Quizbowl in the news

Dormant threads from the high school sections are preserved here.
Coelacanth
Rikku

Quizbowl in the news

Post by Coelacanth »

This article was in my Sunday paper. Not sure if anyone's interested, and I hope the link will work.

http://www.startribune.com/local/west/16699551.html
Brian Weikle
I say what it occurs to me to say when I think I hear people say things. More, I cannot say.
Sen. Estes Kefauver (D-TN)
Chairman of Anti-Music Mafia Committee

Re: Quizbowl in the news

Post by Sen. Estes Kefauver (D-TN) »

Can someone please shoot those administrators?
Charlie Dees, North Kansas City HS '08
"I won't say more because I know some of you parse everything I say." - Jeremy Gibbs

"At one TJ tournament the neg prize was the Hampshire College ultimate frisbee team (nude) calender featuring one Evan Silberman. In retrospect that could have been a disaster." - Harry White
rchschem
Yuna

Post by rchschem »

"Efforts to secure community or corporate support to pick up the annual $4,000 Quiz Bowl team pricetag have so far been unsuccessful."

That doesn't look like a solid gold buzzer set. Are tournaments that expensive up there?

Of course, we don't go to Panasonic...
Eric Grunden, Research Triangle High School/NCATA
theMoMA
Forums Staff: Administrator

Post by theMoMA »

I read this too, and it is really too bad. Armstrong is one of the more competitive high schools around here, and I know Matt Quinn pretty well, and he's a good guy. Mike Parks, one of the players on our DI ICT team, is a graduate of the Armstrong program. Hopefully someone steps up and keeps these guys afloat.
Andrew Hart
Minnesota alum
Coelacanth
Rikku

Post by Coelacanth »

As you locals are aware, the school district had a levy referendum last fall which failed. Quizbowl (and other extracurriculars) was one of the first things to go.

I voted yes on the referendum, so it's not my fault.
Brian Weikle
I say what it occurs to me to say when I think I hear people say things. More, I cannot say.
Stat Boy
Rikku

Post by Stat Boy »

Whoa, that's my cousins' school. I had no idea this was happening. Quizbowl, math team, and chess club!?
Adam Marshall,
Walt Whitman '08
Colby '12
Strongside
Rikku

Post by Strongside »

Yeah. That is unfortunate that Armstrong Quiz Bowl and other academic related activities are getting cut.

Armstrong has been one of the more active and competitive teams in quiz bowl in the past several years, so hopefully they can get some funding.
Brendan Byrne

Drake University, 2006-2008
University of Minnesota, 2008-2010
Irreligion in Bangladesh
Auron

Post by Irreligion in Bangladesh »

How's their basketball or football team doing? Well, I presume?
Brad Fischer
Head Editor, IHSA State Series
IHSSBCA Chair

Winnebago HS ('06)
Northern Illinois University ('10)
Assistant Coach, IMSA (2010-12)
Coach, Keith Country Day School (2012-16)
Strongside
Rikku

Post by Strongside »

In 2007, their boys basketball team lost in the state championship in the state's largest class.
Brendan Byrne

Drake University, 2006-2008
University of Minnesota, 2008-2010
BuzzerZen
Auron

Post by BuzzerZen »

Coelacanth wrote:As you locals are aware, the school district had a levy referendum last fall which failed. Quizbowl (and other extracurriculars) was one of the first things to go.

I voted yes on the referendum, so it's not my fault.
Anyone who votes against funding public schools is voting for the subsequent generation being one of under-skilled and uncreative drones.

Edit: Of course, there are probably well-funded public schools that are also churning out under-skilled and uncreative drones, so it's not quite that clear-cut. Still, the thing to do is probably get some cute elementary school kids to go door to door and whimper about how they don't get to have art class anymore.
Evan Silberman
Hampshire College 07F

How are you actually reading one of my posts?
AKKOLADE
Sin

Post by AKKOLADE »

There's always going to be a large amount of people who would rather spend their money on beer, lottery tickets, cigarettes and other such wastes than funding the education system.

