Illinois '08-'09

Dormant threads from the high school sections are preserved here.
the return of AHAN
Auron

Re: Illinois '08-'09

Post by the return of AHAN »

Shorter drive to NU, for sure. But I don't know if it'd be cricket for me to take the frosh/soph team to NU and not the varsity team... you know?
Jeff Price
Barrington High School Coach (2021 & 2023 HSNCT Champions, 2023 PACE Champions, 2023 Illinois Masonic Bowl Class 3A State Champions)
Barrington Station Middle School Coach (2013 MSNCT Champions, 2013 & 2017 Illinois Class AA State Champions)
------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Maxwell Sniffingwell
Auron

Post by Maxwell Sniffingwell »

10 pages and it's not even November. Well done, folks.
Greg Peterson

Northwestern University '18
Lawrence University '11
Maine South HS '07

"a decent player" - Mike Cheyne
BuzzerZen
Auron

Post by BuzzerZen »

cornfused wrote:10 pages and it's not even November. Well done, folks.
If by "well done" you mean "dear god", then yes.
Evan Silberman
Hampshire College 07F

How are you actually reading one of my posts?
evilmonkey
Yuna

Post by evilmonkey »

BuzzerZen wrote:
cornfused wrote:10 pages and it's not even November. Well done, folks.
If by "well done" you mean "dear god", then yes.
QFT

I'd like to point out that this is about 4-5 more pages than your northern, southern, eastern, and both of your western neighbors combined.
Bryce Durgin
Culver Academies '07
University of Notre Dame '11
Texas A&M '15
Captain Sinico
Auron

Post by Captain Sinico »

They have been owned.

MaS
Mike Sorice
Former Coach, Centennial High School of Champaign, IL (2014-2020) & Team Illinois (2016-2018)
Alumnus, Illinois ABT (2000-2002; 2003-2009) & Fenwick Scholastic Bowl (1999-2000)
Member, ACF (Emeritus), IHSSBCA, & PACE
Charley Pride
Rikku

Post by Charley Pride »

I've posted the video on Mr. Reinstein's suggested site, as it was readily accessible from school. I have to apologize for the quality. I did not make the video, and am currently working on making it better, more useful.

http://community.foxjox.com/kickapps/_D ... /8052.html

And Jonah, here's the code in case you want to embed this on IHSSBCA's site. If you need the actual file, let me know.

Code: Select all

<p width="100%" align="center"><object classid="clsid:d27cdb6e-ae6d-11cf-96b8-444553540000" codebase="http://download.macromedia.com/pub/shockwave/cabs/flash/swflash.cab#version=9,0,16,0" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="620px" height="330px" id="kickWidget_8052_4492" align="middle" ><param name="movie" value="http://serve.a-widget.com/kickapps/service/getWidgetSwf.kickAction"/><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true" /><param name="FlashVars" value="affiliateSiteId=8052&widgetId=4492&width=620&height=330&cVars=n&CS_PID=4908f0f92153a952" /><param name="quality" value="high" /><param name="wmode" value="window" /><param name="menu" value="false" /><param name="allowNetworking" value="all" /><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always" /><embed src="http://serve.a-widget.com/kickapps/service/getWidgetSwf.kickAction" name="kickWidget_8052_4492" width="620px" height="330px" quality="high" menu="false" pluginspage="http://www.macromedia.com/go/getflashplayer" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="window" align="middle" allowScriptAccess="always" alt="KickApps Widget" allowFullScreen="true" FlashVars="affiliateSiteId=8052&widgetId=4492&width=620&height=330&cVars=n&CS_PID=4908f0f92153a952" /> </object></p>
Zahed Haseeb

Auburn High School 2010
University of Chicago 2014
jonah
Auron

Post by jonah »

Yeah, my whole point was I wanted the actual file.
Jonah Greenthal
National Academic Quiz Tournaments
Charley Pride
Rikku

Post by Charley Pride »

I will upload it to RapidShare and give you the link shortly.
Zahed Haseeb

Auburn High School 2010
JackGlerum
Tidus

Post by JackGlerum »

A couple questions about Kickoff:

-Are the moderators at Kickoff (referring to Wheaton North) going to be coaches of the competing teams or people who know what they are doing?

