PACE NSC on-site information update (prelim pools!)

Dormant threads from the high school sections are preserved here.
First Chairman
Auron

PACE NSC on-site information update (prelim pools!)

Post by First Chairman »

PACE National Scholastics Championship
Team Update: May 27, 2008

i. Team rosters
a. Team rosters can be viewed as a Google spreadsheet and can be added or modified at http://spreadsheets.google.com/ccc?key= ... 5eSw&hl=en . Do NOT replace real names with pseudonyms. It is very important we get this done as soon as possible so ballots can be prepared for Sunday’s vote for all-star team members.
b. If you have not sent me a team picture, please do so.
c. Please make sure all other information is provided, including college where graduating seniors will attend and the number of NSC’s (including current NSC) that each has participated in. Each student who has participated in at least 3 NSC’s will be recognized, so be truthful.

ii. Saturday morning on-site registration: Johnson Center Cinema around 8am.
a. It is located on the “basement” floor of the Johnson Center, which is the Student Center at the heart of campus. More than likely you will arrive in the main floor level (food court, bookstore level); if so, we should have a couple of whiteboard easels to point you where it is. If not, ask the Information Desk where the Cinema is (which is downstairs). Elevators are located near the Information Desk. Feel free to request and pick up a map of campus there too.
b. Staff meeting orientation will be held in the “Gold Room” in the Johnson Center around the corner from the Cinema near the restrooms.
c. The buildings we are using will not be that far away from the Johnson Center. Robinson is next door near the north entrance and parking garage, and Krug is across the small quad from Robinson just north. We will also have meetings in Enterprise Hall which is located next to the Johnson Center on the south entrance, and Sunday’s championship games will be played in Enterprise.

iii. Bring your buzzer systems and make sure they’re working.

iv. Visitor information can be found at http://www.gmu.edu/vcenter/ .
a. Hotels: if you are staying at the Hampton Inn Fairfax City, please be sure you have requested the “PACE” discount. Internet is included with the room charge, though you’ll have to get a passcode to access. Please be nice to the staff.
i. If you are a staff member who has already reserved a room, please let David Bykowski know that you have; conversely, if you are a staff member and have not reserved a hotel room, please let Dave know. If you do not, PACE will not pay for your rooms. I need to know if I have to make an additional reservation at a nearby hotel to accommodate you as soon as possible.
ii. If you are staying over on Sunday, also let Dave know. It would be better to consolidate those of you staying an extra evening if you don’t know others who are staying extra.
b. Parking: Buses can park in Lot K near the back. There’s a lot of construction, so your best entrance will now be the Braddock Road entrance (through Roanoke River Road). If you are coming from the north (University Drive), make sure you take a LEFT at the stop light where University Drive dead-ends into the future parking garage that is now a big dirt pile. Parking should be free in Lot K.
c. Sunday parking in Lot K: there is a graduation scheduled on Sunday. We should be starting early enough that parking in Lot K shouldn’t be a problem, but please park as “remotely” as possible relative to the Patriot Center.
d. Staff may park in the Visitor Parking Lot (Mason Pond) next to the Center for Fine Arts. I have a limited number of parking passes for one stay of 24 hours. If you intend to drive off-campus for food, I’d suggest you park in Lot K unless you really want to pay each time you exit the garage.

v. Food:
a. Johnson Center has limited food options (Indian food and sandwiches). I’ll be warning them a bit ahead to be sure they have enough food for both days. University Mall (10 minute walk, on the other end of Roanoke River Road) has a McDonald’s, Dunkin Donuts, and a few other places to eat. Otherwise, I suggest ordering pizza online as we will be, using the Johnson Center Food Court as your location of choice.
b. Staff: we’ll order pizza on-line through Papajohns as usual for lunch. There will also be a small buffet dinner Saturday night prior to the PACE business meeting (Johnson Center Meeting Room C, top floor). Dinner begins at 7pm, and we hope our meeting will start by 7:45 to 8pm. You are welcome to stay.

