Georgia 2008-2009

Dormant threads from the high school sections are preserved here.
Xerxes
Lulu

Georgia 2008-2009

Post by Xerxes »

Since Georgians are dominating the "next year" thread, I thought that we should begin our own thread instead...
Last edited by Xerxes on Thu Jun 04, 2009 11:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
grashid
Lulu

Re: Georgia 2008-2009

Post by grashid »

My Predictions for next year, not having looked at stats very thoroughly

Varsity

1. Brookwood ( Vamsi and Arvind are both pretty good)
2. Chattahoochee ( Chatt B has been good, plus two juniors were on the A team at PACE)
3. Walton ( will have the most rebuilding to do next to Norcross)
and the rest is fuzzy to me

JV, I predict Alpharetta as probable winner, but Brookwood has a good system. I would like to say our JV could be on par, but that would be a big lie.
g. rashid Walton 09
"After a few minutes of conversation, Ehrenfest remarked "I think I like your papers better than you," to which Pauli shot back "I think I like you better than your papers." The two became very good friends from then on."
cchiego
Yuna

Post by cchiego »

Brookwood/Chatt/Walton, take your pick. Their top-3 dominance in state will likely continue, but the teams with the best shot at breaking the triumvirate are probably Alpharetta and Centennial, with Norcross and Central Gwinnett as dark horses depending on who they have coming up. And what about the new Gwinnett School for Math/Sci/Tech? This could get interesting. We also shouldn't forget about noted winner of its own 4-team tournament and 172nd place HSNCT finisher Cedar Shoals in 4A.

Hopefully more South Carolina teams other than Brookwood (i.e. like Southside) will continue to venture across the border, making tournaments more interesting.

On a tangential note, did anyone who left this year decide to come to UGA? It seems most of the top in-state players this year went to Tech.
Chris C.
Past: UGA/UCSD/Penn
Present: Solano County, CA
AlphaQuizBowler
Tidus

Post by AlphaQuizBowler »

Gwinnett School for Math/Sci/Tech has the best middle school player I ever faced, and they beat us at Chattahoochee JV early in the season. They didn't come to JV State, so I'm not sure how they've developed over the year. They may be a surprise team in JV next year.
William
Alpharetta High School '11
Harvard '15
hookemhorns10
Lulu

Post by hookemhorns10 »

I think it's a bit too early to tag any favorites for the upcoming year. However, it is probably safe to assume that the usual handful of state powerhouses won't relinquish their status as likely contenders for the State title. Also, I believe that nearly all Georgia teams have a chance of being better next year than they were this year, due to the return of many A team starters.

Perhaps the '08-'09 picture will become a bit clearer at ACE Camp. Who all is going? Which camp will you be attending?
Brookwood will be at the Milligan College camp with about 7 players.
Arvind Sekar
Brookwood '09
Snellville, GA
Xerxes
Lulu

Post by Xerxes »

Walton will be sending 4-5 players to Milligan College and one to Mount St. Mary's.
wd4gdz
Tidus

Post by wd4gdz »

Attention: Georgia Teams

Please come to the FSU HS Tournament on November 1st.

Thanks.
Billy Beyer, formerly of FSU
jrbarry
Tidus

Post by jrbarry »

One thing I can predict for Brookwood in 2008-2009, we probably will not win in anything in JV. Next year's entire squad has only one sophomore on it. We usually have 5-6 sophomores. We could not even find enough quiz bowlers to have freshmen team practices ofr the forst time in 20+ years. Seems our feeder schools sent all the quiz bowlers to the Gwinnett MST School, our county's new magnet school. Hopefully we can recruit some freshmen for 08-09 so we can even field a JV team at any tournament. For thr first time in my 25+ year coaching career, I was truly discouraged this past year in trying to recruit freshmen.

As for varsity in 08-09...if my leading returning players do what they need to to do this summer and on in thr fall, we could be good enough to make the playoffs in a few tournaments. :-)
J.R. Barry
Retired teacher and former coach
Sir Thopas
Auron

Post by Sir Thopas »

jrbarry wrote:One thing I can predict for Brookwood in 2008-2009, we probably will not win in anything in JV. Next year's entire squad has only one sophomore on it. We usually have 5-6 sophomores. We could not even find enough quiz bowlers to have freshmen team practices ofr the forst time in 20+ years. Seems our feeder schools sent all the quiz bowlers to the Gwinnett MST School, our county's new magnet school. Hopefully we can recruit some freshmen for 08-09 so we can even field a JV team at any tournament. For thr first time in my 25+ year coaching career, I was truly discouraged this past year in trying to recruit freshmen.

