2008 Michigan NAQT State HSCT - 3/29/08 at Ann Arbor, MI

Dormant threads from the high school sections are preserved here.
alkrav112
Rikku

2008 Michigan NAQT State HSCT - 3/29/08 at Ann Arbor, MI

Post by alkrav112 »

Hi all - it's that time of year again! Michigan Academic Competitions is pleased to invite your team to the 2008 Michigan NAQT State High School Championship Tournament. This event will be held on Saturday, March 29, 2008, on the Central Campus of the University of Michigan in Ann Arbor.

Since 1995, Michigan Academic Competitions has hosted several tournaments for high schools throughout the state of Michigan. This year's Michigan NAQT State High School Championship promises more of the same, as we hope to draw some of the finest schools from throughout Michigan. This event will be run with questions provided by NAQT (IS-76). As a result, teams entering the 2008 Michigan NAQT State High School Championship will be able to qualify for the 2008 NAQT High School National Championship on May 23-25, 2008, in Chicago, Illinois.

Each match will consist of 2 9-minute halves or 24 tossup questions, whichever comes first. Players who first answer a question correctly will be rewarded with points and a chance for the entire team to answer bonus questions, all of which are worth a maximum of 30 points. Questions come from all areas: science, math, history and government, literature, current events, geography, popular culture, fine arts, sports, mythology and religion, social science, and general knowledge; with the academic areas heavily emphasized.

In an attempt to ensure that teams have the opportunity to compete against teams of equal skill, the schedule will incorporate a pooled round robin for preliminary play. In addition, we guarantee that each team will play a minimum of seven matches, with the top teams playing head-to-head to determine the tournament champion. Our goal is that each team plays as many matches as possible. We will also attempt to ensure that teams from the same school will not play each other during the preliminary rounds.

We will begin registration at 8:15 a.m. and hold a mandatory meeting for players and coaches at 8:45 a.m. Rounds will begin at 9:00 a.m. and continue through the morning and early afternoon with a lunch break around 1:00 p.m. Playoffs and a brief awards ceremony will follow, and we expect to finish no later than 6:00 p.m.

If you know of any teams that you think might be interested in this event, please forward this email to them. Thank you.

Registration for this event will initially be limited to 32 high school teams, and we will initially allow each school to register ONLY 1 TEAM due to high demand for the tournament. When you register your school, you will have the option to apply for multiple teams, which will be used to complete the tournament field on a first-come, first-served basis. At 6:00 pm on March 18th, we will accept all 2nd teams based on this list and will complete the field with teams beyond that as of 12:00 pm on March 24th, 2008. Teams may consist of an unlimited number of players, only four of whom may play at once. It is our hope, however, that all the students attending the tournament will receive a good deal of playing time.

We will accept teams on a first-come basis until Noon on Monday, March 26th, 2008, unless we first reach the tournament maximum (if this happens, we will place these teams on a waiting list). Registration may only be done by e-mailing Andy Kravis at [email protected]. You will receive confirmation of your registration by e-mail and will also receive a $5 discount per team on your entry fee.

Checks should be made out to "Michigan Academic Competitions," and may either be brought to the tournament, or mailed to:

Michigan Academic Competitions
c/o University Activities Center
4002 Michigan Union
530 S. State Street #541
Ann Arbor, MI 48109-1349

The entry fees for the 2005 Michigan NAQT State High School Championship are:

First team from a school $90
Each additional team from a school $80
Discount for a fully functional buzzer system
(max 3 per school) -$5
Early bird discount for registering by March 15, 2008 -$5/team
New program discount* -$10/team
Online registration discount -$5/team
Distance discount (100-275 miles)** -$10/team
Extreme distance discount (over 275 miles)** -$50/team
Minimum entry fee per team $25

* If your school has not participated in a University of Michigan tournament within the past two years, then you are eligible for this discount.
** Distances are determined as based on distance one way from your school to the tournament site according to maps.google.com.

Our web page contains a Frequently Asked Questions at http://www.umich.edu/~uac/mac/faq.html section that we hope will answer any questions you have regarding the tournament. Also, feel free to e-mail [email protected] with any questions you may have about the tournament.

We look forward to seeing you on March 29th!

Andy Kravis
Michigan Academic Competitions

Edit 1: Barring flux capacitor style buzzer systems, the top 15% of teams will qualify for the nearest future HSNCT. (Thanks Trygve.)
Last edited by alkrav112 on Tue Jan 29, 2008 7:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
alkrav112
Rikku

Post by alkrav112 »

Also, when you register, it would be extremely helpful if you would include a contact phone number and the number of buzzers you plan to bring. Thanks!
millionwaves
Auron

Re: 2008 Michigan NAQT State HSCT - 3/29/08 at Ann Arbor, MI

Post by millionwaves »

alkrav112 wrote: As a result, teams entering the 2008 Michigan NAQT State High School Championship will be able to qualify for the 2005 NAQT High School National Championship on May 23-25, 2008, in Chicago, Illinois.
Ours is better because people can qualify for the 2008 HSCNT.
Trygve Meade
Illinois, ACF

Above the Star-Apple Kingdom
alkrav112
Rikku

Post by alkrav112 »

3/17/08 - Field Update:
Novi*
Brighton
Huron*
DeWitt*
White Cloud
Troy*
GPN
Hartland
Stevenson
Rochester
DCD
East Lansing
DCC*
Okemos

* = indicates that the school has a team on the waitlist.

