Bergen County Academies Tournament 4/05/08 (Hackensack, NJ)

Dormant threads from the high school sections are preserved here.
Ondes Martenot
Tidus

Bergen County Academies Tournament 4/05/08 (Hackensack, NJ)

Post by Ondes Martenot »

The Bergen County Academies is pleased to announce the Bergen Open Academic Tournament (BOAT). BOAT will take on April 5th at 200 Hackensack Avenue, Hackensack NJ, which is conviently located in Northeastern New Jersey, meaning teams from NJ/NY/PA/CT/DE and even further can easily attend. For now I know very little of the details except that it will be NAQT format. If you are interested in attending, please let me know by posting a reply or emailing me at [email protected]
The Infanta
Wakka

Post by The Infanta »

If we have no prior commitments, we're interested. We just need to know what set you'll use.
Marisol Brady (they/them)
Kellenberg Memorial HS '09
University of Delaware '1X
TheCzarMan
Tidus

Post by TheCzarMan »

Sounds good. What are the chances of this being an actual NAQT qualifier?
Nick Petrilli
Bloomfield High School 2009
Freelance/Mercenary Moderator, TD, Player, and Reader
Ondes Martenot
Tidus

Post by Ondes Martenot »

i have no idea what set number we'll be using, but it will definitely be a NAQT qualifier
Golran
Auron

Post by Golran »

I would be interested in attending, with or without my coach! (He doesn't like out of state trips)
Ondes Martenot
Tidus

Post by Ondes Martenot »

what school are you guys from?
Golran
Auron

Post by Golran »

I'm Ward Melville (the guy in the purple shirt on the team that lost to you guys in the 1st round at HHHE today).
TheCzarMan
Tidus

Post by TheCzarMan »

The NAQT site says the tournament is set for March 29th and that the set # is 74. However, that set number is being used at Temple, which we were hoping to attend. I'm also unsure about this, but I believe that the Millburn tournament is also on the 29th of March, however it may have been moved to the 22nd. Is there any other possible set you could move to, possibly an A series or maybe 66 (While a little old, has only been used once).
Nick Petrilli
Ondes Martenot
Tidus

Post by Ondes Martenot »

that's a mistake on the naqt site
we wouldnt schedule our tournament on the same day
im going to contact someone from naqt and let them know

i still don't what packet set we're going to use
Ondes Martenot
Tidus

Post by Ondes Martenot »

yeah...we're going to talk to naqt about geographic exclusivity which we should probably be able to get
TheCzarMan
Tidus

Post by TheCzarMan »

aarcoh wrote:yeah...we're going to talk to naqt about geographic exclusivity which we should probably be able to get
Thanks. Just keep me/everyone else informed on what packet it is/probably will be. I'm hoping it is something other than IS-74 which will free us up for Temple, but its all your decision and more than likely we will go with your tournament if it is IS-74.
Nick Petrilli
Ondes Martenot
Tidus

Post by Ondes Martenot »

anyway....

i talked with naqt and they should hopefully move the tournament back to april 5th

The questions are not that easy. The problem is there are no other regular packets other than is-74. they ere either a-level packets or state champhionship packets, or something else weird

so i leave it up to you, my fellow quiz bowl players to help me out. three choices.

1. use the original is-74 set and you wont be able to go to the temple tournament
2. use a-level questions (im really not in favor of this, i think they're way too easy)
3. get questions some other way, such as writing questions (bear in mind that no one on our teams has ever written before) or acf, or something else
DumbJaques
Forums Staff: Administrator

Post by DumbJaques »

1. use the original is-74 set and you wont be able to go to the temple tournament
As stated before, DACQ Weekend of Quizbowl is also using IS-74. As is CMU, I believe.
3. get questions some other way, such as writing questions (bear in mind that no one on our teams has ever written before) or acf
I believe regionals is available! No, seriously, there seems to be a real supply/demand problem in the area. Are not enough people house-writing?
Chris Ray
OSU
University of Chicago, 2016
University of Maryland, 2014
ACF, PACE
STPickrell
Auron

Post by STPickrell »

As for a third-party provider there is myself, Dynasty (Chris Ray), Aegis Questions, or Academic Initiative.

But -- I'll be honest and say that my questions and editing aren't really all that challenging for top 50 teams.