As for varsity in 08-09...if my leading returning players do what they need to to do this summer and on in thr fall, we could be good enough to make the playoffs in a few tournaments. :-)
Did the magnet school also attract away your watch and car keys?
Guy Tabachnick
Hunter '09
Brown '13

http://memoryofthisimpertinence.blogspot.com/
grashid
Lulu

Post by grashid »

metsfan001 wrote: Did the magnet school also attract away your watch and car keys?
You should write questions for the Great Auk.
g. rashid Walton 09
"After a few minutes of conversation, Ehrenfest remarked "I think I like your papers better than you," to which Pauli shot back "I think I like you better than your papers." The two became very good friends from then on."
Xerxes
Lulu

Post by Xerxes »

jrbarry wrote:One thing I can predict for Brookwood in 2008-2009, we probably will not win in anything in JV. Next year's entire squad has only one sophomore on it. We usually have 5-6 sophomores. We could not even find enough quiz bowlers to have freshmen team practices ofr the forst time in 20+ years. Seems our feeder schools sent all the quiz bowlers to the Gwinnett MST School, our county's new magnet school. Hopefully we can recruit some freshmen for 08-09 so we can even field a JV team at any tournament. For thr first time in my 25+ year coaching career, I was truly discouraged this past year in trying to recruit freshmen.
Edit: Actually what I suggested was stupid - the entire thing collapsed. But we still interested more people than we usually would.
Last edited by Xerxes on Wed Jun 25, 2008 3:52 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Epic Fail Guy
Lulu

Post by Epic Fail Guy »

I'm starting a team at warner robins high school this year.

wish me luck.
Marble-faced Bristle Tyrant
Yuna

Post by Marble-faced Bristle Tyrant »

uga_chris wrote:On a tangential note, did anyone who left this year decide to come to UGA? It seems most of the top in-state players this year went to Tech.
Well gosh, I hope they decide to continue in college. Heaven knows we need new, good players. Apparently the mentality before I arrived was "good players will show up on their own without any advertising". Didn't work.
Epic Fail Guy wrote:I'm starting a team at warner robins high school this year.
wish me luck.
Good luck, guy! Us Maconites are always under the impression that the Houston Co. schools are great; I'm surprised you all don't already have strong teams.

Not surprising not to see any mention of Central. Everything started to fall apart at the end of my junior year ('05-'06), starting with the NAQT nationals trip planning (or lack thereof).

fsb
Farrah Bilimoria
Formerly of Georgia Tech and Central High School (Macon)
AlphaQuizBowler
Tidus

Our Comparisons thread started out quickly, but it seems to have slowed down. I have been looking over the stats and working on my predictions for Georgia quizbowl next year, and now that ACE Camp is over, I think it’s a good time to post them.

1. Brookwood- Returning Arvind and Vamsi, State is theirs to lose at this point. Both of those players averaged over 20 PP20TUH at HSNCT and over 30 PP20TUH at PACE. Vamsi placed first on the test at ACE Camp, and Arvind placed second. Brookwood finished considerably lower than Walton at HSNCT, but maintained a higher PPB in the prelims, showing their depth of knowledge. They finished well at PACE, so I’m inclined to think they do better on pure academic instead of the NAQT mix. Plus, with their JV-State winning sophomores, their high scorers will have a good supporting cast. One question: Can they be competitive on a national level next year?

2. Chattahoochee- They had a great season last year, but with Adam, Matt, and Sai leaving, they’ll have some holes to fill. I’m guessing that Mr. Roundtree will be able to take those juniors (and a sophomore, who I think I remember from JV State) that averaged around 20 PP20TUH at PACE and build another powerhouse team. They’ve got a good start from ACE Camp, where Austin Wallace tied for 4th on the test and Wes won Social Studies, so depending on how much they practice and study, they could beat Brookwood this season. However, Brookwood definitely has the advantage going into the season.

3. Walton- They return their highest scorer, Kayhan, who I’ve already said is a great player, and he’s only a junior next year. He tied for 4th on the test at ACE Camp. After him, though, they lose Philip Gibbs, Michael Crommett, and Jason Wien, who together make up the bulk of their scoring. If Kayhan can build a team around himself with Gazi and Rahul, they will do well this season. But if he doesn’t get support, I’m not sure his high scoring alone can take them very far.

4. Central Gwinnett- I think this team can finally break the top 4. Part of it is because Norcross will be in a down year, having lost almost all of their scoring from last year. But it’s also because Patrick will return, and he put up impressive numbers at Berry last year. They beat Southside to win the Dorman Season Ender, and Patrick was high scorer there. I don’t think he can take on the big 3, but their sophomore team was one of the few that beat us at JV State last year, so he’ll have some support. Central should be able to perform well at state.

Sleepers:
Norcross- They have a good program historically, so who’s to say they can’t rebuild in time to make a charge? In any case, they will have some high finishes in tournaments this year.