MAH MONEY WHY I GOTTA SPEND IT ON THESE DAMNED KIDS
Fred Morlan
University of Kentucky CoP, 2017
International Quiz Bowl Tournaments, CEO, co-owner
former PACE member, president, etc.
former hsqbrank manager, former NAQT writer & subject editor, former hsqb Administrator/Chief Administrator
Matt Weiner
Sin

Post by Matt Weiner »

leftsaidfred wrote:There's always going to be a large amount of people who would rather spend their money on beer, lottery tickets, cigarettes and other such wastes than funding the education system.
Spending money on lottery tickets does fund the education system, in most states.
Matt Weiner
Advisor to Quizbowl at Virginia Commonwealth University / Founder of hsquizbowl.org
Coelacanth
Rikku

Post by Coelacanth »

Matt Weiner wrote: Spending money on lottery tickets does fund the education system, in most states.
As it does here in Minnesota.

I should maybe mention that the referendum was defeated in part by a consulting firm (from Iowa of all places) who specializes in mobilizing opposition to school levy referenda. The consultants were brought in by a local "taxpayers' rights" group.

Nominally, their campaign was built around a message of "the schools don't need more money; they need to spend the money they have more efficiently". However, what they actually said was "your tax dollars are financing the educations of minority kids from the nearby big bad city".

This discourse on local politics is completely unrelated to the funding situation for the quizbowl team, of course.
Brian Weikle
AKKOLADE
Sin

Post by AKKOLADE »

Matt Weiner wrote:
leftsaidfred wrote:There's always going to be a large amount of people who would rather spend their money on beer, lottery tickets, cigarettes and other such wastes than funding the education system.
Spending money on lottery tickets does fund the education system, in most states.
Right, but not as well as a levy set aside solely for the school system would on a per dollar basis, and I'd be shocked if 1% of people even consider that when purchasing their lottery ticket.
Fred Morlan
former hsqbrank manager, former NAQT writer & subject editor, former hsqb Administrator/Chief Administrator
saskwatch1991
Lulu

Post by saskwatch1991 »

isn't there some way that the quizbowl community can help or give them ways to set up more local, low-cost tournaments, that way they can keep competing even if they can't go to the larger tournaments?
AKKOLADE
Sin

Post by AKKOLADE »

I'm planning on e-mailing the coach tonight (assuming I can find an address) and try to find out what can be done to help.
Fred Morlan
BuzzerZen
Auron

Post by BuzzerZen »

Coelacanth wrote:I should maybe mention that the referendum was defeated in part by a consulting firm (from Iowa of all places) who specializes in mobilizing opposition to school levy referenda. The consultants were brought in by a local "taxpayers' rights" group.

Nominally, their campaign was built around a message of "the schools don't need more money; they need to spend the money they have more efficiently". However, what they actually said was "your tax dollars are financing the educations of minority kids from the nearby big bad city".
Racism sucks.
Evan Silberman
Hampshire College 07F

rchschem
Yuna

Post by rchschem »

leftsaidfred wrote:I'm planning on e-mailing the coach tonight (assuming I can find an address) and try to find out what can be done to help.
Benefit concert! I'm a tenor, for whenever we get together to record the single. I'd even be happy to stand in the back, like Dan Aykroyd.
First Chairman
Auron

Post by First Chairman »

It's not always easy to do anything on a "national" level here. I suppose if anyone on that team could have warned us ahead of time, we could have found some way to give them some breaks to particular events, but then... who knows. I remember having to go through the period of time when you couldn't pass a school levy in the Cleveland area, and a lot of programs got cut.

$4000 isn't a lot for a quiz bowl team, but I would like to know what "efforts" were used to keep qb going. Of course, who knows if they're asking the right questions to benefactors too.

