Cavalier Classic XIII (10/25/08) at UVA

Dormant threads from the high school sections are preserved here.
theMoMA
Forums Staff: Administrator

Re: Cavalier Classic XIII (10/25/08) at UVA

Post by theMoMA »

http://student.virginia.edu/~quizbowl/c ... dings.html

Playoff rounds are starting to come up now.
Andrew Hart
Minnesota alum

Mechanical Beasts
Banned Cheater

Post by Mechanical Beasts »

Yessss, this confused me for a little while.

It looks like WJ is pulling away from MW A a bit, though that could be a function of their opponents, since they're still pretty tight in BC.

Sen. Estes Kefauver (D-TN)
Chairman of Anti-Music Mafia Committee

Post by Sen. Estes Kefauver (D-TN) »

Did Ophir really score 90 tossups in a game? If so, that would be quite impressive next to Daichi.
Charlie Dees, North Kansas City HS '08
"I won't say more because I know some of you parse everything I say." - Jeremy Gibbs

"At one TJ tournament the neg prize was the Hampshire College ultimate frisbee team (nude) calender featuring one Evan Silberman. In retrospect that could have been a disaster." - Harry White

Mechanical Beasts
Banned Cheater

Post by Mechanical Beasts »

Since the two statlines are 10-2 and 2-0, I'm tempted to say that it's pretty unlikely. But Daichi obviously shadows the rest of his team more than I could imagine, so I guess it's possible that it was just a good packet for him.
Andrew Watkins

Lapego1
Tidus

Post by Lapego1 »

Jeremy Gibbs Free Energy wrote:Did Ophir really score 90 tossups in a game?
That would be impressive next to a goldfish.
Mehdi Razvi
Maggie Walker Gov. School '07
University of Pennsylvania '11

"A goodly number of scientists are not only narrow-minded and dull, but also just stupid."
-James D. Watson (1928-)

Auks Ran Ova
Forums Staff: Chief Administrator

Post by Auks Ran Ova »

Lapego1 wrote:
Jeremy Gibbs Free Energy wrote:Did Ophir really score 90 tossups in a game?
That would be impressive next to a goldfish.
congratulations ophir has qualified for the hsnct
Rob Carson
University of Minnesota '11, MCTC '??
Member, ACF
Member, PACE
Writer and Editor, NAQT

The Toad to Wigan Pier
Tidus

Post by The Toad to Wigan Pier »

Gonzaga, Walter Johnson, and Maggie Walker went 4-1 in the top bracket. MW and Gonzaga had the lowest points per game so they played a play in. Maggie won this game and is now playing Walter Johnson in the finals.
William Butler
UVA '11
Georgia Tech 13

The Toad to Wigan Pier
Tidus

Post by The Toad to Wigan Pier »

In the semifinal match between Gonzaga and Gov, Gov won 420-260. In the finals, WJ beat Gov 425 to 240. Prelim stats are located at http://www.student.virginia.edu/~quizbo ... dings.html. Playoff stats are located http://www.student.virginia.edu/~quizbo ... dings.html. I am very sorry if your name is spelled horribly wrong, as I had forgotten to print out roster sheets.
William Butler
UVA '11
Georgia Tech 13

intothenegs
Wakka

Post by intothenegs »

This was a solidly run tournament. There were some delays but they weren't terribly long; and stats are up quickly, which is nice. The HSAPQ set used for this event was pretty good, except it had a good number of repeats, and I felt that bonus difficulty flucuated a lot. And it was definitely fun playing some amazing teams today.
Chuhern Hwang
James Monroe High School Class of 2009
University of Virginia Class of 2013

Blackboard Monitor Vimes
Forums Staff: Administrator

Post by Blackboard Monitor Vimes »

ClemsonQB wrote:
Sir Thopas wrote:
The Toad to Wigan Pier wrote:I am uploading stats after each round here. http://student.virginia.edu/~quizbowl/c ... dings.html
Holy crap, Maggie Walker is certainly to be feared. Crazy bonus conversion, remarkably even tossup getting. You guys will be at NNT, right?
To add on to this, they also seem very disciplined (through two games) as they have only two negs.
We were disciplined right up until our neg storm in the last round of the prelims (six negs). And Guy, as much as I want to go to ACF Fall, we'll be at NNT.
Sam (Sarah Angelo) Luongo,
Maggie L. Walker Governor's School 2010 / UVA 2014 / VCU School of Education 2016
President, PACE
Member, ACF

Sir Thopas
Auron

Post by Sir Thopas »