Alpharetta- My team is young, but last year we pulled off some victories and close games with top teams. We return only one senior, but I think my teammates are willing to study hard enough to pick it up a notch next year.

JV
1. Alpharetta- I don’t like putting my team first, but in terms of performance last year and amount of scoring returning, we are the favorites. We won Parkview Freshman and Sequoyah JV, and placed 2nd at UGA JV and JV State. We return 3 players, including me, the captain. Our upcoming freshman class has some of the members of last year’s PAGE Middle School State Championship team. I’m hoping that we can practice and study hard enough to stay competitive.

2. Central Gwinnett- I put them here because of their 9th graders’ performance at JV State last year. They were the only team to beat Brookwood, the eventual champions. I never played their freshman team, but I can imagine they’ll be very good next year.

Sleepers:
GSMST-We played them early in the season, and Brandon (who played for Mcconnell MS) was still at the top of his game. They did well at Brookwood JV, but were notably absent from JV State. If they attend more tournaments, they could make a splash this coming season.

Brookwood- I know that Mr. Barry, despite the recruiting issues he mentioned in an earlier post, will bring a competitive team to JV State. With his coaching, Brookwood always has a chance to do well, and definitely shouldn’t be written off.
William
Harvard '15
Xerxes
Lulu

Post by Xerxes »

AlphaQuizBowler wrote: 1. Brookwood- Returning Arvind and Vamsi, State is theirs to lose at this point. Both of those players averaged over 20 PP20TUH at HSNCT and over 30 PP20TUH at PACE. Vamsi placed first on the test at ACE Camp, and Arvind placed second. Brookwood finished considerably lower than Walton at HSNCT, but maintained a higher PPB in the prelims, showing their depth of knowledge. They finished well at PACE, so I’m inclined to think they do better on pure academic instead of the NAQT mix. Plus, with their JV-State winning sophomores, their high scorers will have a good supporting cast. One question: Can they be competitive on a national level next year?
I also think that it is important to note that, although we did place higher than Brookwood at the HSNCT, that was largely due to our early losses, which, coupled with NAQT's swiss pairing system, made our draw considerably easier than Brookwood's. I think it is also importatn to note that Walton did not defeat Brookwood a single time last year, and I don't think we beat them in the '06-'07 schoolyear either. Arvind was one of the best lit players at ACE, and Vamsi was one of the best Social Studies players. They also have some good support. considering that they comprised the bulk of the scoring on Brookwood's second place team last year, I would say that, as of now, they are the best team in Georgia.
AlphaQuizBowler wrote: 2. Chattahoochee- They had a great season last year, but with Adam, Matt, and Sai leaving, they’ll have some holes to fill. I’m guessing that Mr. Roundtree will be able to take those juniors (and a sophomore, who I think I remember from JV State) that averaged around 20 PP20TUH at PACE and build another powerhouse team. They’ve got a good start from ACE Camp, where Austin Wallace tied for 4th on the test and Wes won Social Studies, so depending on how much they practice and study, they could beat Brookwood this season. However, Brookwood definitely has the advantage going into the season.
I assume by Austin Wallace you mean Austin Wang, who played well at ACE, and captained upper-division teams at every nightly tournament. Wes Austin was also a great player, and as you said, won the social studies division at ACE. Those two players, along with Victoria Shore, Kristen Jolly, and Connie Prater (I'm guessing that will be there starting lineup) will form a very balanced team with depth in many areas. And knowing Chatt's program, they will definitely improve throughout the year.