-Now that we are doing normal bonuses, does that mean we are using SQBS to keep stats? (statewide stats online would be cool)
Stained Diviner
Auron

Post by Stained Diviner »

Jack--
The questions you asked are up to the host. Wheaton North is making some effort to get moderators used to college/NAQT formats, but they will not be able to get nearly enough to cover all matches. They now have over fifty teams registered, and they won't get over 25 moderators. Anybody on this board who is interested in moderating should contact Phyllis Kidd, whose email can be found at ihssbca.org. (People in other parts of Illinois can contact Cheryl Christianson at Sterling, Mark Grant at PORTA, or Sharon Lorinskas at Carbondale. I honestly do not know how much, or if, you would be paid.) Teams like Loyola and New Trier who have coaches used to the format will be the last teams assigned moderators.

I would be surprised if SQBS will be used. The traditional Illinois way of only putting finals scores on scoresheets and using the honor system to determine All Tournament probably will be used instead. Hopefully, your suggestion will become reality within the next few years.

Also, thanks a lot to Auburn for making and posting the video.
David Reinstein
Head Writer and Editor for Scobol Solo, Masonics, and IESA; TD for Scobol Solo and Reinstein Varsity; IHSSBCA Board Member; IHSSBCA Chair (2004-2014); PACE President (2016-2018)
harpersferry
Wakka

Post by harpersferry »

Question: Is conferral on bonuses allowed during the reading of the question? Obviously in normal ACF it is, but what is the plan for Kickoff? I only ask because in the vid at 5:50, Mme Van Howe asked Michael's team not to talk. Was that just a mistake, or is that the way that they're planning on playing?
John Brown
Rockford Auburn '08
Indiana University '12
Irreligion in Bangladesh
Auron

Post by Irreligion in Bangladesh »

Sterling usually has a packet of scoresheets. I've asked in the past if I could grab them for SQBS purposes, and I'll try again this time. (Usually it's the "fault" of the score room being unorganized at the end of the tourney that keeps me from getting them.)
Brad Fischer
Head Editor, IHSA State Series
IHSSBCA Chair

Winnebago HS ('06)
Northern Illinois University ('10)
Assistant Coach, IMSA (2010-12)
Coach, Keith Country Day School (2012-16)
dtaylor4
Auron

Post by dtaylor4 »

Irving Alva Edison Hobophone Inventor wrote:Question: Is conferral on bonuses allowed during the reading of the question? Obviously in normal ACF it is, but what is the plan for Kickoff? I only ask because in the vid at 5:50, Mme Van Howe asked Michael's team not to talk. Was that just a mistake, or is that the way that they're planning on playing?
Even if allowed, people who talk during bonuses could be costing their team points, as you're missing out on clues.
Stained Diviner
Auron

The rules are here. Your question is not specifically addressed, but the rules do say "All IHSA rules concerning toss-ups, communication, and acceptable answers remain exactly the same. The only pertinent differences deal with bonuses." Based on that, I would say that the video is correct. It also makes sense, given that there are rebounds, that the opposing team should be able to hear the bonus.
David Reinstein
Head Writer and Editor for Scobol Solo, Masonics, and IESA; TD for Scobol Solo and Reinstein Varsity; IHSSBCA Board Member; IHSSBCA Chair (2004-2014); PACE President (2016-2018)
Charley Pride
Rikku

Post by Charley Pride »

John, we did it on purpose. The quality of the video is heavily compromised because there's not a strong audio feed from the players. I may, if I have time, do some sound editing this weekend. I'm sort of busy this weekend, but I'll try.

We worked so hard...and it turned out like this.
Zahed Haseeb

Auburn High School 2010
JackGlerum
Tidus

Post by JackGlerum »

seven teams at northwestern...
Charley Pride
Rikku

Post by Charley Pride »

For a second--or half of one--I thought you were saying Loyola would have 7 teams at Northwestern....

"Loyola G"
Zahed Haseeb

Auburn High School 2010
leapfrog314
Wakka

Post by leapfrog314 »

Aub-ZH wrote:"Loyola G"
This does happen in other states. Sometimes I wonder why bringing more than two teams is extremely unusual in Illinois, especially since there are some programs which could muster up three or four.
Carlo Angiuli, Indiana University
Director, Aegis Questions, Inc.
JackGlerum
Tidus

Post by JackGlerum »

leapfrog314 wrote:
Aub-ZH wrote:"Loyola G"
This does happen in other states. Sometimes I wonder why bringing more than two teams is extremely unusual in Illinois, especially since there are some programs which could muster up three or four.
Indeed. We brought three teams to Earlybird, and are bringing three to NU and WN. We don't have enough to be like Charter I (@ Maryland, confirm/deny), but bring three teams is a new and positive thing for us. We told the F/S that as long as they know that they will probably get destroyed going in, that we will bring them to just about every tournament we can, assuming there aren't any legit F/S events on that day.

