Rule # 7

Dormant threads from the high school sections are preserved here.
ragnarok2012
Lulu

Rule # 7

Post by ragnarok2012 »

Since Matt Weiner locked the other thread

Basic Rules for this forum

7) Basic civility is required.

If you don't like Avery because he writes short questions, that is your problem. If you had said that you locked down the thread because the discussion is stupid, that would have made sense. But you stopped discussion AND publicly insulted someone else, regardless of what type of questions he writes.

Basic civility indeed...

I have never dealt or talked to Avery. I am not defending his short questions because I prefer good pyramidal questions, but I do protest treating him like a pariah.
And please respond with something other than "Avery writes short questions, so we will ignore or poke fun at him and defending him is a crime."

Matt Weiner: in the locked thread about Pickrell's leaving.

"Look guys, this is dumb. There is a difference between standing up for, like, NAQT's geography content or whatever, and being contrarian about a mercenary outsider who has threatened to put people in jail in the past for thwarting his quizbowl will. Bryce Avery sucks and should be reminded of that every time he posts here, or should be stopped from posting here. There's no reason to care if he's being treated fairly or not--if the world were fair, he would never have been allowed to inflict his questions on people for money in the first place. The thread is over."

Edit: to include Matt's statement

Irreligion in Bangladesh
Auron

Re: Rule # 7

Post by Irreligion in Bangladesh »

ragnarok2012 wrote:Since Matt Weiner locked the other thread

Basic Rules for this forum

7) Basic civility is required.

If you don't like Avery because he writes short questions, that is your problem. If you had said that you locked down the thread because the discussion is stupid, that would have made sense. But you stopped discussion AND publicly insulted someone else, regardless of what type of questions he writes.

Basic civility indeed...

I have never dealt or talked to Avery. I am not defending his short questions because I prefer good pyramidal questions, but I do protest treating him like a pariah.
And please respond with something other than "Avery writes short questions, so we will ignore or poke fun at him and defending him is a crime."

Matt Weiner: in the locked thread about Pickrell's leaving.

"Look guys, this is dumb. There is a difference between standing up for, like, NAQT's geography content or whatever, and being contrarian about a mercenary outsider who has threatened to put people in jail in the past for thwarting his quizbowl will. Bryce Avery sucks and should be reminded of that every time he posts here, or should be stopped from posting here. There's no reason to care if he's being treated fairly or not--if the world were fair, he would never have been allowed to inflict his questions on people for money in the first place. The thread is over."

Edit: to include Matt's statement
I'm pretty sure that Matt or Fred's next post will be about how Avery himself threw out the basic civility card a while ago with the "couldn't find their asses with 2 hands and a map" line or the threatening of petty and frivolous lawsuits.
Brad Fischer
Head Editor, IHSA State Series

Winnebago HS ('06)
Northern Illinois University ('10)
Assistant Coach, IMSA (2010-12)
Coach, Keith Country Day School (2012-16)

AKKOLADE
Sin

Post by AKKOLADE »

ragnarok2012 wrote:If you don't like Avery because he writes short questions, that is your problem. If you had said that you locked down the thread because the discussion is stupid, that would have made sense. But you stopped discussion AND publicly insulted someone else, regardless of what type of questions he writes.
I really don't think you read my post from earlier in that thread!

Edit: Also, I'm pretty sure that Matt is saying he deserves made fun of for his past actions of intimidation attempts and lawsuit threatening, not the length of his questions.
Fred Morlan
PACE President, 2018-19
International Quiz Bowl Tournaments, co-owner
University of Kentucky CoP, 2017
hsqbrank manager, NAQT writer (former subject editor), former hsqb Administrator/Chief Administrator, 2012 NASAT TD

Matt Weiner
Sin

Post by Matt Weiner »

1) The rules go out the window when people start threatening to sue each other and file criminal charges. That should go without saying.

2) The rules are designed to protect members of the quizbowl community. To me, that's a pretty wide-ranging term...it includes, at a minimum, all players of collegiate or high school quizbowl of any kind, even people who just play sort-of-qb things like It's Academic or College Bowl or whatnot, as well as all coaches, TDs, and question writers who are involved in those activities because they see themselves as members of a group working towards some sort of legitimate goal (like, making things fun for competitors, or teaching something, or so on). It does not include people who view quizbowl solely as a way to pump money into their pockets by providing the worst product possible, like Chip Beall, Richard Reid, or Bryce Avery. They are the antithesis of what a "community" is. A player from the most casual, most new team who wanders into this forum should be treated with respect. A person who has been involved with quizbowl for 15 years and only gotten more and more exploitative and dismissive of us in that time should not.
Matt Weiner
Founder of hsquizbowl.org