vi. Decorum
a. We expect all students and parents to be wearing appropriate clothing that does not offend other competitors or inappropriately “provides clues”. Everyone has a camera nowadays, so pictures will be taken throughout the tournament for your own history and our record-keeping as well as for any publicity for PACE, so dress appropriately. Casual is appropriate, and business casual is fine.
b. Staff should be prepared to wear business-casual. It is generally our tradition that Saturday dress will include a reference to your representative college or university.
c. In general, PACE members should wear PACE-branded clothing for Sunday, but if you don’t have one, dressy-Sunday is preferred. Because we need to update our website, a members photograph will be taken Saturday night and/or Sunday after all games are complete.
Emil Thomas Chuck, Ph.D.
Founder, PACE
Facebook junkie and unofficial advisor to aspiring health professionals in quiz bowl
---
Pimping Green Tea Ginger Ale (Canada Dry)
AKKOLADE
Sin

Re: PACE NSC on-site information update

Post by AKKOLADE »

Are prelim brackets released anywhere?
Fred Morlan
University of Kentucky CoP, 2017
International Quiz Bowl Tournaments, CEO, co-owner
former PACE member, president, etc.
former hsqbrank manager, former NAQT writer & subject editor, former hsqb Administrator/Chief Administrator
vcuEvan
Auron

Post by vcuEvan »

ILoveReeses wrote:conversely, if you are a staff member and have not reserved a hotel room, please let Dave know. If you do not, PACE will not pay for your rooms.
And what's a good way to reach Mr. Bykowski?
First Chairman
Auron

Post by First Chairman »

Byko is DB's avatar here. Otherwise it is through his aiquizbowl.com email address.

For Fred: I yield to Jessie (JCB) and DB the opportunity to release the prelim brackets. I think he's inputting the Sunday NAQT scores to be sure all the data are in before he starts to set up brackets.
Emil Thomas Chuck, Ph.D.
Founder, PACE
Facebook junkie and unofficial advisor to aspiring health professionals in quiz bowl
---
Byko
Yuna

Post by Byko »

You can reach me at dbykowski AT aiquizbowl DOT com.

I have tentative prelim brackets right now--I'd like to get some updated recalculations based on playoff data, but failing that, I think we're just about ready to go on those. I'll give it one more day, so I'd say sometime late Wednesday, they'll come out.
Dave Bykowski
Furman '00
Michigan '02
PACE 1998-2009
Director, JROTC National Academic Bowl Championship
Byko
Yuna

Post by Byko »

The preliminary round robin groups have now been finalized and follow thus:

Cain Division:
Centennial A
Chattahoochee B
Collegiate
MLK Magnet
Northmont
Stuyvesant
Thomas Jefferson A
Wheaton North

Grierson Division:
Brindlee Mountain B
Cave Spring
Dorman A
Hunter
North Allegheny A
Rappahannock County
T.W. Andrews
Walter Johnson

Hawkins Division:
Carbondale
Charter A
Dorman B
Maggie Walker Governor's School A
Porter
Raleigh Charter
Saint Charles
Thomas Jefferson C

Korosa Division:
Brindlee Mountain C
Brookwood
Charter B
Detroit Catholic Central
Douglas Freeman
Hoggard
Richard Montgomery A
State College B

Tyson Division:
Chattahoochee A
James Monroe
Maggie Walker Governor's School B
North Allegheny B
Richard Montgomery B
Rockford Auburn
Walt Whitman
Weddington

Weiser Division:
Brindlee Mountain A
Garfield Heights
North Kansas City
Parkersburg Catholic
Riner Auburn
Robinson
State College A
Thomas Jefferson B

At check-in on Saturday morning, each team will receive a copy of the preliminary round schedule, listing the room assignments and opponents for each round. The Cain Division will be playing in Krug Hall; all other divisions will have all of their games in Robinson Hall.
Dave Bykowski
Furman '00
Michigan '02
PACE 1998-2009
vcuEvan
Auron