I'd like to see if we could get a benefit concert. Matt Morrison??? :)
Emil Thomas Chuck, Ph.D.
Founder, PACE
Facebook junkie and unofficial advisor to aspiring health professionals in quiz bowl
---
Pimping Green Tea Ginger Ale (Canada Dry)
AKKOLADE
Sin

Post by AKKOLADE »

I has a response!
Matt Quinn wrote: Dear Fred-

Thanks for writing, and I'm glad the article has reached the greater quiz bowl community. I would be very interested to know what resources you can offer in the way of helping to save the Armstrong quiz bowl program. Currently a "Save the Arts" movement in our community is doing its best to raise funds, but we're still a long way off from the $4000 operating costs. Whatever assistance and information you can offer would be greatly appreciated. Feel free to e-mail back or call me at xxx-xxx-xxxx. I'm rarely near the phone during a school day, but could call you back. Thanks again for writing.
-Matt Quinn
Minnesota people - how expensive are your tournaments?
Fred Morlan
theMoMA
Forums Staff: Administrator

Post by theMoMA »

Our tournaments generally run around $70 per team, base fee, with the average team paying somewhere around $10 less than that.

I don't know what kind of costs are involved with joining NAQT's Thursday-night league, nor do I know what kind of entrance fees are charged at NAQT's regular-season tournaments, like GINVIT, SOCIAL, etc. I also am unaware how Armstrong's transportation works. Some schools have higher operating costs because their districts force them to rent buses and drivers for certain events. $4000 seems a little high, but I can certainly believe that that's the amount required in some situations.
Andrew Hart
Minnesota alum
STPickrell
Auron

Post by STPickrell »

This may also be counting 'stipend to coach,' 'transportation costs,' etc.

Is this school system also cutting games from non-revenue sports (e.g. wrestling, soccer, track, etc.) Cutting boys' basketball and football wouldn't work because most of the money comes from home games in those two.
AKKOLADE
Sin

Post by AKKOLADE »

STPickrell wrote:Is this school system also cutting games from non-revenue sports (e.g. wrestling, soccer, track, etc.) Cutting boys' basketball and football wouldn't work because most of the money comes from home games in those two.
The article gives no mention of sports; just "activities such as the math team, chess club and debate team".
Fred Morlan
cdcarter
Yuna

Post by cdcarter »

theMoMA wrote:Our tournaments generally run around $70 per team, base fee, with the average team paying somewhere around $10 less than that.

I don't know what kind of costs are involved with joining NAQT's Thursday-night league, nor do I know what kind of entrance fees are charged at NAQT's regular-season tournaments, like GINVIT, SOCIAL, etc. I also am unaware how Armstrong's transportation works. Some schools have higher operating costs because their districts force them to rent buses and drivers for certain events. $4000 seems a little high, but I can certainly believe that that's the amount required in some situations.
League play is $300 for the first team, $150 for each team after that. Regular season tourneys are usually $70-$85 with small discounts for buzzers and additional teams.
Christian Carter
Minneapolis South High School '09 | Emerson College '13
PACE Member (retired)
Matthew D
Yuna

Post by Matthew D »

IF it is anything like what it is in my system, then the transportation costs are the problem. Plus they won't let you go anywhere without taking a bus IF it is an official function. I am going to run into this same problem next year. My bus bill alone is going to be the undoing of my team before anything else.
Matt Dennis
Coach DAR Quizbowl Team
theattachment
Rikku

Post by theattachment »

cdcarter wrote:
theMoMA wrote:Our tournaments generally run around $70 per team, base fee, with the average team paying somewhere around $10 less than that.

League play is $300 for the first team, $150 for each team after that. Regular season tourneys are usually $70-$85 with small discounts for buzzers and additional teams.
You also have to consider coaching costs. I don't know how the structure works over in Armstrong, but our coach (who isn't on faculty at EP) gets paid for his trouble. I don't know how much, but it gets covered in our activities fees.

While tournaments are somewhat expensive (no more than in other places, especially considering that our league play ends up being around $16 a round if you make playoffs), the reality is that schools can't afford to have any activities, let alone QB. For us, the problem is less in the lack of money and more in the lack of foresight on the part of our activities department. QB's fees are the lowest of any non-intramural at the school, but it causes us to be really crunched on our budget. We can't realistically run a full season with national competitions without raising fees, which is why we don't travel or go to tournaments like WoQ. We wish we could, but even with EPIC we can't afford it.