EDIT: Forgot Pallavi. My apologies.
AlphaQuizBowler wrote: 3. Walton- They return their highest scorer, Kayhan, who I’ve already said is a great player, and he’s only a junior next year. He tied for 4th on the test at ACE Camp. After him, though, they lose Philip Gibbs, Michael Crommett, and Jason Wien, who together make up the bulk of their scoring. If Kayhan can build a team around himself with Gazi and Rahul, they will do well this season. But if he doesn’t get support, I’m not sure his high scoring alone can take them very far.
HSNCT results were not very indicative of Walton as a team. Gazi averaged over 40 ppg at the first two tournaments of the year, and had a strong performance at state. Rahul's participation next year is still uncertain, but even without him, we should still return a lineup much stronger than that of last year's. We have holes to fill, especially considering that we are losing Philip's great depth in his strong subjects, but we are willing to work to fill them. Right now, we are probably the weakest of the "big three," but, as our large (relative to ourselves) ACE attendance shows, we are willing to work to change that.
AlphaQuizBowler wrote: 4. Central Gwinnett- I think this team can finally break the top 4. Part of it is because Norcross will be in a down year, having lost almost all of their scoring from last year. But it’s also because Patrick will return, and he put up impressive numbers at Berry last year. They beat Southside to win the Dorman Season Ender, and Patrick was high scorer there. I don’t think he can take on the big 3, but their sophomore team was one of the few that beat us at JV State last year, so he’ll have some support. Central should be able to perform well at state.
From what I understand, Central is returning their entire A-team. That A-team was very strong in JV two years ago, and will almost definitely upset some top teams at some poiint throughout the year. If I understand correctly, those sophomores will be on the B-team.
AlphaQuizBowler wrote: Sleepers:
Norcross- They have a good program historically, so who’s to say they can’t rebuild in time to make a charge? In any case, they will have some high finishes in tournaments this year.
At this point, Norcross has no coach. Chad Gunnells attends tournaments with them even though he does not work at Norcross (very impressive devotion). If they can organize practices themselves, thay can still be a strong team. Their B-team was strong, as was their JV team. They have good players to fill the void left by last year's seniors, and still have somewhat overelooked potential.
AlphaQuizBowler wrote: Alpharetta- My team is young, but last year we pulled off some victories and close games with top teams. We return only one senior, but I think my teammates are willing to study hard enough to pick it up a notch next year.
Alpharetta is returning most of its starting lineup, but as William said, they still are young. Although they might not have the depth to take the top Georgia teams right now, thay have some solid players, and, if they work hard, will be a tough team to beat at year's end.
AlphaQuizBowler wrote: JV
1. Alpharetta- I don’t like putting my team first, but in terms of performance last year and amount of scoring returning, we are the favorites. We won Parkview Freshman and Sequoyah JV, and placed 2nd at UGA JV and JV State. We return 3 players, including me, the captain. Our upcoming freshman class has some of the members of last year’s PAGE Middle School State Championship team. I’m hoping that we can practice and study hard enough to stay competitive.
With William and Gautam returning, Alpharetta will have the best JV team in the state by a pretty large margin. That's not to say that they can't be beat, but they will have a solid team, and, with another year of experience, they should be able to fill any knowledge gaps from last season.
AlphaQuizBowler wrote: 2. Central Gwinnett- I put them here because of their 9th graders’ performance at JV State last year. They were the only team to beat Brookwood, the eventual champions. I never played their freshman team, but I can imagine they’ll be very good next year.
With all due respect to Central, i'm prettys sure that game was a fluke, as we beat Central B at JV state quite easily, and JV state was almost definitely our worse tournament last year. That being said, Central has a perenially good program, and should be able to form a strong team.
AlphaQuizBowler wrote:Sleepers:
GSMST-We played them early in the season, and Brandon (who played for Mcconnell MS) was still at the top of his game. They did well at Brookwood JV, but were notably absent from JV State. If they attend more tournaments, they could make a splash this coming season.
I think we played GSMST at Chattahoochee, and again, beat them quite easily in what was almost definitely our second worse tournament of the year. Of course, I could be wrong. From what I hear about Brandon, GSMST will only continue to improve upon the work they did last year.
AlphaQuizBowler wrote: Brookwood- I know that Mr. Barry, despite the recruiting issues he mentioned in an earlier post, will bring a competitive team to JV State. With his coaching, Brookwood always has a chance to do well, and definitely shouldn’t be written off.
Agreed. A school of 3,500 people should still have some strong players, even if many of them chose to enter the Gwinnett County Magnet Progam. Brookwood is perenially good, and always improves over the season.

Speaking of perenially good teams that always improve as the season progresses, I think that Chattahoochee will probably have a strong JV team next year, even though most of their scoring will move up to Varsity. As for Walton, our sophomores and freshman have miles to cover and huge knowledge gaps to fill, but will hopefully rise to become as competitive as some of the other top JV teams.
Last edited by Xerxes on Fri Aug 01, 2008 7:24 pm, edited 3 times in total.
AlphaQuizBowler
Tidus

Yeah, now that you point it out, my JV predictions are pretty shaky. It's hard to predict without stats, and no individual stats are kept at JV State or any other JV Tournament in GA I know of. In addition, because of the middle school circuit, freshman can come in and tear it up at the JV level. And I don't know how much of the scoring is being retained by the rest of the JV Teams. So while I'm confident in my Varsity predictions, I'll have to wait for some JV tournaments to have a clearer picture.
William
Harvard '15
Andrew's a Freshman
Wakka

Post by Andrew's a Freshman »

I'll say Alpharetta's JV team will be very impressive next year and will easily be the time to beat. Central Gwinnett I was not impressed enough with to give them the credit you're giving to them, though I only saw them play a few times last year. I wasn't at JV state, which is apparently where all of those thoughts are coming from. GSMST I expect to be the second best team in the state, behind Alpharetta, as they will have their entire team returning as sophomores. They were strong last year and should have a good balance of scoring since all of their players will have had plenty of experience.