MLWGS-Gir wrote:
ClemsonQB wrote:
Sir Thopas wrote:
The Toad to Wigan Pier wrote:I am uploading stats after each round here. http://student.virginia.edu/~quizbowl/c ... dings.html
Holy crap, Maggie Walker is certainly to be feared. Crazy bonus conversion, remarkably even tossup getting. You guys will be at NNT, right?
To add on to this, they also seem very disciplined (through two games) as they have only two negs.
We were disciplined right up until our neg storm in the last round of the prelims (six negs). And Guy, as much as I want to go to ACF Fall, we'll be at NNT.
Yeah, so will we. Should be buckets of fun.
Guy Tabachnick
Hunter '09
Brown '13

http://memoryofthisimpertinence.blogspot.com/

wowitsquinthaha
Wakka

Post by wowitsquinthaha »

That +550.0 margin was due 10000% to my skills on da buzzer
Quint Carr
Maggie Walker A
GSAC XV Question Editor
GSAC XVI Chief Promoter/Celebrity

wexs883198215
Wakka

Post by wexs883198215 »

The individual stats in the playoffs seemed a little strange for WJ =_=", with non-Daichi toss-ups being seemingly arbitrarily assigned to the other three random people, ie not always the right person

anyway, not that it mattered, because we only got 10 toss ups in playoffs anyway

Oh, playing beside the legendary Ophir "900 ppg" Lifshitz and keeping score, I can tell you that he actually got 1 toss-up in that game =-=

Overall, this was really fun and stuff, and the readers were pretty cool
Kuo-Kai Chin
Walter Johnson High School '11
Harvard University '15
Stanford University School of Medicine '19

Gonzagapuma1
Tidus

Post by Gonzagapuma1 »

I just want to say that, minus the few delays, this tournament was very well run, and especially wanted to say that the HSAPQ set was excellent. Anyone writing a set to be played on in high school should shoot for this(I'm looking at you NAQT).
Dan Puma
Gonzaga HS, Montgomery College, University of Maryland
MAQT President-ish, 2014-2015
Champion of the Modern World, 2014
Member, PACE

aestheteboy
Tidus

Post by aestheteboy »

This tournament was pretty fun. Thanks to UVA and friends for a solid quizbowl tournament today.

I have to say I was some what disappointed with this HSAPQ set, although it's probably because I had such a high expectation after the success of ACF #1. It really looked like the set was finished hastily: many repeats, many weak lead-ins, and really odd question placement (e.g. 5 lit tossups in the first 7). I would comment on the sub-distribution (distribution itself was excellent) if I could without breaking the board rules. Also, although I don't necessary blame the set - our knowledge may just be too close together to differentiate -, there was a ridiculous number of buzzer races in our games against Gonzaga and Gov (like at least 5 each). I don't know, I guess buzzer races are inevitable aspect of quizbowl, but it really was conspicuous in the last few games of playoffs. With that said, I still love HSAPQ, and its products are undoubtedly better than anything its competitor has to offer.

The game against Gonzaga was literally the most surreal, demoralizing game I've ever played. Dan just was all over the questions in that game. I consider myself a really solid speed player, and he just destroyed me at every buzzer race. That's not to say that his points weren't legitimate - he got just as many tossups through superior knowledge. I am really afraid of Gonzaga. I shiver in fear.
Gov was also a lot more intimidating than I had expected. They are a really, really good team. They are capable of beating anyone, including Charter. I was originally skeptical when Shantanu said that Greg will be as good as him by his senior year, but now I see what he was talking about. I tremble in awe.

EDIT: forgot to mention - wonderful job at posting stats, Will.
Daichi - Walter Johnson; Vanderbilt; U of Chicago.
Daichi's Law of High School Quizbowl: the frequency of posting in the Quizbowl Resource Center is proportional to the likelihood of being overrated.

Frater Taciturnus
Auron

Post by Frater Taciturnus »

Basically Daichi hit the nail on the head on this one- It was definitely a very solid set, but some of the issues with repeats just got ridiculous.
George Berry
[email protected]
--------------
J. Sargeant Reynolds CC 2008, 2009, 2014
Virginia Commonwealth 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013,
Douglas Freeman 2005, 2006, 2007

jbarnes112358
Tidus

Post by jbarnes112358 »

Yes, nice job, Will, in your directorial debut. There were a few delays, but some of that was due to teams arriving late and whatnot. You mustered some excellent, experienced readers; and it is refreshing when tournaments get their stats up in real-time like that, instead of waiting days, weeks, or even forever like some tournaments do.