It has already reaped benefits, as our C team (F/S) went 0-7 in the preliminary rounds at Earlybird and 3-0 against three varsity teams in the lowest playoff RR. Granted it was Cumberland, Crete Monee B, and Dunlap (I think), but they were happy. They are going to own the F/S circuit if they keep coming with us.
Charley Pride
Rikku

Post by Charley Pride »

Indeed, there's nothing like real playing time, and there just aren't enough F/S events in the year. I firmly believe in the scholastic bowl farm system.
Zahed Haseeb

Auburn High School 2010
David Riley
Auron

Post by David Riley »

Yes, hopefully it will take off...in the past, tournament managers used to be very reticient about letting a school bring more than two teams, because of some supposed self esteem b.s. (that word should be banned from the education vocabulary). But fortunately things are changing.....and I would love to be able to field a Loyola G team! :grin:
David Riley
Coach Emeritus, Loyola Academy, Wilmette, Illinois, 1993-2010
Steering Committee, IHSSBCA, 1996 -
Member, PACE, 2012 -

"This is 1183, of course we're barbarians" -- Eleanor of Aquitaine in "The Lion in Winter"
MLaudermith
Wakka

Post by MLaudermith »

Well, I hope things are going well at Northwestern.

We just got back from the Lincoln-Way East tournament and I'm feeling a bit cheated. In the interest of saving time, teams were only guaranteed four matches of 16 toss-ups. Had my team done better, I'd probably be in a better mood, but the whole thing just seemed way too truncated. If anybody on the board stayed until the end, I'm curious to know just when it did end and if any real time was saved. After just 2 rounds, there were already big delays due to slow readers.

On the plus side, questions were from NAQT and the toss-ups were generally pretty good, though the Miscellaneous questions definitely didn't fit the usual IHSA categories. I talked to two coaches who complained about how "rediculously long" the toss-ups were and how the difficult clues were only there to confuse players.

I'm more interested than ever now to see the reaction to Kickoffs next week. This was our first tournament of the season and it nicely highlighted all of the reasons why we need to change the format in Illinois. Maybe I'm getting spoiled by all of the NAQT and mACF tourneys I've moderated at over the past year, but 4 rounds of 16 questions just doesn't cut it anymore.
Mike Laudermith, Fenton High School
IHSSBCA Member-at-Large

"Where can you belt back a fifth of scotch on the Firth of Forth?"
--geography tossup from the pioneering days of Illinois Scholastic Bowl
leapfrog314
Wakka

Post by leapfrog314 »

MLaudermith wrote:In the interest of saving time, teams were only guaranteed four matches of 16 toss-ups.
Even in the relatively slow-paced IHSA format, tournaments should be able to get through five matches of 20 tossups before lunch, even if most tossups are read to completion. Why do tournaments run so long?

Corollary: Why do coaches read SO slowly? I understand not everybody is able to understand moderators who talk as fast as policy debaters, but questions ought to be read at LEAST as fast as normal speech.
Carlo Angiuli, Indiana University
Director, Aegis Questions, Inc.
Stained Diviner
Auron

Slow moderators don't necessarily "read slowly"--they generally don't get the rules or the point of spending the day playing Scholastic Bowl. The problem is that they comment on every question, allow the teams to comment on every question, or don't call time after five/ten/thirty seconds when the rules dictate. On rarer occasions, they confer with the coaches on the acceptability of every answer, an act that is rarely necessary with questions by NAQT unless the moderator is totally clueless. New Trier played ten rounds of IS today, and we got back to New Trier before 5:00, which is what happens when you have a competent Tournament Director who finds competent moderators.

It has become somewhat common for tournaments using IHSA rules to play five matches of 16/16 in the morning. You need to run a very tight ship to play more. By run a tight ship, I mean the TD needs to spend the morning criticizing the rooms that fall behind and taking over the rooms that don't learn from the criticism.