I still want to express my hopefulness in Norcross next year, mostly in JV. Our varsity team should be strong, but I don't expect us to be extremely competitive out of the first few rounds of the playoffs. Our seniors aren't as dedicated as they need to be to compete in the top tier of Georgia teams. That combined with our coachless-ness and our scarcity of players makes it hard to put together a solid team. In JV, however, I am very hopeful that I'll be able to rile up a few semi-experienced sophomores and freshmen to compete pretty strongly with Alpharetta and the other top teams. I'm confident, but I'll still have to see in a few months how it turns out.
Last edited by sabine01 on Mon Jul 14, 2008 10:50 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Typographical
Norcross High School '11
Northwestern University '15
AlphaQuizBowler
Tidus

Andrew,
The Norcross JV team impressed me last year at the one tournament I played against them, Sequoyah JV, and I was disappointed to not see them at JV State, where they could have finished highly. I'm not sure who you're returning, but if you return the captain of that Sequoyah team, you'll do well next year.

GMSMT was also missing from JV State, and the only time I played them was early in the season at Chattahoochee. They don't appear to have attended many tournaments last year, which is why I had them as a sleeper team for next year. If they start showing up, they could do as well as you say they can, but right now I'm just not sure. I agree with Kayhan that Chattahoochee will also field a competitive team, and right now I think they and Brookwood are the most likely to be threats in JV next year.
William
Harvard '15
Gunnells
Lulu

Post by Gunnells »

Aside from the Brookwood-Chattahoochee-Walton triumvirate, there should be a few teams battling for 4th and with the potential to break into the top three.

Alpharetta has been steadily improving and seems poised to become a player at the regional level.

Central Gwinnett could potentially be as strong as Central 07. They started a team of all JR's last year, and they gave a few teams fits in the second semester.

Norcross will be interesting. There is enough to talent to duplicate 07, where the team earned a few top four finishes and made NAQT nationals, but it's too soon to see how the program will develop. In addition to the missing sponsor, the SR class is worrisome. They have a lot of ability, but have not yet shown the dedication to lead a strong program. The leading scorer should be a JR who has the potential to eventually be as good as Ben. The JV should be strong. The JV captain is a solid varsity level player, and should get plenty of split duty experience this year.

In single A, Rabun-Gap Nacoochee School could be the best team in Rabun County.
Rabun Gap-Nacoochee School
late of Norcross
AlphaQuizBowler
Tidus

Does anyone know yet what IS set and what A-set will be adapted for GATA Varsity and JV States?
William
Harvard '15
... and the chaos of Mexican modernity
Rikku

Post by ... and the chaos of Mexican modernity »

North Myrtle Beach will be coming to many Georgia tournaments next year.
Zach Foster
North Myrtle Beach High School class of 2009
George Mason University class of 2013
AlphaQuizBowler
Tidus

That's good to know, Zach. Are you guys gonna be at Walton on October 11?
William
Harvard '15
Ben_Dodson
Lulu

Post by Ben_Dodson »

In single A, Rabun-Gap Nacoochee School could be the best team in Rabun County.
I believe you guys are undefeated right? Look forward to seeing how you guys do over the next few years. :grin:

I believe Brookwood will be the strongest program in Georgia this year without question. They have two very strong players returning on their A, and their B team and JV was very solid as well. Walton is losing several top scorers as is Chattahoochee and Norcross. Central returns one strong player with Patrick. Alpharetta I'm not so sure, but even retaining most of their scorers, I would guess a 4th or 5th at State for them. Centennial lost their best player. Parkview I believe is still rebuilding, although improved over the course of last year. They could also contend for around 4th-5th for State. All across the board it seems like every school is rebuilding except for Brookwood. I wouldn't be surprised if tournaments in Georgia ended up being a fight between Brookwood and Dorman for the top spots (or Dorman A, B, and C...)
quizbowler111
Kimahri

Post by quizbowler111 »

Hey, does anyone know where any previous Georgia JV / Varisty question sets are? Thanks.
jrbarry
Tidus

Post by jrbarry »

[email protected]

Ms Leila Bass is in charge of the GATA question sale and has all the JV State questions you could ever want (to buy).
J.R. Barry
AKKOLADE
Sin

Post by AKKOLADE »

The discussion of GATA questions has been moved here.
Fred Morlan
University of Kentucky CoP, 2017
International Quiz Bowl Tournaments, CEO, co-owner
former PACE member, president, etc.
former hsqbrank manager, former NAQT writer & subject editor, former hsqb Administrator/Chief Administrator
Rountree
Rikku

Post by Rountree »

It really depends on how you want to rank teams going into a season as to where the teams should go. I feel it is a bit premature to rank teams before they have played any games, especially against each other, as you have no data to draw from, but I will offer my observations all the same.

