Solon's Two Day NAQT/PACE Tournament-Feb.14/15

Dormant threads from the high school sections are preserved here.
solonqb
Rikku

Solon's Two Day NAQT/PACE Tournament-Feb.14/15

Post by solonqb »

Solon plans to run its Two Day Tournament for the 3rd year on President's Day weekend, February 14/15th. The Glenn Gonsalvas NAQT day is Saturday and the Pace Tournament is Sunday. You may participate one or both days. There is a discount if you do both. Tentative costs are $75 for the first team and $50 for each additional team for one day. If you compete on the 2nd day, the costs for Sunday will be $55 for the first team and $30 for each additional team. I will assist in finding hotels etc. if you need to stay overnight in the area. Email me if interested. Bob Weiser [email protected]
Last edited by BuzzerZen on Thu Jun 19, 2008 6:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Noah Rahman
Welcome to Simbabwe, where the property is already owned and the houses built and you compete to burn and dispossess them. Compete with Robert Mugabe, Canaan Banana, Cecil Rhodes and Sir Godfrey Huggins to earn a place on the all-time EU travel ban list!
Mr. Polzin
Kimahri

Re: Solon's Two Day NAQT/PACE Tournament-Feb.14/15

Post by Mr. Polzin »

Two questions:

1. Will there be a JV Division?

2. What is the current field?

~J. Polzin Catholic Central High School
BobGHHS
Rikku

Post by BobGHHS »

I haven't spoken to Bob recently, but if the last few years serve as a model (which they likely will), there will be no JV division and brackets of 6. After the initial round-robin and lunch, teams will be rebracketed into top bracket, next bracket, blah blah on down for a second 6-team round robin. I believe (but don't quote me) that each bracket winner after lunch gets an award, as does the top scorer.

I think this setup holds true for both days.

In regards to a JV division, a large percentage of Ohio varsity teams couldn't beat JV teams from surrounding states, so even throwing your JV team "into the fire" so to speak, isn't a bad thing in my opinion normally, but especially not here.

Its a really good time and very efficiently-run. I would definitely recommend it.
Bob Kilner
Kent State '06 - Boise State '10
Former Coach, Garfield Hts (OH) (2001-08)
Former Coach, Eastlake North HS (OH) (2015-22)

"I'd sooner fail than not be among the greatest." - John Keats
dxdtdemon
Rikku

Post by dxdtdemon »

While the Ohio board has been going haywire, I believe there was a post that said that this tournament is short on moderators. Apparently, there is a field of 36 on Saturday, 32 on Sunday and only 6 moderators signed up, if the message was accurate.
Jonathan Graham
Beavercreek HS 1999-2003, Ohio State 2003-2007, Wright State (possibly playing)2012-2015
moderator/scorekeeper at some tournaments in Ohio, and sometimes elsewhere
"Ohio has a somewhat fractured quizbowl circuit, with a few small pockets of intense competition (like in Mahoning County) and with the rest scattered around the state."-Chris Chiego
djones
Wakka

Post by djones »

Yeah, it does sound like they are short moderators. I think Bob has six moderators committed from teams, though I am sure that some of the NE Ohio regulars (Bossick, Sharp, Gutscher, et al.) will be in attendance as well, so it may not be as dire as it appears (though I am sure they will be scrambling the morning of).

Here is what I have as a field update for those who are interested. This is one of the better fields I have ever seen for an Ohio tournament.

Saturday (NAQT):
Fisher Catholic
Northmont
Culver (x2)
Stow (x2)
Tippecanoe
Hawken (x2)
Richmond Heights
Orange (x2)
Hudson
Ballard (x2)
Manuel (x4)
Garfield Heights
Kenston (x2)
St. Josephs
St. Charles (x3)
Village Academy
Russell
DCC (x4)
Firestone
Southeast (x2)

Sunday (PACE):
Northmont
Culver (x2)
Ike
Tippecanoe
Hawken (x2)
Richmond Heights
Defiance
Beachwood (x2)
Ballard (x2)
Manuel (x4)
Garfield Heights
Kenston (x2)
Copley (x2)
St. Josephs (x2)
Village Academy
Russell
DCC (x4)
Firestone
Dunbar
David Jones
Coach, Northmont High School
swwFCqb
Rikku