At Northwestern, New Trier won, Loyola B got 4th, and I don't know whether Loyola A or Stevenson A got 2nd. Ben averaged 135 ppg in the first seven rounds with timed matches. Loyola and Stevenson played us close--in particular, we were very lucky to win our first match against Stevenson.
David Reinstein
Charley Pride
Rikku

Post by Charley Pride »

Today was Moline's F/S tourney. Auburn had three teams, one of which I coached (B) while Coach Greene split her time between A and C. Auburn won a hard-fought final against a Dunlap team that was strong early. My impressions are many:

-Despite some problems that Mr. Pitz mentioned, the tournament turned out to be a good one. I always enjoyed going to Moline as a player, and today I enjoyed it as a coach.

-Speaking of coaching, I thoroughly enjoyed the opportunity to be on the other side of things, taking command of the B team (Siva and Michael had SAT subject tests). I got a chance to truly appreciate what goes through a coach's mind, and I enjoyed coaching against people I had once played against, and still might in the future. We did pretty well, putting up good points en route to a 3-1 morning record, losing to a rock-solid Barrington team coached by Mr. Price. Even though we lost that match, it was the closest, most intense one we played all day, thus my favorite of the ones I coached. I look forward to more coaching opportunities.

-On any given Saturday, any team can beat any other team. Mr. Price led an impressive team that I was sure would face our A team in the final, but lost an upset to Pekin. Perhaps I'm ignorant of Pekin's background, but this showed me, and should have shown every coach out there, that small schools with small reputations can make some noise. Playing at a tournament like Moline's, you see a few teams that you might never see otherwise, which is always nice.

-As an adherent of the pyramid-rules-all school of thought, I have to lament the lack of a strong question source for F/S tourneys. Yes, there are things like NAQT A-sets, but they don't really serve the purpose. There needs to be someone or some company that steps up to the plate and is willing to dedicate some effort towards producing consistent questions sets. There's a shift in varsity-level preferences, as more and more people are going strictly pyramidal, but an absolutely huge aspect of scholastic bowl is the development of younger players for stronger question sets. It's a shame to see so many F/S teams fall off the map in the varsity world, because the questions are such a step up from what they played in their earlier years. A consistent, reliable question source that would produce what we would call 'good' questions would cultivate a better, more competitive scholastic bowl atmosphere. If we begin to ease from one-liners to increasingly longer questions, more good teams will exist, and teams won't feel totally left behind by their peers. It's been consistently proven that teams that play on tougher sets end up with better results, as had been evident in Loyola and Auburn F/S teams in the past couple of years. So long as teams aren't afraid to get beaten, even murdered, in the beginning, there is true potential for a transition to better scholastic bowl at the F/S level. More tournaments will be possible, as more teams would be competitive. All in all, there needs to be a willing source and willing teams, and we can have a much better situation to work with in the state of Illinois.

/end rambling
Zahed Haseeb

Auburn High School 2010
Charley Pride
Rikku

Post by Charley Pride »

GARBAGE DAY 216 wrote:Slow moderators don't necessarily "read slowly"--they generally don't get the rules or the point of spending the day playing Scholastic Bowl. The problem is that they comment on every question, allow the teams to comment on every question, or don't call time after five/ten/thirty seconds when the rules dictate. On rarer occasions, they confer with the coaches on the acceptability of every answer, an act that is rarely necessary with questions by NAQT unless the moderator is totally clueless. New Trier played ten rounds of IS today, and we got back to New Trier before 5:00, which is what happens when you have a competent Tournament Director who finds competent moderators.

It has become somewhat common for tournaments using IHSA rules to play five matches of 16/16 in the morning. You need to run a very tight ship to play more. By run a tight ship, I mean the TD needs to spend the morning criticizing the rooms that fall behind and taking over the rooms that don't learn from the criticism.

At Northwestern, New Trier won, Loyola B got 4th, and I don't know whether Loyola A or Stevenson A got 2nd. Ben averaged 135 ppg in the first seven rounds with timed matches. Loyola and Stevenson played us close--in particular, we were very lucky to win our first match against Stevenson.
Who else was in the field, and who exactly plays for Stevenson now that Bojidar and Justin are gone?