Overall question quality was excellent (save the editing problems). I agree that NAQT and others should look at these questions when they are released, as the style and distribution of these packets are certainly worthy of emulation.

Congratulations to Walter Johnson for their well-deserved tournament victory. Their comeback from a 180 point deficit against us put them in position to win the tournament. If we could have held the lead we would have been tournament champions. Daichi got on a roll in the second half of that game. At one point WJ put a major dent in our lead by 120 points in a three consecutive question run. And as dominant as Daichi was down the stretch, it was one of his teammates that kept the game alive for WJ by getting toss-up 19 to finally put them in the lead. In the final game, WJ got the big lead in the first half. And though we made a bit of a run in the second half, WJ pulled away in the end.

Congratulations also to Gonzaga for having an excellent day, especially in two most impressive victories, both their victory over WJ that created the circle of death to give us the second chance to win the tournament, and their dominating victory over TJ.

Although TJ had a rough time in the playoffs, they are definitely a formidable team capable of beating anyone out there. They will be contenders; you can count on it. We were lucky to beat them by a mere 15 points, due in part to some untimely negs on their part.
John Barnes
Maggie Walker Governor's School

"Buffalo buffalo Buffalo buffalo buffalo buffalo Buffalo buffalo."

mithokie
Rikku

Post by mithokie »

I will echo congratulations to Will on a well run tournament in his first go as TD. For constructive criticism, I would recommend that you improve your pre-tournament communication with the teams. Perhaps you can have another person from the UVA team serve as a communications director. I felt very in the loop since I check this board regularly, but I know some of the other coaches felt out of the loop regarding the start and end times of the tournament. The stats are little out of whack for the playoff brackets for the individuals on my team. If you want me to send you the corrections for my team, I would be happy to.

The moderators that we had were average to very good and the day of the tournament logistics were handled excellently, particularly considering the early departures. My team really enjoyed getting to play in the consolation playoff bracket against teams of similar ability. Having now played a 1 day tournament of this structure, I am completely sold on doing the same for our tournament on 11/8. I think that having an afternoon full of competitive matches for my team provided a good opportunity to learn as much as possible from the questions.

The questions were good, although I will also echo the already noted repeats that were in the set. I look forward to the release of the set in January so I can see the questions from the finals matches and use them in practice.

Thanks again,
Matt Beeken
Blacksburg High School
Math and Physics Teacher
(2012-??)ACE Coach, Blacksburg HS
(2010-12) ACE CO-Coach, Blacksburg HS
(2011-12) Science MACC Coach, Blacksburg HS
Volunteer Assistant (2009-2010) ACE Coach, Blacksburg HS
mbeeken AT mcps DOT org

closesesame
Wakka

Post by closesesame »

I think Dr. Barnes said it all in his post. Concerning us at TJ, I think our biggest problem is our wonderful capacity to not pay attention and neg. That definitely made a huge difference in a couple of games, especially the game against Gov. Our other problem is the relative lack of depth in literature and European history compared to Daichi, Puma, etc. Given the way we played we deserved the finish that we got.

This is a wonderful segue into my next point, which is that Dan Puma absolutely scared me yesterday. Yesterday he showed that he's a strong science player, too, so this should make things on the circuit really interesting. Daichi was sublime, as always. Let us not forget Maggie Walker, who played brilliantly all day to make the finals. Gov has wonderful team chemistry, a good distribution of knowledge, and most of them aren't seniors. This is a very valid reason to be scared...

Congrats to UVA for a well-run tournament. Everything seemed to run efficiently without a hitch; in fact, in our brackets, we always finished ahead in time of everyone else.
Naren Tallapragada
TJHSST '09
MIT '13

mithokie
Rikku

Post by mithokie »

One of my players lost a pair of glasses Saturday. I already sent an e-mail to Will, but for wider coverage I was wondering if anyone might have picked up a pair of glasses at the end of the tournament.

Thanks,
Matt Beeken
Blacksburg High School
Math and Physics Teacher
(2012-??)ACE Coach, Blacksburg HS
(2010-12) ACE CO-Coach, Blacksburg HS
(2011-12) Science MACC Coach, Blacksburg HS
Volunteer Assistant (2009-2010) ACE Coach, Blacksburg HS
mbeeken AT mcps DOT org

Magister Ludi
Tidus

Post by Magister Ludi »

HSAPQ would love to hear feedback on the set. We are already working to alleviate the repeats, but if you have any other specific comments please email me at: tedgioia @ starpower.net
Ted Gioia - Harvard '12
Editor ACF, PACE