Number of Students who play quizbowl

Dormant threads from the high school sections are preserved here.
harpersferry
Wakka

Number of Students who play quizbowl

Post by harpersferry »

I was wondering if anyone had ever come up with an estimate for the total number of quizbowl players in high school across the country, regardless of format. Obviously there's numbers available for national tournaments, but has any attempt ever been made to quantify our eclectic community? If so, what was it? If not, would anyone be willing to try?
STPickrell
Auron

Post by STPickrell »

About 275 Virginia schools play Scholastic Bowl, with maybe 25 private schools that play as well.

With an average of 6 students per team, that's 1,800 students in Virginia.
The Atom Strikes!
Tidus

Post by The Atom Strikes! »

According to Byko's rankings, there are about 2000 High School quizbowl teams active this year. Assuming that each team has about four players (which may or may not be true), that's about 8,000 players, although many tournaments haven't been recorded, and may be, and many teams bring subs, so there are probably even more than that.
Henry Gorman, Wilmington Charter '09, Rice '13, PhD History Vanderbilt '1X
kCobain911
Lulu

Post by kCobain911 »

Why don't we get in our respective state/areas and have someone from the school give a number of how many play? I realize that leaves a lot of schools whose states aren't represented out of the picture.
Tegan
Coach of AHAN Jr.

Post by Tegan »

In Illinois, 542 schools are entered in the 2007-08 IHSA State Series (232 Class AA, and 310 Class A). I would say the average A school has ten players (about enough for a varsity and frosh-soph, though some don't have a frosh-soph), and the average AA school has about 12 (competing total at the frosh-soph and varsity levels) ....so call it 5,700.

In honesty, there are likely no more than 50 teams that I would consider active (maybe a little more, likely a little less). I would say these teams might have more players, and maybe comprise about 700 players.
J C Bennett
Lulu

Post by J C Bennett »

2007 Kentucky Governor's Cup participation stats:
High School: 4610 students, 256 schools
Middle School: 6487 students, 372 schools
Elementary: 8512 students, 535 schools

Total number of students: 19609
Tegan
Coach of AHAN Jr.

Post by Tegan »

Matt Weiner (as Cyrus): We've got Kentuckians and Illinoisians in the same place, and no one is wasting anyone.

Now look here, there are maybe 40,000 quizbowlers in these states, and no more than 400 Chippers to stand in our way

crowd: <<yeahh ... YEAHHHHH>>

WeinerCyrus: Can you dig it?!

crowd: <<<yeahhhh!>>

WeinerCyrus: Can you dig IT???!!!!!

crowd: >>>YEAH!!!<<<

WeinerCyrus: CAN YOU DIIIIIIGGG IAATTTTTTT

crowd: >>>YEAAAAHAHAHAAAH!!!!<<

Wiener is popped by Chipper, and blames it on the Warriors ... chase to Coney Island ensues. Appearance of team called the baseball furies confuses all.
AKKOLADE
Sin

Post by AKKOLADE »

Tom, you are a beautiful mess.
Fred Morlan
University of Kentucky CoP, 2017
International Quiz Bowl Tournaments, CEO, co-owner
former PACE member, president, etc.
former hsqbrank manager, former NAQT writer & subject editor, former hsqb Administrator/Chief Administrator
J C Bennett
Lulu

Post by J C Bennett »

Tom, in honor of that landmark post I am going to mandate that all State Finals participants wear denim overalls, striped shirts and roller skates.
mlaird
Tidus

Post by mlaird »

<begin degenerative course towards more 80's movie references>
Looks to Fred Morlan to be the guy with bottles on his fingers calling for "Egan.... come out and play...."
First Chairman
Auron

Post by First Chairman »

Maybe some states are better at surveying the number of students who play than others... but it surprises me that we don't have a more solid answer.

More importantly, we also don't know on average how many games the bulk majority of these students play, how often they meet for practice, how many competitions they go to, if these students are involved in other activities, or how qb complements their education.

Otherwise, I'm sure if we did a Facebook group entitled "If there are one million students who play quiz bowl in the US, then Tony Kornheiser will put a rat in his mouth..." we'll get a clue of how many there are out there. :)
Emil Thomas Chuck, Ph.D.
Founder, PACE
Facebook junkie and unofficial advisor to aspiring health professionals in quiz bowl
---
Pimping Green Tea Ginger Ale (Canada Dry)
AKKOLADE
Sin

Post by AKKOLADE »

Will Run PACE for Reese's wrote:Otherwise, I'm sure if we did a Facebook group entitled "If there are one million students who play quiz bowl in the US, then Woody Paige will put a rat in his mouth..." we'll get a clue of how many there are out there. :)
Fixed for accuracy, as I have no doubt Paige would do that.
Fred Morlan
University of Kentucky CoP, 2017
International Quiz Bowl Tournaments, CEO, co-owner
former PACE member, president, etc.
former hsqbrank manager, former NAQT writer & subject editor, former hsqb Administrator/Chief Administrator
Tegan
Coach of AHAN Jr.

Post by Tegan »

3-4 years ago, when we were doing our All-State nominations, I asked each sectional to send me a copy of all their teams' record sheets. It was not for the complete season, but as I recall, it worked out to (out of nearly 500 teams)

An average of about 12 matches up to that time.
About 50 teams had zero matches, but still wanted to play in the State Series.