By the way, congrats.
Zahed Haseeb

Auburn High School 2010
the return of AHAN
Auron

Results of today's Moline Freshman/Sophomore Tournament (32 teams):
Tournament Champions: Rockford Auburn
2nd place: Dunlap
3rd place: Princeton
4th place: Pekin
Consolation Champs: Barrington
6th place: LaSalle-Peru
7th place: Rock Ridge
8th place: Aledo

This tournament began at about 9:20 AM or so, and we played 4 rounds of 20/20, which took about 3 hours. To paraphrase what Zahed said, the questions were a positively buzzer-beatin', hose-a-licious good time! Thanks for the props, Mr. Haseeb, but it's hard to downplay what Pekin did against us, as they won 250-130 by jumping to a big lead and never looked back. I know they subsequently lost their next two, and sure we hammered Lasalle-Peru by 230 in the consolation final, but, as Mr. Pitz said, you don't know what might happen in any given packet. Overall, I was very pleased by our results, particularly since we were missing 3 starters, including my top sophomore and top freshman. Moreover, two of the five players I had today were making their scholastic bowl debuts, and by that I mean they never even played in middle school.
Jeff Price
Barrington High School Coach (2021 & 2023 HSNCT Champions, 2023 PACE Champions, 2023 Illinois Masonic Bowl Class 3A State Champions)
Barrington Station Middle School Coach (2013 MSNCT Champions, 2013 & 2017 Illinois Class AA State Champions)
Charley Pride
Rikku

Post by Charley Pride »

If I sounded like I was downplaying Pekin, I'm sorry. It was a great win for them, and they really did put up some good numbers, given it was a F/S tournament.
Zahed Haseeb

Auburn High School 2010
the return of AHAN
Auron

Nah... No need to apologize. As you said, it's a team neither of us have been up against before. I just feel like they were better than us when we played them, and can't write it off as a fluke! :cool:
Jeff Price
JackGlerum
Tidus

Post by JackGlerum »

MLaudermith wrote:teams were only guaranteed four matches of 16 toss-ups
God that's horrible. It's bad enough to have guaranteed 5 20/20s as the accepted quota, but 4 16/16 is brutal.
Aub-ZH wrote:I have to lament the lack of a strong question source for F/S tourneys.
Amen. Other than our two tournaments, and maybe Fremd, there aren't any good F/S tournaments in Illinois. Hope that changes in the future.
Aub-ZH wrote:Who else was in the field, and who exactly plays for Stevenson now that Bojidar and Justin are gone?
It was three teams from Loyola, three teams from North White (someplace in IN), and one team a piece for New Trier and Stevenson. It was unforunate that nobody else showed up.

Stevenson was pretty good. Zach (spelling?), Jonathan, and Peter were all in the top ten ppg, and Donald (maybe their best player), wasn't there. I'm not convinced though. I think they will be a fine team in Illinois formats with math and miscellaneous and whatever else, but I don't see them as a legit team at better tournaments (see: Earlybird, Harvard, etc). Though I suppose since we got smoked at Earlybird I'm being hypocritical.

As for the Wildcat commentary, I thought the organization was fine and the moderating was "okay not great." There were neither timer nor protest issues that I know of, though one of the moderators was a quite mumbly (read the finals). I have all the same complaints of NAQT questions as the IS-80 thread, notably the word limit greatly effecting the difficulty cliff and amount of buzzer-beaters and bonuses being consistently swept causing big swings in games.

As for some semblance of results, we beat Stevenson by about 100 and 200, and lost to New Trier by 80ish both times. Ben ran away with best individual, as Reinstein said, with 130 something ppg, and Joe got second with 70 something.
David Riley
Auron

Post by David Riley »

Various comments on above posts:

1. New Trier was home from Northwestern by 5pm because they used TIMED rounds. Compare that with Early Bird, where we also played ten rounds but untimed--we weren't done until 6:30. But 4 rounds of 16/16 is a bit much (er..that is, not enough) Admittedly though, just one slow moderator can throw everybody off.

2. Pekin: Does that bring back memories! We once played them in a match at Decatur fr/so. There was a five part bonus on eighteenth century British authors, and I remember thinking "no one will know this". They nailed every one of them!!! As Zahed says, don't underestimate certain teams just because they are unable to get out much! If they have dedicated players, they can rise to the top; or at least, the near top.

3. Northwestern: I pretty much second Jack's comments. I would ask that people give Northwestern a chance to redeem themselves over time; the tournament was a far cry (positively) from the last one I attended a few years ago; congratulations to Rebecca, Andy, and the other officials for doing their best. This should be one of the premiere tournaments in the area.