I'm really saddened to hear that Armstrong, who always seems to have a good team, is cutting their program. If anyone can give them a hand, please do it.
Colin O'Donnell -- ex-Eden Prairie High School (man, that feels nice to say), eventually University of Minnesota
jbarnes112358
Tidus

Post by jbarnes112358 »

Hopefully someone will keep us updated on this story. $4000 is chump change for a school district like this - less than one tenth of one per cent of the 5 million they are trying to cut. It sounds to me like they are sacrificing these really inexpensive clubs as a political gesture to to lay a guilt trip on the voters who dared to vote against their tax increase. This newspaper article proves to me that their scare tactics are working.

Here are a few suggestions.

I'm sure others have suggested some of these things.

Get some of the players, the coach, or parents of players to sign up to speak at a school board meeting. Get a letter writing campaign. Annoy the heck out of them. Try to impress upon them how activities like quiz bowl and math club tie in with the educational mission of schools. Play up the successes that the club has achieved and how that success reflects favorably on the school district. They get some positive PR for that $4000. Explain how competitions like quiz bowl and chess give a positive competitive experience to students who are not necessarily competing athletically. Put a guilt trip back on the school board. By the way, is the school board elected or appointed?

Make some of these same arguments to potential donors. Appeal to the PTA or other parent fund-raising organizations. Does the school have athletic boosters, band boosters, or the like? See if an academic booster organization can be formed by parents.

See if the school Principal has any discretionary funds that could be tapped.

Host a tournament.

Sell stuff.

$4000 is really not that much money. Hopefully they will find a way to save the program.
mrichardquinn
Lulu

Post by mrichardquinn »

Greetings-

This Matt Quinn, Armstrong quiz bowl coach, my team is the subject of much of this thread. I spoke with Fred Morlan today, and we thought it might be a good idea for me to update our situation here. After sharing this letter that went out to members, parents, alumni, supporters and friends, I'll answer some questions raised in the thread so far. (Sorry, this will probably be long)...

As you have probably heard, the funding for the quiz bowl program at Armstrong high school has been cut due to the failure of the Robbinsdale Area Schools referendum last November. This season will be the final one for our team. Our plight was recently detailed in an article in the Minneapolis Star Tribune. A link to the excellent article written by Norman Draper follows… http://www.startribune.com/local/west/16699551.html

While this news has been a great disappointment, it does not have to be this way. In short if $4,000 can be raised, Armstrong can continue to have a quiz bowl team, and I can continue to be its coach. Many of you expressed concern and offered assistance when this news first broke officially in December. This message is intended to update you and let you know how you could help with the efforts to save quiz bowl.

1-Donate. Please know that an outright request for direct donations is difficult for me to do. But considering our circumstances, as well as many of your replies to the earlier news, I thought it would be appropriate. We have received $100 in donations ($3900 to go), with several other donors pending. If 100 people gave $40 each we would have a team. Armstrong High School is officially facilitating the donations process; in fact it is prominently featured on the school’s website… http://www.rdale.k12.mn.us/ahs

As you can see from the website, Patti Weldon, our activities director is helping to manage the collection of funds. (You might also have observed that we won the Classic Lake Conference Tournament this season.) To donate, make checks out to Armstrong High School; send them to the school’s address, 10635 36th ave. N, Plymouth, MN 55441. Put my name or Patti Weldon’s name as the recipient and make sure that you designate the funds for quiz bowl specifically.

2- Volunteer to help at or register to play in our fundraiser tournament. On Saturday May 17th (date tentative) we hope to host a tournament at the school to raise funds. We will need A) volunteers to help moderate and supervise the tournament. If you are willing to give up your Saturday for such an endeavor, we would be grateful for the help. We will also need B) players to sign up for the tournament. For a fee (amount to be determined) you could form a team of NON-high school players and compete against other recreational quiz bowlers. Presently, a lot of the tournament is in the brainstorm stage. The general idea is to run an official high school tournament simultaneously with an open recreational tournament, we really hope to promote this aspect to alumni of metro-area high schools. Hopefully the mighty R. Robert Hentzel will offer some of NAQT’s resources to assist us with this effort as well. If you are available to play or assist in a tournament, let me know.

