NY/NJ 2008-2009

Dormant threads from the high school sections are preserved here.
TheCzarMan
Tidus

NY/NJ 2008-2009

Post by TheCzarMan »

Top 3:
1. Hunter
2. Kellenberg
3. Bergen
Nick Petrilli
Bloomfield High School 2009
Freelance/Mercenary Moderator, TD, Player, and Reader
wowitsquinthaha
Wakka

Re: NY/NJ 2008-2009

Post by wowitsquinthaha »

HUNTER COLLEGE
Quint Carr
Maggie Walker A
GSAC XV Question Editor
GSAC XVI Chief Promoter/Celebrity
gabjoh
Lulu

Post by gabjoh »

Polls say:

Hunter
Stuyvesant
Bergen
Moravian (if you want to count them as in our area, all I remember is they went to some tournament we were in and wiped the floor with everyone)
Kellenberg

Of course, those are from post-nationals this year. Anyone have any thoughts on who the biggest graduating seniors will be?

(Also, does anyone know of any HS tournaments in our area over the summer?)
Gabriel Johnson
Awesome 1992-present
Bergen County Academies (usually B team 07-08, A team 08-10)
Ohio Wesleyan University (founder) 2010–2011
Rutgers-Newark 2011-present
Sen. Estes Kefauver (D-TN)
Chairman of Anti-Music Mafia Committee

Post by Sen. Estes Kefauver (D-TN) »

Stuyvesant and Moravian will be taking the biggest losses, if I understand correctly all of the other teams you list are returning significant players.
Charlie Dees, North Kansas City HS '08
"I won't say more because I know some of you parse everything I say." - Jeremy Gibbs

"At one TJ tournament the neg prize was the Hampshire College ultimate frisbee team (nude) calender featuring one Evan Silberman. In retrospect that could have been a disaster." - Harry White
Whiter Hydra
Auron

Post by Whiter Hydra »

Deesy Does It wrote:Stuyvesant and Moravian will be taking the biggest losses, if I understand correctly all of the other teams you list are returning significant players.
Yetman not trying for a 6th year?
Harry White
TJHSST '09, Virginia Tech '13

Owner of Tournament Database Search and Quizbowl Schedule Generator
Will run stats for food
Ondes Martenot
Tidus

Post by Ondes Martenot »

if I understand correctly all of the other teams you list are returning significant players.
If I'm not mistaken, Hunter returns this player named Guy. Never really heard of him. I read on his wiki that he's OK at funn quizbowl.
Aaron Cohen, Bergen County Academies '08, RPI '12, NYU-???, NAQT writer, HSAPQ writer, PACE writer
aestheteboy
Tidus

Post by aestheteboy »

How good will Bergen be? Who's returning and who's not?
Daichi - Walter Johnson; Vanderbilt; U of Chicago.
Daichi's Law of High School Quizbowl: the frequency of posting in the Quizbowl Resource Center is proportional to the likelihood of being overrated.
Ondes Martenot
Tidus

Post by Ondes Martenot »

Bergen loses Sang and me. Watson will most likely remain the top scorer. There are some players who have potential/motivation to improve like Sib and Gabe and hopefully can fill my void. Then are a bunch of players who tend to specialize in just one subject but could prove useful. I don't know how Bergen will do next year, a big problem is that Watson can't attend a lot of tournaments, and without Watson I'm not sure if Bergen could field a really strong team. However, teams with Watson could easily be very dangerous, especially if some of his teammates improve a bit. Now if only Watson can get his negs down a bit......
Aaron Cohen, Bergen County Academies '08, RPI '12, NYU-???, NAQT writer, HSAPQ writer, PACE writer
The Infanta
Wakka

Post by The Infanta »

As said before, our full A team is coming back. After our unexpectedly good performance at HSNCT, I think things are looking bright for us.
Marisol Brady (they/them)
Kellenberg Memorial HS '09
University of Delaware '1X
TheCzarMan
Tidus

Post by TheCzarMan »

Any updates to rumor of a fall Seton Hall Prep tournament?
Nick Petrilli
Judson Laipply
Rikku

Post by Judson Laipply »

I hope there is, but I have no facts about it.
James L.
Kellenberg '10
UPenn '14
UChicago '20
Terrible Shorts Depot
Yuna

Post by Terrible Shorts Depot »

Time for some controversy:

1. Guy Tabachnick et al.
2. Some random school
3. Some other random school
4. A third random school
Charlie Rosenthal
Shady Side Academy '09
Carleton College '13
University of Pennsylvania '18
Ondes Martenot
Tidus

Post by Ondes Martenot »

So here's my top ten for the NY/NJ region this season

1. Hunter-All indicators point towards Hunter being the top team from this region. With Guy his usual dominant self and set of impressive teammates, it seems like they'll be the team to beat.
2. Bergen-Two words: Watson Ladd. He's already the best science player in the country and I would say among the top ten overall high school players. If his teammates can solidify areas that Watson isn't as dominant in, then Bergen can give Hunter a run for their money.
3. Kellenberg-Balance has always been the hallmark of this team and it look's to stay that way as they keep their entire A team. Expect a Bergen-Kellenberg rivalry that'll likely match last year's Bergen-Seton Hall rivalry.
4. Columbia-Chances are you've never heard of them, because for some reason they don't go to many tournaments. I'm ranking them number 4 in the region on the condition that they start attending a decent number of tournaments.
5. Stuyvesant-I don't know what the status of their team is, but with Aidan around they should still be pretty good.
6. Half Hollow Hills West-Keeps their two highest scorers from Chicago.
7. Seton Hall-Seton Hall lost a very impressive team, so this could be something of a rebuilding year. Nevertheless, I have faith in Mr. Z's ability to form a team that can compete with most of the schools in the region.
8.Kellenberg B-After making the playoffs at Chicago, they should have a decent season
9.Hunter B-another B team with talent, hopefully they will be more active this season
10. Sparta-I know very little about this team, so this ranking could be completely inaccurate. When we faced them twice last year at Chatham, each game came down to the last question and they definitely knew what they were doing. However, I have no idea who they'll be keeping.

Other teams to watch for: East Brunswick, Millburn, Chatham, New Rochelle.
TheCzarMan
Tidus

Post by TheCzarMan »

aarcoh wrote:So here's my top ten for the NY/NJ region this season

1. Hunter-All indicators point towards Hunter being the top team from this region. With Guy his usual dominant self and set of impressive teammates, it seems like they'll be the team to beat.
2. Bergen-Two words: Watson Ladd. He's already the best science player in the country and I would say among the top ten overall high school players. If his teammates can solidify areas that Watson isn't as dominant in, then Bergen can give Hunter a run for their money.
3. Kellenberg-Balance has always been the hallmark of this team and it look's to stay that way as they keep their entire A team. Expect a Bergen-Kellenberg rivalry that'll likely match last year's Bergen-Seton Hall rivalry.
4. Columbia-Chances are you've never heard of them, because for some reason they don't go to many tournaments. I'm ranking them number 4 in the region on the condition that they start attending a decent number of tournaments.
5. Stuyvesant-I don't know what the status of their team is, but with Aidan around they should still be pretty good.
6. Half Hollow Hills West-Keeps their two highest scorers from Chicago.
7. Seton Hall-Seton Hall lost a very impressive team, so this could be something of a rebuilding year. Nevertheless, I have faith in Mr. Z's ability to form a team that can compete with most of the schools in the region.
8.Kellenberg B-After making the playoffs at Chicago, they should have a decent season
9.Hunter B-another B team with talent, hopefully they will be more active this season
10. Sparta-I know very little about this team, so this ranking could be completely inaccurate. When we faced them twice last year at Chatham, each game came down to the last question and they definitely knew what they were doing. However, I have no idea who they'll be keeping.

Other teams to watch for: East Brunswick, Millburn, Chatham, New Rochelle, Bloomfield
:razz:
Nick Petrilli
Ondes Martenot
Tidus

Post by Ondes Martenot »

I sort of forgot about Bloomfield. I guess that happens when you no longer play high school. Nevertheless, Bloomfield's going to need A LOT improvement after a very dissapointing season last year.
TheCzarMan
Tidus

Post by TheCzarMan »

aarcoh wrote:I sort of forgot about Bloomfield. I guess that happens when you no longer play high school. Nevertheless, Bloomfield's going to need A LOT improvement after a very dissapointing season last year.
You got that right.

Luckily, we have a new adviser who seems to actually WANT to go to tournaments this year, and I may actually have formed a stable A team for this year.

Still need to improve in certain areas, but the outlook is more encouraging than last year.