Post by swwFCqb »

djones wrote: Saturday (NAQT):
Fisher Catholic
Northmont
Culver (x2)
Stow (x2)
Tippecanoe
Hawken (x2)
Richmond Heights
Orange (x2)
Hudson
Ballard (x2)
Manuel (x4)
Garfield Heights
Kenston (x2)
St. Josephs
St. Charles (x3)
Village Academy
Russell
DCC (x4)
Firestone
Southeast (x2)

Sunday (PACE):
Northmont
Culver (x2)
Ike
Tippecanoe
Hawken (x2)
Richmond Heights
Defiance
Beachwood (x2)
Ballard (x2)
Manuel (x4)
Garfield Heights
Kenston (x2)
Copley (x2)
St. Josephs (x2)
Village Academy
Russell
DCC (x4)
Firestone
Dunbar
Damn, that field is stacked. I wish I could get half as many good teams to show up to my tournaments.

As an aside, given recent and regrettable events, I will be unable to show up to help this weekend. Good luck to all the teams out there and I'll probably be seeing everybody at Copley in 2 weeks.
Steven Wellstead
Fisher Catholic High School '07
Case Western Reserve University '11
NAQT writer
BobGHHS
Rikku

Post by BobGHHS »

Since Steven isn't coming, somebody better make sure to plug his tournaments. I would, but I hate public speaking.
Garfield Heights
Really... they're finally going to come to something else?
Bob Kilner

mknupp
Lulu

Post by mknupp »

I would like to thank Bob and his crew for hosting another great tournament. I just wish we didn't have school today (make up for a day of snow). This tournament has good competition and is run really well. I would suggest that any team that has not tried this tournament to make the trip. It is well worth it.
BobGHHS
Rikku

Post by BobGHHS »

Brief Results:

NAQT (Saturday)
1st - Stow
2nd - DCC A

HSAPQ - Pace (Sunday)
1st - DCC A
2nd - Stow

Bob said results will be posted sometime this week once they are back at school.
Bob Kilner

soroco120
Lulu

Post by soroco120 »

People are talking about the results in the Ohio forum, have the results been posted yet?
Neil Samadder
Village Academy '10
BobGHHS
Rikku

Post by BobGHHS »

He said when they come back to school, so hopefully today or tomorrow.
Bob Kilner

soroco120
Lulu

Post by soroco120 »

OK thanks, Also I had a question for some of the coaches. In the middle of my round vs Hawken A I believe, my buzzer stopped working and I just assumed I was being outbuzzed because I knew a lot of the same sutff as the other side. When I had a question where I obviously had pressed my buzzer, I realized it and told the moderator, and she said theres nothing she could do. Is there any policy on that or if it happens again in the future will I just be out've luck.
Neil Samadder
Village Academy '10
Captain Sinico
Auron

Post by Captain Sinico »

soroco120 wrote:OK thanks, Also I had a question for some of the coaches. In the middle of my round vs Hawken A I believe, my buzzer stopped working and I just assumed I was being outbuzzed because I knew a lot of the same sutff as the other side. When I had a question where I obviously had pressed my buzzer, I realized it and told the moderator, and she said theres nothing she could do. Is there any policy on that or if it happens again in the future will I just be out've luck.
It's not always clear what's right in that situation and different tournaments have different rules about it. In future, though, what you should definitely do is make sure you ask to check your buzzer any time you have any doubt. The earlier a buzzer malfunction is caught, the easier and more straightforward the remediation is.

MaS
Mike Sorice
Former Coach, Centennial High School of Champaign, IL (2014-2020) & Team Illinois (2016-2018)
Alumnus, Illinois ABT (2000-2002; 2003-2009) & Fenwick Scholastic Bowl (1999-2000)
Member, ACF (Emeritus), IHSSBCA, & PACE
soroco120
Lulu

Post by soroco120 »

yeah I did buzzercheck, but it stopped working sometime during the course of the game.
Neil Samadder
Village Academy '10
Sen. Estes Kefauver (D-TN)
Chairman of Anti-Music Mafia Committee

Post by Sen. Estes Kefauver (D-TN) »

No, I think what Mike is saying is that if you are having what you think may be buzzer problems, just buzz in during some downtime or ask the moderator to let you check it again. Also, if your buzzer stops working, I often yell buzz.
Charlie Dees, North Kansas City HS '08
"I won't say more because I know some of you parse everything I say." - Jeremy Gibbs