3- Assist in the solicitation of donations from local businesses and corporations. Noah Marell and I have recently discussed scenarios to get support of local businesses. Basically, we plan to make calls and ask for $100 sponsorship donations, and for larger amounts advertise businesses on our team clothing or at tournaments. If this is something you would like to help with, contact me or Noah.

4- Continue to tell our story. The larger quiz bowl community is aware of our plight thanks to the following forum… viewtopic.php?f=6&t=5192
I spoke with Fred Morlan who is one of the Chief Administrators of this forum, and we had a great talk on how to continue our program. It is important that we keep our story and situation fresh in the minds of the public. For example, because of the article in the Star Tribune, I received several phone calls inquiring in what way concerned citizens can help, and donations are pending. Once again, it is difficult for me to advocate for special publicity for us, as I’m sure there are many other teams in similar situations. But I think if enough people hear about the program being cut, that will help. That being said, I believe quiz bowl at Armstrong has been treated fairly in the process of the Robbinsdale district budgets cuts. Nearly every other program like it in the district is facing the same situation. I also most certainly believe that at the school itself, Patti Weldon and David Dahl have been very supportive. In fact, David Dahl will continue to use what funds he can to send us to tournaments next year should the program continue.

These are just some of the ways that you might be able to offer aid. Please understand that I do not want to obligate anyone to assist, this should be strictly voluntary. I write you this message because of the overwhelmingly positive feedback you have given me over the years, and especially because so many of you have asked to know how you can help.
We have officially raised $100, and need another $3900 if we are to continue. The deadline for those funds to be in accounts at Armstrong High School is 6/30/08. I will update you periodically over the next few months to let you know how things are going, and especially to let you know about our tournament.

If you have any questions about the efforts, or quiz bowl, or just want to know how I’m doing (Grace and Lola are awesome by the way) or what you’re up to lately, drop me a line. My apology if you received this message at multiple accounts, I have several addresses for some of you. If you do not want to receive further e-mails, please reply and I will remove your address from the list.

Forum readers; While this might be more information than you wanted/needed to know, I thought it might answer some of the questions raised above. With Fred's permission, I am letting you know that your assistance may be valuable as well. Donations will be accepted, as will direct assistance with our fund-raising efforts, or simply advice as you have been posting.

To answer a couple questions...
1- The bulk of the $4000 cost is my salary. As much as I love coaching quiz bowl, I am also a high school teacher, husband and father. I have been paid for eight years of coaching, I could not as a self-respecting individual or union member work for free. I calculated that in 2007 I put in 300 hours of work, which means I get paid roughly $12.00/hour, much less than I do as a teacher. Were there not a budget crisis, I would ask for a raise, but my students/players still can't seem to remember that The Crying of Lot 49 was by Thomas Pynchon. :smile:

2- Transportation is also costly, but we plan to ask participants mostly to provide transportation themselves when possible.

3- Tournaments are costly, but our principal has agreed to cover entry fees within reason.

In regards to earlier statements in this thread regarding the politics of the situation, as an employee of the school district it would be very unwise for me to publicly comment, other than what I wrote in the letter above. My posting in this forum does not imply an endorsement of its content. (Which is perhaps obvious, but in my position, I should state it directly.)

I will update you an Armstrong's situation here periodically, and let interested readers know if our program will continue to exist. Lastly, thanks to all the people in the Minnesota quiz bowl community who have been very supportive in light of this situation, your compliments and comfort means a lot.

-Matt Quinn
Matt Quinn
Armstrong Quiz Bowl Coach 2000-2016
cdcarter
Yuna

Post by cdcarter »

mrichardquinn wrote:Greetings-
2- Volunteer to help at or register to play in our fundraiser tournament. On Saturday May 17th (date tentative) we hope to host a tournament at the school to raise funds. We will need A) volunteers to help moderate and supervise the tournament. If you are willing to give up your Saturday for such an endeavor, we would be grateful for the help. We will also need B) players to sign up for the tournament. For a fee (amount to be determined) you could form a team of NON-high school players and compete against other recreational quiz bowlers. Presently, a lot of the tournament is in the brainstorm stage. The general idea is to run an official high school tournament simultaneously with an open recreational tournament, we really hope to promote this aspect to alumni of metro-area high schools. Hopefully the mighty R. Robert Hentzel will offer some of NAQT’s resources to assist us with this effort as well. If you are available to play or assist in a tournament, let me know.
Hi Matt! I am Chris Carter from Minneapolis South. We were considering running a tournament on this day, but you guys should so do this, and I would be willing to run stats for it, and also get a team there.
Christian Carter
Minneapolis South High School '09 | Emerson College '13
PACE Member (retired)
First Chairman
Auron