4. Early Bird--WHERE ARE THE STATS??????
David Riley
Member, PACE, 2012 -

"This is 1183, of course we're barbarians" -- Eleanor of Aquitaine in "The Lion in Winter"
Mechanical Beasts
Banned Cheater

Post by Mechanical Beasts »

David Riley wrote:4. Early Bird--WHERE ARE THE STATS??????
Weren't they just posted like yesterday afternoon?
Andrew Watkins
Stained Diviner
Auron

David Reinstein
Captain Sinico
Auron

Post by Captain Sinico »

Yeah, the prelim stats have been up for a while. We're evidently missing scores from literally two playoff games; maybe Donald can post more about that (and maybe someone observing the games will have the stats?) Once those are located or given up on, everything will be posted. Sorry about that.

MaS

PS: While timed rounds do keep things moving regularly, the fact that NAQT A questions are significantly shorter than the ones we used has at least something to do with the difference in end times (and I'll defend the utility of the longer questions, incidentally.) Also, it's likely that these tournaments started at different times (we were late due to waiting for IMSA, who never showed up with no notice whatsoever...) and maybe had different lunch breaks? Anyway, my point is that timing rounds is far from a panacea in that it won't necessarily make the tournament end all that much earlier and it also causes other important trade-offs.
Mike Sorice
Former Coach, Centennial High School of Champaign, IL (2014-2020) & Team Illinois (2016-2018)
Alumnus, Illinois ABT (2000-2002; 2003-2009) & Fenwick Scholastic Bowl (1999-2000)
Member, ACF (Emeritus), IHSSBCA, & PACE
David Riley
Auron

Post by David Riley »

Found the stats, thanks.

I agree that timed rounds aren't necessarily a panacea, but in planning our own (frosh/soph) tournament I am concerned about having enough qualified moderators to pull off some of the experiments that we would like to try. I don't worry so much at college-hosted tournaments, but at the high school level I'm really hesitant to just say "coaches share the reading" because I know several who would be finishing round 3 when everyone else had started round 5!! (for example). But you're right, there are tradeoffs.
David Riley
Member, PACE, 2012 -

Matt Weiner
Sin

Post by Matt Weiner »

Doing timed rounds with inexperienced moderators is a disaster. The coaches who take an hour to read 20 tossups aren't going to do anything differently; they're just going to create 9-tossup games before the clock goes off.
Matt Weiner
Advisor to Quizbowl at Virginia Commonwealth University / Founder of hsquizbowl.org
Mechanical Beasts
Banned Cheater

Post by Mechanical Beasts »

Matt Weiner wrote:Doing timed rounds with inexperienced moderators is a disaster. The coaches who take an hour to read 20 tossups aren't going to do anything differently; they're just going to create 9-tossup games before the clock goes off.
Yeah, this. It's much better to have a tournament with a few delays (and if you want to play crazy games, you can even experiment with rotating staff through the rooms so no one room runs slow, though I don't know if that would create new problems) and twenty tossup games with long tossups on good academic material than to have timed rounds on an A set where some pivotal game is only played on eleven tossups, four of which are geography and two of which are sports. The one gives you a tournament that's maybe 20% longer than you expected; the other gives you a tournament that's 20% disheartening.

This happened to me my sophomore or junior year; I'm inclined to say the former, but I'm not too certain. The moderator was very nice, but we played the second best team at the tournament during the prelims on eleven questions. Six were academic; one was science. We didn't win.
Andrew Watkins
dtaylor4
Auron

Post by dtaylor4 »

Captain Scipio wrote:Yeah, the prelim stats have been up for a while. We're evidently missing scores from literally two playoff games; maybe Donald can post more about that (and maybe someone observing the games will have the stats?) Once those are located or given up on, everything will be posted. Sorry about that.
I would like to apologize for the delay in the posting of stats. Due to extenuating circumstances, I had to leave after the end of round 8, and when entering the scoresheets that were given to me a few days later, I found that two games were missing. I tried to contact moderators to see who read in that room, but I should have went ahead and posted what I had instead of waiting almost a week after the tournament.
gack1224
Wakka

Post by gack1224 »

I second the observations about Pekin keeping in mind the observations of Zahed about the questions. Personally, I feel like that's what F/S tournaments are going to be like. They're pretty fun, interesting tournaments for new players.

