Shorts Depot
Yuna

Post by Terrible Shorts Depot »

I think that, just for the sake of a canon with a tournament's worth of answers, you'll need to stretch the definition of current into plasticity. As awesome as Solzhenitsyn is, you don't really want to ask about his minor works, even though I hear high schoolers love "Matryona's Home".
Charlie Rosenthal
Shady Side Academy '09
Carleton College '13
University of Pennsylvania '18
Charbroil
Auron

Post by Charbroil »

To introduce a new dimension in the Iowa discussion, there's also going to be a tournament at Truman State University in Kirksville, Missouri on the 21st of March, and I know that the organizers are having some trouble filling their field...

Forum Post: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=7086

Given how close that is to Iowa, it might be interesting if some teams from there considered it--and it would make for some new competition for us Missouri teams going there.
Charles Hang
Francis Howell Central '09
St. Charles Community College '14
Washington University in St. Louis '19, 2x (President, 2017-19)

Owner, Olympia Academic Competition Questions, LLC
Question Writer, National Academic Quiz Tournaments, LLC and National History Bee and Bowl
gack1224
Wakka

Post by gack1224 »

I've started a small website for Iowa high school quiz bowl where I'll try to post tournament dates and link to results. Please let me know if there is a tournament that needs to be posted.
Cresston Gackle
theMoMA

Post by theMoMA »

There is a tournament on 3/28 at the University of Minnesota, if any Iowa teams are interested in coming. There's a discount for out-of-state teams as well.

Link: http://hsquizbowl.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=7282
Andrew Hart
Minnesota alum