"At one TJ tournament the neg prize was the Hampshire College ultimate frisbee team (nude) calender featuring one Evan Silberman. In retrospect that could have been a disaster." - Harry White
Matt Weiner
Sin

Post by Matt Weiner »

Captain Scipio wrote:It's not always clear what's right in that situation and different tournaments have different rules about it. In future, though, what you should definitely do is make sure you ask to check your buzzer any time you have any doubt. The earlier a buzzer malfunction is caught, the easier and more straightforward the remediation is.
Both NAQT and HSAPQ (who were the question providers and, presumably, the rules providers for the two days of this tournament, respectively) have provisions in their rules for checking the buzzer between questions and for the moderator determining that the prior tossup should be replaced due to malfunction. They also both prohibit any retroactive change to questions beyond the just-completed one. The moderator's claim that there is "nothing she could do" is simply incorrect (unless the tournaments were using custom rules with the NAQT and/or HSAPQ question sets) and should have been brought to the attention of the TD.
Matt Weiner
Advisor to Quizbowl at Virginia Commonwealth University / Founder of hsquizbowl.org
Captain Sinico
Auron

Post by Captain Sinico »

Jeremy Gibbs Free Energy wrote:No, I think what Mike is saying is that if you are having what you think may be buzzer problems, just buzz in during some downtime or ask the moderator to let you check it again. Also, if your buzzer stops working, I often yell buzz.
This is precisely what I meant.

MaS
Mike Sorice
Former Coach, Centennial High School of Champaign, IL (2014-2020) & Team Illinois (2016-2018)
Alumnus, Illinois ABT (2000-2002; 2003-2009) & Fenwick Scholastic Bowl (1999-2000)
Member, ACF (Emeritus), IHSSBCA, & PACE
soroco120
Lulu

Post by soroco120 »

Alright thanks guys, I'll be sure to act differently next time. I just hate getting into arguments with moderators because I didn't want to seem rude and she kept getting upset already after I reminded her to clear a couple times. But thanks.
Neil Samadder
Village Academy '10

Man, moderators getting upset over being told to clear. That's terrible.
"I won't say more because I know some of you parse everything I say." - Jeremy Gibbs

"At one TJ tournament the neg prize was the Hampshire College ultimate frisbee team (nude) calender featuring one Evan Silberman. In retrospect that could have been a disaster." - Harry White
soroco120
Lulu

Post by soroco120 »

That happens ALL the time actually, some moderators are just snippy, and its usually the ones who are terrible readers as well.
Neil Samadder
Village Academy '10
soroco120
Lulu

Post by soroco120 »

On another note, does anybody have any input on what happened in the morning rounds, especially in the top few brackets. And which teams qualify for nationals? Who are the top 5? The top 5 in the top bracket or the winners of the top 5 brackets in the afternoon or morning?
Neil Samadder
Village Academy '10
BobGHHS
Rikku

Post by BobGHHS »

For whoever understands the eligibility rules. There were 6 brackets of 6 in the morning rounds (5 brackets of 6 on Sunday), then rebracketed by record, ppg, etc. into new brackets of 6 for the afternoon. Each bracket winner received a trophy.

I'm not quite sure how that plays out in terms of qualifying for Nats, but I figured that information would be important to know.
Bob Kilner

soroco120
Lulu

Post by soroco120 »

Yeah that would be very helpful. I don't think I'll be able to qualify in time :'(, I wish they had a solo tournament.
Neil Samadder
Village Academy '10
Cheynem
Sin

Post by Cheynem »

Heh, I remember at one league match when my buzzer wasn't working (BEFORE THE MATCH STARTED) because the wire that connected it to the mechanism kept falling out. The moderator's recommendation was that I physically hold the wire in place while the match was being played. My coach was not happy.
Mike Cheyne
Formerly U of Minnesota

"You killed HSAPQ"--Matt Bollinger
djones
Wakka

Post by djones »

I would assume that since the morning matches decided the afternoon bracketing, the finishing order in the top bracket would be the top 6, bracket two finished 7-12, etc. I don't think that a team that went 0-5 in the morning to tank into the lowest bracket would be a national qualifier, particularly if they played other 0-5 teams (who were B, C, and D teams in the afternoon).

I think all of the top 6 were already qualified for Nats, so it shouldn't matter too much.