Based solely on returning scoring and game experience, Varsity 5A shakes down like this right now:

1. Brookwood - returns top 2 scorers from last year's team who have oodles of big-game experience; 2-3 rising juniors could add a tremendous boost as they won JV State last year. I predict the Brookwood A Team will be made up of 2 seniors and 2 juniors in the not too distant future. As they are almost every year, Brookwood will be the team to beat in 5A.

2. Chattahoochee - returns 3 of top 5 players from last year's State Championship team, but lost to Brookwood as many times as they beat them. (Obviously, Adam and Matt will be very hard to replace, but 5 seniors make it more manageable than in previous years for the Hooch.) A junior or two could contribute early on the A Team and possibly stay there for the long haul? These top 2 teams in 5A should go back and forth all the year with most games likely ending up in a coin-flip. The State Championship came down to the last question in 08 and it could happen again this year.

3. Central Gwinnett OR Walton - lots of talent on both teams and a lot of it was there last year, so their potential upside is huge. I think Walton could surprise A LOT of people this year. Andy at MSM and Kayhan at MC were very strong players this summer at ACE camps. Along with Gazi and Rahul, they could be quite formidable. Ms. Hirsch at CGHS knows how to build a team and get them to improve over the course of the season; this year will be no different.

5. Alpharetta - very young, very fast, and quite knowledgeable. Mr. Rashford has been building the program steadily over the past few years and it will start to pay off big time this year and in the near future. William is very strong, but was a one man wrecking crew the few times I watched them last year at the JV level - he will need lots of help to defeat 5 man teams in the State Championships.

Mr. Rountree - Head Coach CHS Academic Team
Elliott Rountree
Lambert Coach, 2017-present
Buford Coach, 2014-2015
Chattahoochee Coach, 2004-2014
GATA, 2018-present; 2007-2014
ACE, 2000-2013
AlphaQuizBowler
Tidus

Well, now that one tournament is done, we have some data to look at. Brookwood looked strong, had very balanced individual scoring, and beat Chattahoochee. They got smoked by Dorman A twice, 515-180 and 460-190, but that's probably going to be the story for most teams this year anyway. Chattahoochee had 3 strong scorers, and played a close match against Dorman A. We brought a JV team, and didn't play Chattahoochee or Brookwood A. A loss to Brindlee put us fifth after the prelims, and we won the JV bracket, defeating Dorman JV 410-105. So that pretty much confirms what I thought: Brookwood is better right now, Chattahoochee's close behind them, and we're somewhere after that.
William
Harvard '15
Rountree
Rikku

Post by Rountree »

From what I heard, Brookwood did indeed look strong. It would have been nice for the GA schools to have played each other more over the course of the tournament. (Of course there were only a handful of GA teams present anyway.) None of my predictions have changed so far for Varsity 5A. As I said, Brookwood played with one junior on their A Team and their B Team had a solid showing as well. Chattahoochee was without one of its top 3 scorers, but the 3 seniors and junior performed admirably without him. All in all, I was very proud of my team's performance, (except for all the negs :wink: ). Hopefully, we will get to play more GA teams at Ezell Harding and/or UTC before Walton. Good luck to everyone at the upcoming tournaments!

-Mr. Rountree, Head Coach CHS Academic Team
Elliott Rountree
Buford Coach, 2014-2015
ACE, 2000-2013
jrbarry
Tidus

Post by jrbarry »

Brookwood looked decent on that NAQT A set at alabama. Don't go overboard: Brookwood has a looooooong way to go to be good.

Some of you may remember my fear about NOT having any freshmen last year (we usually have 20 9th graders!). Well, after massive recruiting, we had 8 freshmen at our Freshman Team practice last week. Hallelulah, there is hope.

I will be curious to see how active GMST (Gwinnett County magnet) will be this year. Seems like they only went to two tournaments last year.
J.R. Barry
Rountree
Rikku

Post by Rountree »

I agree: the Gwinnett Magnet School is a real unknown going into the JV schedule because of how few tournaments they attended last year. Their captain was a VERY good player and even though they lost a couple prelim games at Brookwood they still made a deep run in the playoffs, going out in the Semis I believe. (Mr. Barry can fact check that for us.) They also made it into the playoffs at the CATT 3 a year ago. They made a run there too, losing in the Quarters to Dorman A. Those are the only 2 tournaments I know of that they went to. If they double or triple their tournament attendance this year AND go to JV State, they will compete for the State Championship or a top four finish at least. Alpharetta is still probably the team to beat in JV, but a few other teams may keep it interesting.