Also, Millburn may not be having that big of a year this year. I guess their adviser has a broken leg or something along those lines, some ailment. But anyways they already canceled their tournament because of that, and I assume their travel will be cut back.
Nick Petrilli
Ondes Martenot
Tidus

Post by Ondes Martenot »

Also, Millburn may not be having that big of a year this year. I guess their adviser has a broken leg or something along those lines, some ailment. But anyways they already canceled their tournament because of that, and I assume their travel will be cut back.
Ok....this doesn't really make much sense because
1. Their tournament is in MARCH
2. They have TWO advisors.
3. Millburn never really traveled much to begin with

If indeed something is wrong with Mr. Urban, I hope it's nothing too serious.
TheCzarMan
Tidus

Post by TheCzarMan »

aarcoh wrote:
Ok....this doesn't really make much sense because
1. Their tournament is in MARCH
2. They have TWO advisors.
3. Millburn never really traveled much to begin with

If indeed something is wrong with Mr. Urban, I hope it's nothing too serious.
Here's the email I got.

To all of our fellow coaches,

After ten years of operation, the Joseph Bookstaber Memorial Academic Tournament
(JBMAT) at Millburn High School will take a hiatus for the 2008-2009.

Due to a variety of reasons (not the least of which is Peter Urban recovering from a torn
achilles tendon & surgery) we felt it best to put JBMAT on hold and to notify all coaches as
soon as possible for your planning purposes (we usually hold the tournament during the
third weekend of March).

Whether JBMAT returns in 2010 is still up in the air. We will let you all know about the
tournament's future when we can.

Wishing your teams a fun, competitive, & enjoyable season, we are,

Peter Urban, Head Coach
John Yi, Assistant Coach
Millburn High School
Academic Quiz Bowl Team
Nick Petrilli
Ondes Martenot
Tidus

Post by Ondes Martenot »

If they're cancelling jbmat this early then it probably has something to do with money, which is a real shame because that was a fun tournament
erkifish26
Lulu

Post by erkifish26 »

aarcoh wrote:Other teams to watch for: East Brunswick, Millburn, Chatham, New Rochelle.
New Rochelle is definitely a team to watch out for- Rebecca Maxfield (their top player) has put up some spectacular numbers at the :chip: tournaments they attend. They also did manage a victory against Hunter A at last year's state championships. However, they are the definition of a one (wo)man team. When she's off (and she goes off from time to time, as 99.9% of us do), the team instantly plummets. Even as far as a supporting cast goes, the team is pretty weak. It would be foolish to ignore them.

I was just wondering also... how do other teams (aka you guys) view us? I was just curious, because it seems that :chip: teams automatically are put in a lower bracket (even though some of the teams are pretty good but happen to play in the wrong format due to old relationships).
Eric Fischer
Byram Hills High School '09
Ondes Martenot
Tidus

Post by Ondes Martenot »

I was just wondering also... how do other teams (aka you guys) view us?
I'm not part of the region anymore but I remember I played New Rochelle guys last year at Seton Hall's tournament. I believe Rebecca couldn't attend and with all due respect I was not impressed. With Rebecca New Rochelle beat Hunter which is impressive so it sounds like the team needs some balance as opposed to just one player.

because it seems that teams automatically are put in a lower bracket
Well it's hard to take teams seriously if they typically participate in :chip: events. With illogical events like Booker T defeating Charter (I mean no disrespect to Booker T but they were not a better team than Charter), bizarre, non-pyramidal questions, all the ethical baggage and the refusal of most top teams to attend NAC, doing well at a :chip: event just doesn't mean much.
erkifish26
Lulu

Post by erkifish26 »

Well, we (Byram Hills) beat Booker T at :chip: Nationals and I like to think that makes us a lot better than we are. Can I keep that inflated mindset? :grin:

But in all seriousness there are a lot of really solid teams that do :chip: just because of tradition, but are discredited just because they are mainly :chip: teams. That's not to say that I like :chip:'s stuff- I'm just saying that just because a team thrives in those tournaments doesn't mean that they can't do well at NAQT, which many people seem to think. I really don't know how Byram Hills matches up to most NAQT teams, because we go so rarely and when we do, we always seem to get just edged out (meaning that we seem to be pretty darn close to most of the teams).

