Gift ideas for scholastic bowl players

Dormant threads from the high school sections are preserved here.
the return of AHAN
Auron

Gift ideas for scholastic bowl players

Post by the return of AHAN »

OK, so each year, I give my scholastic bowl team (the middle schoolers) a gift at the end of the school year. For the past several years, I've given them T-shirts that commemorate the season, maybe with the players' names listed, as well as the achievements of the season (tournament championships, etc). This year, I was hoping to do something different. Especially since a t-shirt of achievements would be notably more sparse than years past with only one tournament victory and no conference championship (5-year run snapped). :sad: Does anyone have any ideas??
Jeff Price
Barrington High School Coach (2021 & 2023 HSNCT Champions, 2023 PACE Champions, 2023 Illinois Masonic Bowl Class 3A State Champions)
Barrington Station Middle School Coach (2013 MSNCT Champions, 2013 & 2017 Illinois Class AA State Champions)
------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Stained Diviner
Auron

Re: Gift ideas for scholastic bowl players

Post by Stained Diviner »

Books
David Reinstein
Head Writer and Editor for Scobol Solo, Masonics, and IESA; TD for Scobol Solo and Reinstein Varsity; IHSSBCA Board Member; IHSSBCA Chair (2004-2014); PACE President (2016-2018)
manary
Lulu

Post by manary »

Books are good. In middle school we got toys (rubik's cubes, puzzles, mind games, trivia etc.) for math competitions.
Micah J. Manary
University of California San Diego MSTP '1x
California Institute of Technology '10
Saint Louis University High School '07
TheCzarMan
Tidus

Post by TheCzarMan »

Team Briefs.
Nick Petrilli
Bloomfield High School 2009
Freelance/Mercenary Moderator, TD, Player, and Reader
AKKOLADE
Sin

Post by AKKOLADE »

TheCzarMan wrote:Team Briefs.
:roll:

Books are a good suggestion, particularly quiz bowl related books/CDs/other products (in addition to a sneaky way of encouraging studying).
Fred Morlan
University of Kentucky CoP, 2017
International Quiz Bowl Tournaments, CEO, co-owner
former PACE member, president, etc.
former hsqbrank manager, former NAQT writer & subject editor, former hsqb Administrator/Chief Administrator
the return of AHAN
Auron

ReinsteinD wrote:Books
Any specific titles you'd recommend for the up-and-coming scholastic bowl player?
Jeff Price
Barrington High School Coach (2021 & 2023 HSNCT Champions, 2023 PACE Champions, 2023 Illinois Masonic Bowl Class 3A State Champions)
Barrington Station Middle School Coach (2013 MSNCT Champions, 2013 & 2017 Illinois Class AA State Champions)
the return of AHAN
Auron

TheCzarMan wrote:Team Briefs.
ummmm.... yeah..... underwear to middle school boys and girls from a teacher....

Did I mention I want to continue coaching next year? And continue teaching next year?
Jeff Price
Down and out in Quintana Roo
Auron

Post by Down and out in Quintana Roo »

Haha, i literally laughed out loud to that one. How horribly inappropriate...

Books are a good idea, definitely.
Mr. Andrew Chrzanowski
Caesar Rodney High School
Camden, Delaware
CRHS '97-'01
University of Delaware '01-'05
CRHS quizbowl coach '06-'12
http://crquizbowl.edublogs.org
dtaylor4
Auron

Post by dtaylor4 »

BarringtonJP wrote:Any specific titles you'd recommend for the up-and-coming scholastic bowl player?
Benet's. Bulfinch's.

In all seriousness, I'd suggest a collection of some sort, i.e. Shakespearean plays/poems or every short story and poem by Poe.
TheCzarMan
Tidus

Post by TheCzarMan »

Ok, ok, in all seriousness now.

The book idea sounds really good. Just from my own thoughts though, maybe try and find out what kind of books they like or what their favorites are and get them that novel.
Nick Petrilli
Bloomfield High School 2009
Freelance/Mercenary Moderator, TD, Player, and Reader
Blackboard Monitor Vimes
Auron

Post by Blackboard Monitor Vimes »

If any of your kids are interested in math, I'd recommend Sylvia Nassar's A Beautiful Mind. I only got through about half of it because I've been too busy with school, but I learned a lot about several mathematicians and I plan to finish it this summer. It's a good book.
Sam L,
Maggie L. Walker Governor's School 2010 / UVA 2014 / VCU School of Education 2016
PACE
ktour84
Lulu

Post by ktour84 »

Books, especially Benet's. Gift cards to Barnes and Noble or Borders would be a good choice if you didn't know what they preferred to read.

As for graduating seniors, if your program has enough money in its budget, some money for their college expenses would be a good idea. My coach did that when I graduated, giving each of the seniors $100 to be used towards textbooks.
Kelly Tourdot

Stillman Valley (IL) 1999-2003
Illinois 2003-2007
UW-Madison (employed in Art Library) 2013-present
AndyShootsAndyScores
Yuna

Post by AndyShootsAndyScores »

ktour84 wrote:As for graduating seniors, if your program has enough money in its budget, some money for their college expenses would be a good idea. My coach did that when I graduated, giving each of the seniors $100 to be used towards textbooks.
I'd love some of that from my coach... Lee :lol:.

To continue sounding like a broken record, books are great gift ideas. Doing something like PACE does with their 3rd/4th year participants with your students could be fun.
Andy Knowles
Brindlee Mountain, '08
University of Alabama, '12
David Riley
Auron

Post by David Riley »

I should probably break this off into another thread, but on a related note: has anyone ever thought of giving (relatively expensive) quiz bowl related books as awards instead of trophies? You could always keep the receipt in case the team already has it so that they could exchange it; the only reason I ask is I'm assuming many schools also have a problem with a lack ofr trophy/plaque space (and this is after letting my students keep anything that isn't a first place).

Back on topic...at our Honors Convocation each year I give my awardees a Franklin or Easton Press book that I try to match to the students' interests/personalities. These are relatively easy to find in used book stores and are almost always in mint condition (because people subscribe and then chuck it after three or four books).
David Riley
Coach Emeritus, Loyola Academy, Wilmette, Illinois, 1993-2010
Steering Committee, IHSSBCA, 1996 -
Member, PACE, 2012 -

"This is 1183, of course we're barbarians" -- Eleanor of Aquitaine in "The Lion in Winter"
ClemsonQB
Tidus

Post by ClemsonQB »

Alot of the tournaments Dorman has attended recently have given used books as awards instead of trophies including the U of MN tournament on 4/5, the VCU Last Minute tournament, and our own Season Ender. It saves alot of money for the host and can sometimes be interesting, although I have gotten some pretty shabby works of literature.
George Stevens

Dorman High School 2008
Clemson University 2012
The Goffman Prophecies
Quizbowl Detective Extraordinaire

Post by The Goffman Prophecies »

When I graduated, the coaches got together and gave the seniors that played personally engraved beer steins.

Yeah, I don't know why either.
Dan Goff
HSQB sysadmin

Virginia Tech '13
South Carolina '15
and a couple other places
Not Thomas Dale HS

STAAATS