Post by First Chairman »

I cannot really tell you how exactly to run something like this, but I would say that with enough advanced warning, I'm sure some of us can come up with questions you can use free of charge.
Emil Thomas Chuck, Ph.D.
Founder, PACE
Facebook junkie and unofficial advisor to aspiring health professionals in quiz bowl
---
Pimping Green Tea Ginger Ale (Canada Dry)
Sen. Estes Kefauver (D-TN)
Chairman of Anti-Music Mafia Committee

Post by Sen. Estes Kefauver (D-TN) »

I'd imagine for your non-HS tournament you could probably just host an open tournament mirroring Sun N Fun. Just a thought.
Charlie Dees, North Kansas City HS '08
"I won't say more because I know some of you parse everything I say." - Jeremy Gibbs

"At one TJ tournament the neg prize was the Hampshire College ultimate frisbee team (nude) calender featuring one Evan Silberman. In retrospect that could have been a disaster." - Harry White
scquizbowl
Wakka

Post by scquizbowl »

This is a sad story, as more people care about football, basketball and baseball at many schools.

Even at places like James Island, which has always been a quizbowl power, we have to compete for attention with our football team, who has only won five games in the last three years (another by forfeit), our basketball program, and our baseball team.

For a town of 20,000, our newspaper covers very little from even the football program, and we have to fight for space to put one picture in the newspaper about our team.

However, the Post and Courier often puts stuff in, and our stuff gets into their local section, which doesn't cover the part of town we live in.
Joe
James Island '10
Byko
Yuna

Post by Byko »

ILoveReeses wrote:I cannot really tell you how exactly to run something like this, but I would say that with enough advanced warning, I'm sure some of us can come up with questions you can use free of charge.
I know that Matt's PACE Set (PACE Set II) was used in Minnesota last weekend, but I have a PACE set from this year that hasn't even touched the Midwest and is not in the public domain that I'd be willing to donate to the cause. Just let me know: dbykowski AT aiquizbowl DOT com.
Dave Bykowski
Furman '00
Michigan '02
PACE 1998-2009
Director, JROTC National Academic Bowl Championship
rchschem
Yuna

Post by rchschem »

It's great to hear so much support from the QB community for this problem. But given the facts stated thus far, might I suggest that maybe the model here is broken? (Aside from the salary issue--I have not been lucky enough to work anywhere where extracurricular activity sponsorship is so well paid). We support our entire program through student and parent contributions ($20 per student at the beginning of the year, entirely voluntary) and hosting tournaments. Parents volunteer to drive and when we travel overnight students contribute to those costs as well. Last year by running two tournaments and collecting student dues we raised nearly $3000. We could get some financial support from the school if we needed it, but we haven't needed it yet.

Maybe it's that I'm lucky enough to work at a charter school and we are allowed to institute policies that just make sense, and we're not hamstrung by excessive district regulations about transportation, etc.

Our coaching staff is not paid, but I don't want to have the argument about teachers working without pay. Please.
plymn
Kimahri

Armstrong High School Quizbowl in the News

Post by plymn »

I have a lot of confidence in Matt Quinn. Based upon my past experience with the parents in the district, we are all more than willing to pitch in and help when needed. I am certain that the team will be back next year.

My son participated on the Armstrong HS team before he graduated. When the article was published I asked him about the possibility of raising funds. He was under the impression that even if the team was able to raise money the administration would not permit the team to continue. I believe that they wanted to make a make a point to the public for the voters for turning down the referendum.

I hope to meet many of you at the meet.

Plymn
Down and out in Quintana Roo
Auron

Post by Down and out in Quintana Roo »

Just wanted to say that i've been coach of a high school team for more than 2 years, this is only my third year teaching ever... and i don't get paid an extra dime for Academic Bowl coaching.

