Buzzer Systems

Dormant threads from the high school sections are preserved here.

Which type of buzzer system do you prefer?

A. Table-top Buttons
16%
B. Hand-Held Buttons
66%
C. Handpads
19%

Total votes: 64

Ugoogalizer
Kimahri

Buzzer Systems

Post by Ugoogalizer »

OK, so I'm guessing this has probably been done before, but if you actually think I'd check deeply enough to see if it has then your grossly underestimating my laziness. Anyway, what are your opinions on various buzzer sets (i.e. stick thingys, box-n-button type majiggers, or pad whosiwhatsits). By the way I realize those names I just gave were totally lame, but it's like 1:30 am & I haven't had coffee since like 8:30 pm so yeah. I'll just start this out by saying that I absolutely detest :twisted: "The Judge" :twisted: . I've only heard this from a few people until recently when State College A almost unanimously agreed that they would prefer substandard buzzers [the bell thing wasn't working] to :twisted: "The Judge" :twisted: ). And yes, I will put devil things surrounding the crappy-buzzer-system-which-must-not-be-named everytime I'm forced to write it. Anyway it was just nice to find a significant group of people who share the same sentiments that I do. Personally I like the stick buzzers (which by the way make it infinitely easier to spew out euphemisms in rapid succession when your friend has given up that's-what-she-said-jokes for Lent). Anyway just give me your thoughts & comments on your favorite or most irksome buzzers, praise of my ridiculously goodlookingness, etc...

P.S. For the poll, I'm using the official names for the different types of Officiators (just go to Anderson Enterprises for the pictures/clarification, blah, blah, blah...)

P.P.S. I'm not intentionally dissing anyone who has :twisted: "The Judge" :twisted: , but I mean really... :twisted: "The Judge" :twisted: ?

P.P.S. As a side note (or rather post post script), :twisted: "The Judge" :twisted: may not be the worst buzzer system I've encountered. Sophmore year at Cave Spring (which by the way is an amazing tournament) there was this system where each buzzer was a gigantic pad with a tiny button in the middle and a tiny light at the top. That would have been weird enough, but no. When someone buzzed in, his/her light would come on no matter what with the buzzer of the person who first buzzed in flashing the fastest and so on. So yeah, I may hate that one more than :twisted: "The Judge" :twisted: . By the way let me know if you've encountered that one too.
Uhh Earth to Matilda, I was at a day spa. Day, D-A-I-Y-E. Okay?
-Derek Zoolander
Blackboard Monitor Vimes
Auron

Post by Blackboard Monitor Vimes »

I'm also not fond of the paddle buzzers, whether it be the Judge or the distinctly crappier version we have that lived for less than a season. I would agree that the ones that flash at different speeds are the worst I've seen, although I strongly dislike the strobe light ones (I refer to them as seizure buzzers). So far I've only seen those at college tournaments.

I prefer the handheld ones to the ones with just buttons; those get annoying, especially in a long game. However, my personal favorite may be the "cash register" buzzers which make a little toy cash register-esque dinging sound. The noise amuses me, and the buttons are bigger than most sets/harder to miss if your hand slips.

One advantage to the button sets is that they're slightly harder to reaction-buzz on, but those are usually irrelevant unless you're startled by, say, an air conditioner (cough cough Quint cough). Although Will used to buzz if someone sneezed, whether he had a buzzer or not.
Sam L,
Maggie L. Walker Governor's School 2010 / UVA 2014 / VCU School of Education 2016
PACE
the return of AHAN
Auron

Post by the return of AHAN »

My school owns a few different systems, including a QuikPro (with hand-held buzzers... my kids call them joystick-style, despite the inaccuracy of such a moniker), as well as some table-top styles (an old Zeecraft, and two QuizMachines from Quizco.com). My kids prefer the handhelds to the point that a few kids will pick up the Quizmachine buzzer completely in their hand to achieve the same effect as having the handheld buzzer. To be sure, I can't help but think this is a slight advantage in a buzzer-beater situation when the opponent is unfamiliar with the system. In 3 matches against our archrivals this year, our only victory was at a tourney when where we were using the QuizMachine. Our opponents were taken aback by the QuizMachine to the point that the coach even remarked how off-putting the 'quacking' noise was! Since that time, we've used 'their' system and had our butts whipped both times.
Jeff Price
Barrington High School Coach (2021 & 2023 HSNCT Champions, 2023 PACE Champions, 2023 Illinois Masonic Bowl Class 3A State Champions)
Barrington Station Middle School Coach (2013 MSNCT Champions, 2013 & 2017 Illinois Class AA State Champions)
------------------------------------------------------------------------------
DrakeRQB
Rikku

Post by DrakeRQB »

MLWGS-Gir wrote:I would agree that the ones that flash at different speeds are the worst I've seen, although I strongly dislike the strobe light ones (I refer to them as seizure buzzers). So far I've only seen those at college tournaments.
We have the Classroom Challenger, which is the one that lights up at different speeds depending on buzz order. That is a great system to use IN PRACTICE; you can gauge how fast players are relative to each other instead of just seeing who was fastest. That said, I would never consider taking it to use at a tournament.