Post by vcuEvan »

All these brackets are stacked...
Evan Adams
VCU '11, UVA '14, NYU '15
theattachment
Rikku

Post by theattachment »

All of those brackets have at least two teams that I would cower in fear of playing. I'd say Hawkins is the group of death (Charter A and Dorman B would be seeded 4th and 5th overall in my mind), but there's not a single one I would want to be in.
Colin O'Donnell -- ex-Eden Prairie High School (man, that feels nice to say), eventually University of Minnesota
vcuEvan
Auron

Post by vcuEvan »

theattachment wrote:All of those brackets have at least two teams that I would cower in fear of playing. I'd say Hawkins is the group of death (Charter A and Dorman B would be seeded 4th and 5th overall in my mind), but there's not a single one I would want to be in.
I'd definately put Cain as the hardest one. MLK finished second at PACE last year, TJ finished third, and Stuy finished fifth.
Evan Adams
VCU '11, UVA '14, NYU '15
Ondes Martenot
Tidus

Post by Ondes Martenot »

So is doug actually with Stuy?
Aaron Cohen, Bergen County Academies '08, RPI '12, NYU-???, NAQT writer, HSAPQ writer, PACE writer
First Chairman
Auron

Post by First Chairman »

Go to this link for the prediction thread. (Moved George's predictions there.)

It was our understanding Doug is not participating. We needed to be sure what we had as rosters was indeed correct.

It's too bad we have jobs... Dave and I probably could have done an online chat discussion of why the brackets were shaped the way they were, the placement of the pods, and the overall Road to the Final Four.
Emil Thomas Chuck, Ph.D.
Founder, PACE
---
Byko
Yuna

Post by Byko »

ILoveReeses wrote:It's too bad we have jobs... Dave and I probably could have done an online chat discussion of why the brackets were shaped the way they were, the placement of the pods, and the overall Road to the Final Four.
Keep an eye out next year for the 2008-09 edition of QB Bracketology. Seriously.
Dave Bykowski
Furman '00
Michigan '02
PACE 1998-2009
BobGHHS
Rikku

Re: PACE NSC on-site information update (prelim pools!)

Post by BobGHHS »

As much as I would love to be there, I look forward to receiving the phone call to tell me how badly we were stomped by NKC, TJ B, State College and Brindlee Mountain.

On another note, Dave, my kids will have the check for registration and are bringing it with them. The apes in our accounting department couldn't stop throwing feces at each other long enough to actually put it in the mail.
Bob Kilner
Kent State '06 - Boise State '10
Former Coach, Garfield Hts (OH) (2001-08)
Former Coach, Eastlake North HS (OH) (2015-22)

"I'd sooner fail than not be among the greatest." - John Keats
Byko
Yuna

Re: PACE NSC on-site information update (prelim pools!)

Post by Byko »

BobGHHS wrote:On another note, Dave, my kids will have the check for registration and are bringing it with them. The apes in our accounting department couldn't stop throwing feces at each other long enough to actually put it in the mail.
They did at least send us a purchase order, though, so we knew all was not lost.
Dave Bykowski
Furman '00
Michigan '02
PACE 1998-2009
The Goffman Prophecies
Quizbowl Detective Extraordinaire

Post by The Goffman Prophecies »

Byko wrote:
ILoveReeses wrote:It's too bad we have jobs... Dave and I probably could have done an online chat discussion of why the brackets were shaped the way they were, the placement of the pods, and the overall Road to the Final Four.
Keep an eye out next year for the 2008-09 edition of QB Bracketology. Seriously.
Do you think you can land Jim Nantz for the selection show?
Dan Goff
HSQB sysadmin

Virginia Tech '13
South Carolina '15
and a couple other places
Not Thomas Dale HS

STAAATS