It seems NAQT undersupply is an issue in some parts of the country.
TheCzarMan
Tidus

Post by TheCzarMan »

I'm in favor of A packets or Pickrell's packets personally. A lot of conflicts with IS-74 it seems.
Nick Petrilli
Ondes Martenot
Tidus

Post by Ondes Martenot »

i might go with pickrell's questiond (im going to read over some sample packets and see what they're like)

i really don't want to use a-level packets, from my experience they always turn into buzzer races
Ondes Martenot
Tidus

Post by Ondes Martenot »

one more thing....i wanted this tournament to be an naqt qualifier, does anyone else care about that?
ieppler
Rikku

Post by ieppler »

If Stuyvesant and/or Hunter are not attending Gonzaga, the AI PACE set might be a good choice.
Ian Eppler from Brown University
SHP Pirate
Rikku

Bergen

Post by SHP Pirate »

Seton Hall Prep is also planning to attend Gonzaga. (As well as DACQ if we can.) What about packets from last season or regionals? I agree that A-packets will mostly be buzzer races but how many of the top fifty are you hoping to attract? As there are VERY few NAQT events in New Jersey this year (Rutger, Princeton, and Chatham) I whink that you will probably draw quite a few local teams. I am sure that the A level packets will work just fine. (Just be careful with your pricing ... PLEASE! A few years ago we received an invite to a BCA tournament with a cost of something like $100 per team!) Let us know. I am sure that you could also attract HHH, Kellenberg, and perhaps even White Plains and Greely.
Ondes Martenot
Tidus

Post by Ondes Martenot »

the reason we were going to charge 100 a team was because our administration was charging us thousands of dollars to keep our school open. That probably wont be an issue this time
Ondes Martenot
Tidus

Post by Ondes Martenot »

after some deliberating, we have decided to go with packet IS-75A. I know A level questions can at times be buzzer races, but they worked out well at LIFT and should be fine for our tournament

the only other tournament around here using IS-75A is one at state college
Golran
Auron

Post by Golran »

I was just looking into how I would be able to go, then noticed that the date may be problematic for us (and quite a few other New York teams). April 5 is the date for New York State Mathematics League.
TheCzarMan
Tidus

Post by TheCzarMan »

Any entry forms or such done yet for this tournament?
Nick Petrilli
Ondes Martenot
Tidus

Post by Ondes Martenot »

yeah...at the moment nothing is really planned out too well, except for question set

but the registration form will basically be like every other form for an naqt trnt, similar pricing and all

when i have more info ill let you know
Aaron Cohen, Bergen County Academies '08, RPI '12, NYU-???, NAQT writer, HSAPQ writer, PACE writer
CHS Patriots
Lulu

Post by CHS Patriots »

Could you send information/registration & whatnot to [email protected] ?
Colonia hopes to send 2 teams.
Thanks! =]
Colonia High School
180 East St.
Colonia, NJ 07067
BroNi
Rikku

Post by BroNi »

4 teams
4 buzzers
1 moderator

Bro. Nigel
Bro. Nigel, Coach, Kellenberg Memorial HS, NY
Ondes Martenot
Tidus

Post by Ondes Martenot »

For the moment I'm going to have to hold off on details for the tournament because it may not actually run. Our incompetent administration is giving a very hard time and being the idiots they are, may tell us we can't run a tournament EVEN THOUGH they told us about a month and a half ago we could run it. Anyway, I'm sorry for any inconvenience this may cause, but we're doing our best to get this thing running at any cost. I'll keep you guys updated if anything happens.
Aaron Cohen, Bergen County Academies '08, RPI '12, NYU-???, NAQT writer, HSAPQ writer, PACE writer
First Chairman
Auron

Post by First Chairman »

I presume you got all their commitments in writing, right? :)

Besides, I don't know why you all can't be a PACE qualifier... no one's interested??? :wink:
Emil Thomas Chuck, Ph.D.
Founder, PACE
Facebook junkie and unofficial advisor to aspiring health professionals in quiz bowl
---
Pimping Green Tea Ginger Ale (Canada Dry)
Ondes Martenot
Tidus

Post by Ondes Martenot »

I really don't what kind of commitment we initially got, it was our advisor and another student who I think handled.