We recently ordered an Officiator with hand-held buttons as that's what our players seem to prefer at tournaments.
Alex Drake
Robinson HS
Concord, N.C.

http://www.robinsonquizbowl.com
Bigfoot isn't the pr
Wakka

Post by Bigfoot isn't the pr »

I voted for the Judge, again, for some reason.
Rob Poirier
CSW 07'
President of University of Delaware Academic Competition Club
mceschermaniac4
Lulu

Post by mceschermaniac4 »

i prefer and held stick buzzers too. i really hate those ones where the light for the buzzer is on top, but the button is on the bottom. it seems really pointless to me. we have three judges and two of them are broken (not surprising to anyone i hope). I dont see whats so bad about them. you can actually press them down a little while listening the question so you can have an advantage over the other guy.
Bigfoot isn't the pr
Wakka

Post by Bigfoot isn't the pr »

mceschermaniac4 wrote:i prefer and held stick buzzers too. i really hate those ones where the light for the buzzer is on top, but the button is on the bottom. it seems really pointless to me. we have three judges and two of them are broken (not surprising to anyone i hope). I dont see whats so bad about them. you can actually press them down a little while listening the question so you can have an advantage over the other guy.
I always felt like knowing how to prime the judge was a rewarding technique that definitely gave you an advantage, perhaps unfair, over those unfamiliar or unskilled with the judge.

Opinions?
Rob Poirier
CSW 07'
President of University of Delaware Academic Competition Club
cdcarter
Yuna

Post by cdcarter »

Bigfoot isn't the preferr wrote: I always felt like knowing how to prime the judge was a rewarding technique that definitely gave you an advantage, perhaps unfair, over those unfamiliar or unskilled with the judge.

Opinions?
It gives no more of an unfair advantage than reading "You Gotta Know Lists".

I hate the Zeecraft handhelds because the grooves don't align with your fingers at all. Thoughts?
Warbourne
Lulu

Re: Buzzer Systems

Post by Warbourne »

I used to hate handpads because our rival school used to use them on every home match, but now that it's a required thing for all teams in our league to have them, I've grown used to them.

But handheld ones are the best, despite the fact that they're banned now. D=
Maxwell Sniffingwell
Auron

Re:

Post by Maxwell Sniffingwell »

cdcarter wrote: It gives no more of an unfair advantage than reading "You Gotta Know Lists".
Sarcasm, right?
Greg Peterson

Northwestern University '18
Lawrence University '11
Maine South HS '07

"a decent player" - Mike Cheyne
Tegan
Coach of AHAN Jr.

Post by Tegan »

Warbourne wrote:I used to hate handpads because our rival school used to use them on every home match, but now that it's a required thing for all teams in our league to have them, I've grown used to them.

But handheld ones are the best, despite the fact that they're banned now. D=

Huh? Your league forces particular styles of lockouts for all members? Is there a reason for this?
Warbourne
Lulu

Post by Warbourne »

I think the decision was based on the premise that since different teams had different buzzer system, it created an 'unfair advantage' for the home team for a particular match.
Auks Ran Ova
Forums Staff: Chief Administrator

Post by Auks Ran Ova »

Warbourne wrote:I think the decision was based on the premise that since different teams had different buzzer system, it created an 'unfair advantage' for the home team for a particular match.
Absolutely absurd.
Rob Carson
University of Minnesota '11, MCTC '??, BHSU forever
Member, ACF
Member emeritus, PACE
Writer and Editor, NAQT
cdcarter
Yuna

Post by cdcarter »

Skate or Die wrote:
Warbourne wrote:I think the decision was based on the premise that since different teams had different buzzer system, it created an 'unfair advantage' for the home team for a particular match.
Absolutely absurd.
QFT
Christian Carter
Minneapolis South High School '09 | Emerson College '13
PACE Member (retired)
First Chairman
Auron

Post by First Chairman »

Maybe it would be true if the argument was, "hey they use 100-Hz AC electricity when our system should be using 60-Hz." Or it's unfair that we have to be accustomed to the metric system. :razz:
Emil Thomas Chuck, Ph.D.
Founder, PACE
Facebook junkie and unofficial advisor to aspiring health professionals in quiz bowl
---
Pimping Green Tea Ginger Ale (Canada Dry)
Warbourne
Lulu

Post by Warbourne »

I don't get it either. xD
We used to use those handheld buzzers for our home meets and now we're stuck with...'The Judge'.
Wall of Ham
Rikku

Post by Wall of Ham »

Warbourne wrote:I don't get it either. xD
We used to use those handheld buzzers for our home meets and now we're stuck with...'The Judge'.
Wow.

Add some Chip Beale and that's like, quizbowl hell.
Barry
Cornell
Maxwell Sniffingwell
Auron

Soupy Norman wrote:
Wow.
What's with all the hate for "The Judge"? I just ordered one today...
Greg Peterson

Lawrence University '11
Maine South HS '07

The Atom Strikes!
Tidus

Post by The Atom Strikes! »

Frederick Dukes wrote:
Soupy Norman wrote:
Wow.
What's with all the hate for "The Judge"? I just ordered one today...
I have to agree. While the Judge's cords are rather short, it's really easy to set up and there's less risk of dropping something like the Zeecraft personal light on the floor.
Henry Gorman, Wilmington Charter '09, Rice '13, PhD History Vanderbilt '1X
Captain Sinico
Auron

Post by Captain Sinico »

People who care about what buzzer system they're using have missed the point of quizbowl.

MaS
Mike Sorice
Former Coach, Centennial High School of Champaign, IL (2014-2020) & Team Illinois (2016-2018)
Alumnus, Illinois ABT (2000-2002; 2003-2009) & Fenwick Scholastic Bowl (1999-2000)
Member, ACF (Emeritus), IHSSBCA, & PACE
BuzzerZen
Auron

Post by BuzzerZen »

ImmaculateDeception wrote:People who don't care about frivolous repetitive arguments have missed the point of the Internet.

MaS
Fixed.
Evan Silberman
Hampshire College 07F

How are you actually reading one of my posts?
Maxwell Sniffingwell
Auron

BuzzerZen wrote:
ImmaculateDeception wrote:People who don't care about frivolous repetitive arguments have missed the point of the Internet.

MaS
Fixed.
I'm not sure I agree with this...
Greg Peterson

Lawrence University '11
Maine South HS '07