I really wish that we could get a huge tournament to settle some of this stuff once and for all... Quizbowl Battle Royale?!?!?! I know White Plains' Omar Q. Beckins tournament used to be fairly well attended by :chip: and non-:chip: teams alike, but now it seems to be mostly :chip:.
Last edited by erkifish26 on Sat Sep 27, 2008 11:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Eric Fischer

Preferably not, although we can't actually make you change.
"I won't say more because I know some of you parse everything I say." - Jeremy Gibbs

"At one TJ tournament the neg prize was the Hampshire College ultimate frisbee team (nude) calender featuring one Evan Silberman. In retrospect that could have been a disaster." - Harry White
Ondes Martenot
Tidus

Post by Ondes Martenot »

I don't really understand this whole "tradition" thing. You attend tournaments because they have good formats/questions, not because you've been going to that tournament for the past ten years so you'll continue going without even considering the alternatives.

On a more positive note, I'm glad to see Westchester teams like Byram and New Rochelle starting to attend some non :chip: events.
erkifish26
Lulu

Post by erkifish26 »

Basically, the tradition is that there are two leagues in Westchester that have deals with :chip: and they get questions from him. For the most part, the other teams like the questions, so nobody ever really complains. While I'm not a big fan of his questions myself, I must say that it's nice to have 8 tournaments a year all within a half hour drive. Would I rather have NAQT question sets? Of course. But most of the coaches in the area do favor the :chip: style and in the end they make the decisions. Quite honestly, most of the teams in the area would never challenge where we get the questions form, because they don't even know anything else exists. The whole reason New Ro got involved was because I told them that they should go to Seton Hall last year and then they decided that they liked it (something else for them to try to win). Before that, though, they had absolutely no idea that NAQT existed. Some people also prefer the :chip: format because it's "more fun" as a result of its quarter format. Although I don't agree with that philosophy either, many people are willing to sacrifice the question quality for that aspect. Finally, some coaches have relationships with :chip:, as they have been going for multiple years (and 2 teams in Westchester have even gone on to win his national tournament). Although he may be criticized for a lot of things, he definitely is loyal and is always willing to help out the teams that keep coming back. This may be because they make up the majority of his profits, but to the area's coaches, that doesn't really seem matter. Until a large chunk of coaches in the Westchester area try to get the loacl tournaments in NAQT format, they will continue to be :chip: style, making that the main style of the area.
Eric Fischer

I would definitely recommend pointing them the direction of this board next time you see them, either verbally or by giving everyone you see little handouts about it, or something like that.

Ondes Martenot
Tidus

Post by Ondes Martenot »

I agree that having 8 tournaments within a half hour drive is convenient. I will even say that going to :chip: events in Westchester is fine, my point is that teams should also consider other events, which is currently happening with teams like New Rochelle and Byram Hills. In this sense things are on the improve. The next step would be if teams skipped NAC and attended HSNCT or NSC.
Some people also prefer the :chip: format because it's "more fun" as a result of its quarter format.
Sounds like it's more "funn"
he definitely is loyal and is always willing to help out the teams that keep coming back. This may be because they make up the majority of his profits,
I heard that a third of the teams at NAC were from the Westchester area. Is this true?
AKKOLADE
Sin

Post by AKKOLADE »

erkifish26 wrote:I'm just saying that just because a team thrives in those tournaments doesn't mean that they can't do well at NAQT, which many people seem to think.
I really don't think many people hold this view in the most literal sense (playing Chip means you always are terrible) - it's just impossible to make a decent comparison between performance on Chip-style questions and NAQT/HSAPQ/PACE/etc sets due to the inherent inferiority of those questions. Note that the inferiority does not wash off directly onto the teams.

However, if a team does not often play and practice on pyramidal questions, then typically they will not perform as well as a similarly-talented team on the same questions set. I feel it's very safe to say that Thomas Jefferson in Virginia would not be an annual contender for the legit national championships if they did not attend as many pyramidal-style tournaments. Same with every other team that's on the elite level.

I recognize that it's difficult to fight against tradition (since it's human nature to build up traditions), but I truly encourage you to do so. There are pyramidal tournaments in your part of the country; I am sure Guy Tabachnick or someone of similar knowledge of the area would be able to give you recommendations if you should need such tips.