Top Bracket (Elvis):
1- Stow (OH)
2- DCC A (MI)
3- DCC B (MI)
4- Russell (KY)
5- Culver (IN)
6- Northmont (OH)
David Jones
soroco120
Lulu

Post by soroco120 »

OK but what if you won your morning bracket, and didn't get placed in the top bracket and weren't in a JV division, that's what caused me a problem in figuring this all out.
Neil Samadder
Village Academy '10
djones
Wakka

Post by djones »

All winners of varsity brackets were placed into the top bracket. I am assuming that Village Academy had asked to play in the JV division (like you had at OSU three weeks earlier), as the other teams you played in the morning consisted of another varsity team who had asked to play JV, 3 C teams and 1 D team. Despite an unbelievable performance, the competition was probably not enough for them to warrant Village Academy being placed in the top bracket. They did the same thing to DCC D on Sunday- took competition into account as well as record.
David Jones
soroco120
Lulu

Post by soroco120 »

Well thanks for the compliment. I had asked to be put into JV but it seems like stones became the third bracket, as St. Charles entered it in the afternoon.
I guess I need to find another tournament that might qualify me.
Neil Samadder
Village Academy '10
dxdtdemon
Rikku

Post by dxdtdemon »

soroco120 wrote:Well thanks for the compliment. I had asked to be put into JV but it seems like stones became the third bracket, as St. Charles entered it in the afternoon.
I guess I need to find another tournament that might qualify me.
Which nationals are you trying to qualify for? If you want to go to the PACE NSC, the affiliated qualifying tournaments are in this thread: viewtopic.php?f=2&t=6308 It looks like you are signed up for Weekend of Quizbowl, and you are about 2.5 hours away from Case Western's GLRAC on 3/29, which could also qualify you. If you want to go to the NAQT HSNCT, then find a tournament on the NAQT website that doesn't use the same set that your tournament will use, and finish in the top 15% of the field.
Jonathan Graham
Beavercreek HS 1999-2003, Ohio State 2003-2007, Wright State (possibly playing)2012-2015
"Ohio has a somewhat fractured quizbowl circuit, with a few small pockets of intense competition (like in Mahoning County) and with the rest scattered around the state."-Chris Chiego
soroco120
Lulu

Post by soroco120 »

Alright thank you everybody for your help. :grin:
Neil Samadder
Village Academy '10
powerplant
Wakka

Post by powerplant »

Saturday's morning stats and afternoon stats are now up. I wasn't involved with this tournament at all, I just was forwarded the email with the stats and just posted them on my webspace because they aren't up anywhere yet. Due to me knowing very little about html and stuff, clicking on team names or player names won't work, but you can navigate the main categories. If there are any issues (or if people know how to get the names to route properly), please let me know. As for the Sunday stats, I only have one of the pages for that.
Joseph Wells

Garfield Heights High School '08
Centre College 2008-2010
Tri-C 2010-2011
Ohio State 2011-
powerplant
Wakka

Post by powerplant »

Morning stats and afternoon stats from Sunday are now up, same deal as last time with navigation though.
Joseph Wells

Garfield Heights High School '08
Centre College 2008-2010
Tri-C 2010-2011
Ohio State 2011-
dxdtdemon
Rikku

Post by dxdtdemon »

If these are the real stats, did Kenston 2 and Hawken 3 really play to a 0-0 tie?
Jonathan Graham

ARGH WHY ARE YOU GIVING AN ANSWER IN A POST ABOUT AN UPCOMING SET

sephirothrr
Quizbowl Detective Extraordinaire

Post by sephirothrr »

Jeremy Gibbs Free Energy wrote:ARGH WHY ARE YOU GIVING AN ANSWER IN A POST ABOUT AN UPCOMING SET
Dude, my bad. I fixed it.

To avoid double posting, let me clarify my above post:

I have good matches and bad matches, often in the same day, sometimes across tournaments. I know and have known people that were very inconsistent. But never, in my history of academic competitions, have I seen a swing quite as epic as this one. If I am implying that there were less than honest means, it is because I am in utter disbelief.
Now, that is my opinion on the matter. I certainly could be wrong, and I very much hope that I am, as that would defuse a very sticky situation.
Ramapriya
Kentucky Quizbowl Alliance
University of Louisville
duPont Manual High School
Birdofredum Sawin wrote: Fri Apr 04, 2014 1:52 pmIf you don't want to be regarded as a "raving lunatic," it might be advisable to rave less, or at least to do so in a less loony manner.