Which GA teams are going to Ezell Harding and/or UTC before Walton (which I assume will have a large contingent of GA teams present)?
Elliott Rountree
Buford Coach, 2014-2015
ACE, 2000-2013
jrbarry
Tidus

Post by jrbarry »

Sept 20 is Gwinnett County Championship. No Ezell-Harding for us.

Brookwood will have one team at UTC. We should have 4 or 5 teams at Walton.
J.R. Barry
Rountree
Rikku

Post by Rountree »

It's unfortunate that we will not get to see any of the Gwinnett schools at Ezell this year. Are Walton and Alpharetta or any other GA schools going to Ezell? It is an exceptionally well-run tournament with well-edited questions in my opinion.
Elliott Rountree
Buford Coach, 2014-2015
ACE, 2000-2013
grashid
Lulu

Post by grashid »

Walton should be taking one team.
g. rashid Walton 09
jburnsOHS
Lulu

Post by jburnsOHS »

What's with rising tournament registration fees in GA this year? Programs are already being crippled by the costs of transportation and tighter restrictions on registration, fundraising efforts are falling flat, and two of the fall tournaments have raised prices to $65 and $70 per team. I hope this doesn't become a trend.
Jeff Burns
Coach Ola High School
McDonough GA
CSQuizJags
Tidus

Post by CSQuizJags »

I think you just answered the question yourself.
Cedar Shoals HS Academic Team:
2011, 2012, and 2013 Classic City Academic Team Champions
2014 Region 8-AAAAA Varsity and JV Champions
2013 GATA Class AAAAA JV State Champions
2014 WSB-TV HighQ Tournament Champions
Arthur Banks, Advisor
Sen. Estes Kefauver (D-TN)
Chairman of Anti-Music Mafia Committee

Post by Sen. Estes Kefauver (D-TN) »

I thought tournaments in the mid-Atlantic were routinely $70-$100.
Charlie Dees, North Kansas City HS '08
"I won't say more because I know some of you parse everything I say." - Jeremy Gibbs

"At one TJ tournament the neg prize was the Hampshire College ultimate frisbee team (nude) calender featuring one Evan Silberman. In retrospect that could have been a disaster." - Harry White
Matt Weiner
Sin

Post by Matt Weiner »

Base costs for Mid-Atlantic HS tournaments announced to this forum so far: $50, $60, $75, $55, $60, $100.

The $75 one offers substantial discounts including -$20 for B teams. The $100 one is Princeton, who can apparently get a large field together even at that price.
Matt Weiner
Advisor to Quizbowl at Virginia Commonwealth University / Founder of hsquizbowl.org
Rountree
Rikku

Post by Rountree »

Charles, you might be correct, although my team has been to several tournaments in the Mid-Atlantic that were nowhere near 70-100 bucks per team. (I think it cost up $50 for 1 team 2 years ago when we went to Maggie Walker's tournament, but that was in VA). I agree with Jeff. The reason my tournament decreased the cost of registration 5 bucks per team is because of the rising cost of transportation. Last year we charged $60 for 1 team, 55 for the 2nd, 50 for the 3rd, etc. This year it is $60 for 1 team, 50 for the 2nd, 40 for the 3rd, and 30 for the 4th with a maximum of 4 teams per school. I think that is more than fair for registration costs. I am not sure why so many tournaments within the ATL metro area vary by as much as $10 per team. Thanks for the info Matt.
Elliott Rountree
Buford Coach, 2014-2015
ACE, 2000-2013
jburnsOHS
Lulu

Post by jburnsOHS »

Raising prices could definitely be a two-edged sword. I'll probably be cutting tournaments and teams this year. Especially unfortunate, since I have 30 kids coming out so far, more than ever before.
Jeff Burns
Coach Ola High School
McDonough GA
jrbarry
Tidus

Post by jrbarry »

My tournament fees have been the same since 1990. We did add a late fee of $15 to try and get teams to register in a timely fashion.

Who's charging more than $60 in GA? Walton at $65?
J.R. Barry
Rountree
Rikku

Post by Rountree »

Other than Walton at $65, which has been the price for several years, and Cedar Shoals, which is usually at $70, I don't know of any other tournaments that are over $60 in Georgia. Neither or those tournaments offer discounts for bringing multiple teams either. (I think Cedar Shoals offers a discount for bringing a reader or worker, but I am unsure how much it is? Maybe $10?) Discounts for bringing multiple teams isn't as common in the South as it is further North. Perhaps it should be?!?
Elliott Rountree
Buford Coach, 2014-2015
ACE, 2000-2013

I'm all for supporting multiple team discounts, no matter where they are.
"I won't say more because I know some of you parse everything I say." - Jeremy Gibbs