For further information regarding why you should not attend NAC, I suggest this page located on the QBWiki.
Fred Morlan
University of Kentucky CoP, 2017
International Quiz Bowl Tournaments, CEO, co-owner
former PACE member, president, etc.
former hsqbrank manager, former NAQT writer & subject editor, former hsqb Administrator/Chief Administrator
Wall of Ham
Rikku

Post by Wall of Ham »

Come to Cornell's Tournament, October 25! [/plug]
Barry
Cornell
Captain Sinico
Auron

Post by Captain Sinico »

Saying that "a team that does well at Chip wouldn't necessarily do poorly at NAQT" isn't saying much. I think the point is that we don't really know how good teams that play Chip are: we have no good metric for figuring that out and the limited data we have seems to say that even elite Chip teams can be mediocre or poor at other formats. Since so few of the elite teams play Chip anymore, the data for the converse situation are even sparser.
So, basically, it's not clear what Chip success means in terms of success at quizbowl. It certainly stands to reason that some Chip-only (or mostly Chip) teams would be good teams if they played and prepared for other formats and, indeed, some might be able to just walk into a quizbowl tournament and succeed. I guess there's no good way to know at this point.

MaS
Mike Sorice
Former Coach, Centennial High School of Champaign, IL (2014-2020) & Team Illinois (2016-2018)
Alumnus, Illinois ABT (2000-2002; 2003-2009) & Fenwick Scholastic Bowl (1999-2000)
Member, ACF (Emeritus), IHSSBCA, & PACE
AgentZero
Kimahri

Post by AgentZero »

Two questions raised from PHSAT registrations...

1. Where's Bergen Academies?
2. Who is running Stuyvesant this year/who is on the team?
Some kid from Bloomfield High School in New Jersey
Seriously, knock this fake signature stuff off - Fred
ClemsonQB
Tidus

Post by ClemsonQB »

AgentZero wrote:1. Where's Bergen Academies?
Hackensack, NJ
George Stevens

Dorman High School 2008
Clemson University 2012
dyetman89
Wakka

Post by dyetman89 »

AgentZero wrote:2. Who is running Stuyvesant this year/who is on the team?
Stuyvesant is being "run" and captained by Aidan Bonner. No faculty adviser, much less coach, to speak of. The team is such a mess right now (and so dependent upon students who really don't care much about this game, but that's another matter) that I couldn't even tell you who will be comprising the A team, B, etc., with any regularity.
Doug
Brandeis '17
TheCzarMan
Tidus

Post by TheCzarMan »

ClemsonQB wrote:
AgentZero wrote:1. Where's Bergen Academies?
Hackensack, NJ
I believe he meant "Why are they not registered," which I would also like to know.
Nick Petrilli
Stat Boy
Rikku

Post by Stat Boy »

How's the knee, Gilbert?
Adam Marshall,
Walt Whitman '08
Colby '12
dyetman89
Wakka

Post by dyetman89 »

I smell some sort of sports-related tomfoolery.
Doug
Brandeis '17
Ondes Martenot
Tidus

Post by Ondes Martenot »

I believe he meant "Why are they not registered," which I would also like to know.
Me too.
Mechanical Beasts
Banned Cheater

Post by Mechanical Beasts »

Obviously all of the rivalry expressed here should be continued at HFT. I'm not just plugging the tournament, but I think it'd offer a lot of good perspectives: it will notably not be Chip, so teams criticized for only playing Chip should play it; it will notably contain fantastic science (and some especially exciting stuff in the playoff packets, and don't get me started about the finals); it will feature teams from other regions you guys won't play until nationals, if then, like Brookwood and Dunbar. This is the best chance for the NY/NJ region to show us what it's got.

I'm also posting here because emailing all the NJ coaches I could produced squat for a response, and I figure yinz (that's Pittsburghese--see, I'm displaying my regional loyalties, as is appropriate in this forum) guys would be able to persuade your coaches.

To stay on topic: I predict that Hunter will lose to Bergen and Kellenberg at least once this year.
Andrew Watkins
Ondes Martenot
Tidus

Post by Ondes Martenot »

I agree with what Andy said. HFT has some legit questions and one of the most competitive fields at any regular season tournament. As someone from New Jersey, I can say that teams in the area don't really travel much (Seton Hall sometimes will sometimes travel). In our case we were basically without school funding so long trips were out of the question.
I predict that Hunter will lose to Bergen and Kellenberg at least once this year.
Bergen probably can. Watson's performance can be dominant, as he nearly defeated Dorman A at nationals although he still negs a lot, if anything his neg count has gone up (although so have his powers). I'm not sure about Kellenberg. Yeah they're a good team, but looking at the stats from the Maryland tournament, it seems like they couldn't compete with the top teams. That said, it's early in the season, so I easily could be wrong.