Also, does anyone know if aiquizbowl ratings are gone forever or have they moved?
Cresston Gackle
University of Minnesota '13
JackGlerum
Tidus

Post by JackGlerum »

gack1224 wrote:Personally, I feel like that's what F/S tournaments are going to be like.
Yeah, but it doesn't have to be that way. It is interesting that Mr. Pitz and Mr. Palmer, two coaches that are thought highly of in Illinois, are using/used Patrick's Press and The Question Bank, respectively, at their tournaments this year. It seems like people think one-liners are a good way to "break in" new players. I certainly can see where they are coming from, but I'm really not sure about it.

So now we only have two pyramidal F/S tournaments in the state this year: Ours and Auburn's. After playing at U of I and NU the past two weekends, one of our freshmen asked me, "When are we going to play a F/S tournament that we can compete in?" I'm like "uhhhh, soon." Hopefully better tournaments will come to fruition, so the future of Illinois quizbowl aren't having to answer questions like
Patrick's Press wrote:Which astronomer with the initials W.H. discovered Uranus?
(amusing on many levels)

gack1224 wrote:Also, does anyone know if aiquizbowl ratings are gone forever or have they moved?
Look at threads other than this one.

edit: coherence
Charley Pride
Rikku

Post by Charley Pride »

Identify the part of speech that modifies an adjective or another adverb.
Zahed Haseeb

Auburn High School 2010
David Riley
Auron

Post by David Riley »

Several of us have discussed this informatlly here, but I'll throw the question out to the forum: does any state other than Illinois have a frosh/soph circuit? Don't get me wrong--I like having one, but it would be nice to exchange info with other states, and it would be nice to have a source for pyramidal questions at the fr/so level. I'm not sure NAQT A levels serve that purpose or not, but even if they do it would still be nice to have a variety of suppliers.
David Riley
Member, PACE, 2012 -

cdcarter
Yuna

Post by cdcarter »

David Riley wrote:Several of us have discussed this informatlly here, but I'll throw the question out to the forum: does any state other than Illinois have a frosh/soph circuit? Don't get me wrong--I like having one, but it would be nice to exchange info with other states, and it would be nice to have a source for pyramidal questions at the fr/so level. I'm not sure NAQT A levels serve that purpose or not, but even if they do it would still be nice to have a variety of suppliers.
I have never heard of an actual F/S circuit outside of Illinois. I think that in a few states A-series tournaments are recognized as lower level, but in Minnesota, they get advertised just the same with the other IS tournaments.
Christian Carter
Minneapolis South High School '09 | Emerson College '13
PACE Member (retired)
pray for elves
Auron

Post by pray for elves »

It wasn't a full circuit, but I definitely played in a couple of tournaments intended for "JV" (= frosh/soph) teams in high school. The only one I can remember by name is the Cookeville Cavalier JV Wonder Bowl.
Evan
Georgetown Law Alum, Brandeis Alum, Oak Ridge High Alum
Ex-PACE, Ex-ACF
David Riley
Auron

Post by David Riley »

So who's going to win the Kickoffs?

My predictions:

Northeast: New Trier
Northwest: Auburn
Central: PORTA
South: Carbondale

Any other prospects?
David Riley
Member, PACE, 2012 -

dtaylor4
Auron

Post by dtaylor4 »

David Riley wrote:So who's going to win the Kickoffs?

My predictions:

Northeast: New Trier
Northwest: Auburn
Central: PORTA
South: Carbondale

Any other prospects?
I see Springfield taking the Central Kickoff.
harpersferry
Wakka

Post by harpersferry »

Auburn's going to be at Sterling instead of WN?
John Brown
Rockford Auburn '08
Indiana University '12
JackGlerum
Tidus

Post by JackGlerum »

Yeah... I'm pretty sure Auburn is coming to WN.
Irreligion in Bangladesh
Auron

Post by Irreligion in Bangladesh »

Confirmed it with Coach Greene.

As for the Sterling site, I literally have no idea who's going to win because nobody from the area has done anything yet this year, nor did any of the area teams that did well on pyramidal questions last year (i.e. Byron, Sterling, Rockford East) retained their strengths. I think Byron has one good player from last year, but I'm not sure.

And yeah, Springfield's going to take the central pretty handily.
Brad Fischer
Head Editor, IHSA State Series
IHSSBCA Chair

Winnebago HS ('06)
Northern Illinois University ('10)
Assistant Coach, IMSA (2010-12)
Coach, Keith Country Day School (2012-16)
Charley Pride
Rikku

Post by Charley Pride »

We ARE going to Wheaton. It's gonna be a fun one.
Zahed Haseeb

Auburn High School 2010