And i don't believe i'll ever ask for any extra money either.
Mr. Andrew Chrzanowski
Caesar Rodney High School
Camden, Delaware
CRHS '97-'01
University of Delaware '01-'05
CRHS quizbowl coach '06-'12
http://crquizbowl.edublogs.org
David Riley
Auron

Post by David Riley »

Matt: Let me second the suggestion above re a letter-writing campaign. When the powers that be wanted to close a library in my hometown (this was circa 1980, but still...) FIVE neighborhood associations with some very powerful people in politics and the arts in their membership did just that and won. Granted, this was a public library with a history of strong community support, but it''s certainly worth a try.

I am fortunate to have a very supportive administration so I can't even begin to guess what you are going through. Don't give up! I didn't notice any other Illinois responses in this forum, but I'll also get the word out!

David Riley
Scholastic Bowl Coach
Loyola Academy
Wilmette IL
David Riley
Coach Emeritus, Loyola Academy, Wilmette, Illinois, 1993-2010
Steering Committee, IHSSBCA, 1996 -
Member, PACE, 2012 -

"This is 1183, of course we're barbarians" -- Eleanor of Aquitaine in "The Lion in Winter"
jburnsOHS
Lulu

Post by jburnsOHS »

Interesting, the Differences from state to state. In 15 years or so of coaching in Georgia, my academic teams have never gotten any funding from the school or school system, not a dime. Our $5-6000 annual budget was and is raised or donated. (I have received a minimal supplement for about 8 years, if you want to call that school funding.
Jeff Burns
Coach Ola High School
McDonough GA
mrichardquinn
Lulu

Post by mrichardquinn »

Dear forum readers-

Thanks again for all of your input and support. Our fundraising program is going very well, many parents, students and alumni have given donations and we have officially raised $1150. We are holding a tournament 5/17/08, the announcement can be found in the Minnesota 07-08 thread. I am hopeful that we will be able to continue the program next year.

Through this process I have learned that no two quiz bowl programs are alike in terms of funding, coaching and resources. I can certainly appreciate that given the wide range of circumstances for coaches, that every person will have to choose what is best for him or her and their respective teams. Good luck to all in your efforts.

-Matt Quinn
Matt Quinn
mrichardquinn
Lulu

Post by mrichardquinn »

Dear Armstrong quiz bowl supporters,

We have great news! Thanks to your support the Armstrong Quiz Bowl program is restored for the 2008-2009 school year. Parents, alumni, members and community members have contributed $2300 over the last two months. After reading Norm Draper's excellent article on our program in the Star Tribune, Val Doherty, the CEO of the Doherty Employment Group agreed to double match $1000 of donations received, a special thanks to her and her company for their generous $2000 donation! We also held a fund-raiser tournament (Armstrong's Conceivable Regular Or Nearly Yearly Meet- ACRONYM) on May 17th that raised an additional $800, which we can use for tournament entry fees and supplies. Your support both in terms of donations and encouragement have been greatly appreciated.

In other news, we attended our 4th NAQT national tournament over Labor Day weekend, performing respectably, our "A" team finishing 5-5 and our "B" team 4-6. I look forward to coaching again next year, we graduated a lot of seniors, so I'll be busy with recruitment. Write back with updates on your lives, it is always great to hear how everyone is doing.

-Matt Quinn
-Armstrong Quiz Bowl Coach
Matt Quinn
BuzzerZen
Auron

Post by BuzzerZen »

This is great news. I hope you'll be able to take this experience and help other teams in your area keep going in the face of dire financial straits. And keep running tournaments; it's probably the best way for a quiz bowl team without outside funding to be financially self-sufficient.
Evan Silberman
Hampshire College 07F

David Riley
Auron

Post by David Riley »

That's wonderful! As I said earlier, NEVER underestimate community support!
David Riley
Coach Emeritus, Loyola Academy, Wilmette, Illinois, 1993-2010
Steering Committee, IHSSBCA, 1996 -
Member, PACE, 2012 -

"This is 1183, of course we're barbarians" -- Eleanor of Aquitaine in "The Lion in Winter"