That said, I'm curious as to where Bergen is in any of these field updates (like Princeton, LIFT or other NE tournaments). If someone from Bergen is reading this (Watson or Gabe) hopefully they will realize that they need to attend tournaments in the region or there rank of 13th in the pre-season poll is going to be rather meaningless.
Mechanical Beasts
Banned Cheater

Yeah, with respect to Kellenberg I'm mostly saying that because Guy can neg a lot himself. And as the Moravian analyst who questioned HFT's quality because they didn't lose to Dorman by a large enough margin neglected, negs can violently change the outcome of a game (cfe 2005 HSNCT). I think this is reasonable logic.
Andrew Watkins
TheCzarMan
Tidus

Post by TheCzarMan »

I'm sort of shaky on Kellenberg at the moment given their Maryland finish, although that could be an aberration.
Nick Petrilli
Mechanical Beasts
Banned Cheater

I mean, last I heard, demonstrating an ability to lose to WJ, Charter, GDS, and TJ is hardly something to automatically exclude you from being a strong team. I mean, the weakest team they lost to was Charter B, right? Their statistical performance outside that may have been questionable; I'm too tired to take a close look at stats, but on its face I don't think this result alone is enough to predict anything close to doom and gloom.
Andrew Watkins
TheCzarMan
Tidus

Post by TheCzarMan »

everyday847 wrote:I mean, last I heard, demonstrating an ability to lose to WJ, Charter, GDS, and TJ is hardly something to automatically exclude you from being a strong team. I mean, the weakest team they lost to was Charter B, right? Their statistical performance outside that may have been questionable; I'm too tired to take a close look at stats, but on its face I don't think this result alone is enough to predict anything close to doom and gloom.
It's not so much the team's performance, well, its a little of that, its individual.

- Overall Bonus Conversion was about 20 ppg, however there were some games that seemed really out of place, such as the 12.14 against WJ.
- Approximate Neg Ratios, Marisol 4/1, James 2/1, Hunter 2.5/1, Nick 3/1, all of which I think are a little high.
- I need more information on why there were 12 negs against Charter E. That confuses me.

Some of the things giving me doubt could be reasonably explained, but looking at it face value is making me think.
Nick Petrilli
Mechanical Beasts
Banned Cheater

I approve of Dwight's analysis: 0 is right next to 9. This makes sense given that these rounds were twenty tossups long.
Andrew Watkins
SHP Pirate
Rikku

Post by SHP Pirate »

Actually, Aaron ... this is the first time in six years that Seton Hall has not been traveling extensively. Our team is VERY young and I want them to get some local experience under their belts before taking-on the perennial "big-boys".

I would not count-out Kellenberg. They always seem to hit their stride when it counts.

We will be at Princeton, LIFT, Rutgers, and Charter should Bill reschedule for 12/20. (11/15 is Rutgers.)

For the NY/NJ region ... my money is on Hunter and Kellenberg. Guy can be simply awe-inspiring and his supporting cast (I think that Lilly will be joining him this year) is also quite impressive. Kellenberg, like my teams of the last several years, has a good balance. The season is young. Give them time. In New Jersey ... I have no idea. I grant that Watson is probably the best individual player in the state but, what does the rest of BCA's team look like? Columbia has an outstanding team but they so rarely play. Millburn lost its two solid players. Chatham is a team that seems to get better and better each year. East Brunswick played well last year (they beat us for State Championship) but I have no idea who they return. Delbarton can also be a very good team.

Long story short ... New Jersey is up in the air this year. Maybe this is the year for a surprise team to emerge ...

Enough for now. We will see you all at Princeton/LIFT/Rutgers.

- MTZ
Michael T. Zinsmeister
Director of Admission
Seton Hall Preparatory School
West Orange, NJ
TheCzarMan
Tidus

Post by TheCzarMan »

SHP Pirate wrote:Actually, Aaron ... this is the first time in six years that Seton Hall has not been traveling extensively. Our team is VERY young and I want them to get some local experience under their belts before taking-on the perennial "big-boys".

I would not count-out Kellenberg. They always seem to hit their stride when it counts.

