Solon NAQT (2/16/08) - RESULTS

Dormant threads from the high school sections are preserved here.
BobGHHS
Rikku

Solon NAQT (2/16/08) - RESULTS

Post by BobGHHS »

I don't have full results of each bracket, but in the top bracket, the results were...

1. DCC A
2. Garfield Heights
3. Russell (KY)
4. Firestone
5. Defiance A
6. Culver A

Dan was the top scorer with 101 ppg, Sam Milner from Hawken was 2nd.

I don't have to make a lot of comments, but I will say this was the best tournament we've attended this year. It was well-run, the teams were awesome, and I had a great time, and I think our teams did as well.

The bowling social afterwards was a blast, and I really had a good time talking with some coaches I haven't seen in awhile like Phil Blessman from Culver, Matt Knupp from Russell and Joe from Tipp.

Tomorrow should be another great day of QB. Hopefully we can get the monkey off our back and beat DCC should we get the chance.
Bob Kilner
Kent State '06 - Boise State '10
Former Coach, Garfield Hts (OH) (2001-08)
Former Coach, Eastlake North HS (OH) (2015-22)

"I'd sooner fail than not be among the greatest." - John Keats
BobGHHS
Rikku

Post by BobGHHS »

Oh, one thing I wanted to add and get some feedback on, since this is the first NAQT tournament I've read at this year:

Is it just me, or over the last year or two, have the power marks in NAQT matches grown to last increasingly long into the question, or am I just imagining it? I mean, I know I can't discuss specific questions, but I'm a mediocre player at best and the coaches were playing on an unused packet at lunch and I powered like 5 questions.

Maybe I'm just imagining it, but can people who have played IS-72 and IS-74 comment on this and last year's sets?
Bob Kilner
Kent State '06 - Boise State '10
Former Coach, Garfield Hts (OH) (2001-08)
Former Coach, Eastlake North HS (OH) (2015-22)

"I'd sooner fail than not be among the greatest." - John Keats
ihavenoidea
Rikku

Post by ihavenoidea »

I just played on IS 74, and the power marks were extremely long. Things that would have been giveaways at any other sane high school sets were considered powers in this set.
swwFCqb
Rikku

Post by swwFCqb »

Yeah, I don't know what the exact statistics are, but it seemed that a lot of questions (I'm estimating 1/4-1/3 of all tossups) in this packet had their power marks end at the word right before FTP. I echo what the above poster (who ever (s)he is) said. There were many clues that appeared in power land which, IMO, were give-aways, but maybe that's just because I'm older and smarter than what I was in high school.
Steven Wellstead
Fisher Catholic High School '07
Case Western Reserve University '11
NAQT writer
AKKOLADE
Sin

Post by AKKOLADE »

How many teams were there?
Fred Morlan
University of Kentucky CoP, 2017
International Quiz Bowl Tournaments, CEO, co-owner
former PACE member, president, etc.
former hsqbrank manager, former NAQT writer & subject editor, former hsqb Administrator/Chief Administrator
PaladinQB
Wakka

Post by PaladinQB »

AKKOLADE
Sin

Post by AKKOLADE »

PaladinQB wrote:24.
Thanks, for both counts :)
Fred Morlan
University of Kentucky CoP, 2017
International Quiz Bowl Tournaments, CEO, co-owner
former PACE member, president, etc.
former hsqbrank manager, former NAQT writer & subject editor, former hsqb Administrator/Chief Administrator