There are still plenty of spots left, but not much time to sign up! Tomorrow is the last day before waitlisted teams are accepted, and with the large amount of space left, chances are that all waitlisted teams will get into the field.
Andy Kravis
Michigan '09
Columbia Law, '13
alkrav112
Rikku

Post by alkrav112 »

3/18/08 - Field Update:
Novi
Novi B
Brighton
Huron
Huron B
DeWitt
DeWitt B
White Cloud
Troy
Troy B
GPN
GPN B
Hartland
Stevenson
Rochester
DCD
East Lansing
DCC
DCC B
Okemos

Total: 20

That means that there's still room for 12 more teams!
Andy Kravis
Michigan '09
Columbia Law, '13
gtb12
Kimahri

Post by gtb12 »

Will you be enforcing negs at this tournament?

At NAQT-style tournaments held at the other Michigan university this year negs/timers were not brought into play.
Quantum Mushroom Billiard Hat
Rikku

Post by Quantum Mushroom Billiard Hat »

I assume negs are being enforced. If not, I would be very confused.
Michael Hausinger
Coach, Bay City Western High School
formerly of University of Michigan and East Lansing High School
alkrav112
Rikku

Post by alkrav112 »

Yes, negs will be enforced. Standard NAQT rules will apply unless otherwise noted. Those rules can be found at http://www.naqt.com/rules.html, and you can e-mail me with any questions about them at [email protected].
Andy Kravis
Michigan '09
Columbia Law, '13
alkrav112
Rikku

Post by alkrav112 »

Hi all -

I've received several inquiries about information for this weekend's NAQT State tournament - sorry about the delay, but here it is.

We will begin registration at 8:15 a.m. and hold a mandatory meeting for players and coaches at 8:45 a.m. in 3427 Mason Hall, which is on floor 3 of Mason (there are maps in the building). At the moment, there is a bit of construction surrounding the Mason/Angell/Tisch/Haven complex. It should not affect parking or any road travel, but some sidewalks are blocked off. If you find yourself near a blocked sidewalk, follow the signs that say "To Diag," and you'll get yourself to the right area. For further info, see the FAQ section of http://www.umich.edu/~uac/mac. Rounds will begin promptly at 9:00 a.m - PLEASE do not be late or you will risk forfeiting your first match. These rounds will be strictly by NAQT rules (if you have questions, visit http://www.naqt.com/rules.html or ask me), and will consist of 2 9-minute halves, so the day should run fairly swiftly. As the field currently stands at 18 teams, I plan to divide the field in half. Each bracket of 9 teams will complete a full round robin, which means that each team will each play at least 8 rounds, in addition to however many playoff rounds they earn. Playoffs will be run as an 8-team single-elimination bracket, with the top four teams from each preliminary bracket advancing. The tournament should end sometime around 5 or 6 pm, but don't quote me on that.

The current field stands as follows:
Novi
Novi B
Brighton
Huron
Huron B
DeWitt
DeWitt B
Troy
Troy B
GPN
GPN B
Stevenson
Rochester
DCD
East Lansing
DCC
DCC B
Okemos

Again, please bring checks to the tournament if they are not already in the mail; they should be made out to Michigan Academic Competitions.

If you have any further questions, please e-mail me at [email protected] or [email protected] and I'll get back to you as soon as possible.

If you have any further questions, PLEASE let me know. I'm more than happy to help, and I'd much rather take 10 minutes now than 10 minutes the morning of.

Thanks!
Andy
Andy Kravis
Michigan '09
Columbia Law, '13
cdbarker
Lulu

Post by cdbarker »

If you'd like to follow along with "live stats" from the tournament, please go to:
http://www.collegequizbowl.org/2008MISt ... dings.html

Thank you.
Quantum Mushroom Billiard Hat
Rikku

Post by Quantum Mushroom Billiard Hat »

Final standings:
1: EL
2: GPN A
t3: Novi & DCC A

GPN A beat Novi in the semis.
EL beat DCC A in the semis and GPN A in the finals.

I don't know the exact playoff scores. Andy should post them soon, I think.
Michael Hausinger
Coach, Bay City Western High School
formerly of University of Michigan and East Lansing High School
alkrav112
Rikku

Post by alkrav112 »

Congratulations to East Lansing for winning the 2008 Michigan NAQT HSCT. We had a strong showing this year, and I want to thank the 18 well-prepared teams that came out this morning. I also would like to thank all my staffers, and in particular Craig Barker for posting live stats throughout the day. Following are playoff round results from an 8-team single-elimination bracket, which pitted the top 4 teams from each bracket against each other:

Quarterfinals:
Detroit Catholic Central A (370) def. Detroit Country Day (245)
East Lansing (585) def. Ann Arbor Huron A (85)
Novi A (360) def. Detroit Catholic Central B (180)
Grosse Pointe North A (195) def. Troy B (175)

Semifinals:
East Lansing (350) def. Detroit Catholic Central A (300)
Grosse Pointe North A (385) def. Novi A (290)

Finals:
East Lansing (405) def. Grosse Pointe North A (275)
Andy Kravis
Michigan '09
Columbia Law, '13