We will be at Princeton, LIFT, Rutgers, and Charter should Bill reschedule for 12/20. (11/15 is Rutgers.)

For the NY/NJ region ... my money is on Hunter and Kellenberg. Guy can be simply awe-inspiring and his supporting cast (I think that Lilly will be joining him this year) is also quite impressive. Kellenberg, like my teams of the last several years, has a good balance. The season is young. Give them time. In New Jersey ... I have no idea. I grant that Watson is probably the best individual player in the state but, what does the rest of BCA's team look like? Columbia has an outstanding team but they so rarely play. Millburn lost its two solid players. Chatham is a team that seems to get better and better each year. East Brunswick played well last year (they beat us for State Championship) but I have no idea who they return. Delbarton can also be a very good team.

Long story short ... New Jersey is up in the air this year. Maybe this is the year for a surprise team to emerge ...

Enough for now. We will see you all at Princeton/LIFT/Rutgers.

- MTZ
This is what I pray for.
Nick Petrilli
The Infanta
Wakka

Post by The Infanta »

I know people's predictions on our team's performance will be made with our unexceptional finish at UMD in mind, but, really, it was a bad day. We made the stupid mistake of chugging energy drinks right before playoffs which inevitably made us crash. I was still a little burnt out from the Blake tourney the day before (hence my high neg count). We negged eight times in our game with Charter B which kinda crushed our spirits (we did, however, come within one tossup of possibly beating TJ A). Fortunately, we were able to pick it up towards the end.

That being said, I'm as iffy as most of you are about any chance of us beating Hunter. Sure, Guy can neg, but I don't think it's anything that his bonus conversion can't cancel out.

Hopefully a better day lies on the horizon for us.
Marisol Brady (they/them)
Kellenberg Memorial HS '09
University of Delaware '1X
TheCzarMan
Tidus

Post by TheCzarMan »

Princeton is looking to be a good indicator of how the region sans Hunter and Kellenberg does. Will be interesting to see how SHP's new players do as well as an Aaron-less Bergen team and a Yetman-less Stuyvesant team. As well as the usual suspects of Millburn, East Brunswick, Half Hollow Hills, and Chatham.
Nick Petrilli
Ondes Martenot
Tidus

Post by Ondes Martenot »

I can't really make predictions about Princeton but what I can say is that 3 of East Brunswick's 4 A team members graduated, Millburn lost a bunch of it's A team members and Stuy's program is kind of in disarray (although Aidan is still very good, look at his numbers last year at LIFT when he played without Doug). HHHW is keeping there two highest scorers from nationals so they can always be a threat.

Is SHP really "new"? I seem to recall a bunch of non-senior members last year (although there very impressive A team was all seniors).

Remember that Watson can't always attend tournaments, but I would imagine he'd try to make the first tournament of the year. I really wished Princeton kept individual stats so I can see how the rest of Bergen's players (and in general, every player at the tournament) does. I'm curious as to how well Gabe and Sib do taking my place (assuming they're attending)

For other teams that weren't really active last year (BLOOMFIELD) this a chance to what kind of improvement they've made.

Of course, State College is attending, so that should make things interesting...
We made the stupid mistake of chugging energy drinks right before playoffs
My advice: get a good lunch, and try to spend the hour or so you have for lunch without talking about quizbowl. If you have to talk about quizbowl, talk about any funny negs you had in the prelims.
TheCzarMan
Tidus

Post by TheCzarMan »

aarcoh wrote:For other teams that weren't really active last year (BLOOMFIELD) this a chance to what kind of improvement they've made.
Luckily, our old adviser is gone and our new one really wants to go to tournaments. I know for a fact we're attending three tournaments this fall (Princeton, UPenn, and either Rutgers or Harvard) so we will be getting out more. However, I really can't say how our A team is going to do. Two A team members haven't been able to show up at all to practices yet thanks to Fall Sports, so Princeton will be their first tournament. I'm also receiving some complaints from some of the B team/members for the sake of being members at my use of only pyramidal questions this year. I know last week I got a lot of grief for using packets from Prison Bowl because 'They were too long', so there are some growing pains with members who want to do only trivia that I'm working out at the moment. So my B team I don't expect to be anything worthwhile this year unless I piss a lot of people off and install some eager freshman and sophomores. However, the A team could be decent, assuming the players I have in mind to play up on my science and mathematics weaknesses do do just that.
Nick Petrilli