"At one TJ tournament the neg prize was the Hampshire College ultimate frisbee team (nude) calender featuring one Evan Silberman. In retrospect that could have been a disaster." - Harry White
CSQuizJags
Tidus

Post by CSQuizJags »

Elliot, It's $5 per worker limit two. The only tournament that seems to be used at is the JV Jag (upperclassmen come read and help the team too). The Bulldog Brawl at Cedar Shoals has had a sliding scale since 2004 (something like 70 for one, +65 for the second, +60 for the third and +50 for each team after that), and we may impose that for our other Varsity event too. I know the one time we went to Savannah Country's tournament, they charged $70. Sign of the times, I guess.
Cedar Shoals HS Academic Team:
2011, 2012, and 2013 Classic City Academic Team Champions
2014 Region 8-AAAAA Varsity and JV Champions
2013 GATA Class AAAAA JV State Champions
2014 WSB-TV HighQ Tournament Champions
Arthur Banks, Advisor
Rountree
Rikku

Post by Rountree »

Thanks for the clarification Robbin. Like I said, I wasn't sure what the discount was for, or how much it was for. I think that due to the large number or Varsity teams in the ATL-metro area you would get a very positive response if you gave discounts for multiple teams at both of your Varsity tournaments. If I remember correctly, y'all typically have 20-30 teams at your tournaments, but you might get 5-10 more just by making it a little cheaper for schools to send multiple teams? Who knows?!?
Elliott Rountree
Buford Coach, 2014-2015
ACE, 2000-2013
jrbarry
Tidus

Post by jrbarry »

I have never fully understood the idea of discounts for multiple teams entered.

One way of looking at it is this: schools with lots of kids playing quiz bowl and who can afford to enter multiple teams, pay less per team than schools with fewer kids on their teams and often teams who have less money available for entering tournaments. Seems backwards to me, at least when looking at it that way.

Also, I cannot imagine anyone actually adding a team to a tournament because they get a $5 or $10 per team discount. I assure you that we bring lots of teams to places like Chattahoochee and Dorman and Walton because their tournaments are quality and convenient and not because of any discount.

Just sayin'
J.R. Barry
AKKOLADE
Sin

Post by AKKOLADE »

There's a few reasons for it that I think are good:

* Helps convince fence sitters that they should send a second/third team
* A general thank you to schools that help fill the field
* It's a basic marketing idea - the $5 is not going to be a big deal in the long run, but it helps call attention to the fact that multiple teams from one school is allowed and encouraged
Fred Morlan
former hsqbrank manager, former NAQT writer & subject editor, former hsqb Administrator/Chief Administrator

Exactly. Also, there is a significant problem, at least in Missouri, where coaches often feel like bringing 8 alternates for one team instead of splitting it up into one or 2 teams, because they are not used to the concept of B teams, along with thinking that JV teams can't play in varsity events. I doubt this is as bad a problem in Goergia, but those are some reasons I can find to emphasize the use of B teams.

cvdwightw
Auron

Post by cvdwightw »

Deesy Does It wrote:Exactly. Also, there is a significant problem, at least in Missouri, where coaches often feel like bringing 8 alternates for one team instead of splitting it up into one or 2 teams, because they are not used to the concept of B teams, along with thinking that JV teams can't play in varsity events. I doubt this is as bad a problem in Goergia, but those are some reasons I can find to emphasize the use of B teams.
Nothing can quite prepare you for watching a coach pull all four of his players at halftime and still have players who didn't play in a game. I think I've seen a team with like 11 players on it at a tournament.

By the way, I'm guessing we're going to split this discussion of fees from the Georgia thread at some point, so I'll just point out that base fees in California have hovered around $80-$100 since I began playing, with $100 being the norm.

UCLA seems to think that raising their base fee to $110 is a good idea. I think this is a load of rubbish. Schools that typically send multiple teams to tournaments are already having to say, "We'd like to come, but our budget ran out" for a lot of the late-winter and spring tournaments. When teams are already strapped for funds and tournament fees continue to increase, this is a bad sign for the health of the circuit whether you're used to $60 or $100 tournament fees.
Dwight Wynne
socalquizbowl.org
UC Irvine 2008-2013; UCLA 2004-2007; Capistrano Valley High School 2000-2003

"It's a competition, but it's not a sport. On a scale, if football is a 10, then rowing would be a two. One would be Quiz Bowl." --Matt Birk on rowing, SI On Campus, 10/21/03

"If you were my teammate, I would have tossed your ass out the door so fast you'd be emitting Cerenkov radiation, but I'm not classy like Dwight." --Jerry
AKKOLADE
Sin

Post by AKKOLADE »

One way to deal with the "too many subs" thing is to have a rule where the most players on a team is X. 6 is usually a good #.
Fred Morlan