Plus the administration is so bureaucratic with so many different "boards" that all it takes is one to not allow the tournament and the whole thing will be called off. Again, I apologize to all the teams that were interested but this is not how I wanted it to be. It MIGHT still run but as of this moment we can't say anything for sure. We let you know one or another next week. (we have break this week).
TheCzarMan
Tidus

Re: Bergen County Academies Tournament 4/05/08 (Hackensack, NJ)

Post by TheCzarMan »

Any more news? I really hope this tournament runs, as it would be probably the last oppurtunity for my team to get a bid to Nationals.
Nick Petrilli
Ondes Martenot
Tidus

Post by Ondes Martenot »

For all purposes, the tournament is dead. I will probably post an official "death notice" soon.
mistermoravian
Lulu

Post by mistermoravian »

Sorry to hear about the pending cancellation of BOAT, which my teammates and I had looked forward to attending. Since several teams would like another shot at qualifying for Nationals (or at playing against teams of that caliber), what if Moravian were to host a tournament on April 5th using the same IS-75A packet?

I'm being a bit impulsive, of course, as I haven't run any of this by my teammates, coach, or administration. We couldn't host our annual fall tournament for Lehigh Valley schools, however, so our administration might welcome an opportunity for us to raise funds. As long as we manage to recruit enough readers and staffers, then I can't foresee ourselves running too afoul of the Moravian administration.

According to a quick search on Mapquest, it takes slightly over an hour and a half to drive from Hackensack to Bethlehem. The Lehigh Valley is almost equidistant from Philly and NYC, and we're also poised to lure local teams, some of which are very talented, from :chip: territory in central and eastern Pennsylvania.

Again, NOTHING I've written here will be official until I consult the powers that be at Moravian. It's not the eleventh hour quite yet, so I'm hopeful that we can step in and run this NAQT qualifier in Bergen County Academies' stead.

My name is Ben Schenkel, by the way, and I'd be grateful if any of you could help out at this *hypothetical* competition. As soon as I propose this idea to and get a response from our administration--be it yea or nay--I'll follow up on this thread right away. In the meantime, please don't hesitate to contact me either on these boards or on Facebook!
SHP Pirate
Rikku

Post by SHP Pirate »

Actually ... Seton Hall Prep is thinking about running the same packet on April 5 in the event that Bergen needs to cancel. We have already received permission to run the tournament at school. We are located in West Orange, NJ ... about 20 miles outside of New York. If Bergen had to cancel would teams be interested in making the trek here?
Michael T. Zinsmeister
Director of Admission
Seton Hall Preparatory School
West Orange, NJ
TheCzarMan
Tidus

Post by TheCzarMan »

SHP Pirate wrote:Actually ... Seton Hall Prep is thinking about running the same packet on April 5 in the event that Bergen needs to cancel. We have already received permission to run the tournament at school. We are located in West Orange, NJ ... about 20 miles outside of New York. If Bergen had to cancel would teams be interested in making the trek here?
I would greatly enjoy it if Seton Hall could pick up this tournament and keep it running. You could definitely count Bloomfield in.
Nick Petrilli
Ondes Martenot
Tidus

Post by Ondes Martenot »

BOAT is officially, 100% dead, due to our incompetent, corrupt and bureaucratic administration who can spend thousands of dollars on electron microscopes that they don't even use yet can't give us a couple hundred for a tournament that would have probably made money. They are a bunch of idiots who are out of touch with reality. But enough ranting.

Yes Bergen would definitely come to a tournament at Seton Hall, and I will email all the quiz bowl coaches that emailed me about BOAT and tell them about the tentative Seton Hall tournament.
BroNi
Rikku

Post by BroNi »

Seton Hall, you can count on Kellenberg being there.
Bro. Nigel, Coach, Kellenberg Memorial HS, NY
TheCzarMan
Tidus

Post by TheCzarMan »

SHP Pirate wrote:Actually ... Seton Hall Prep is thinking about running the same packet on April 5 in the event that Bergen needs to cancel. We have already received permission to run the tournament at school. We are located in West Orange, NJ ... about 20 miles outside of New York. If Bergen had to cancel would teams be interested in making the trek here?
If you could, could you email my advisor with the information for the tournament fees etc. etc.

kputnotky @ bloomfield. k12 . nj . us

I know you and my advisor have met before so it should be a formality. I'd say theres a 100% chance of us coming, just email her with the info.
Nick Petrilli